Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

No Chrono Trigger, no buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Apparently there now exists a bleak as hell cyberpunk RPG voiced by Rutger loving Hauer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3xSyjKA4iQ

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

New frontier defense maps in Titanfall 2 :woop:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Anyone played Diablo 3 since they added the necromancer? I've just started a new necromancer on my xbone, and I'm really liking the play style so far.

Downloading the patch now. Haven't done any research about this, is it a ranged or melee class? I've only ever played Diablo 3 in single player so far and I found the melee classes way more entertaining in that aspect of the game.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

Don't know if anyone still plays FTL but, remember not to skimp on value point in O2. Was playing the Stealth B, Hard Mode, Balance Mod, got to the Flag Ship. Hacking landed O2, first volley knocked out my O2, by the time I repaired it was in single digits and everyone was dead. My ship was basically alpha strike with Glave, Flak I, weapon preignitor, and hacking. Moral of the story, don't neglect "minor" systems. Still a really fun game that I love going back to between other games.

I've completed that game exactly once on easy, and I tend to get my rear end handed to me about ~50% through on normal. I don't think I've even bothered with hard so far.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Bolow posted:

Zone of the Enders

Whoa, first time I've heard that name mentioned in about ~15 years. That was a pretty cool game.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I am now a couple of hours into Hyper Light Drifter. Initial impressions: pretty cool.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Just finished Hyper Light Drifter. That was a fun game. Tough as nails, but in a good way. Feels nice to break my Steam ADD and actually complete a game for once.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

http://store.steampowered.com/app/698640/Deep_Sky_Derelicts/

I know it's rougelike and blaaargh but this looks like something I would enjoy the hell out of. I believe this is the first time I've considered buying an early access game.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That's a bummer, I had a ton of fun with the first Dawn of War. The whole game is just overly bellicose space marine bluster I assume?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I bought Endless Space 2 since it was on sale.

It's too goddamn complicated, even for a 4X. Like gently caress me guys, it looks great but tone down the UI a bit. I played it for 15 minutes on THREE DIFFERENT OCCASIONS and every time I was like '...nah'

Downloading ES2 as I type this since it's free for this weekend. I really liked Endless Legend, is it even more obtuse than that?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Download is due to finish in a few minutes from now. Will report back momentarily...

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Download is due to finish in a few minutes from now. Will report back momentarily...

Yeah, no. This is almost EVE-level UI sperging. I was pretty satisfied with myself with learning the nuances of Endless Legend but this is a bit much. Uninstalling.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

For some reason I've ended up with a Nintendo 3DS. This is the first time in a decade or so I've owned a Nintendo system. I'm completely unfamiliar with the thing. What are some decent games for it, Mario and Zelda are safe bets I assume?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Zelda Between Worlds is fantastic, as is Super Mario 3D Land. Mario Kart 7 is pretty great too. If you like strategy games, the first Fire Emblem game isn't too bad, there's a Ghost Recon game that is decent as well.

If you never played the N64 Zelda games (and even if you did I'd recomend both), both got remasters on the 3DS and are really great as well.

Oh and Mario Golf is pretty fun too.

I got A Link Between Worlds. It's fun! Didn't realize how similar it was to A Link to the Past. I'm vaguely familiar with Majora's Mask on N64 so I'll probably get that next.

Edit: feels weird to download Nintendo games. I'm so used to them sticking to cartridges.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 6, 2017

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I came to really enjoy the first Dark Souls, but I can see why people don't like it. It's an acquired taste, the Marmite of video games if you will.

I still consider beating Ornstein & Smough one of the most satisfying moments I've ever had in a game though. Goddamn it felt good to lay the smackdown on those bastards after ~25 tries.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Darkest dungeon owns.

I'm glad someone else here finally realized this.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I just got They Are Billions. This is really fun. I was never that great at RTS's because I would always hunker down and turtle no matter what, I like it a lot better now that that's the entire point of the game.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Crash Mode in 2 was my favourite and they never nailed it again

This is the correct answer. Crash mode in 2 was a ton of fun.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I hated 4. I'm glad some people enjoyed it, but after 4 hours I uninstalled

I think I managed 6 hours before I uninstalled. I still think it's weird that I did that, because I must have dumped hundreds of hours into Fallout 3.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That car looks rad as hell. Pretty sure I'm going to have to buy a new rig if I'm going to run this game on anything other than potato settings, but I suspect it might be worth it.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

William Gibson apparently said that he thinks Cyberpunk 2077 looks like a generic GTA reskin :lol:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Mustang posted:

Andromeda was depressing because Mass Effect was by far my favorite series. 2 was the best but I think 1 is my favorite, the atmosphere of the game was just perfect. I still play through it every couple of years.

To this day Mass Effect 2 remains the game on Steam that I've put the most hours into. I was on a Babylon 5 bender at the time and the game felt like a lot like that but I could also play as an evil, vindictive motherfucker. What's not to like?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Best SimCity game ever made. If you disagree you're wrong and probably a terrible person and I'm sorry for your terrible opinion.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Mustang posted:

Anyone play Endless Space 2? It's an free weekend for Endless games. Looks pretty cool and has a great soundtrack though I have no idea what I'm doing.

I think I played Endless Space 2 for about 30 minutes before I uninstalled it. I suspect twenty year old me would probably have loved it, but these days I don't have any patience for games that require me to sperg out for hours on UI details and gameplay subtleties before I'm able to enjoy it. If you're into Stellaris you'll probably have a good time with it.

I have played quite a lot of Endless Legend though. Not quite sure if the UI was easier to grasp or if I just liked the setting/theme better.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Just got Everspace for 70% off on Steam. This game is pretty drat fun, I think it's the first space combat sim I've played since uuuh... TIE Fighter in the mid 90's. Too bad my potato computer can only squeak by on medium settings, because this would look loving amazing with graphics maxed out.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Late October means that it's time for my annual replaying of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, aka The Best Halloween Game.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The Rat posted:

And so many of them suck. :(

It's tragic cause I love the setting. The first Dawn of War is what pulled me in. By contrast, DOW3 felt so inexplicably bad that I uninstalled in disgust after 2 hours of gameplay.

The first DoW game was insanely fun, I played the poo poo out of that. Haven't touched a 40k game since then, but Mechanicum has me intrigued.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Bethesda, just give me New Skyrim and Space Skyrim like you promised last E3 or whatever it was, and please note that I'd rather not play together with any of these god drat loving weirdos, so that'll be a hard pass on FO76 for now.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

anyone playing Art of Rally? Just released today, fun little top-down Group B inspired rally game, with a nice art style and a pretty dope synthwave soundtrack. I fuckin suuuuuuck at it but it's satisfying as hell when you start to nail some corners.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/550320/art_of_rally/

I got Art of Rally yesterday and promptly sunk 9 hours into it. I don't recall having this much fun with a racing game since the early Colin McRae Rally titles in the late 90's/early 2000's. It definitely takes a while to get used to how the cars handle, and at first it'll feel like you're maneuvering a wet bar of soap around, especially on rainy/snowy tracks, but once your nail a perfect handbrake turn around a tight hairpin though... unf :wiggle: I also really dig the music, which is usually the first thing I turn off in a racing game.

I also like how nothing is licensed, so they've had to get creative when it comes to naming the cars you're driving. What is obviously a Lancia Stratos is now "La Wedge", the Audi Quattro is "Das Hammer", the BMW M1 is "Das Uberwhip" etc.

I think I'll be spending a lot of time playing this.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I was only dimly aware of Star Citizen up until now, this is quite the rabbit hole :munch:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I guess we'll see how it shapes up but Shadowlands looks like it might be the most promising WoW expansion for years. Haven't played Overwatch for a long time now, but I had a lot of fun with it when it was first released, I doubt I'd even recognize the game if I logged in now. Still have fond memories of blowing people up with Junkrat.

As for Diablo 3, the Reaper of Souls expansion really was a huge improvement and made it the game that it should have been from the beginning. Sure, the story is still a load of eye-rolling claptrap and the always online requirement is still annoying, but you just don't care because you're too busy looking for the next congregation of monstrosities to dispatch in a cascade of fire and ragdoll physics.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I got Control on a recent Steam sale, figured I'd probably like since I really dug Alan Wake.

This game is so loving cool. I love Remedy :finland:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I started replaying The Ancient Gods Part I on the easiest difficulty so I could at least get the story before I start Part II. Being able to beat every fight without even trying much (I 100%’d Doom Eternal on UV) has really let me be a content tourist and appreciate the super awesome environments and level design. There’s a lot of fine detail and cool stuff that you might otherwise miss when you have an Archvile breathing down your neck.

Same here, completed the original game on UV difficulty including all secrets and unlockables but The Ancient Gods part 1 kicked my rear end to the point where I gave up halfway through Blood Swamps. Maybe I should just swallow my dignity and dial down the difficulty so I can actually see the content, even though playing it on anything less than ultra-violence feels like a crime. I feel like my git gud juice for these kind of high intensity FPS games ran out like 10 years ago.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Art of Rally is my spirit animal.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

It's a neat love letter to the best motorsport. Awesome groovy synthwave soundtrack too. And I like how they couldn't afford to license anything, so they had to get a bit creative with naming the cars. What is obviously a BMW M1 is das uberwhip, the Lancia 037 is il monster, the Volvo 240 is turbo brick etc.

edit: juuuumps, Walter Röhrl you suuuuuck

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 4, 2021

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Been having some fun with custom skins in Art of Rally.

Haven't had this much fun with a racing game since the first few Colin McRae Rally games in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Picked up Control (Ultimate Edition with all the DLC included) on a Steam sale a few months ago and promptly dumped 65 hours into it, and I cannot say enough good things about that game. It's like The Matrix merged with Twin Peaks.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

If you are a WRC nut like me, Art of Rally is a must buy. Its much more enjoyable than dirt, with a soundtrack that matches the atmosphere.

Easily my favorite racing game right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQDq59aNRyU

Drive hard and fast on the wings of synthwave my friend. I recently started obsessing over time attack mode and managed to get into the top 5% on a handful of stages. This game is so much fun.

Also, very addictive photo mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Are they doing custom skins on the switch version? There's a ton of cool downloadable stuff, some guy did a bunch of cars in Wipeout livery and how can you say no to that.