Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Hawkgirl posted:

Oh poo poo I had a smug face on about how little I care about spoilers and one of those still really blindsided me. Guess I have some TV watching to do :(

Same here, but that's how it goes. I only started watching the show recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think I've seen anyone say that Luther doesn't get worse as it goes on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I take it that Magicians is: we want to do Hogwarts, but with sexy grad students instead of children.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Magicians is basically if Harry Potter was obsessed with Narnia and then discovered at Hogwarts that it was real, one of the kids was visiting him in his dreams, and Valdemort was actually an evil monster from there.

Only in this version Harry didn't get brought to Hogwarts when he was 10, but instead made it to his twenties as a depressed and horribly socially broken loser, Ron is an rear end in a top hat because he's spent his whole life trying to keep voices out of his psychic head, and Hermione got rejected by Hogwarts and instead of going to a safety school she obsessively learned magic from any sketchy and dangerous person she finds in any back alley while Harry dodges her calls because he's bitter about being friend zoned.

I'm actually rewatchng S1 now for some reason (it's solid background noise that I don't really care if I'm not paying attention to while I do other things) and even though it's still had trash it's much less bad binged and still sounds way better then the books. Mostly it sounds like the show just tightened up a lot of dragging, boring story plots and made the characters marginally less unlikable assholes.

The blonde girl's not Hermione?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I wonder what I watched that made Netflix think I'd give Magicians four stars.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I still feel like people are messing with me when they say that show's not cancelled.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Only saw the first season. Excellent premiere gradually leads to a very boring finale.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I just watched the first two episodes of Series of Unfortunate Events and have no idea what the show is going to be about now. They could've stretched that out to season if so inclined.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Oh, that's what Santa Clarita Diet is about.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't watched a single episode and it obviously seemed to be about zombies. :confused:

I don't know how you figured that out without knowing anything about it. I didn't see the blood at first in the smaller title card, so I just noticed a man and woman carrying a cooler. When I read some of the episode titles, I thought it was about suburban serial killers or something.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

On my app, it's just Barrymore and Olyphaunt carrying a bloody cooler.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

raditts posted:

Well, it's not not about that, technically...

Heh, well, true, but you know what I mean, non-supernatural killers.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Looten Plunder posted:

What the gently caress was that finale of Santa Clarita Diet?

I'm not categorically against a cliffhanger to end a season but it wasn't even that good of a cliffhanger. Off the top of my head I can think of three better mid season cliffhangers.

Awful.

It reminded me of the last Longmire finale. It felt like they forgot to upload one or two episodes.

Looten Plunder posted:

What are these bad Netlix shows? Whilst not everything is amazing, I'd recommend pretty much everything I've watched.

I only watched one episode for shits, but I would not recommend Fuller House.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 16, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually hate Amazon's pilot thing. Just make a drat decision and go through with it. It worked for Goliath.

The real alternative is make pilots and don't show them at all and don't let subscribers have any input on what gets picked up.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 16, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I liked Bloodline, but I'm still unsure if the "scenes of the future" style was the right choice for it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

IRQ posted:

Fixed.

Except Game of Thrones, it's the tv watchers that make that trash.

Nowadays,

The Bad Thread >>>> The normal TVIV thread > The TVIV spoiler thread

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I remember liking Lie to Me quite a bit for about a month and then very suddenly becoming bored with it. I don't think I've been like that with another show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I wanted something more interesting for Black Sky than "Punchy-Kicky-Woman is the chosen one".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

My sister recommended Bastard Executioner to me, it was absolutely terrible. But she stopped watching it too not long after recommending it. I think she was just going through Game of Thrones withdrawal and made a mistake.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Just got done with S2 of Better Call Saul and I feel like I missed something somewhere. I have no idea why Mike was doing any of what he was doing after he got Tuco's charges reduced.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

precision posted:

They threatened his family, and he didn't like that. That's pretty much it. Who's to say if he could have just walked away with the money Hector gave him and never had them bother him again? Clearly he thought they weren't just gonna forget him. "No half measures".

Okay, thought it was maybe that simple. It's just that with every scene, I kept thinking "What the gently caress, Mike? This is just going to bring them more trouble!"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't even remember what day Breaking Bad aired despite loving that show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I probably watched it off DVR anyway.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I really liked the S1 premiere of Humans, and then each episode became duller than the last.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

That would be true if that was Walder's only scene all season and they didn't have several scenes readdressing the Red Wedding

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 3, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

bull3964 posted:

For a series that runs a grand total of 4 1/2 hours, can really anything be leaned on too hard?

Season 2 kind of depresses me now though since it happened in real life.

Oh gently caress, you're right. But real life Xander Crews met the meagre requirements to run.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Frequency worked well enough as a mini series. All the loose ends were tied up and there was just a tiny plot hook for s2 in the very last scene.

Spoil me, did she ever change history resulting in her fiance being dead, because thats what I was expecting.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nah. He forgot who she was / didn't know she existed for most of the show because of time shenanigans, but then they fixed it.

Oh, okay. I was ready to put money on the finale being them saving her mom, then suddenly finding out the fiance has been dead for years now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GreenNight posted:

It's on Netflix. A detective is good at smelling.

Please tell me he's played by Dolph Lundgren.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

What is this a prequel of, the movies or the TV shows?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I haven't watched Fargo S3 yet, is the thread turning on it? Right on schedule.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I loved S1 and thought S2 was alright. Wasn't really perfection for me. *shrug*

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

How is Gargoyles today? Because I thought that was the greatest thing on TV back then.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Tale Spin was my favorite of that bunch, but I get it if it was too weird for some kids.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I liked Sense8, but that show had to be expensive as hell. Unfortunately, I don't think it went out on a high note.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

raditts posted:

The gently caress? I don't even know what a "darker, more mature" Speed Racer would look like. Speed Racer is about a kid who races cars with his family and a monkey as his pit crew and frequently other cars explode during the races. The movie had all those things and more. What else would you need?

The monkey would be an alcoholic.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

There should've been one character that said "gently caress that, I'm going 'sploring with the robots".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

precision posted:

The first two seasons of The Fall are brilliant. The third season is awful do not watch it.

The third season is weird. The story basically ends with S2, and S3 is a long, slow epilogue.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Not saying this is bad at all, but new Twin Peaks feels more like Mulholland Drive than old Twin Peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

On the other hand, it really sucks to catch an Amazon pilot and actually liking it because that show could be anywhere in-between 1-2 years from hitting the screen.

That's a silly complaint, though.

• Locked thread