Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the Parks and Rec finale was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Stop now. The 22 episode order for Season 2 has turned it into a trainwreck.

Fire the dumbass exec who made that decision.

Wait it's 22 loving episodes? Well I mean I gurss that at least means there might be more good episodes.

I don't hate s2, buy it certainly does notnhave the tight focus and forward momentum that s1 had.

I've gotten good results by picturing events in s2 as newspaper strip comics.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The whole concept of how "The Serpents" are organized seems exactly like how a gang would be portrayed in a Saturday morning cartoon or a 3 panel newspaper strip.

None of it makes any loving sense.

Which is fine, I guess.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, that's basically what I'm saying... Riverdale has never been a show about "realism", and The Serpents being the type of n'er-do-well-ers that are like an old white lady's idea of what criminals are like is perfectly fitting for the purposes of Dark Archie.

Like, they are bikers who are also a street gang who are also mixed-gender and recruit and have a presence in high schools. Their initiation is... with one singular exception, probably tamer than most fraternities.

Jughead is able to gamble ownership of their clubhouse and hq after being in the gang for 2 days.

You just kinda gotta accept that the show's reality is shaped around the characters, and not the other way around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Unrelated to anything, I finally got around to watching 11.22.63, which was very good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just reiterating that Chance s2 is, so far, a great followup to s1, without being a retread of the same thing.

I'm only on episode 4.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah... Early Roseanne is such a good show, but it's hard for me to have any excitement for the revival.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

So in Parks & Rec the 26 year old who acts like a surly teenager said she hates teenagers

I'm mentally about 14, and there's nothing I hate worse than highschoolers and college students.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The general presentation of it turned me off of the movie just from the marketing. "Magicians do a heist" is a good premise for a movie, but when it's clear that you're just going to use CGI to make "astonishing tricks" do whatever you want all the time, and also try and make that visual spectacle a selling point of the film... that doesn't work for me.

I slightly similar problem with the ending to Burt Wonderstone: his ultimate trick involves using gas to roofie the entire audience. yeah. So, like, great "Home Alone" level prank I guess, but even in a comedy, it just takes me right out of the movie as a "we're supposed to believe this is a thing that happens"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've never seen it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming that's Stargate Origins?

I haven't seen anything about it, but I have no interest in it.

It's 10 episodes that are 10 minutes long.

They are charging $20 for an all access pass to watch it.

What a joke.

That's more than a movie ticket.

For what is a movie's worth of webisodes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Just curious which one do you find a better 'gun play' move, John Wick or Equilibrium?

This isn't even a contest...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Equilibrium is so terrible.

It has a couple of neat scenes, but overall it's really bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Food call. Way better than John Wick 2. Which was bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really liked the organized crime plot of Raid 2.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man that typo was probably influenced by my subconscious. Where is my freakin burger...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just thought most of the plot didn't make any sense at all.

I just saw an ad for the new mythbusters, and it looks dire.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

SoA is loving terrible but the Fast and Furious movies are mostly really fun and John Wick legit is probably the best American action movie of the 21st century. I guess that would put me in a weird part of the venn diagram?

It's an interesting diagram, because there's gonna be a big overlap of people who have no taste and love macho poo poo.

But, a lot of SoA fans think it's serious business and will consider F&F to be dumb poo poo. Same for John Wick fans. There will be some overlap there, but also SoA fans who also think that John Wick is too silly and also that Keanu Reeves isn't a real man. There will be John Wick fans who don't like garbage misogyny shows and hate SoA.

Then there will be people who like fun more than violence and really only like F&F.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Motherfucker does all his own stunts, and is a master marksman and martial artist.

https://youtu.be/rCIgpUTvfsA

The fact he's so good at that poo poo is why they could do long shots in the John Wick movies- they never had to hide a stuntman.

He also gives away a shitload of his pay and gives up his seat to people on the subway. Keanu is one of the baddest motherfuckers working in film.

E: I know you weren't saying he's not a real man in that post. I just like to show people that for all his flatness, he is definitely not a lazy actor.

I know that, but people who idolize masculinity don't all see him that way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hence the edit.

Honestly, I wish that his behavior would leak into the idea of badassery, but he's also so humble about that poo poo I know it never will (but that's part of why he's so cool)

If you haven't, you need to check out Man of Tai Chi, which Reeves directed, but is mostly a platform for his stuntman friend Tiger Chen to star in and be awesome. Tiger Chen is protagonist and Keanu Reeves is the villain. Straight up old-school "martial arts tournament" movie plot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

See, this kind of poo poo is weird.

Like, I'm not sure I have a problem with this example, but in general the idea that being blacklisted can result in your retroactive removal from past projects is a scary one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't have a problem with specifically removing someone who did a bad thing from something.

I'm more worried about it becoming acceptable practice. It's not like Disney cares about the fact that he did something bad, they care about the bad press. So I'm worried that if this sort of thing becomes standard practice, people could be erased from passed media for things that aren't crimes, but that Disney doesn't like because they are controversial. Like people who become politically active, or people who speak out against Disney etc.

If being a wistleblower can not only gently caress up the future of your career, but also erase your past work, that's pretty hosed up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

i swear it used to be TV/IV

There's no way it didn't, but if you ask me when, in the last decade, it changed, I could not tell you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

That looks really bad.

I've been watching Roseanne the last few weeks, because I never watched it before... I like it a lot. It's really good. Those promos are bad...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

the first episode is a movie-length Star Trek parody :getin:

What the gently caress?

I need to catch up on BM...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's hard for me to put into words how great Chance is. s2 was great. Built on s1 in a really good way.

• Locked thread