Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IRQ posted:

The show ignored a lot about the books too, which was a very good thing since the books are trash and the protagonist (not to mention nearly everyone else) is even more unlikeable in them.

Is the CS Lewis analogue still a pedophile?

E: Actually I guess I'll tag that because I can't remember which book its from

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Lev Grossman wrote The Magicians. Here's what he said about Halo 3 for Time magazine.

He's also the dude who called GRRM "The American Tolkien"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's somewhat amusing that those reviews might have actually ended up saving the perception of the show just due to people wrongly setting their bars to the lowest possible rung in response.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

I haven't seen it yet (need to finish Luke Cage first), but is it a fault of the actor or just lovely directing and/or writing?

Consensus seems to be "all of the above."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

I haven't watched any of the Marvel Netflix stuff since I dropped Jessica Jones halfway through and nothing I've heard since then has given me the impression that I'm missing anything.

also holy poo poo this is some of the worst action directing I've seen in a while

https://twitter.com/BrianJNorris/status/843172574272114688

Hahah, jesus christ.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The problem essentially isn't the episode order number, it's that they can't get writers who can actually fill it worth a drat. I feel DD s1 did the best job overall but it was very much elevated by DeKnight understanding the type of show he was making and being very good at making that show.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Arist posted:

Basically. People keep saying this even when it makes no sense, like with Luke Cage. The "too many episodes" complaint there suggests that the writers were forced into a dilemma by only being able to fill half a season, but that's ridiculous. It's way more likely that they simply had an idea for the season to have two distinct halves, and the second one just didn't work very well.

I feel DD s2 fits into this as well. The problem isn't a lack of content for 13 episodes, the problem is that the show basically has two halves: the Punisher-dominated first half, and the Hand-dominated second half. And boy is that second half not a good one.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know how surprising it is when Legion is created by Noah Hawley who through two seasons of Fargo has proven his track record.

I lost that post in the other stuff but yeah, it's this. Legion is good because Noah Hawley knows what the gently caress he's doing and has consistently proven it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

I think it's really popular on the Couch Chat to give Jessica Jones poo poo when the year it came out, there was a reason people put it in their Top Tens consistently: it's good.

It got put on top tens because goons lose their loving poo poo over its specific subject matter and to this day will excuse its faults due to it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Snak posted:

Yeah, that's what I did. It's great.

It's legitimately one of the best streaming investments you can make.

People who whine about Hulu nowadays are weird to me.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Trevor is terrible. He either has nothing of worth to say about...much of anything going on in America, or is completely unwilling to because's he's making $$$$.

Bee is a hypocritical piece of poo poo and I'm unsure how anyone takes her seriously at this point

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IRQ posted:

Other than her being an idiot about Bernie I'm not sure what there is to be mad at her over?

I mean she and her husband literally fought integration at her kid's school lol

Also poo poo like palling around with Glenn Beck and JEB!.

She's among the pinnacle of Rich White Feminism.

edit: also forgot some ghoulish opportunism

https://twitter.com/FullFrontalSamB/status/897203801614057474

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 19, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

You know someone is dropping the hottest of takes when for the first time in almost a year of posting in a thread they stop using punctuation and start using "lol" and The Jeb Meme to show how totally not mad they are.

The gently caress is this

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Before I peaced out of TDS Roy Wood Jr. was hands-down the best of the correspondent team, and I can only assume that this has continued to be the case since.

Michelle Wolf was often enough to make me instantly change the loving channel, tho.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Godfrey's voice actually adds to the material, though.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

And you failed the rest of us!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

She interviews Beck for her show and he talked about how ridiculous and over the top his old show on Fox was. But he's a hypocrite since he just hired Tami Lahren to do the same thing on his network.

And then fired her when she expressed pro-choice sentiment

Which made Bee coddling up with him loving hilarious.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

raditts posted:

... That's it? You don't think calling an interview "coddling" isn't a teensy bit of an exaggeration?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IRQ posted:

Ok so your assertion that she palls around with Glenn Beck was bullshit, could you please expound upon your claim that she fought integration at her kids' school please?

I have no problem accepting new information about things but interviewing people for your show is kind of like, the job, isn't it. Colbert had Trump on, and I think he might not actually like that guy! Just a hunch.

You could have hit her on being rabidly anti-Bernie and super dismissive of his supporters, blindly accusing them of sexism, and I wouldn't disagree, but hey. At the end of the day she's the only one channeling the rage that Jon Stewart had going, and I think that's something we need.

They put it up for free on their website the day after, and you don't have to deal with hulu's rear end UI or commercials. You guys know that right?

Yeah, no, that's bullshit. The entire basis of that interview is that the left and right need to ~come together~ to stop Trump - despite the fact that Trump is the loving right. He is the literal manifestation of it.

I didn't hit her on the Bernie poo poo because I didn't want to have that particular argument. Still don't. I will say that it speaks volumes about Bee that she apparently hates Bernie Sanders more than she does pieces of poo poo like Glenn Beck.

In regards to the school integration opposition, there's unfortunately little on record, largely because Jason Jones is media savvy and was smart enough to tell anti-integration parents to shut the gently caress up:

quote:

One P.S. 452 parent speaking out against the move is comedian and former Daily Show correspondent Jason Jones, who’s married to Samantha Bee. "To portray any opposition as classist or racist is as bad as it can get," Jones told WNYC. And elsewhere: "We are not divided,” he said at a public hearing about the proposal, “we are absolutely united in wanting what's best for our children," then encouraged fellow parents not to talk to the press about the controversy.

And in general, please don't float the idea that Sam Bee has no say whatsoever in regards to her children just 'cause Jones was the one to show his face.

This is a bullshit debunking. All it does is "debunk" the idea that Jones and Bee can't stand the idea of black children in their kids' school, when the criticism is that they put maintaining their affluence ahead of the needs of poor minorities when meeting those needs is perceived to have a negative effect on them.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 20, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Except you're ruling out the idea that anyone might not want their kids' school moved 16 blocks for ANY reason other than fear of the minorities. It's not exactly the most damning evidence against anyone.

When you have to tell the people on your side to not say a word to the press because you know how people will react to your efforts, you're probably on the wrong side of an issue.

Also I literally just said their efforts were likely not founded in racism, but in a desire to protect their class interests - it just so happens that successfully protecting those interests also would have denied poor and minority students a better education. And they were willing to make that trade. And regardless, when the sought-after end result is the exact same as if their objections had been rooted in racism, what's the loving difference?

edit: also insert a "commute anxiety" joke here

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hi, you don't have to downplay Franken's lovely behavior just because worse technically exists.

• Locked thread