Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

She actually disliked Kevin Smith. He was good friends with Ben Affleck but after the marriage he wasn't invited to anything anymore.

I remember hearing that too; I imagine it had something to do with him being a proud stoner in his 40s when she and Ben were trying to start a family. And on a certain level, that sucks. But to bring it back to Olyphant, you know what they say about assholes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFGAp6Ip40

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Santa Clarita Diet rules

It's got one note, but I like that note, and it plays it really well.

(Episode 5) "Loki Hayes. Larceny, arson, homicide, homicide, homicide, homicide, impersonating a forest ranger..."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo, Olyphant's delivery in episode 6: "But what if you did [bite him]? And what if that makes him turn, and then he bites someone, and then they bite someone, and pretty soon we're like the biggest assholes ever?"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

I mean, conservatives thought Obama was the bad guy.

The villainous president, Charles Logan, was a staple of Season 5, which aired in 2006 -- just about lining it up with when the country started pushing back against the Bush Administration. Not that you're wrong, it was very much an "ends justify the means" kind of show; Kiefer Sutherland is actually a more liberal-minded guy, but Joel Surnow was/is a huge neo-conservative who would later try to create "the conservative answer to The Daily Show" with The 1/2 Hour News Hour. (Howard Gordon, who would eventually run the show in later years, identifies as a Libertarian.) And there was also that time when some sneering :siren: ACLU LAWYER :siren: actively facilitated terrorism by springing the bad guy out of CTU because :cry: HE HAS RIGHTS :cry:.

Still, the show's politics weren't as cut and dried as they may have seem on the surface, and the show even tried to walk back its pro-torture stance in season 7: First, by stating out loud, "Hey did you know torture is actually kinda bad?" Then in the long run by focusing more on the tragic nature of Jack Bauer and tying it directly to the work he did. (Live Another Day was some pretty intense poo poo, especially at the end.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 6, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

Great Hot Take from a guy I've never heard of.

The Atlantic is a solid highbrow outlet, I wouldn't write off his opinion under normal circumstances. However, Hawley seems to be on some "gently caress everything," last-ten-minutes-of-Speed-Racer poo poo and that can throw off even the most intuitive critics.

Is there a thread? I think I might make one.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I feel like an rear end in a top hat posting this right after the Richard Hatch news, but Netflix just unleashed a Michael Bolton Valentine's Day Special onto the world.

It was co-directed by Scott Auckerman and Akiva Schaffer.

You know what to do.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zerilan posted:

Looking for something of decent length on Netflix to slowly burn through. Is Shameless good?

It's awesome, but it will beat the holy poo poo out of you.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zerilan posted:

I didn't know there was more than one? I mean whichever one has William H Macy.

That's the US version. Prepare to crush hard on Emmy Rossum, though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here's your Legion thread for tonight: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809253&perpage=40

Feel like I could've done better on the thread title but I'm sure a more appropriate quote will come along soon.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

less laughter posted:

Just announced:

[Castlevania coming to Netflix]

:tviv:

This might be the animated one that Adi Shankar -- producer of Dredd and that gritty Power/Rangers short from a year or so back -- was putting together with Frederator Studios. If that's the case, hold on to your butts because Shankar's a drat hombre.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this! posted:

Nicolas Winding Refn and Ed Brubaker are working together on a crime series for Amazon. Its going to be called Too Old to Die and will be about gangsters in LA. No word yet on the time period of the setting although Bru has shown particular fondness for period pieces.

gently caress you for telling me about this long before I can actually see it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Lurdiak posted:

E: Lmao those dislikes. Doesn't take much, does it.

Because I'm insane I looked at the comments section and, behold, a tiny spark of hope.

"cant wait to destroy this tomorrow"

"by 'destroy' you mean making a video of you crying in your mom's house?"

I mean the rest of it is a trash fire, that should go without saying, but hey.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I feel like I must be broken because I legitimately don't enjoy watching lovely people out themselves as lovely. It just makes me depressed.

That's funny, because I'm pretty sure that's how half of us ended up on this forum. (For me it was the DogFUCKER44 saga.)

Not that I don't get it though; in fact, lately that's been me.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, sweet Christ, Riverdale. First of all, Shannon Purser's episode aired today (she plays Ethel Muggs), and at the end of the episode, Cheryl Blossom tosses off "#JusticeForEthel" as a line. I thought it was funny. Fight me.

But that's not what drove me here. Preview for next week airs: You know how we were kinda rolling our eyes about Miss Grundy suddenly being a hot cougar because it's the CW (and also because she was loving Archie)? Well, turns out she might have stolen the real Miss Grundy's identity so now that's gonna be a drat thing on top of all the other drat things in this loving show.

I think I'm in love, guys.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe, but for now it opened with the second biggest demo rating of the night behind just a basketball game.

Wait, across all of TV?

If so, :eyepop:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here comes Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 3.

The teaser is a Lemonade parody so stay away if that's going to piss you off.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

I have no idea what lemonade you're referring to but I'm stoked that kimmy Schmidt is coming back!

When the gently caress is Bojack back?

Probably July, it's too early to start promoting anything.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

I'd imagine it was on par with the original. Just the people that grew up watching that you know, grew up. Now they realize it wasn't very good to begin with. Or maybe they don't realize it and think it was. Who knows. I assume that's also what happened to the Boy Meets World spinoff.

My brother, who dug Full House when he was growing up, kept up with Fuller House for shits and giggles and one day he realized that he was really, genuinely into the show. He sees it as an updated version of the kind of charmingly cheesy late 80s-early 90s sitcom that Full House represented.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

and apparently, neither do most netflix subscribers, since it had a 1-star rating and things on netflix have to be unmitigated poo poo to get rated that low.

Actually, that rating is based on what Netflix thinks you'll think of it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STkh15nZ1uA

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I was going to say wouldn't the author whose name I can't remember hate him more, but then I remembered she had beef with Seth Meyers over the apartment.

I'd like to know more about any of this.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm not sure I've ever wanted the next episode of anything more than I want the next episode of Riverdale right now.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Mick has been renewed!

gently caress YEAH

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hearing that The Mick was renewed made me realize that I haven't been keeping up with it, so I went ahead and jumped back in, and sweet Jesus the ending of "The Snitch" was horrifying and awesome.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

feedmyleg posted:

Is The Mick not mediocre? I heard it was mediocre, at least the first few episodes when reviewed by several publications.

I'm just gonna go ahead and spoil the episode I was talking about earlier. So in case you don't know, The Mick is about Sweet Dee watching over her rich sister's spoiled-rear end children while she and her husband hide from the law. End of the day, it comes down to the same "we're a family and we have to stick together" message you'd expect from a premise like this, but it's short on heartwarming speeches and long on being rude as poo poo.

For instance, "The Snitch." Chip, the Eric Trump-rear end 8th grade middle son of the family, is caught with a dirty pic on his phone, one of many that was sent out to the members of his lacrosse team. Chip has to go in front of an honor council, headed by his older sister Sabrina, and tell them who else got pics and who's been distributing them. Sweet Dee's position on this is clear: nobody snitches in this family, and gently caress Sabrina for trying to get Chip to do so. Still, Sabrina keeps trying to persuade Chip to play ball while Chip buddies up with the lacrosse team and continues to jerk it to the pic he got; the girl has some kind of fish tattoo on her abdomen.

Long story short, they go in front of the honor council, Sweet Dee acts as Chip's advocate (which she preps for by marathoning a whole bunch of prep school movies), and when the principal calls for a break, Sabrina stands, her uniform rides up...revealing the fish tattoo Chip's been whacking off to all along.

That's a WEAK episode. I refuse to write this kind of synopsis for episodes like "The Balloon" or "The Master" because you just need to goddamn watch them.

tl;dr: No, The Mick is not mediocre. It's a bit of a diet version of Always Sunny, but God drat it can connect.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 22, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mameluke posted:

Also also, has any news come out about the renewal of Sweet/Vicious? I adore that first season, and would love to see more.

It's still on the bubble, even though it's been pulling lower numbers than the two comedies MTV just cancelled. A bad sign is that it was developed under a previous regime, so there aren't any personal incentives to keep it around. On top of that, the Viacom CEO is claiming that the new MTV president's marching orders is on solidifying its unscripted lineup, because apparently running four hour blocks of Ridiculousness and Catfish every day isn't solid enough.

That said, the critics are screaming loud enough for the new president to acknowledge it.

quote:

"Sweet/Vicious is a story we think is incredibly important and very timely and we're trying to figure out what the right way to relaunch that and figure out what the next iteration of that is. No decision has been made yet but we love the show and are trying to figure that out."

I mean they could start by actually promoting the loving thing and getting it on streaming platforms other than their own, but I'll take what I can get.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this! posted:

Whelp, if you happen to be a weirdo with a SeeSo subscription My Brother, My Brother and Me is up.

Hey, SeeSo also gets you Take My Wife, which is worth the $4/mo alone, as well as Monty Python and A Bit of Fry & Laurie.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

wormil posted:

What do you guys think of Legion? I watched about 45 minutes of ep1 and don't think it's for me but maybe if it changes after that ??

Second episode slows down and explains what's going on a bit better, but if you're not into episode 1, chances are the show's just not your speed. This sucker came out fully formed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, Christ, not Bill Paxton.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I don't get it.

...Son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5i6BHBuqxE

I mean Tofutti isn't the same as frozen yogurt, but STILL.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

Richard from The 4400 (that's where I first saw and really liked him) won an Oscar tonight. So everything is good in the world for this short time.

What I'm about to say is so loving typical in a way, as if the ultimate compliment for any actor is to fantasy cast him in some revival or other geek property. But if Hollywood decides the world needs a Jonny Quest movie, then the world needs Mahershala Ali to play Race Bannon.

Fight me.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just roll with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo5nnF2Bk4E

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Timby posted:

Don't forget that Marvel Studios also put Scott (Lumberjack Dexter) Buck in charge of The Inhumans.

I wouldn't be surprised if that changes reeeeal quick, especially if social media reacts to this show the way the critical press did -- especially after the Asian-American Danny Rand campaign. Marvel has never eaten poo poo like this before.

Just for the record, I thought Asian-American Danny Rand would've been cool, but I didn't mind when they went traditional. I think you can get plenty of juice out of a story about a boy of great privilege being forcibly separated from society for years, only to return with an enlightened soul that his old friends and colleagues don't share or understand. It looks like Scott Buck, being Scott Buck, made the absolute least interesting version of that story possible, though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Medullah posted:

But even that is more of a reimagining than a revival. Sure it's got Crow and Tom Servo, but it's not like a series that's picking back up.

Joel's been REALLY smart about managing people's expectations for it. He's confident (and so far early reaction sounds like he should be, even if he got them in the easiest rooms possible), but he's made it clear from the beginning that while the concept was timeless, there was no way that new episodes were going to feel like they used to. It's why he extended an open invitation to the old cast to make cameos (an invitation eventually accepted by Mary Jo, Bill, and Kevin), but didn't directly approach them about coming back.

I backed the MST3K revival as a skeptic, and I'm still a skeptic. But I really respect the effort I've seen (Joel's insight on how he rethought Gypsy, in particular, was amazing), and if I end up not liking it, it'll feel more like the end of Friday Night Lights (the film) than the beginning of Postal (the game).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Guy Mann posted:

I feel like I would like Legion's plot a lot more if Stranger Things hadn't come out before it, because they're both about the same thing (a powerful psychic who has been damaged by being institutionalized and experimented on accidentally makes contact with a malevolent force from another world, seeks to understand and stop it with the help of new friends)

Thanks for the laugh dude, I needed it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So I'm only ten minutes into The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel but this is entirely my poo poo so far.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Arist posted:

I finished Iron Fist. I was pretty forgiving and it's still like a C+ at absolute best. The worst thing about it is that it made me curious to see a good version of Iron Fist, which will in all likelihood never happen.

I'll say again: I will not be surprised if Scott Buck is out on his rear end if/when Marvel announces Iron Fist Season 2.

I'm not counting on it. But I won't be surprised.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

DP, what shows from the past few years have you really disliked? Just wondering. I know what you like (everything) but not what you dislike really.

As far as what I REALLY dislike? Not much, I'm afraid: you gotta work to really piss me off. I couldn't make it 15 minutes through Pacific Heat, for instance. I've also grown to hate Tosh.0 if that counts.

If you expand the scope to shows I just don't give a poo poo about, then you start seeing some surprises, like Orange is the New Black and Game of Thrones. Also on this list is The Walking Dead, though I contend that first season was Good poo poo and I probably would've stayed with it for at least a little while longer if AMC didn't gently caress over Frank Darabont.

Technically Crazyhead and The Get Down are also on this list, but those are more like shows that I haven't bothered to push forward on despite seeing a lot of potential in their pilots.

If you don't mind me going waaaaay back, there was a rejected USA pilot that the network burned off a long time ago called To Love and Die, starring Shiri Appleby and Tim Matheson. It's about a young single woman who wants to follow in her hitman father's footsteps and is, to this day, the worst goddamn thing I've ever seen on television. I dare you to find it on BitTorrent. If you do, I dare you to find it worth the effort.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Yeah so you're definitely going to have to get on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, like, ASAP. When your main character is an aspiring stand-up in 1958 and you put her in the back of a cop car with Lenny Motherfucking Bruce after her climactic performance, you are putting your massive loving balls right on the table for anyone to smash. Luckily for ASP, she can write her rear end off, and Rachel Brosnahan, perhaps like Sutton Foster and Lauren Graham before her, can act the gently caress out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Emotional connection can help you forgive a lot, and a show that can forge such a connection despite its faults in the narrative is accomplished in its own right, so let's pump the brakes on the "LOL GOONS" bullshit. Jessica Jones has problems; some illustrated by feedmyleg above. But just because those problems don't matter as much to certain people doesn't make them bad at watching TV.

• Locked thread