Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

muscles like this! posted:

Who cares about Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, CW has announced that they're rebooting CHARMED as a period piece set in the 70s.

Call me crazy but this actually sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

So now I'm into Timeless.

This week's Timeless was peak Timeless, and I mean that in a good way--sometimes its eps are way too bland time period of the week stuff, but eps like this where they team up with Harry Houdini to save Thomas Edison and also stop famed serial killer HH Holmes are nearly everything I want from the show. The only real disappointment for me is that the first episode established that they'd be loving up the timeline in a big way, but while they definitely do that, there don't seem to be any actual effects on present day other than, say, the sudden existence of a new James Bond movie.

If you're looking for more time travel, I've mentioned this before but my favorite time travel show this season is Frequency; it's a more grounded time travel story than the others, if that makes sense.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, the creator of the show is clearly a lifelong Archie fan--even the excellent Afterlife With Archie comic that he writes shows a fairly good grasp of Archie's history, and the show definitely nailed the core characters. (full disclosure--I am also a lifelong Archie fan)

The strength of the Archie property--whose potential Archie Comics itself only started to realize a little under a decade ago--is that the archetypes that their comics practically invented half a century ago are so ingrained in cultural consciousness that you can cast them in basically any situation and automatically have a team of core characters that people will immediately "get" than a newly invented cast of teens, even if the viewer has never read Archie. I would compare it to casting a well known character actor in a role that they're always known for playing, while changing things like making Moose gay is less for the shock value than it is for the novelty of seeing them play against type.

Riverdale is not the 60s idea of Archie, that's for sure, but Archie comics have been so carefree about their continuity that it's hard to say what constitutes "made them edgier" versus "gave them a different perspective". Jughead's gone from hating women to having two girlfriends to being asexual to whatever he is now, Moose has gone from stupid to just dyslexic, and Hiram Lodge has wavered back and forth between being Warren Buffett and Donald Trump.

Heck, Jughead was famously a member of a time-travelling task force back in the 90s, so even that time-travelling Archie movie wouldn't have been unprecedented.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Cael posted:

Without spoilers, how was the ending of Frequency? "Wrapped up" is one thing but I'm hoping it's also good/satisfying. I've avoided starting since I wanted to see ratings wise how a season 2 prospect looked. Since it's pretty dim now, if it's a nice one-and-done that'd make proably drive me to sit down and watch.

They wrap up the killer, and the family and relationships in both eras are in a good place. Very minor spoiler But Frank is still dead in present day and the killer's dad is watching them from afar

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The thread for Jane the Virgin seems to be archived so I just want to say ______________________ :( __________________________.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Now I'm just feeling even more vindicated in dropping season 3 back in December. Boy they really did write themselves into a corner.

EDIT:Wow, this show and Crazy Ex-girlfriend have the exact same plotting problem this season of having no idea where they want to go. Now I'm starting to worry that You're the Worst might also torpedo this year

I get the sense they do; this is (not exactly a spoiler but if you watch the show then you'll probably know exactly what this refers to) something that's been foreshadowed since near the beginning of the first season. IIRC they said they had an ending in mind and it's not necessarily a fairy tale ending. Of course, they have a lot of episodes to fill so they fill it to the brim with self-aware mockery of telenovela tropes, which I understand can be tiresome if they don't do enough funny things with it. For what it's worth, I'm still enjoying the show a lot; before The Good Place came out it was probably the most feel-good escapist fantasy show I'd seen since P&R.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Snak posted:

Like, you can avoid this spoiler if you want, but the premise of season 5 is that Sarah's memory is wiped, and Chuck has to make her fall in love with him all over again. She never gets her memory back. They erase her entire character and all of her development since the beginning of the show and it's just "Chuck has to win over a hot chick". It's disgusting.

That's the premise of the final 2 episodes and it's clear that she's slowly getting her memory back by the end of them even if they don't show her explicitly going "oh I remember everything now, Chuck."

Also, skipping season 3 was a bad idea because everything from Shaw turning evil up to the season finale was really good.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm going to offer a counterpoint to this Chuck negativity and say that while the first three seasons were definitely the best of them, the last two seasons were not garbage. I would say that the eps were at worst, bland and uninteresting, but still watchable. It's not like the show took a dark turn or anything that completely transformed it and betrayed the audience; it had just grown weary on a lot of people by then.

I'll also point out that every midseason ep and season finale of every season, even the worst one (season 4), ranged from pretty good to fantastic. I didn't appreciate the amnesia development at the end of s5, but it ended in a very sweet way anyway.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

IRQ posted:

I think everyone needs to see this, perhaps the newest pinnacle of subtle, well done, product placement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8T2kZ8f6BA

Does anyone remember this one particularly memorable product placement for a phone app; I can't remember its name or what show it was in, but it involved the show grinding to a halt so that one main character could explain to another how the app worked for like a minute. I think it was for renting/buying cars? Or possibly renting/buying houses.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

There have been revelations of multi-generational blood feuds based around maple syrup farming, all played with deadly seriousness. Skeet Ulrich has been recurring as Jughead's dad, the leader of the town biker gang.

It's a great bad show.

And the showrunner's been implying--and there is evidence to suggest--that the season finale will introduce the supernatural as being a legitimate part of that world. I'm gonna be mega disappointed if that's not the case, considering the showrunner is the guy who writes the excellent horror title "Afterlife With Archie".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Just bring back Madame Masque from Agent Carter. Everything about her MCU version is Doctor Doom--obsessed with her perfect face that's been ruined by an accident, is associated with a metal mask, is a scientific--but very proud--genius dabbling in magic.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I was a bit disappointed they weren't making massive changes to the timeline like the pilot implied they'd be doing, but I liked some of the stuff they did towards the end, where they started doing things like teaming up with Harry Houdini to save Thomas Edison and take down HH Holmes. More of that would be great.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I do remember a massive quality drop when it became an ABC Saturday morning cartoon though. I haven't seen any of it since the 90's though.

It was like a "The Real Ghostbusters," vs. "Slimer and The Real Ghostbusters" quality drop

The showrunner left after season 2, and has disowned season 3 except for the first ep. In fact, he was briefly able to revive the property for a comic (up until there were rights issues or something I dunno), which he started by adapting 3.1, then going off in a completely different direction. Shame he didn't get to finish, but with the scale of what he actually envisioned he would never have finished if he'd been put on Gargoyles duty for the rest of his life.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

There were a lot of awesome things to come out of the last few seasons, like Laguerta circling BLACK SUV over and over, her memorial bench, Deb's shrink who thinks incest is hot, and Harrison's treadmill accident. Honestly, in stark contrast to all the other shows in the world, the best part of Dexter was the SA thread--at some point I was only continuing to watch because I thought the posts people were making were hilarious.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Just finished it; this "Castlevania TV series" should be called a "Castlevania TV pilot". It's 4 episodes and basically only starts at the very end. Violence was a bit gratuitous but I enjoyed it enough. Minus points for Trevor not getting knocked off a ledge by flying Medusa heads when he was in the room with the giant gears.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Ted was overreliant on grand romantic gestures, and needed to grow up in a lot of ways, but if anyone was a scumbag on that show it was 100% Barney. Never mind that he's a serial womanizer (which thankfully he did give up while he and Robin were official), he's lied to Robin multiple times, including manipulating her emotions to get her to marry him. Even the most loving thing he did for her, the Canadian party on ice, was built on lies--Robin herself admits all this near the end of the series. And even if he did give up womanizing for his marriage, they did an episode about him passing the torch on to some kids, teaching them all about picking up women with elaborate lies.

swickles posted:

She meets everyone else throughout the ninth season, we only get like 2 or episodes where the mother and Ted actually interact.

No, they interacted all the time in the 9th season, albeit in flash-forwards. HIMYM was really bad in the last few seasons, but Tracy--and her interactions with Ted--always belonged to the few good parts.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

less laughter posted:

I hope if the upcoming DuckTales revival is a success, they reboot Rescue Rangers as well. And Adventures of the Gummi Bears.

esperterra posted:

I want them to revive Darkwing Duck, and by revive Darkwing Duck I just mean remaster it and start airing it again.

DuckTales is one of my favourite shows of all time, but I'm worried about the revival.

Ducktales is being allowed to use characters from any show on the Disney Afternoon, except Rescue Rangers--so don't expect a TV reboot of Rescue Rangers any time soon for the same reason (they're making a movie). Darkwing is apparently confirmed to be appearing in Ducktales, and I'm not talking about the photoshopped images from a few weeks back--this is coming from the SDCC panel. Gummi Bears is theoretically possible, I guess, but there's no word about that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I guess the two "glaring" origin differences I notice are probably Gert's parents not being time travelers but rather being "bio engineers" and Molly probably not being a mutant. Both of those make sense since they're not things in the MCU but don't seem terribly significant.

I read that thing about the Yorkes too, but the AV Club's review says they're still time-travelers. But I think that review also called Molly a mutant, which I'm fairly confident won't be the case. So who knows at this point.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm halfway through the first season of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel and it's really good! Thank you thread, because I would never have clicked on the actual thread for the show if it hadn't been recommended here first. It reminds me a lot of the classic movie His Girl Friday in how the dialogue is really fast-paced and snappy, which is totally my sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Parks and Rec suffered around season 6 for being a bit phoned in and not too funny, but the characters were never anything but lovable, April and Andy ranking high up among them.

• Locked thread