Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

wasting the government's money is fully loving sick.

on the other hand, i got a history degree on the government's dime. who am i to judge?

I'm gonna double down and get a law degree with Uncle Sam footing the bill because the American taxpayer loving owes it to me!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

I just wrote a small letter to my teacher in the middle of our midterm that 2 Saudi dudes next to me where blatantly cheating. Phone was on and out, texting photos of the questions to someone and writing responses.

Finished and handed her my paper and made sure she saw it.

She's cool as gently caress and these dudes come in an hour late to class (it's 2 1/2 hours) listening to headphones and having text notifications go off like crazy.

Dude. I don't care if you cheat, but show some goddamn respect.

Lol you're a huge bitch and a tool

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Telling the teacher who is too nice to do anything is tantamount to do nothing but soothing your own wounded sense of being disrespected . It's creating work for that lady who obviously doesn't give a poo poo if they were being so blatant. I'm sure she's looking forward to explaining the situation to two rich entitled jackoffs who will almost certainly face no reprocussions for their actions

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Just stop dude, you sound like a white knighting idiot. The guys in the story are clearly, brazenly cheating. gently caress them. Period.

I've never white knighed anyone because I hate women!!!

Cheating is bad and wrong, telling on cheaters and then posting about it is pathetic. Thinking that denying some purportedly self entitled Saudi a degree is going to do anything to improve academia is beyond delusional.

Lol at this discussion going 70 posts strong though. With the new academic year coming up maybe we can start an academic fraud bounty program with prizes for the most degrees revoked!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Hmmmm

Now, tell us your thoughts about plagiarism

It's good enough for the final papers and academic credentials of top political appointees in TYOOL 2017. Perhaps if we keep taking current students to task for their cheating a sort of "trickle up" academic honesty will take hold at the highest levels of American society!!!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Good point, the GOP sense of right and wrong is something everyone should aspire too. I agree.

I can feel my respect for veterans as model students slipping away

Sounds like it couldn't have been that entrenched in the first place. Hopefully Student-veterans will be able to Sally forth even in the absence of your slipping respect

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 26, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sir Lucius posted:

There's only one way to stop this cheating debate:

If you're not getting a STEM degree you're wasting your time, and will never get a job after school.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I thought they changed that policy towards a pro-rated utilization for half time students? That's what my veterans affairs office told me

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Well in stupid student news, I quit my job today and have a month and a half until Law school starts up. Gonna hit a lengthy camping trip on my way out west and maybe ask for my gf to marry me. I figure listless and unemployed is as good a way to kick things off as any

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Casimir Radon posted:

Knock her up to seal the deal.

That's some top shelf stupidity but sadly her birth control has taken all of the spontenaity out of impregnation :sever: :sever:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was just told over the phone by the VA that my voc rehab hasn't actually used up my GI bill and I have 32 months of benefits still.

time to sign up for some pottery classes at the local community college

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The only two people I know who double majored couldnt find work in their chosen fields of study.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

What fields of study?

Sociology/political science and nutrition/kinestesiology or some poo poo.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hey, how's your government doing? On a scale of one to 'spray your eyes with mace', where would you say the American Empire is at the moment?

Tell that stupid gently caress that cheapening the cost of college is actually the point and that without federal blood money you wouldn't be here. What an obtuse stain.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

So I REALLY want to take some more electives because my transfer credits are all mine. What are some scholarships I can look at to be able to cover those costs?

Like in addition to being full time? Does the cost at your school.scale up after full time? They would just let us stack extra credits on as long as we had a full course load that was intended for our degree progression when I was at Tulane / CU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

No but they refuse to pay for anything that isn't in my degree plan. I already got the "no recreational classes!" Spiel too.

I'm not sure what your family income status is currently but Pell Grants are your best bet. I'm not sure how Need Based scholarships tabulate attending on Voc Rehab but I imagine it's not great.

There are a whole bunch of merit based scholarships you could apply for, and your financial aid office should have a whole list that you could ask them for. Many allow you to apply with a general application + the occasional extra essay. Your financial aid office should have all that info and the application window is usually around the end of the calendar year.

You could also look into just sitting in on a class? If you don't need the credit you might just try approaching a professor or two with classes that you are interested in and explaining your situation. Interest in a subject is more than most of their students are gonna demonstrate typically.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 27, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

are pell grants generally available for grad school like they are for undergrad? because if i can get pells similar to what i'm getting now, then i don't really need to worry about trying to get voc rehab or anything else to help pay for my masters.

No but you can apply to have your Voc Rehab time extended iirc . Since becoming a CPA is a fairly well understood academic track I wouldn't be surprised if they were willing to work with you on the Masters which most CPAs need, right?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

You need 150 education hours with a certain number of accounting credits. A bachelors is 132 and comes up a few classes short of the accounting requirement to sit for the CPA. So while there are ways around getting a masters, it's the most common and expected route to get the reqs.

If you're already rated at 20% the process for getting Voc Rehab is pretty simple and they'll pay for those credits / prep courses / whatever as long as they agree to becoming a CPA as a viable career path.

And how the gently caress couldn't they?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

brand engager posted:

Does the number of credit hours I'm taking affect how fast benefit time is burned for Ch33? I tried asking my school's va rep, but they didnt understand what I was getting at. I've got one semester of time left and I need to stretch that over two semesters somehow.

There is a process to get an extension that you might consider running by your counselor

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

brand engager posted:

Hows that work?

I have no idea, but it was something my counselor mentioned when she saw I might not have enough benefits left to last for all of law school

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Howard Phillips posted:

Okay I will get in touch with the university clinic when I get down there on the 12th. Deadline is 31st, so I should be good.

At my school the punishment for not having proper vaccination documentation was being barred from on campus musters in the case of.sn.emergemcy.

Might be worth your time to see what the consequences would.be where you're going. If it's steep you can also request a copy of your military medical.records through the VA but I wouldn't hold my breath on getting those before next year

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

i take summers off from school, but i spent a lot of this summer willingly studying for the fall semester.

show me a single point where i was motivated to study in advance for anything army related, and i'll go enlist again right now.

Lol you're pre studying for accounting poo poo Poindexter

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Took approx a month from signing up on ebenfits to sitting in my first meeting

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Trade school is hard guys.

Quit trying to get us to do your homework for you

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Mmm free law school books and supplies anghhhhhhhhhh

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Creepy student facial hair salon

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
VA is great as long as you do your part and your schools certifying official isn't retarded imo

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

When I was in college we had this thing called file-sharing, and it was free and everyone did it. Can't believe colleges are making kids pay for music now.

Instead of subverting the Man silicon valley spied much more appealing ground subverting counter-culture

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Probably got played like someone on a used car lot but I feel like the job fair I went to tonight went REALLY well. Got an interview with an accounting firm in DC tomorrow.
Sweet, congrats

lightpole posted:

Finally actually showed up on campus for orientation and am absolutely shocked. Grad school looks like it will be fun instead of the penal (penile) punishment undergrad was.

Yeah Grad school is pretty full of QTs

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Shut the gently caress up before you ruin it you Puritan dweebs. You have to RESPECT their persons and stop SEXUALIZING their asses

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

M_Gargantua posted:

After the amazing times I had in Hawaii, Guam, and San Diego I realized coming back north east means I (still) have no real idea how to talk to the population of basic white girls everywhere. Seems I need to do a masters program on the west coast to fix that. I'm regressing into autism and being the single dude with nothing but couples for friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9x8MenjAmc

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Howard Phillips posted:

Did you bone her?

Also what are some of the best ways to milk the Post 9/11 GI Bill for all it's got? I'm gonna have about 20 months of benefits left when I finish my grad program.

Get on voc rehab

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I think it depends on how the school qualifies it's health insurance program.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong but doctorates typically do research and like stuff? And teach?

Is getting 2 masters instead of a doctorate looked down upon? I am hatching a plan and am thinking of getting my masters in mass communications and then going to a different college and pursuing a masters in interpersonal communications or something. Is it kind of like "why didn't you go further?"

You keep it going man
You keep those books rolling
You pick up all those books that you're gonna read and not remember
And you roll, man
You get that associate's degree, okay?
Then you get your bachelor's
Then you get your masters
Then you get your masters' masters
Then you get your doctorate
You go man!
And then when everyone says quit
You show them those degrees, man
When everyone says "Hey, you're not working, you're not making any money"
You say "You look at my degrees, and you look at my life
Yeah, I'm 52! So what?
Hate all you want, but I'm smart, I'm so smart
And I'm in school
All these guys out here making money all these ways
And I'm spending mine to be smart!
You know why?
Cause when I die buddy
You know what's gonna keep me warm?
That's right, those degrees."

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

Whatever man, it was a loving question.

lol it's a kanye west skit cool your jets

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

RobotDogPolice posted:

What aside from my GI Bill should I be using as a vet? I'm going to community college right now, with the intention transferring to a university. I'm interested in Biology, but I haven't pinned it down to a specific interest yet, although I'm leaning toward genetics/botany. Are there any scholarships I should look into that are for veterans specifically?

Pell Grant first off. Fill out a FAFSA and get a couple Grand a year for incidentals and the like

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Very true. At 20% va disability you are entitled to chap 31 benefits and just need to apply to get an extra 12 months and potential extension to get the education of your choice that leads to eventual employment

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

DoktorLoken posted:

Along those lines, how does Voc Rehab work in regards to the 48 month total benefit cap? I've got 15 months or so of Post 9/11 remaining which is more than enough to finish undergrad, but when that's exhausted I'll be at the 48 month total as I used the reserve GI Bill for a few years prior to Post 9/11 eligibility.

Say I get approved to do a Masters with Voc Rehab, will I be allowed to finish that regardless of the benefit cap or am I on my own after the first year (my remaining Post 9/11 should get me through at least the first year of grad school) of a graduate program?

Some people have reported that their reps claim they still can use those benefits, but my rep explained that the 48 month thing is a hard cap with a possibility of an extension. So as it was explained to me you can't use the entirety of your benefits in series past 48 months without a specific approval

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

There is one (otherwise great) professor in my department who assigns a creative group project with a presentation for the midterm grade of every class he teaches. He lets you rope in people from outside the class provided it's clear you did most of the work. It didn't occur to me until this semester that I could just do the whole thing myself and invent a co-author. It worked.

That's quite the tableau of anti-social behavior you're drawing for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Cole you should.contact the Dept head asap and ask for guidance