Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spergatory posted:

Has Netflix become the Wii of tv, producing 20 shovelware titles for every decent one?

I would say the Steam Greenlight of TV, but I'm not totally sure which of those is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

What the gently caress was that finale of Santa Clarita Diet?

I'm not categorically against a cliffhanger to end a season but it wasn't even that good of a cliffhanger. Off the top of my head I can think of three better mid season cliffhangers.

Awful.

Yeah, it was a terrible brick wall of an ending. It was like what you do for a mid-season hiatus.

Looten Plunder posted:

What are these bad Netlix shows? Whilst not everything is amazing, I'd recommend pretty much everything I've watched.

There's at least a couple of Adam Sandler movies that have been Netflix exclusive, but if you mean strictly shows, my kids have watched a couple pretty awful series adaptations of Dreamworks movies that are on there.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 16, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oh yeah, Gilmore Girls was pretty bad. I don't think it really fits into the shovelware category though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Spatula City posted:

Also, Netflix is trying to produce content for, it seems like, every conceivable niche. Some of those niches encompass people with very lousy taste in television. And some of those shows that are agreed to be "bad" are judged so by people who are in no way the show's target audience, like how people savaged Fuller House.

I have no idea what the target audience is for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb2qaaFpNN8

and apparently, neither do most netflix subscribers, since it had a 1-star rating and things on netflix have to be unmitigated poo poo to get rated that low.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

woww, thats is exactly NOT up my alley but I absolutely love the animation, I've always wanted to see this style of art done fully 3-d

Netflix weirdly seems to be a dumping ground of 2D adaptations of DreamWorks cg animations. From the couple my kids have tossed on, the animation and character designs are usually not too bad, but boy everything else is.

The whole 3d movie -> 2D animated series thing seems to be a general trend as well, I know there are a couple of upcoming shows on some of the cable networks that are similar.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

X-O posted:

Steve Irwin's kid was on Fallon's show last night and it was almost like watching a small Steve Irwin clone. He was great but it made me miss Steve :(

I didn't know Steve Irwin had a son, I only ever heard of his daughter. Bindi, I think?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bentacos posted:

James Corden's biggest fault is that he is not Craig Ferguson.

Well you can't hold that against him, but you can hold against him that his interviews are pretty boring and he's not that funny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nah

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oh yeah, I actually totally forgot about that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

THAT'S why she was so familiar! It's been a long time since I watched any always sunny.

Must have been one hell of a long time for sure, her character in The Mick is basically Sweet Dee in an alternate universe where she got tired of the gang's poo poo and hosed off.

DivisionPost posted:

Hearing that The Mick was renewed made me realize that I haven't been keeping up with it, so I went ahead and jumped back in, and sweet Jesus the ending of "The Snitch" was horrifying and awesome.

I felt like that episode dragged a lot, but good goddamn was that ending payoff worth it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 22, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snak posted:

fair, but it was only showtime for part of its existence.

'90s Outer Limits was also Showtime iirc, although it was syndicated.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

I'm 2 episodes in and this is increasingly feeling like a Veronica Mars cast re-union.

I think almost every main VM character shows up at some point in the series.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bull3964 posted:

That's not going to help it get a second season though.

Unless you're a Nielsen family, it doesn't matter.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

PS Vue seems like the best, but it runs like absolute loving rear end on PCs, which is kind of how I do my watching. My big fucker desktop runs it fine, but my laptop and the mini pc on my bedroom tv are hitchy as hell. Flash. Flash in 2017? SAD!

But it has a cloud DVR.

IIRC the PC platform is relatively new for PSVue. If you have a Chromecast or Roku or fire TV or some other TV connected device, you're probably better off using one of those.

Based off using Vue and Sling with my phone / Android TV, Vue is far superior, and is also cheaper for the base package. Sling doesn't have any DVR (at least didn't as of last November) or any local channels (how many you get with Vue values by region but at least you get something, and can sign into the network apps and sometimes get live TV from there) and their feeds are all delayed 2-3 minutes which was annoying as poo poo. And their interface was garbage too. Vue also has a pretty poo poo interface that lags and crashes sometimes, but I'd still take it over Sling's.

If they still carry Viacom networks, that's probably the only pro over getting Vue if you watch those channels.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vanderdeath posted:

Skins isn't really known in America, dude.

:what: It had an American adaptation on MTV a few years ago.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snak posted:

Skinner is my favorite X-Files character after Mulder. I was so hyped for him to be back in season 9. :barf:

It will never not be weird to me that Supernatural did an X-Files parody during the one season that Mitch Pileggi was a regular character, and he wasn't even in the episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What they need to make is an adaptation of Kinniku Banzuke. I liked Unbeatable Banzuke more than Ninja Warrior when it used to come on g4.

Superrodan posted:

I don't think the Netflix Ninja Warrior show is as bad as the person earlier who called it garbage. I feel like the obstacle course is more spectator friendly than Ninja Warrior's at least with the branching paths, optional extra points, and more dynamic elements.

How are branching paths more spectator friendly?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

An ANW competitor should go in the opposite direction and instead give all the competitors crazy pro wrestler bombast and personas and have fun with it. I would much rather watch a bunch of happy and healthy athletes hamming it up and having a great time instead of Harry Hardluck and Sally Sobstory crying about the obstacles they overcame and the tragic figure in their past who motivates them for the zillionth time.

I haven't watched any of the Japanese version since G4 went under, but that's the atmosphere they seemed to have on that one. Of course here in the states we can't have a reality or reality-adjacent program without a dramatic backstory reel complete with inspiring music.

IRQ posted:

This sounds WAY better than spending 70% of the show on how sad these people's lives are because their entire family has canceraids and they have no job and they spent 17,000 hours in line for the audition.

What does it actually mean when they say they "spent 3 weeks in line" anyway? I have trouble believing that when Ninja Warrior season rolls around that a series of shanty towns pop up nationwide full of people jockeying for a shot to be on the show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 5, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

e: wow you guys weren't kidding about season 4 of Sherlock being really bad, I loved season 3 but season 4 is almost impressively dire and silly

I read this and I was trying to remember if I'd seen all of season 4, because I couldn't remember a thing about it.
I guess my brain was blocking that stupid poo poo out, because I looked it up and all the memories came back and gently caress you for making me remember that garbage.

Lurdiak posted:

The satanist episode of X-files was profoundly stupid.

You have to remember that it was contemporary with this

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Ugh. I never saw the last season and always meant to go back through and finish it, but that really does sound so terrible and a betrayal of everything you watched up to that point.

Yeah, never do that, the final season is irredeemable garbage. The show really went off the rails after season 3, but by season 5 it becomes a flaming wreck.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So I'm watching this Netflix Beastmaster show since it was mentioned a bit a few pages ago.

So far they did like 10 minutes of setup and hyping the course, and another 5 minutes of backstory on the American competitors, then loving yada-yada'd through the actual runs for all the competitors!
Why would they need to do this on a Netflix show, where they can make the episodes as long as they like?
Who asked for "a show that's like Ninja Warrior, but with all the parts nobody gives a poo poo about?"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I bailed on LMOE after they killed off black Phil and regular Phil's brother made it to earth. I'm kind of surprised the show is still on, I've heard almost nothing about it since then.

DivisionPost posted:

Just for the record, I thought Asian-American Danny Rand would've been cool, but I didn't mind when they went traditional. I think you can get plenty of juice out of a story about a boy of great privilege being forcibly separated from society for years, only to return with an enlightened soul that his old friends and colleagues don't share or understand.

Unfortunately for them, Arrow is a show that already exists.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 9, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

This is why i don't read reviews. Someone always has an axe to grind.

This cultural appropriation poo poo rubs me the wrong way. You can't have a society where people aren't allowed to use any aspect of another culture.
There are plenty of Asian martial arts movies, the art of kicking someone in the face has no barriers.

If all you took from that quote was "this guy is mad about cultural appropriation" then boy did the point go zooming over your head.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

He didn't like the show, yeah i totally got that. But it's not going to change my mind even a tiny bit. I'll judge it for myself.

You seem to be confused as to why he didn't like the show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rhyno posted:

John Barrowman stopped dying his hair and just buzzed it all off in celebration of his 50th birthday and he just looks wrong now.

It makes him look like Neal McDonough.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Timby posted:

Yeah, when it went whole hog with a concept episode, it was great. (Generally, anyway -- the last Slap Bet episode is just all sorts of terrible.) Like you said, the Robin Sparkles one, or when Robin "goes Canadian," or the "Murtaugh list." But, man, when it decided to take a poo poo on itself, like that abominable Band or DJ episode, holy poo poo could it get bad.

It's still fascinating to me how they took that episode where Barney emotionally manipulates Robin into accepting his proposal, complete with creepy-as-gently caress PUA-esque list of steps, and presented it as though it was supposed to be something the audience should be cheering on.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 14, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Also your gambling call in shows crack me up. We made all of that illegal waaaaay back.

Did we? I remember regularly seeing one of those shows on Game Show Network as recently as late last decade.

feedmegin posted:

Yeah youre going to get lovely TV anywhere that time of day. That said, yes, we have lots of poo poo reality TV - look out for all the ones about benefits scroungers, though, they're super big at the moment and I'm not sure there's a US equivalent.

If that's what I think it is, over here they call them "welfare queens" and they don't really exist so much as they are a right-wing bogeyman used as a justification for "gently caress the poors." No reality shows though, unless you include "news" reports on Fox News under that umbrella.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 14, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nah, the designated Mako replacement guy has always been really bad when used in anything above very small doses (ie. third season of Avatar)

Speaking of, in the intro does Jack say it's been 15 years or 50? It sounds like he's saying the former but the captions say the latter (and does make more sense in context).

:aaaaa:

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 23, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

I loved how Genndy made his 2D version of Clone Wars keep that same minimal-dialogue, visual storytelling feel. I hate that he's been wasting his massive talent making Hotel Transylvania films.

I didn't really feel like his art / animation style fit well with Star Wars, but even still it was worlds better than that ugly boring CG marionette poo poo they've been doing ever since.

feedmyleg posted:

He directed the second, and is writing and directing the third. But maybe it's directing in a hands-off Wes Anderson Fantastic Mr. Fox kinda way? I think it's just a solid paying gig since nobody's exactly buying up 2D animated pitches these days.

I was really excited when he was consulting on Iron Man II and working on Power of the Dark Crystal. Seems like he'd be great for big-budget action films which are so heavily animated in their big set pieces.

I have to be honest, if you can tolerate Adam Sandler in a voice acting capacity and a couple other terrible animated movie tropes like dance scenes, the Hotel Transylvania movies are pretty passable as far as kids' movies go. You could do so much, much worse.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

All the best reality shows are of the 'last person to stand being miserable wins' format.

All reality shows are garbage though

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

You watch trash too, don't pretend like you're better.

Sure, I watch and enjoy plenty of trash, but at least it's not reality-gameshow level trash.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 28, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Guy named after anime calling others out on tv taste? :colbert:

I stand by my previous comment. :smugbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I mean I guess technically you could call all TV "trash" by the definition of it being a distraction and something to do that passes time, but I tend to reserve that for pulpier shows and the kind of stuff like Maury or Dr. Phil that are an hour of human garbage bags screaming at each other.

Gaunab posted:

I think I hate Lip Sync Battle for making celebrities singing a bigger trend. There's a new one on Comedy Central and another one coming to TBS that's a hip hop battle one which is bound to be embarrassing for everyone involved.

If it wasn't LSB, it would have been Carpool Karaoke.

Rhyno posted:

I watch a LOT of trash tv. A ton. All the CW comic shows for example. Over the last three weeks I've begun a major effort to exercise and be healthy and suddenly watching these shows feels kind of tedious. I feel like sitting around watching tv is a waste of time all of a sudden.

My trash tv watching has been greatly reduced by the lack of variety of PS Vue vs. my old cable lineup. I don't really care about any of the channels I don't have anymore, but there was usually something I could put on for background noise. Now I could find something on Netflix to put on, but actively finding a show to make good background noise instead of channel surfing and saying "that'll work" is more effort than I'm willing to commit to, so instead I just watch nothing.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 29, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Oh my, I had the same thing happen. That was the last PC I bought prefab. Suck a dick Dell.

Getting burned is just something you should expect when you buy dell. I've made the mistake of buying a couple of Dell laptops in the past, and none of them ever went more than 2 years or so before they either started suffering hardware failure of some kind, or physically started falling apart.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Good news as Netflix has renewed The Santa Clarita Diet.

I hope the next season ends at a better stopping point than the first one did.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gaunab posted:

I had no idea Katherine Heigl's latest show was cancelled after 2 episodes. Feel kinda bad for her.

The one constant thing I've always read / heard about her is that she is a nightmare to work with, so I don't feel that bad. She'll just have to settle for doing Kitty litter commercials and probably having way more money than you or me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Time After Time got canceled. I actually liked it but I also loved the old movie. I'm pretty sure I am just about the only one who cares that it got canceled.

I had no idea it had even premiered until I read that it was cancelled.

Croatoan posted:

poo poo was still better than Timeless.

Literal poo poo is better than Timeless.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I really liked Forever. It's not really a medical procedural, it's more a mystery / crime procedural where the immortal is an M.E. So basically it's like iZombie except with an immortal in New York City instead of a zombie in the pacific northwest. Now that I think about it, a lot of the story beats are similar. It got killed off after one season but it ends at a point that serves well enough as a series finale.

Snak posted:

There was also frequency, which was last year, I think.

Frequency was technically last year but it was in the fall season, it was only like 12 or 13 episodes so it finished up in the fall.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I feel like I'm being baited here, because I have trouble believing season 2 of Legends could be not-poo poo after the festering garbage pile that was the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, they basically embrace being a cheesy bad show, and have cast both willing and able to get in scenery-chewing competitions. I'm surprised the bad guys can find time to get anything done in between smug staring competitions.

E: I mean, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOGJ81faAV8 is a thing that actually aired. Tells you what you're in for pretty well.

Okay show, you got me, I can't stay mad at you.

• Locked thread