Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh! Let's the play the "What If He Was Junior Enlisted?" game!

If he was junior enlisted he probably would have tried to play it off like she just regretted the hookup and

lite_sleepr posted:

I worked with a guy named A1C Hartley at Eglin AFB in the early 00's. Back when MySpace was the rage, he hooked up with a 15/16 year old while he was 19/20. NO way could have told she was a minor either, unless you carded her, and be honest, nobody cards girls. She regrets the hook up, reports him, and after a standard trial he gets 2 or 4 years in jail for statutory rape, sex offender registration, and a dishonorable.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I mean normally I'd call you a loving nonner but that LT definitely needs to come in and apologize. I think the best way for that to happen is for your flight commander to stand up for his dudes and speak with the LT's flight commander. No matter how lovely the system, it's safe to say that an institutional problem is not a SrA's fault and it's super lovely to try and push one around.

lite_sleepr posted:

The personnelist in question is a new GS-5 :kiddo:

even worse then!

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 12, 2017

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Deborah Lee James is gone, so we can all say goodbye to one of America's worst SecAFs. Under her tenure the Air Force eagerly slashed personnel, immediately realized it should not have slashed personnel and spent the next few years furiously doing nothing to stop the manpower crisis all while spending all its political capital on establishing a new low point of trust between Congress and the Air Force. I look forward to seeing whether she can do more damage to American military readiness on the board of whichever defense contractor she's undoubtedly going to immediately go work for.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Boy you sure have it all figured out

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

"Once you graduate from basic, you're an adult" - two a1cs in the subway line discussing getting tongue piercings

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

quote:

“If I don’t have pilots to fly, the enemy has a vote, and if I can’t put warheads on foreheads, then (ISIS) is winning,” he said.

What is this unholy mess of logic

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

From what I can tell the bloodbath on the enlisted side has actually been worse than on the officer side, but enlisted leadership is much better at covering things up

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Arc Light posted:

We had a Numbered Air Force commander's call today. The two-star reviewed the results of a recent climate survey. He read a couple excerpts from my survey where I griped about manning and morale, and pointed out that I could be replaced with a computer. My squadron commander sat in the front row and looked increasingly uncomfortable.

It was a good day.

:cabot:

This makes it sound like the two-star, after reading excerpts, himself pointed out that you could be replaced by a computer

and i love it

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit more time specific than last time I took Space-A. There's websites like militaryfares.com but $600 round trip two months out sounds like bullshit.

I have gone with abctravel.de and it has worked out. Some people in my office use militaryfares. I do not know how they get their fares, and I'm pretty sure I'd enter a world of pain if I had to reschedule my travel, but it worked.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Air Force really feeds on people who don't understand how to break into the 10%. Those dudes are always the most ate up and grouchy when they get out too. Having said that, a few strategic volunteer gigs here and there can keep you coasting for quite a while

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I did nights while deployed and it was great, I wouldn't want to do it at home station though because most of the base does not know or care. Life was bad enough for the poor maintainers, one of whom got yelled at once for not shaving (because he had to stop by finance after working 12 hours overnight)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Derek Dominoe posted:

Who do I need to call to make sure the general preening in his service dress with his bitch chief at a crowded airport reaccomplishes his Force Protection CBT? Because I'm under the impression that failure to thoroughly study and comply with all CBTs is tantamount to crimes against humanity and treason.

They'll never catch him, you know he'll sprint for the gate the second they say "uniformed military members are welcome to board," scattering A1Cs like bowling pins in the process. You might have a chance if you wait at the service counter - it's p. much guaranteed he'll stop by to ask for a business class seat.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Popeyes serves breakfast now so I think there's a new king in town

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Still in, plan on coasting to retirement. The key to not going insane seems to be putting mission stuff ahead of AF stuff to the detriment of making rank. But fuckit, can't stay in the AF forever, and I'd rather focus on developing skills that'll get me a contracting or govvie job afterward anyway

More or less same here. I'm at the phase of my career where it's mutually understood that I'm not on the right train to get to Rank Town. But I still like what we do and as long as I pay lip service to the rat race they'll let me quietly keep doing the fun jobs. And they still pay me, so hey cool

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah, you gotta accept that the stuff you learned about will not play a large role in your military career, even if you're doing personnel/finance. Your first few years will largely revolve around supervising enlisted personnel, many of whom may have just graduated high school. Most of the admin officers I know really enjoy their lives, and they can be stationed almost anywhere (check out \this cute little wikipedia image to see where). There are a few careers in the Air Force where your college degree leads directly into what you're working on, but they're mostly related to engineering and cybercrap. Having said that, the mishmash of degrees also works in your favor - you may qualify to fly things or have other options you may not be aware of. As xaarman alluded to, if you think you might be interested in the military then you also might want to consider getting the ball rolling on OTS because it can be quite a while between submitting your application and actually joining.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

whatspeakyou posted:

So this made me laugh:

The other day we had the new SecAF come by to speak to us. Our leadership decided long sleeve blues would be the UOD because reasons. First thing she asks when she gets in was "...is this the uniform you guys would normally wear today?" and we all told her no. She then proceeds to look at our general and say "...why?"

Small moral victories keep me going.

She did have some things to say that made me legit more happy than normal, but I'm waiting to see if any of it comes to fruition, i.e. reviewing all 1,306 AFIs we have to determine if they even need to exist anymore.

Ahahahahaha drat, she's already done more good than DLJ ever did

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The answer is it doesn't matter, nothing matters, you will be doing the exact same thing with your degree as a mechanical engineer or psychology major would. Sell yourself as a put-together person with People Skills and emphasize whatever teaching/leadership skills you have (do you run a club, etc.) or whatever. There are bands, and maybe they have a specialized hiring process for people that have demonstrable musical skills, but they are primarily enlisted positions. Accept that, even if you get accepted to OTS, it may be a year or more before you ever see a government dime. Or better yet, don't join the military!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ha, the Ramstein Commander's Challenge just popped up on the JQP feed. I wasn't planning on attending (I have this thing I do where I don't go to things like that) but, like, obviously the mission isn't going to implode because people take a day to have fun together. You wouldn't know that from the fever pitch of bitching and moaning on Facebook though! It's worth a look for all the incredible justifications people give for why they should care that other people are having fun (Marines don't do that, Robin Olds would hate it?, Chinese Air Force will somehow be stronger by briefing pictures of it?????)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Also it's not like any of his stories have any meaningful payoff.

Original story: Some O-6 just made an incredibly bad decision that ruined the careers of a dozen people, several agencies were complicit, base leadership swooped in and covered the whole thing up, and nothing has been done by the IG or any other agency

Follow-up, two years later: Yeah, still covered up

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hamlet442 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, University of Florida teaches OODA loop for its management course. To add to that even more, all of the stuff I glanced over for course 15 reads almost exactly like my management course. I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote course 15 just copied straight out of some college business management course.

Copied? Or licensed for a tremendous amount of money and the promise of a job?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

It happens long before you hit O-4. I've been talking to ADOs who are new (<2yr) captains. That job is supposed to be prepping mid to senior majors to be DOs and poo poo.

For a while we were sending non-aircraft commander LTs to current operations

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wild T posted:

How did the gayest Air Force in the world get beat by the Navy in penis skywriting?

Today I am ashamed.

Chemtrails disperse too quickly :smith:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

xaarman posted:

Officially on Terminal. Couldn't be happier, and very excited for things to come!

Congratulation

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

xaarman posted:

On Terminal until the end of the month and got a CJO from a legacy airline today. Life is good.

And I'm beyond excited, timing couldn't be better. Woooooo

Too bad AF - you're like an ex I want to grab and shake and go WHAT WERE YOU THINKIN?!

Well done on your job that pays better and has far fewer asspains involved. Please give us monthly updates in this thread so I can live vicariously through your posts.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Great, I have to write a paper about all the "great" changes that McPeak made to the Air Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Man, I love doing research.

quote:

The United States Air Force is losing pilots at an alarming rate. Current projections
predict a shortage of 2,300 military pilots by the year 2000. The Aviation Continuation
Pay acceptance rate, which reflects how many pilots who have completed an initial eight
year active duty service committment (ADSC) are willing to accept a new five-year
commitment by signing up for the pilot bonus, has fallen from a high of 81 percent in
1994 to 28 percent in 1998. As a result, the ability of the Air Force to maintain combat
readiness has become a problem of national significance.

quote:

The paper’s objective is to prove the Air Force mismanaged its pilot force in the
early nineties while placing too much emphasis on monetary compensation. It will argue
that the Air Force is finally recognizing key factors in the rated management process and
beginning to take necessary actions to produce a solution. It will conclude that any viable
solution must address the role Air Force culture plays in retaining a highly motivated,
dedicated workforce into the 21st century.
https://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a396495.pdf

• Locked thread