Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kaynorr posted:

Yeah, he pretty much got the Full Spike Treatment. And much like then, the writers did not have the discipline to look past the charisma of the actor to realize that the character had to go.

It's not even that the character had to go, it's that he needed to actually grow. They showed shades of this when he met his dad and started to realize he might actually want a family life, but even in the ninth season, the season about the loving wedding weekend, he was still all WEEKEND AT BARNEYS :2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

Why would Amy Sherman create a new show for Amazon and not continue with Netflix

All they want from her is more Gilmore Girls and she desperately wants to do something else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

They all have different showrunners. Iron Fist is the dude who did the last few seasons of Dexter.

He's also the guy in charge of The Defenders.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arist posted:

No, he's doing Inhumans I thought.

Oh, right. I knew it was some other big Marvel team project.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

It's pretty good. Yeah, it's super 90s, but it's got a great economy of storytelling that I'm not accustomed to. Like, it's not amazing, or anything, but it doesn't gently caress around and waste my time. It doesn't feel like there's any filler.

Kelsey Grammer needs different hair though. It's like an ultra-mullet: Bald in the front, party in the back.

The first half-season of Frasier is pretty rough because they're still finding the characterization of Niles, Daphne and Martin to an extent, but it soon hits a groove ("Death Becomes Him" is the first classic episode I can think of off the top of my head) and never really lets up, especially when they had the idea of letting Martin and Roz play off each other as mocking the poo poo out of the brothers. There's a dip in season 8 and 9 in which the show just gets a little too serious for its own good (due to an event I really don't want to spoil), but the tenth and especially eleventh seasons get back to the quality of the earlier years.

Frasier's also notable for having one of the strongest recurring guest casts in television history.

Also, Grammer gets a haircut at the start of the third season.

Edit: As a side note, Frasier is also notable for some truly disgusting pay disparity among the cast members. For the final five or six seasons, Grammer was pulling down between $1 million and $1.25 million per episode. David Hyde Pierce and John Mahoney were making something like $900,000 per episode. Jane Leeves and Peri Gilpin were making in the $40,000 / episode range until the final two seasons.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 18, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GreenNight posted:

When is Netflix going to start including DVD only features such as commentary, deleted scenes and making of videos?

Almost certainly never, as that would destroy one of the only reasons people still buy physical media and the studios would break out the pitchforks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shadow225 posted:

I just finished episode 2 of season 6. I jumped to episode 19 of the same season because I heard this season was a lame duck other than Cameron leaving Chase after he killed the dictator. Did I miss anything else in season 6? What should I watch from the last two seasons to close it out succinctly?

The last two seasons are baaaaaad. I guess maybe the finale of season 7 because it ends in the most batshit way possible, and the finale of 8, and call it a day?

Edit: Jesus, like, every late '90s / early '00s Fox show is leaving Netflix on April 1.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 22, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

Maybe it's an April fools joke...

Doubtful. Ted Sarandos has never wavered over his message from the past six months that the vast majority of its content spend is and will continue to be focused upon Netflix Originals and that they've drastically cut back on their spend on licensing content from the major studios.

There's a reason the current streaming library is about a third of what it was in 2013 or so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shadow225 posted:

Will the season finale of 7 explain why there apparently is a brand new team for season 8, or is there some backstory in that season I should catch for that

You can probably pick it up via osmosis from the finale.

I'll leave it at that because it really is so crazy that it has to be seen to be believed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

edit; can you do that on the app, or do I have to go to the website and vainly attempt to remember my password

Almost positive it has to be done on the actual website so they can first beg you to stay, then ask you your cancellation reason, and then send you an email in a week begging you to come back and they'll give you some free disc rentals.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-O posted:

That writing has been on the wall for a long time. A lot of people are going to want to pull out to do their own services and Netflix is pumping out so much original content that I don't think a lot of that older stuff is priority for them anymore.

The financial arrangements are also different, now. Used to be that Netflix would pay a royalty every time a movie or TV episode was streamed (with a cap on those payments for stuff they knew would be insanely popular). A few years ago, they changed their terms to "we'll pay X money for this content for Y amount of time." This is why studios are generally only putting stuff on Netflix when they've run out of ways to monetize it (with a few exceptions, like when Netflix put a dump truck full of cash at the front door for their Disney deal).

Studios were also more willing to play ball with Netflix when it was just a content distributor. Now that it's in the business of actually producing content, it's a direct competitor. This is the whole reason Starz ran away screaming when its streaming contract was up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

I guess I'm on the other end in that I think Netflix has so loving many new shows that I can't keep up at all as to what they even are, and while I like the comedy specials and documentaries and the apparently rapidly disappearing library of old shows, I'm frustrated with the service, and when its only real selling point is that it was more convenient than piracy, that's a problem. 8 bucks for some good shows, old shows, docs, and comedy? Sure! 10 for a confusing swamp of bullshit and a dwindling catalog? Uhh.

"Dwindling" doesn't quite cover it. I forget which website it was, maybe Thrillist, but someone did a study and showed that maybe four years ago, the streaming library comprised like 13,000 movies and TV shows. Today it's a hair under 4,000.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bring back old gbs posted:

Doesf Netflix offer their content to broadcsters like Starz? A sharing deal so they can put some Netflix Originals in their schedule and Netflix can stream their stuff?

No.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pan Dulce posted:

I dunno. I mean, I see why they're pulling towards making their own original content, but I dislike the notion of getting rid of the other things they stream. I mean, if I wanted to watch CW, then FX, then HBO and have to buy separate streaming services, why not just go back to cable and a DVR? It's just as expensive in the end; it all adds up. I liked the notion of having Hulu for shows that are currently airing and Netflix to watch seasons that already occurred.

Again, a huge part of it is that the minute Netflix became a direct competitor to the studios / networks, they were far less willing to put stuff on streaming. That's only increased as Netflix gets stingier and stingier with how much it pays for content -- they're spending $6 billion on content this year, but the vast majority of that is for stuff it can actually own. Which really isn't a stupid strategy -- think of a company basing its value and marketing strategy on the number of followers it has on Facebook, when Facebook could turn off its account tomorrow without a second thought.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

This was back in like 2001, and to its credit, that PC ran for like 6 years+. You're right about the state of things these days though.

The early Pentium 4s, released in 2001 and 2002, actually required RDRAM to work, which is why Dell put it in all their machines.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lol if you think a modern piece of electronics will last even 10

I have a 42" plasma TV that my groomsmen bought me as a wedding gift in July 2007, and it's still going strong -- and that was at a time when all the experts said plasmas' life expectancy was about five years.

Best part? It's HP-brand. I didn't even know they made TVs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Holy gently caress I hate every character of this dumb scrubs spinoff slash scrubs season nine except the smoking hot australian lady who shows up every three episodes or so

As I recall, Bill Lawrence only did the ninth season because ABC gave him and Braff a poo poo-ton of money to do it (the eighth season drew far better ratings than they expected, and I think Braff got almost a full season's worth of salary for six episodes), and he begged them to let him change the name to Med School or Scrubs Med or something like that. But, yeah, the Med School season is pretty rough after how pitch-perfect almost all of Season 8 is. None of the characters feel like themselves and the sets are just hideous.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

Time After Time got canceled. I actually liked it but I also loved the old movie. I'm pretty sure I am just about the only one who cares that it got canceled. poo poo was still better than Timeless.

I hate it (love the movie and book, though), but my wife adores the show. I see that ABC didn't just cancel it, they yanked it from the schedule entirely, so they aren't even burning off finished episodes. Yowza.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Also I need a cheap sub 40" tv for the home gym room.

I have one of these on the wall in my office, works pretty well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

raditts posted:

I had no idea it had even premiered until I read that it was cancelled.

It really had one of the softest launches I can remember. I don't think I remember it even being announced until during the Oscars or something like that. Guessing ABC knew it had a turkey on its hands.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm slowly making my way through Fresh Off the Boat and I would just like to mention how much of a joy it is to watch Constance Wu. She's amazing (and gorgeous to boot)

Only the third season is up on Hulu but I agree, it's a really funny show with an extremely solid cast all around. Ray Wise is such a great comic actor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

quote:

funniest things Sorkin has ever written.

Does not compute.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Longbaugh01 posted:

TWW is Sorkin at Peak-Good-Sorkin. (And even the seasons after he left are worth it.)

Yeah, The West Wing is similar to Homicide in that the later seasons were a definite drop in quality from the earlier high watermarks, but even their lows were still better than 99 percent of the junk on TV at the time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

plz dont pull out posted:

Got it. I'll stick with it. Just coming from a guy who's watched too much Heroes and Dexter back in the day I'm a little weary of mediocre TV.

Comparing the latter seasons of Justified to something as execrable as Heroes or Dexter is the height of lunacy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

less laughter posted:

(13 Reasons Why) The rapist (Bryce) is 18 years old and his on-screen victims (Hannah and Jessica) are 17

That's ... not at all similar to what Aatrek did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scrubs is leaving Netflix on May 2. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Did they keep the stupid "first plate" thing?

God, I hope not. Even Alton Brown was pretty vocal in interviews about hating all the gimmicks they started putting into Iron Chef America (that's also the reason he quit doing Next Iron Chef and Food Network Star; he hated the dog and pony show stuff).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

Peak TV is part of the reason for the WGA strike threat. Writers are used to being employed for 20+ episodes at a time every year. Now shows like Fargo do 10 episodes every 2-3 years. Writers still get paid per episode so it's a big pay cut compared to actors who are still getting paid well.

It's not only that, but the AMPTP is still refusing to even consider altering the residuals formula (even though the networks are all launching their own stand-alone streaming services) and is also demanding significant concessions from the WGA on how much they pay for their insurance premiums. So not only has the average writer's pay fallen by 20 percent or so over the past five years (at a time when studios are insanely profitable), they're now being asked to take an additional 15 - 20 percent pay cut for healthcare. This is one of those "if they don't strike and fight now, there's no coming back from how much ground they'll lose" situations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

David Goyer wrote Blade. Which is good?

Counterpoint: He wrote and directed Blade Trinity.

Which was ... not good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Results are in; 96.3 percent of the WGA's membership voted to authorize a strike, which would most likely begin at 12:01 a.m. next Monday.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Haha wow was it a landslide like this last time?

I believe the membership voted 90 percent in favor of a strike back in 2007.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

So SNL and most of the late night shows are probably screwed for a while

SNL only has two more episodes this season and they aren't for several more weeks, so I imagine Lorne and his team are rushing to get stuff done. The late night shows are definitely in trouble, especially since Conan, Colbert, Kimmel, Fallon and Meyers are WGA members. If this turns out anything like 2007 - 08, the big losers are going to be the shows that would normally start filming their new seasons in June or July, so it's entirely possible we'll get another run of strike-shortened seasons (depending on whether or not the AMPTP has been stockpiling scripts during the buildup, which is entirely possible).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My immediate reaction was, "Didn't ABC try this like 15 years ago with Paul Reubens hosting You Don't Know Jack in character as "Troy​ Stevens" or whatever?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Ford always seems to have the worst, most obvious, product placements.

It got gradually more ridiculous in each season of 24.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I can't believe it took until 2017 for writers to get parental leave rights.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

There are a number of British shows that have -- Misfits, Skins, Being Human; all had complete cast changeovers in recent memory -- and though a lot of fans tend to hate that the shows did that, I've never really minded it. Being Human, in particular, I thought was as good if not better with its new cast. It's one of my favourite shows.

The UK Shameless is a completely different show by the end. Like, after the first three seasons, it does a complete pivot and stops being about the trials and tribulations of the Gallagher family, and more about the rivalry between two crime families. There were only, I think, two actors who remained on the show for its entire run. (Also, that show ran for eleven seasons, what the Christ.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My Law & Order legacy thread was archived, so I guess I have to make a new one, but for anything following along, despite declining ratings and Hargitay getting more expensive every season, SVU was renewed for a 19th season -- meaning it's now just two additional seasons away from breaking the Gunsmoke record that Dick Wolf is so desperate to get. (The original show was originally promised a 21st season but was canceled while the season 20 finale was filming.)

Edit: However, they're in search of yet another executive producer, as Rick Eid, who took over this season, is getting shifted to Chicago PD.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 13, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I think it was definitely made with that in mind, since they didn't know.

Jake Johnson said it was absolutely made as a potential series finale. He also said on Twitter the final run is eight episodes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sbaldrick posted:

How mad is Wolf that the Simpsons keep going and going getting the record he wants farther away every year.

The record Wolf cares about is the longest-running prime-time drama. The original Law & Order is tied with Gunsmoke at 20 seasons. Wolf was pissed when NBC yanked the promised Season 21 away from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has he explicitly said he wants to beat the record or is it just a common knowledge thing that he does?

He's said it.

• Locked thread