Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My cousin took bowling in college. He's a fat nihilistic piece of poo poo, and I keep wondering why he hasn't offed himself already. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Nice. And here I am about to graduate with a Geography/GIS degree worried about where I’ll wind up. At least I’ve got a paid internship with a large utility company.
I applied for several GIS positions with utility companies and only got one phone interview. Then I got a GIS market analysis internship that turned into a full time job. I'll probably stick with them for at least a year after this deployment is over, but then will probably want to move on because they're stingy with pay.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My college made me send them my CCAF transcript even though all the credits that were worth anything were already transferred into my real associate's degree.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sorry Cole. I can't hear you over the noise of me snacking on this MRE in the library. All the nutrition I need. Reminds me of being outside the wire.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So what happens if your clearance expires when you're still in? My end of it was done but my digital signature was screwed up so I thought it better not to sign it like that. Then it turns out that the guy who handles that stuff for the wing is out on medical or something and no one knows who to call.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EBB posted:

I knew one E-6 who had that happen in my unit, I think it made him non-deployable until he got it fixed.
I just got back from a deployment so that's not a concern.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a dream that I was still in school, and hadn't done any of the work this semester, and there was a week and a half left to try and salvage stuff.

Almost as fun as the dreams I had when I still was in school about a 5th class I hadn't been attending.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wearing a suit to school for no particular reason is worthy of serious ridicule.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hate writing cover letters but doing so is part of the reason I have my job right now. Out of the five candidates three didn't really meet the requirements (Or write cover letters), and the other guy who did didn't give a good answer about self teaching.

I wouldn't pay to fly to an interview out of my own pocket. I got burned a couple of years ago by a company that made me travel to the interview. 5 hour drive. They have kind of a lovely reputation for grabbing recent grads, and paying them poo poo until they have enough experience to go elsewhere. Plus it's a family owned company so there's no room for advancement at all. I was willing to put up with that for a couple months to get my required internship done though. Didn't get the job for whatever reason. If they called me up right now and offered me a job I'd probably tell them to go gently caress themselves, advice against burning bridges be damned.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So she either waited for someone who was in prison for a good while, or got engaged to someone she met who happened to be in prison. I'd say you made the right choice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Getting an F is vastly preferable to an academic misconduct charge.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

:same:

Except I graduate with my Geography (GIS) BA now assuming I (very likely) pass my two finals this week. I feel worse about my prospects trying to find real civilian professional employment for the first time than I have about almost anything else. I also feel like my undergrad program was complete trash about imparting any actual GIS work skills or practical stuff and has like 90% focused on the academic concepts of the field. I'm dreading having to pick up a masters since I'm already so burnt out on school. Throw in a dash of imposter syndrome too.
Getting my GIS job was not fun. We were required to have an internship to graduate. The first summer I tried to get one I started too late in the spring and only got one in person interview. I'm pretty sure that a bunch of my applications got tossed because I'm still in the guard and they didn't want to deal with that. So spring semester of 2017 the only other things I needed was one more class worth of credits, and the internship. I got a year long internship that turned into a fulltime job, and did the class as an independent study. But yeah, the market sucks to break into.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, I did an internship with an electric utility this summer/fall. They have an opening for a similar position to what I was doing so hopefully I'll hear back from that after the holidays.

I would've graduated last spring except for the required internship and one final GIS course that wasn't offered until this fall.
I turned in applications for a few utility companies and didn't get any traction other than a phone interview. I ultimately ended up in a GIS marketing analysis position which really was for the best.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a time conflict with finals my last semester on campus. So I walked in 45 minutes late, and despite clearing it with the professor ahead of time it was still incredibly stressful working away while everyone else gets up and leaves.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Was it a hard final? For one of my finals, I used the whole two hours. For all the others, I was done pretty quickly.
It wasn't that bad, and I still finished within the official time. What did suck was that I either didn't pay attention when he talked about the format, or it wasn't spelled out. I'd just finished a handwritten final 5 minutes before and I walked in expecting some multiple choice questions with a few short essay questions on the computer. Instead it's two long essay questions, handwritten, where you had to spell out how you'd go about doing two different raster analysis scenarios.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My college has a policy where grad students have to pay the grad rate for undergrad classes. This grad student from another school took the same 6 credit class I did summer semester and had to pay something like $7k for it. I had 3 other classes besides that for a total of 17 credits, and thanks to tuition banding paid less than this guy did for one class. Not that I really paid for it anyway.

Also, taking 17 credits during a summer semester is miserable.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The problem with community college is that a whole bunch of your classmates are bound to be unmotivated dickheads treading water until their parents kick them out of the house. Even if you don't have to do group work with them it starts to wear on you.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

Just like every other school.
It was better in real college. Though some of that was probably because I only really had upper division classes so a lot of the idiots had weeded themselves out by that point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hosed up a few times in community college due to undiagnosed Depression, and at least it was less expensive that way.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a speech teacher who was a real blast.

"I will refuse to sign any drop papers, I will not let you drop the class"
-Not true at all. I think we lost 4 people at a minimum. Also think administration might have had something to say about her policy.

"You are not allowed to do unethical speach topics. For instance I'm Catholic, so you can't talk about abortion"
That was the only example given of what an "unethical speech topic" was.

She was a short fat woman who wore loud clothes. Her husband was a doctor in my guard wing so there was incentive there not to fight with her. She also wouldn't shut up about how much she hated Obama.

My mom took the class a year later and got to see what a loony bitch she was.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 28, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

^^ :wtf: so glad I haven't had to take classes in rural Minnesota/Wisconsin. If anything all of my crazy professors were probably actual Marxists, especially the fun/crazy old lady who I took my intro Poli Sci classes from.
Wasn't even a rural school. From what I gathered whoever was teaching before left abruptly and needed to be replaced quickly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Whew. Grade got curved this morning after I e-mailed the professor. Took me from a C- to a C+ for the semester. I'll take it.
What course was this?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

A mixed graduate/undergrad upper level GIS course.
I mean was it remote sensing or stats or what?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

^Outside your major/minor in undergrad it generally is.

DoktorLoken posted:

Mostly stats heavy stuff with spatial analysis.
My advisor taught spatial stats and went way out of her way to make it user friendly. She designed it so it was more or less at your own pace, and would be in the lab all the time to answer questions.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Beat the teacher's loving head in to teach them a lesson.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Schadenfreude is augmented. What a shame.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The ARTs in our squadron are almost all 11s, and a bunch of them only have CCAF.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Getting your foot in the door in the Federal system might be good. I didn't have any luck myself back when I was trying to get an internship. I spent a few hours messing with my USAJobs resume, and another hour filling out application poo poo for a USGS internship. Right towards the end they asked some pointed questions that made it clear what they really wanted was somebody in an environmental sciences master's program. The description hadn't said anything about that. I punched submit anyway since I'd already wasted all that time but knew deep down I wasn't even going to get called on that one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got emails from a couple different scammy sounding honor societies. I figured if they wanted me than they couldn't be that exclusive.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My school did tuition banding. After 12 credits you didn't pay any extra for additional classes. You did need a form or something if you went over 20 I think. But there wasn't any sort of fee to go with it. I did 17 twice. Miserable both times.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What’s the difference? TED talk speakers are just more vetted or actually need credentials and or experience in the topic?

I’m imagining TEDx is a bunch of life coaches and Instagram influencers
TEDx is some weird extension of their brand that started after they started to get popular. Basically any idiot can do one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone got tips for contacting faculty in a program you're interested in. I've already decided that I'm not going to start grad school next year. The deadline for fall of 2020 applications is the start of December, and I don't feel comfortable rushing things.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

lightpole posted:

Are you looking for a masters or PhD? If it's a masters you can try looking for the graduate head for the program. At least at my school those were the ones with the most power, not the individual professors. If you are going for a PhD ask in the grad school thread in A/T but I think their advice is to just go for it, there's no real right way as long as you're courteous. Also check among your faculty for connections?

I managed to do my whole application, studying for the GRE, writing my statement, in about 2 months so you have plenty of time. I'm assuming PhD since those are generally the Dec deadlines and might be a bit more work but still doable.
It's a PhD program. They don't admit for an MA, but will give you one along the way, or if you meet the requirements and want/need to leave the program. Which offers some peace of mind. While I could probably cram a good GRE in the next 5 months I think I'd ultimately feel better just getting it done in a looser time frame, and clearing up some other stuff so I don't have to try and learn it while under a course load. The extra time to advance my position at work can't hurt either.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I skipped high school graduation and CC graduation. Feel like I robbed myself of closure with the high school one, but don't give two shits about CC. That was a large part of why I walked for my bachelor's and will when I do grad school some day.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sometimes geology students are too excited about rocks, or their stories about field camp.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Graduated undergrad 2 years ago at 28. Often feels like I finally got my poo poo together only for the world to go straight to hell.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I can't wait to fight our enemies, the uh *checks notes* the entirety of NATO. Oh.
Puerto Rico.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the marine corps's true enemies are countries that oppose the business interests of Chiquita
Get with the times grandpa.

"YOU WILL PURCHASE HERBALIFE OR WE WILL KILL EVERY FIRST BORN CHILD SEMPER FI!!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't think there was a TPUSA club at my alma mater, at least not a couple of years ago when I graduated. The VP of the College Republicans got himself kicked out for posting european white nationalist poo poo on their Facebook page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

To paraphrase Larry Summers who used to be president of Harvard. "There are two reasons you will see an undergrad wearing a suit. He has a job interview later that day, or he's an rear end in a top hat"