Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's sadness in seeing the log lady in TWIN PEAKS. There's a sadness in seeing a lot of the cast actually. Lynch doesn't shy away from the ravages of time like so many revival shows might do (Usually there's a little off handed joke). Seeing her giving a goodbye to Hawk was surprisingly emotional, even without knowing that she passed like right after.

Above all, that's what Lynch's imitators miss out on. He's earnest and emotional. Some of the best moments of the show were these little moments of humanity. I don't think his stuff would ever work without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It weirds me out when really funny sketch comedy guys split up and then make really unfunny poo poo for decades.

I always just wonder what big drama went down between them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I thought it was only 5 seasons, and even then isn't the first season only 8 episodes? There's plenty of diverging they can do if they need to. I'm not going to worry about a showrunner saying how many seasons they want since that poo poo always changes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

SENSE8 has been cancelled folks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I keep hearing this idea that the reason Netflix aren't releasing their viewership is because the numbers are actually fairly low for any given show. I'm sure they're happy with their subscriptions, but beyond that I feel there's probably truth to it. I have to think these cancellations are getting to be a part of that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah they're from a third party company (And US only). I don't think Netflix or Amazon have ever commented on them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jeez, Season 2 just came out didn't it? Was it costing too much to produce or something?

Someone asked Sepinwall on Twitter who said it was one of the more expensive shows that Netflix makes (Clearly all that Internationally shooting) and clearly not enough people were watching. I liked the show, but I also didn't know anyone else who watched it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Folks should watch QUARRY. It was self contained anyway, but it had great performances.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The funniest thing about Hbomberguy's video is those fans who convinced themselves that there was going to be a secret 4th episode and that the other 3 were bad on purpose. Like... That's a crazy delusion to go around with.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm not really sure what the point of this is. Someone made a video about SHERLOCK and the writer's other work at large. It doesn't need an excuse to exist and if people want to watch it that's up to them. Lord knows plenty of us have spent longer watching far worse.

Anyway, THE KEEPERS takes a pretty dark turn in the second episode. What better way to treat the victim of sexual abuse than to tell her that she was a whore and to have her fellate you because that's where the 'holy spirit' is. It's insane how protected these people were.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I've never seen the Hawaii show but I recognize Grace Park from BSG and Daniel Kim from 24/Lost. Who the gently caress are those other guys.

I mean at the very least, Scott Caan is recognisable as being one of the guys from the OCEANS' movies. But who the gently caress knows anything of Alex O'Loughlin other than an ill-advised stint on the THE SHIELD when it was rumoured that FX forced him into the show. But when that show started, Dae Kim and Park were easily the most recognisable members of the cast.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Jeremy Renner made more than Jennifer Lawrence for American Hustle

loving lol, you could have replaced him with a potato and nobody would've cared. Nobody is watching that movie for Hawkeye.

Eh. That movie is a trickier issue and I guess Renner was coming off two Oscar nominations as well. Everyone took paycuts with back end deals to make the movie and then when Lawrence joined they agreed to take even less up front. Renner just got a back end deal that matched Cooper and Bale. If anyone got screwed on that movie it was Amy Adams.

Then again, trying to figure out Hollywood pay is a fool's errand anyway. Lawrence worked half the days on that movie than her male co-stars and isn't the lead, so should she get paid the same? On the other hand, does Lawrence deserve more as a 'hot' property? I'd argue TV pay is a little different than that, given that work is done more consistantly and the stars are more likely to be on equal footing (For example, there's no reason that Duchovny and Gillian Anderson shouldn't get the same pay).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Ah, gently caress. I have to watch The Missing Pieces with my friends before we all start catching up on S3 of Twin Peaks. But I really want to just dive in.

Eh. So far there's not really been a lot to The Missing Pieces that have seemed impoortant to the show. It at least confirms that Diane is a real person but the bulk of the important stuff has been in FWWM.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I've always enjoyed the AvClub, so it's a shame to see that it's kind of just turning into Uproxx. I know it's going to be lol worthy but I legitimately enjoyed their wrestling reviews even while I wasn't watching anymore, but after a time they were made to change it to bullet-points instead because they just want the comments. They also ended their SUPERNATURAL coverage despite the fact that it was one of their most commented upon shows. Nearly every other news item is Trump (Because comments) and most of the best writers have all left.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lycus posted:

I started iZombie S3 and I still don't understand why oh why they did this to Blaine.

I appreciate them trying something new and Anders does what he can with it, but it just doesn't work at all. Honestly I think that it would've been better had they just written him off the show for a while instead.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

In an effort to make them look unreasonable and greedy, CBS announced that they offered Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park "significant" pay increases to stay on HAWAII FIVE-O. Which means that CBS also revealed they were significantly underpaying them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Snak posted:

is the book Black Hawk Down is based on less gross and revisionist than the movie?

I mean it's more detailed and ultimately more nuanced, but I don't remember exactly what is 'revisionist' in the movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

IRQ posted:

IIRC the Indian UN troops were actually heavily involved in the battle rather than how the movie shows them as just kind of sitting around until the very end.

To be fair I saw it on release and not caught it since so I don't remember a lot. I know that technically it's supposed to be supremely accurate (Not surprising from Scott) but it does neglect to mention that the Somali's saw the battle as a heroic victory for them, as shortly after the US withdrew from Somalia. I mean, Bin Laden even cited the battle as proof that Muslim people can overthrow American aggression.

This is actually a pretty good summation of the movie: http://www.smh-hq.org/gazette/blackhawkdown.html

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I need to watch it again when not drunk as balls. The only thing I didn't really care for was running the 'we got lance armstrong to do this' thing into the ground. Not quuuuuuite as good as 7 Days in Hell, but what is?

It was only the Armstrong stuff that left a sour taste. Like, the steroids were arguably the least lovely thing he did.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Catching up with ZOO on Netflix. I can't help but like this dumb show. James Wolk, Billy Burke and Nonso Anozie are much better than the show actually deserves. I'm only in S1, but I'm a little bummed that the ridiculous animal attacks have stopped. A guy being led to his death by a Terrier has been the highlight so far.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CYCLE OF LIES is a pretty good book on Armstrong. Like, there's a reason so many people describe him as being a Sociopath.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Frank Darabont/Walking Dead emails might not be professional, but they're hilarious.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Fuller has said he's already talked to them about it and everyone is interested, but I can't see it happening.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard there's an Ian McKellen interview from years and years ago (I haven't read it - I've only read about it - so take with a grain of salt because it may not even exist) where he reminisced about how he, Maggie Smith and Hopkins all joined Sir Laurence Olivier's Shakespearean company around the same time, and Hopkins was always a guy who didn't care much for the purity of the stage or the dignity of treading the boards or whatever it is Serious Actors go on about, and what he really wanted to do was go to America and make big stupid movies and get paid lots of money for it.

Hopkins himself has always admitted that he was different from his contemporaries because he was always a movie fan and just wanted to act in movies instead of being on stage.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I wonder if they've ever revealed what the original plan for Eko was. The most they've revealed is that he was supposed to be integral to the island (I would wager it forces things to be split three ways between him, Locke and Jack) and whatever they had planned, and had set up, ended when he decided he didn't like Hawaii anymore and wanted to go home instead.

Hell, watching it again, that LOST pilot is so good at drawing you in even when you know where it's all going.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Just read a review of the new HBO/Duplass Brothers joint ROOM 104. I really hope they're paying royalties to INSIDE NO. 9 for that. They even have a silent episode.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Timby posted:

HIMYM's big issue was that they expected us to root for Barney, despite him being an utterly loathsome and monstrous character, and also spent several years making Ted the most pathetic character on television since Ross Geller (and telling us why he and Robin were a terrible couple). I don't think I've seen a once-good show go so spectacularly off the rails since Scrubs (although in Scrubs' favor, at least they rebounded from the woeful sixth and seventh years with a rock-solid finale season ... then pissed all over it with Med School).

But, man, that HIMYM finale. 22 episodes about a wedding weekend, then fifteen minutes into the finale: "Oh, we got divorced." :fuckoff:

Barney works mainly because of Neil Patrick Harris' performance, but when he decides to behave himself he's arguably better with women than Ted is. Some of his stuff with Robin is some of the more realistic and grown up material that the show does. They make Ted the loser of the group, and then he can only go down from there. Saying that, Lily is arguably one of the most easily dislikeable characters, like her poo poo about credit card addiction and how Marshall has to work a lovely job he never wanted to do to support her.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lol at the idea that Jason Segel fell off the radar was because he badmouthed HIMYM. I think at this point it's only NPH who hasn't.

Segel was always a likeable presence and I thought he was fantastic in THE END OF THE TOUR.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I just wrapped up Supernatural season 5. I'm really glad I gave this show a second chance because that was a fantastic series finale.

Yes, I know it's still going but it's clearly where the creators were going to originally end the show.

Yep. It's real clear that Eric Kripke wanted to finish it there until CW stepped in late in the game. I think it was pretty late in production that they decided actually they want to renew it, but they already had their ending and it needed awkward retooling.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

NBC is apparently so pleased with the revived Will & Grace that they've made offers to the creators of the West Wing, The Office, ER, and 30 Rock to just bring those shows back. None of them have accepted.

And by made offers, I mean Bob Greenblatt apparently just bugs these people about it whenever he gets the chance. Like, "Hey, Tina Fey, wanna do some more 30 Rock?"

Sorkin has expressed some interest in reviving THE WEST WING. To a certain extent anyway. He just said that if he has an idea that he thinks works then he would revive the show. NBC ask him every so often.

On the subject of laugh tracks. Generally I don't notice they're there, but there's great uses of it early in CHEERS. The show wasn't afraid to get a bit dramatic occasionally, and you're aware the audience is there but totally silent for it (It also helps that James Burrows does well staging those scenes).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Supernatural would be the best show if it wasn't so afraid of having terrible looking monsters on screen.

I get it's a budget thing, but I do wish they'd bring back some of the creature effects from S1/2. Now, regardless of what it is, it's usually a variation on the same idea (Appears like a person, but they're a monster underneath).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

lelandjs posted:

I've seen somewhere that it was actually a gambit by Cuse and Lindelof--they made an episode that was intentionally medicore and, instead of advancing the overall plot, explained the most inane "mystery" they could think of. They then took the ratings and viewer response to the ABC execs and said "Look, either you can give us an end date so we can start working towards an ending like the viewers want, or we can keep spinning our wheels with episodes like this, we'll lose viewers, and you'll end up cancelling us in a year or two."

I like to think that's what actually happened, because overall the casting in Lost is so good that the only logical explanation for notably terrible actress Bai Ling being in the show is that they were pulling a "Producers" style stunt.

Or maybe they just put out a bad episode.

They knew they were just spinning their wheels and they knew they produced a bad episode. Once it was done they took it to ABC and just said listen, here's when we want to end the show, if we don't get that you're going to get more episodes like this because we don't know how long this is going to have to run. ABC agreed and it's reflected in the latter half of S3 which is much better than the start.

I don't think they intentionally made a bad episode for that purpose, but they made one and used it as leverage to get the end date they wanted, which was a pretty good move on their part.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I kind of don't get the idea of making all your websites look exactly the same. I'm sure it's something to do with advertisers, but given the lack of staff there now (RIP The Dissolve) and coverage for only the biggest shows, which is just what every other site does anyway, the desire to visit that site has never been less.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

After running off David E Kelley, now GOLIATH has lost its second season showrunner. Seems Billy Bob isn't the easiest to work with.

What's crazy though is that because of changes it's working out around $10m an episode. That's more than GoT is costing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/amazons-goliath-loses-second-showrunner-1036095

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I hope enough people watch this show and Scientology finally crumbles as a result. It's been able to continue for far too long.

Their numbers are falling. By and large the only people still going are legacy members but that's not what they need. I think too many people now know what Scientology is to really fall for it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Norwegian Rudo posted:

People didn't leave that ultra Mormon sex cult where the church leaders "married" all the underage girls. Anything that comes out here is nothing compared to that. People can convince themselves about just about anything.

They'll still get new sign ups. One of the things they do is hang around auditions and things like that and try and get budding actors/actresses to join up because they tell them hey, we're the religion of Hollywood, we got your back. It worked for Tom Cruise, which is why never left them.

The sex stuff isn't that surprising given that just about any religion or cult where those power dynamics are at play usually devolves into that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I thought gently caress Scientology was fine, but there's a lot of crossover with Lawrence Wright's book, which was fantastically researched and pretty much lays out every facet of what they do, particularly the slave labour that built Tom Cruise's new hanger.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

What were the big snubs and surprises of the ceremony this year, then?

Immediate rumour mill seems to suggest that Feud might have been snubbed because it got into that trouble with Olivia de Havilland.

I don't think Emmy voters would give a poo poo about that. Besides, if anyone has a case to be grieved it's the family of Robert Aldrich seeing as they really gently caress him over.

The stuff that deserves to win rarely wins. Like THE HANDMAID'S TALE, which got worse as it went on despite starting out great.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Netflix just need to make better shows that aren't 8 episodes stretched out to 13. I wasn't that hot on STRANGER THINGS, but I'm glad the creators knew how many episodes were enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Arist posted:

Stop loving saying this

Nah, it's like your batsignal.

Whatever the reason, Netflix shows have pacing issues and, at the very least, every Marvel show has run into the same problem. Even JESSICA JONES, which I liked a lot, stumbles while it spins it's wheels.

13 REASONS WHY runs into repetition issues the more it goes on until it gets to the end. I don't watch HOUSE OF CARDS so I can't say if it's the same for them.

So, either the writers need to get better at writing for binge watchers, or Netflix (or whoever is making them) need to experiment more.

• Locked thread