Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hey, maybe Rall's dad worked for DARPA and he got to play around with the most primitive form of the internet as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That doesn't seem so ba- *scrolls down* holy poo poo.

Maybe they can just cut off the bottom part.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did the news even use the word "base" before Trump came along? I can't even remember.

edit: I don't remember much in general about the before time.

Absolutely. I remember hearing it all the time when I first started paying attention to politics in like 2004.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's also just the same old "Why isn't the revolution happening?" thing Rall has done a million times. In a vacuum it's a good cartoon, but knowing the artist it's a broken clock at best.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Trump is the best thing to happen to Rall since he can finally get away with his lazy Godwins but lol that he can't get published now that it's time for him to front the #resistance, and his art has deteriorated too much to caricature the most ridiculous oaf in politics

He can get published.

By noted Russian propaganda rag Sputnik news.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Panty Saluter posted:

I thought the V1/V2 were never actually used by the Third Reich in combat?

They weren't designed to be used in combat. They just aimed them in the general direction of London and hoped for the best. They just hit random buildings around the city and surrounding countryside. It was very effective as a form of psychological warfare, if not conventional.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vib Rib posted:

Do you have this one?
Asay never ceases to amaze me.

Found it!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The most telling thing is that Mr Not An Argument doesn't seem to understand that there's a difference between "valid" and "true" in logic. Any individual premise in an argument can be as crazy as you want, like "all seagulls have commercial fishing licenses", it doesn't matter at all for validity. The important thing is that all the premises and statements fit together in a consistent way.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pakled posted:

Mallard Fillmore and Prickly City aren't editorial cartoons, they're syndicated strips that are distributed in the same fashion as newspaper cartoons like Garfield and Beetle Bailey. A two-week delay is the standard lead-in time for such strips, for some reason.

The standard lead time is about month, even longer for sunday strips. Political strips like Mallard and Doonesbury get a special exception so they can be more timely. A mere two week delay is lightning fast for newspaper comics.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Hmm, I wonder why so many people feel alienated from the church nowadays? Oh well, they're wrong and bad if they don't agree with us anyway, so who cares.

I love how you can see the pivot from "inclusive people" to "ruthlessly vilifying TRUE marriage" so clearly. Really not a good look to have them next to each other like that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Aw yeah, that's the stuff.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Neodoomium posted:

Has anyone ever had a Pulitzer revoked?

If so, have they ever had two revoked?

Never. Although apparently they considered it for a guy who ignored the plight of Ukraine under Stalin in the '30s.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Starving Wolf posted:

...of course.

Man, if there's one thing that I think of when I think of democrats, and left-wing groups in general, it's their strict adherence to conformity. They're always just toeing the line and moving in lock-step, perfectly following a rigid, centralized plan. No infighting allowed!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like what is different about it than any other webcomic? is it like published in some political cartoon thing or should someone post like oglaf comics because they mention gender equality sometimes?

Well for one thing it's printed in newspapers :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Radish posted:

Is Megatokyo still running and have those guys made it out of Japan yet???

Of course it is, and no they haven't.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bad Reporter, best reporter :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

There's a weird idea that more complicated ideas are actually better. Like it's ACTUALLY cheaper and more efficient to make a rube goldberg machine that subtly lowers the price of books than to just build a free books building. Of course that's not actually provable in any concrete way but if you look at these statistics you can see-

It keeps these programs safely enshrouded in political fog. It sounds complicated, so most people will be indifferent or vaguely supportive if the outcomes sound good. It also makes it easier to reduce things to political tribalism. Like how the policies of the ACA were wildly popular, but Obamacare was reviled.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Office Pig posted:

I'd complain that Graham isn't depicted as literally Satan but you know something, Cassidy really did go out of his way to earn this caricature. Like, way, way, way
out of his way.

Oddly enough AHIP came out against Graham-Cassidy, which is... different.

I like the version he posted earlier on twitter:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Shangri-Law School posted:

This is adorable, and it should not be adorable. :3:

Kind of unnecessarily insulting to tardigrades, though. What did they ever do to warrant being compared to Trump?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Avirosb posted:

Has this been posted?

Wait I got this one.

Players successfully avoided the corrupting influence of the NFL, spewing sponsorship money at them, to stick to their principles and protest injustice. AGC.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 26, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lurdiak posted:

Did you guys know being boiled in a comical pot like a joke from a 1952 tarzan parody is a fetish for some people.

I know way more about vore than I'd like to, yeah.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That first one is depressingly realistic :smith:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Elysiume posted:

A lot of hospital and medical things (in the US at least) use the Caduceus rather than the Rod of Asklepios. Something something American healthcare

You can blame that on the US Army Medical Corps, which used it for its emblem back in 1902. One single officer got his snake rods mixed up and now we've all got to live with it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nostradingus posted:

Zelda hasn't touched on anything political in a long, long time and addresses political issues way less frequently than many other webcomics. Why don't we start posting Questionable Content and Dinosaur Comics in here while we're at it?

Because it's printed in newspapers, just like Prickly City and Drinky Duck.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

No interpretation necessary, that's just AGC right there. I guess we're lucky Garrison doesn't append his screeds to the cartoons like Mr Fish.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sandpuppy posted:

In how many of those movies does he sport a goatee w/bald head?

Pretty sure that's supposed to be Walter White and the author slipped up. Shoulda just had the guy say "Movies and TV", especially since it seems like lots of the "Ugh, diversity" complaints stem from minority and female Star Trek captains.

They shouldn't worry, the female minority captain in Discovery dies in the second episode, and then the female minority protagonist is sent to jail. Then she's recruited en route to a prison colony by a white male captain and given a second chance!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sir Tonk posted:

So is Gary's whole point that her son never met his father in the first place because all black father's are absent or whatever?

Yes, it's literally the same joke as that infamous Bill Leak cartoon, but in reverse. Also the caricatures feel even more racist, but that may just be because they're more crude.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That is a solid pun.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OldMemes posted:

Is Johnson considered to be a good president or not? Non-American here, and he seems to be one of the 20th century Presidents people don't seem to talk about much, so is he considered good or bad?

Generally positive, but not deified like FDR or Reagan.

He was basically amazing on domestic policy and terrible at foreign policy. Didn't know what to do about Vietnam, so just followed to advice of people who turned out to be incredibly wrong about everything. But he helped pass a ton of incredibly important civil rights legislation and strengthened the social safety net.

Also he had strong opinions about pants.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nonsense, this is an election year....

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God bless :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Post 9-11 User posted:

I was going to post some new Jerm! and Honest John cartoons but they are atrociously bad, hate crimes against the visual senses.

So they would be perfect for this thread! Bring 'em on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Samurai Sanders posted:

In that case it's interesting that it's portrayed as a pig here. That's usually the sign of political and business collusion but in this case the collusion would be with what, poor minorities?

It's a pig with lipstick.

Remember that meme from... almost a decade ago?

• Locked thread