Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This is my second week at a 4-year school after transferring, and I totally forgot that there is this thing called ROTC. Those poor souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I have the pleasure of retaking organic chemistry II since the school I'm at now didn't accept the semester of it I did at community college. Being in a lecture hall of 100+ students where it seems half of the class are all on a pre-med track and watching how they interact with the professor and the TA seem to explain a lot about what I remember of the doctors I worked with at a Naval Hospital and in a few BAS/RAS.

Chemistry is my major and it's loving annoying to have to wait around for everyone else to grub about their grades when I want to know how the poo poo really works.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The catch with being 10% disabled and trying to get voc rehab is that you have to have a serious impairment to getting employed.
Or so they told me when I tried to get it. The overall process made it seem that I wasn't disabled enough yet have acceptable social skills to qualify.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

They also get some kickbacks from the government for hiring veterans.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

cowboy elvis posted:

My classes are typically full of bright-eyed kids and girls who believe clothing is merely a suggestion.

This is the case for nearly the entire campus for me.

I'm knocking out my three mandatory electives this semester and the looks of despair the polisci people make when I say I'm a chemistry major are amazing. It's like watching someone go through flashbacks.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

RobotDogPolice posted:

What aside from my GI Bill should I be using as a vet? I'm going to community college right now, with the intention transferring to a university. I'm interested in Biology, but I haven't pinned it down to a specific interest yet, although I'm leaning toward genetics/botany. Are there any scholarships I should look into that are for veterans specifically?

Check and see if your CC has science scholarships for veterans. The CC I was at had one that had 20 $1k awards but only four or five people actually applied per year.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This is why I avoid the vet lounge. It is not worth the risk of listening to that.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This semester I'm starting to work in a biochem research lab for credit. I get to wash glassware for a few weeks to start, which isn't that big of a deal since the Navy made me do a lot of mundane poo poo like this.

Now I get to try and explain to the foreign grad students why the Navy made us do mundane stuff a lot.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

SquirrelyPSU posted:

After I got off the ship in WA, I got back up to speed with math by taking Multi-variable Calc, Diff Eqs, and Physics 2 at the local CC. Professors were actually engaged in the material rather than it just being some bs they had to teach while they were doing research. A+++ decision would do again.

Just needed the syllabi from the classes and all 3 transferred back to PSU no questions asked.

I did the same thing. It was great having only 30-60 people in my chemistry, physics, and math classes at CC instead of doing whatever horror occurs in something like this:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

One more week to spring break for me. But I'll still end up on campus every day since the prof who runs the biochem lab I'm helping out in for credit treats us undergrads like grad students. :whip:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

So what did you all with 10% do to get your voc rehab? The second after I stated I'm working towards a chemistry degree the counselor I saw more or less said "You're not dumb enough to qualify for voc rehab, get out unless you can get up to 20%."

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 17, 2018

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This was my first semester solely focusing on my major and minor. Pulled a 2.93 after doing three chem classes, 1 math class, and 10hr/wk research lab. Not too thrilled with myself.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The CC I was at gave me 0 credits and I had to fight not taking a 'health' class over a year since Navy boot camp isn't as intensive as Marine boot camp, even though I deployed with Marine infantry as a Corpsman.

Transferred to a four year and they magically take 11 credits that only count to my financial aid cap.

What I'm saying is the military will always find a way to gently caress you no matter how far you think you're done with it.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Don't hate on differential equations.

Linear algebra, on the other hand...

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

EBB posted:

Man if you think regular linear algebra is harder than DiffEq what is wrong with you. Abstract Linear Algebra...now there was a course I never want to see again.

I did abstract algebra last semester and oh boy was that not fun. I'm going to finish off my math minor with a class called "Discrete Dynamical Systems and Chaos" this fall so I hope it won't be a total struggle. Sounds interesting though.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I did calc II twice. The first time I didn't do the """optional""" homework since it wasn't part of my grade and got thoroughly slapped with a D. Second time I did every problem two or three times and got an A.

So do the problems as others have said.

Someone showed me a first exam for the inorganic chemistry class I'm taking this fall and it's gonna be a bumpy four months.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Great thing about priority registration: don't have to worry about the waitlist.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

That starts August 2019. :argh:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lol oops, statistical mechanics is hard. Luckily my physical chemistry prof drops the lowest score of our six exams!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Get an internship.

Today the chain rule for multi-variable calculus finally clicked for me. That's great progress for me. Still need to hit up office hours more and take advantage of the learning center they have available. My school has a learning center with free tutors for all the classes that have 200+ enrollees, which is really nice.

Yay calculus :hfive:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It is amazing how across the board of subjects and departments a lot of professors are unorganized.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

That's what I do. All my books are cheap used ones so I have an extra couple hundred dollars for "educational expenses."

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Excellent. I got an immunizations hold for my last semester, my fourth one here, when I submitted proof during my first one on campus.

I now understand how Marines felt when we lost their medical records at the BAS. :v:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Thank my vet status for early registration. Only 20 seats for the advanced physical chem lab I need to graduate. :smug:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Neato the school is letting me take the grad-level mass spec class for my last major elective for my last semester. Very exciting.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

My school only gives us Wednesday-Friday off next week. loving sucks.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

rifles posted:

I'm taking Swahili at OSU because that's the only language course they had open for the Spring semester.

Because not letting transfer students that go and meet with an advisor and have their poo poo together a month before the first registration dates open do their registration until orientation day makes sense. Right.

That happened to me when I transferred to SDSU. I had to retake Ochem 2 because I got a B at CC and "It's upper division here." Luckily someone dropped the class and I got in to retake a class I passed. Otherwise I'd be staying another year since nearly all of the upper division chem

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Is that quarter units?

Lol that's a whole four year degree to do if it's semester units.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 28, 2018

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

My worst final is going to be pchem 2. The semester final is over two days and then we have the ACS pchem exam which covers both semesters. :suicide:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

No even as a regular student they're loving bad.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

What makes it worse is they're always adding more layers to the admin stuff. Right now I have a general college advisor just gen ed classes, a major advisor for chemistry, and a minor advisor for math. They're now trying to add another advisor at the College of Science level to act as an "intermediate" for some blackbox reason they don't explain.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Had my inorganic chem final today and thoroughly enjoyed watching three premed students get caught passing papers among each other and using their phones. 0 on the final that's 50% of the grade. So many tears.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Is inorganic different from regular chemistry?

Inorganic goes into depth on a lot of gen chem stuff like molecular orbital theory and types of bonds (sigma-sigma, pi-sigma, etc), but focuses on the behavior of transition metal complexes, bonding with d orbitals, reactions of metals, etc.

Like in gen chem you learn you can have up to a triple bond between atoms, but some complexes like chromium(II) acetate have a stable quadruple bond or even a quintuple bond like potassium octachlorodimolybdate.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

:shrug: better than medicine which I came from

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

And with the submission of a math technical paper, my second-to-last semester ends. :toot:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The few issues I've had like that have been on the medical side of the VA with the retired gunnies/chiefs treating everyone like we're all still in the hellworld of rank.

Re: CC chat

A 25 person Ochem 2 class was much better than the 200 person Ochem 2 class I was forced to retake. It was easier to ask for help or shoot the poo poo with the prof than dealing with all the premed people grubbing for their A at office hours than caring about the science.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

In the bichem lab I work in for credit, the lab tech left on the 4th and the only postdoc leaves on Feb 1st. Gonna be a fun time for the three units I'm looking to get this semester.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It turns out the other two undergrads in my lab didn't actually do as much work on their research projects last semester as they said so I get to write two abstracts for two posters for a student research fair since the two projects I'm working on tie into the work of the others.

Of course they're due on Monday. Yay first day of classes.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lol rip me. I get to train four undergrads who are brand new to lab research and their schedules don't line up so I can teach them all at once. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Turns out I'm going to be first author on this paper I've been writing since mid-January about the research I did last semester. I thought it was going to be part of my senior project grade at the end of this semester. It's pretty cool that it's turning out this way but it also means what I have so far is utter poo poo. :v: