Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog, on :australia: STRAYA DAY :australia: :

Bill Leak, on :australia: STRAYA DAY :australia: :

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall's "caricature" of Trump is always going to be the most annoying thing for me about his cartoons. Absolutely no attempt whatsoever.

edit: I'm assuming that's Trump and not Hillary up there purely because of the tie, it's that bad.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 26, 2017

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe, on :australia: STRAYA DAY :australia: :

Bill Leak, on :australia: STRAYA DAY :australia: :

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Thoughtless posted:

I feel like I'm being willfully dense here but I really don't know what this is saying.
Trump has pulled the plug on the the TPP and will be eaten alive by China.

Alan Moir's another Aussie cartoonist, our PM is frantically trying to keep the TPP alive and there is a push to rework it so that China takes the US place.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe:

Bill Leak:

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten on the left, Shadow Treasurer Chris Bowen on the right.
Conservatives are arguing that in order to stay competitive with Trump's America, Australia needs to slash its company tax rate.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

How is this your headline and not New Guinea and Australia creeping up for a surprise attack.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe:

Malcolm Turnbull had a phone call with Donald Trump to ensure that the US will still honour the deal with Australia to accept the refugees on Manus Island and Naurus despite everything else that might be happening in US politics at the moment.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's with the hammers?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Why is there a little demon nun piece in Arizona.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

So we're straight up never going to move past "Yes but what about Benghazi???" huh.
Benghazi happened and it's all Obama's Hillary's the White House Press Corp's fault.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe:

Scott Morrison, Treasurer and former immigration minister, on the radio declined to criticise Trump's travel ban. Quote: "The rest of the world is catching up to Australia".

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall had an entire election campaign to refine his caricatures of these two and this is what he put out.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's a little surreal that Trump isn't even president yet in Tinsley's universe.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

Australian Opposition Leader Bill Shorten gave his first address of the year to the National Press Club; his focus is on jobs, including reform of the work visa system.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak (:australia:):

Leak notes:
CFMEU is the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union, and drawing Opposition Leader Bill Shorten as its puppet is a stock Leak character (including the red cap which pre-dates Trump).

Turnbull had a phone call with Trump to secure the deal to resettle the refugees on Manus Island and Nauru and since then has been saying only very chummy things about our relationship with the US, to the point where everyone on the political spectrum has noticed and is wondering what this is going to cost us in return.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe:

Donald Trump tweeted about Australia! He knows we exist! oh poo poo

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I keep playing the "which of these two characters does the author expect you to sympathise with" game in my head and I keep getting it wrong.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

A new take on the PC vs. Mac war.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe (:australia:):

On the left is Joe Hockey, the Australian ambassador.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Ranter posted:

What Papers is Rowe published in? The age?
Australian Financial Review.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well, I'm listening. How do you study a fish's oxygen consumption rate and nutrient needs without a treadmill?
Obviously it's a waste of taxpayer funds to study fish biology if they're all going to be extinct in a few decades regardless.

Similarly kids won't need toys once the Forever War starts.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I shouldn't be surprised at the amount of people swallowing the line, now touted by the loving President himself, that Milo (sometimes, Spencer too) is just some harmless bright-eyed lover of freedom of speech whose only crime is holding a slightly different opinion, and he's been stomped into the mud by the REAL fascists, college students.
The number of BERKELEY KILLED FREE SPEECH comics is loving staggering.
I wasn't surprised by drawing rioters against FREE SPEECH and labelling them Generic Left, I did raise an eyebrow that some are drawing Milo and Spencer and labelling them Generic Right. I thought they would Ramirez it and leave the other side blank.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Waiting to see if any cartoonists try to defend the Bowling Green thing
I'm guessing lawn bowls isn't much of a thing in the USA because it's the first image that came to my mind yet I haven't seen any cartoon jokes on that theme yet.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Do you think Bill tries to not draw any blacks with the standard mammy caricature but then realizes he bought way to much red ink and is like gently caress I GOTTA USE IT SOMEHOW.
To be fair the cartoons are considerably desaturated in print, allowing you to appreciate the finer subtleties of the racism.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's only the 6th, he's already made two weeks worth of crimes against poetry.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe (:australia:):

There are strong rumours that Senator Cory Bernardi, inspired by Trump and Brexit, is about to jump ship from the Liberals to form his own conservative Bernardi Pardi. There are questions about whether it's going to be just him (which would at best still be a major headache for the Libs) or whether any MPs in the lower house are along for the ride (which would be an utter shambles).

Malcolm Bligh Turnbull's middle name is from the captain of the Mutiny of the Bounty, so expect a lot of Aussie cartoons on this motif.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Ted Rall really is the Boy Who Cried Hitler. Now he's faced with Trump he doesn't know what to do.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Relax because as a white person in California, he won't feel the terrible poo poo Trump will do, and he will then conclude in 4 years that Trump was actually better than Hillary would have been?
In three years we'll start getting comics about how all the Democratic candidates are exactly the same as Trump.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

Pee pee, he is a bad prime minister.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

Turnbull gives a speech in front of the empty void, being clear to pronounce every colon.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia: Parliament is in session.

Bill Leak:

Turnbull is starting the new year of parliament by going full out on the attack on Opposition Leader Bill Shorten (pictured), which Leak and the Australian love.

David Rowe:

A bunch of stuff that happened in parliament.

Right: Rowe's take on Turnbull in attack mode.
Back: Power security in South Australia is a top priority for the government and Turnbull is starting to go close to full Abbott on the War on Windmills.
Left: The government is scrapping the Gold Life Pass, a perk for ex-pollies to get free business class travel if they have been around for long enough. Senator Ian Macdonald the current longest serving politician broke from the rest of the government to defend politicians and their perks.
Front: Treasurer Scott Morrison came to question time with a lump of coal and passed it around for the rest of government to play with, this is a thing that happened in our parliament.

Not pictured, Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce is a coal wizard:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I think it's supposed to be it's the tip of an iceberg or something really dumb that doesn't pair well with a lava lamp.
I am guessing the lava lamp is meant to represent a fad that is the product of its time.

Either that or a potential fire hazard.

• Locked thread