Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Merry GalatianMan #1000, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Capntastic posted:

How's the Galatianman plot arc coming along?

Angus got kidnapped and sent to a coffee plantation. I think he's okay with it.

Art got kidnapped by Muslims who sold him to... this Indian bounty hunter who loves money and hates God.

Weed got a job at a liberal MSM TV studio as their pet conservative punching bag, but he told the truth too much, and I guess they're going to throw him to the mob? Maybe? It's been months, and he's still there, so...

Bubbacub posted:

I haven't followed political cartoons since 2013. Weird to see that Asay, Bonsteel, and BAR BEE are gone.

RIP Barbee.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

King Possum III posted:

Like all the conservatives who swore they'd emigrate if same-sex marriage ever became legal? :wave:

Rush Limbaugh: I'll Leave Country Over Health Bill

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Obama's vicious, dangerous final acts, like dismantling a defunct, useless Muslim immigrant registry will sink Trump. :confused:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Why aren't people jumping on board with the scatterbrained Republican?!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Starshark posted:

Don't worry! The millennials will get the blame for not working hard enough. Not that I give a poo poo as a Gen X'er, I just think it's funny to see the generation with the short end of the capitalist stick getting the most poo poo.

Actually, even though Millennials are lazy slackers who don't work hard enough, they are also working too hard and ruining vacation for everyone else.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ularg posted:

Can someone explain to me the "Well intelligence also said there were WMDs so why trust them now?" claims? My gut tells me it's bullshit.

Lie by Lie: A Timeline of How We Got Into Iraq

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Trump is a citizen of the world

The version of the document that was posted online doesn't contain this or the other stuff that's being posted on 4chan as supposed proof that it was all a /pol/ ruse. It's also photographed from directly above.

It could all still be completely made up, but the only "Here's what Trump did in Moscow" stuff is the pissing thing and him hiring prostitutes for sex parties. Everything else is just trying to track who in the Trump camp was working with the Russians and how comfortable the two parties felt about the Clinton e-mail campaign.

Fulchrum posted:

Which category did it fall in when he mocked the guy with arthrogryposis?

Snopes posted:

The New York Times, Kovaleski's current employer, said in a statement that “We think it's outrageous that [Donald Trump] would ridicule the appearance of one of our reporters." Trump responded in familiar fashion, issuing a series of tweets in which he admonished Kovaleski to "stop using his disability to grandstand" and repeatedly disparaged the Times:

"Somebody at the financially failing and totally biased New York Times said that, over the years, I have met Mr. Kovaleski. Serge Kovaleski must think a lot of himself if he thinks I remember him from decades ago — if I ever met him at all, which I doubt I did. He should stop using his disability to grandstand get back to reporting for a paper that is rapidly going down the tubes."

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 11, 2017

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

"Jokes are false, and suspect, and irresponsible" — Old D&D Saying

Fair enough, but my MAGA acquaintances are rushing to quote all of that stuff as definite proof that nobody should believe any of it.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

"Yawn! Who cares what some liberal celebrity thinks?" barked every conservative cartoonist, immediately rushing over to their drawing boards to draft a cartoon about how much said celebrity doesn't matter.

I wonder, if you go back far enough, how tiny Trump would have to be to fill Obama's shoes, since Obama was too tiny to fill Bush's shoes, who was too tiny to fill Clinton's shoes, who...

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I feel like a lot of people now understand the baffling visceral rage a lot of rightists felt over Obama, where every little thing he did was somehow grating. Feels a little hypocritical after years of "drat, can't you guys find one single nice thing to say about Obama" but here we are.

It's hard to accept this, except for a few outliers like Pissgate, because Trump genuinely flies off the handle, tosses around lowbrow insults, lies or forgets what he's said from hour to hour, and is actively appointing the most destructive people he can find to every single post he has influence over. Meanwhile, Obama was hated because Marxist Muslim madrassah dijon mustard salt death panels lapel pin taking your guns -- things that didn't happen or didn't matter.

I could buy it for post-election Bush because he got a lot of poo poo for just seeming pretty dumb and looking like a chimp. It wasn't until he dragged the country into crazytown ca. 2002 that people's anger started to match the consequences of his actions.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

21 Muns posted:

Wasn't the early anger about Bush mostly a consequence of the absurdly close election (decided by less than a thousand votes), in which he lost the popular vote while winning for the first time in over a hundred years?

That's also a very good point, but if we're talking about things Presidents have actually done of their own accord, Trump is getting a really early start, what with tanking defense company stocks, recalling every ambassador, refusing to divest his investments, bringing his kids along to meetings with foreign leaders, etc.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Wow, that's pretty harsh on your relatives, Duck.

Somfin posted:

Did, uh

Is this set of numbers a policy that can legally be called an insurance policy post-ACA? I thought that companies were voluntarily cancelling that poo poo, hence the "keep your doctor" nontroversy.

Assuming he means "$7,000 per year," yes, it's quite doable if you don't meet the financial requirements for aid. In fact, the deductibles are even worse.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Right off the cliff:

quote:

Honestly, a meme-filled inaugural address might be better than what we actually get.

Well, three out of four ain't bad. Shame we had to mess the last one up.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MelvinBison posted:

Wait what? What happened?

Cartoon Depicting Bush Being ‘Politically’ Assassinated Draws Secret Service Attention

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Unemployment is down, but the jobs people are getting aren't the ones they want. The number isn't the end all be all and this is a big reason the last election went how it did.

It's still a bullshit cartoon but I wish the "this is fine"-ing about the unemployment number would get a little more nuanced.

You're right, but it's hard to resist snarking when the cartoon only says, "Duhhhh, Obama say thing good! Flurp derp poop"

Here's an interesting chart: the seasonally-adjusted employment-population ratio:

(https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/srgate, series LNS12300000)

ratbert90 posted:

GOP before the ACA: Everybody needs to be a responsible adult and pay for their own healthcare!
GOP after the ACA: Why am I being forced to buy healthcare?!?!?!

What if I rationally decide I'd rather die than be insured? What if I want to drive a clunker? What if I just enjoy rolling around in my own filth all day?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Stultus Maximus posted:

For some reason, Roll is making me angry again. Where's your arrest record, Ted? Where are your scars? Where is your molotov, your brick, your bat? When in his life has Todd ever done even what the soft, ineffective liberals he criticizes do much less gone farther?

Well, he did get cuffed by those corrupt LA cops for no reason at all (pending resolution of his lawsuit).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

I'm liking this run-up to the end of Prickly City, but I'll be very disappointed when Carmen wakes up and it turns out she was Calvin dreaming of being a conservative minority girl the whole time.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sandpuppy posted:

Gamble loves the classics!

Great timing.

quote:

The British Antarctic Survey is to pull all staff out of its space-age Halley base in March for safety reasons.

The highly unusual move is necessary because the Brunt Ice Shelf on which the research station sits has developed a big new crack.

The move was necessitated by a chasm that had opened up in the shelf and which threatened to cut off Halley. But this huge fissure to the west of the station is not the cause of the temporary closure.

Rather, it is another break in the ice some 17km to the north and east of the new base position. It has been dubbed the "Halloween Crack" because it was discovered on 31 October.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Joe the Trump Voter is still obsessed with attacking a washed-up political candidate to avoid thinking about his own choices. An accurate cartoon.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MMF Freeway posted:

What is the actual point of this strip? Like I don't think I've ever seen it make a joke and it rarely even expresses a political opinion. Everytime I read it my reaction is the same: "Uhh okay??"

Because Doonesbury exists and is nominally liberal, conservatives demand that the funny pages make equal time for conservative comics. Or twice as many, depending on whether they also carry Mallard Fillmore. Humor doesn't really factor into their appeal.

But at least Stantis is capable of having this boring, protracted six-month meltdown over Trump taking office, even if he's not going to, y'know, talk about Trump or anything he does. That's more than almost every actual editorial cartoonist.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

"That other party has no self-awareness!" shouts the political cartoonist who refuses to talk about his own party.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Everyone!
...except Muslims, who all have to get out.
...Mexicans, too.
...and the crooked media.
...and flag-burners.

But hey, almost everyone!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Thing. Yes. *saves file, reaches for golf bag*

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Cpt.Americant posted:

He's also literally complemented Kim Jong Un many times and called him a great leader. He also said lots of praiseworthy things about Kim Jong Il as well.

This isn't coming out of nowhere, authoritarians tend to like other authoritarians.

In related news, a North Korean ambassador defected to South Korea and says Un's government is going to collapse due to corruption and instability.

The first statement was rated Lie of the Year by Politifact, so... is this a trick question?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

(Mark Foley)

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Lemming posted:

If anyone wanted to know how to make blood flow from your eyes and hear the infinite shrieks of the dead, this sentence did it

Hot Air posted:

MCCONNELL: Well, let me just say, I’m confident we’ll get a Supreme Court nominees confirmed. I expect an outstanding nominee sometime soon. I think it’s noteworthy to look at how the Republican minority handled Bill Clinton the first — in his first administration. Both — both of his first two nominees, Ginsburg and Breyer, no filibuster. Obama, in his first term, to go, no filibuster. We think our nominee ought to be treated the same way. If he is not treated that way, then, under the current Senate rule, we would have to get cloture. That is, we’d have to get 60 votes. We had to do that when the Democrats objecting to Justice Alito 10 years ago, but cloture was invoked. Sorry for the long answer. I think the short answer is, the nominee will be confirmed.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ularg posted:

But the point of blocks is you build something, take it apart, build something else.

If you take it apart, it means you didn't build it right the first time! :sad:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

The first AGC Dry Bones ever?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Angepain posted:

the gently caress is this

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Vib Rib posted:

So we've got a posit that:
1. Until Trump's Executive Order Muslim Ban, there was no vetting, period (or that this is what Democrats wanted).

A misstep, since the current talking point is that Obama shut down Iraqi immigration too, so why blame Trump?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Except Christians are blocked, too.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Regalingualius posted:

Someone find the comic he must've made to justify the Republicans refusing to hold Garland's confirmation hearing and I'll send it side-by-side with this one to him.

Take your pick.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Do they accept credit?

The History of the Democratic Party

Jefferson

FDR

JFK

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 5, 2017

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

NYT posted:

This, however, is what being taken seriously looks like. As Ms. Ryan put it to me, Mr. Trump’s candidacy is “extraordinary and precedent-shattering” and “to pretend otherwise is to be disingenuous with readers.”

It would also be an abdication of political journalism’s most solemn duty: to ferret out what the candidates will be like in the most powerful office in the world.

It may not always seem fair to Mr. Trump or his supporters. But journalism shouldn’t measure itself against any one campaign’s definition of fairness. It is journalism’s job to be true to the readers and viewers, and true to the facts, in a way that will stand up to history’s judgment. To do anything less would be untenable.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nenonen posted:

Kelly seems to be getting mellow - first of all he's agreed to have the grandkid over in the first place, and secondly this has to be the first time that he's depicted Some Gizmo in a positive light

Look out, Granddad! Once your Perry Mason episodes are all in the cloud, you're at the mercy of those little twerps to come over and fix your Netflix for you!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MMA is about punching and kicking. :confused:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pants Donkey posted:

Should I be concerned about the high alkalinity

This is apparently a selling point. People believe it balances out your stomach acid or something.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

FronzelNeekburm posted:

This is apparently a selling point. People believe it balances out your stomach acid or something.
Correction: The guy who does those "Things I Won't Work With" blog posts talked about alkaline water recently, and it's even kookier than I thought.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

mandatory lesbian posted:

if i knew about ramirez's cartoons i'd post one here where he complains about Obama's "executive over-reach"

I think you'll be disappointed. I haven't looked through his whole archive from Obama's terms, but he's pretty consistent on demanding immigration reform, and his cartoons about Obama usually take the form of, "All his accomplishments are bad, and he hates you."

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry, how did the media destroy due process? Is this something about how certain celebrity suspects are "guilty until proven innocent" in the eyes of the media (which does not actually affect court rulings) or what?

August 2014 was the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson. He's complaining that the media are eager to judge the cop guilty before the courts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

We have always been at war with Oceania.

Capfalcon posted:

Is there something I'm missing about the magical moon beams?

He mentions it in his rant, but current Gov. Jerry Brown was known as "Moonbeam" when he was governor before, in the '70s.

quote:

The nickname was coined by Mike Royko, the famed Chicago columnist, who in 1976 said that Mr. Brown appeared to be attracting “the moonbeam vote,” which in Chicago political parlance meant young, idealistic and nontraditional.

• Locked thread