Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Post here about looking at butts in yoga pants and wearing camo backpacks.

It's the new year and I still don't have any grades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
We need a Horse Girls emote

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

Also my semester cost 45k :smug:

One semester? :stare:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

University of San Diego

Dude I used to live in San Diego and looked at USD for a hot minute before heading east to go to school. Unless you're factoring in the cost of rent, food, and blow into your monthly tuition bill, you're reading it wrong. USD is not 90k per year.

http://www.sandiego.edu/finance/student-financial-services/student-accounts/cost/undergraduate.php

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
This semester I'm signed up for a class on Graphic Novels. The professor is the former president of DC comics. College is loving great.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
HCT come to NYC. You can crash at my place and partake in all the protesting and rioting your heart desires.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
School related: back in November I applied for a pretty cool public policy fellowship (https://www.ppiaprogram.org/ppia/what-we-do/junior-summer-institutes/junior-summer-institutes/), which has the dual benefits of giving you money AND helping in graduate program applications. Well, earlier this month I found out that I was an alternate select to the fellowship at Carnegie Mellon. This was better than I expected, and waited for the day where they would inform us if any primaries had declined the fellowship so one of us alternate would be called up.

Well, that day was today, and I found out that all primaries had accepted their fellowships, so no dice for us poor alternate selects. Too bad!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Speaking of which: does anyone know the formula for figuring out what your GPA will be at the end of the semester if you have X credits and get X grade?
Like, I'm finishing up my last semester, have 121 credits and currently taking 4 credits (3 credit class and 1 credit class), sitting at 3.66 and wondering what I'll have if I get an A, A-, etc

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Guys, school is pretty cool. Except when it's not.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

I'm graduating in a month :stare:

:same:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The fact that you got your voc rehab counselor to agree to it is a minor miracle in itself. gently caress it, go forth and do law school.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Registered for a GRE prep course. I'm going to look for actual test locations and times that fall around the end of the course. There's at least one person at my current worksite that attended one of the schools I'm aiming for, so I'm gonna ask her for input on writing a statement of purpose.

The thought of going to grad school would've been unthinkable just a few years ago. drat.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
gently caress you if you're still in school

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
let's talk about tipping next

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It does after you graduate. Then you're like, "gently caress. They PAID me to go to college!" And then you feel sad.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Howard Phillips posted:

One of my former sailors is applying to colleges for undergrad. Problem is he is seriously underselling himself. He did really well on his SATs but is only applying to mid tier schools. After some pushing he's finally acceded to apply to one Ivy league. But he wants my advice on which one to apply to. Honestly I have no idea and that it's up to him. So I'm referring to you guys, which of the Ivies is most veteran friendly?

All the Ivies are "veteran friendly" in that they won't poo poo in your mouth for being an amoral war criminal. You're another student, albeit with some unique life experiences. As long as you don't bring up "Well, when I was in Iraq..." during calculus class, you'll be fine. What it comes down to is the health of the community and how much aid the school is willing to give.

Columbia has the largest number of undergrad vets, but their financial aid is not good. It's also pretty easy to get in as a vet. Dartmouth is probably second. Smaller vet community, better FA. Yale has like 10 vets, but according to a friend of mine who just graduated they aren't very well-represented. Good FA though. Harvard is Harvard. Tell your friend to stop being a pussy and apply to all of them.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think that it's important to have a realistic idea of what a school in the Ivy League is and isn't. Each of the eight schools in the league have a certain amount of cultural cachet and name recognition - some more than others. But you can get the exact same, or even better, name recognition from a Duke or UT or whatever. Each school does have a lot of money, so funding is never really a problem. As far as academics are concerned, at the undergrad level"good" or "very good" are the baseline for each program at the school. However, that isn't to say that every IL school excels at every subject, just that you can't really go wrong studying any subject. But if you really, really want to study mechanical engineering then you won't be best served by a Yale versus a Stanford or MIT. However, if you just kind of want to do mech e while also moonlighting in the drama department, then Yale might be a better fit.

Your buddy should also understand that academics at any of these schools are also nut-stompingly hard. Think about it: while you're doing your 300 pages of reading for the week, all the while feeling like a complete idiot fraud, you're competing for grades against the kids who have been raised in laboratories to be genius scholars while also being captain of every team they've been on (and some they haven't been on), who are also musical prodigies and artists. These people also think that they're idiot frauds, and will chew adderall like they're candy from a Pez dispenser just to prove to Dad that they're not complete fuckups. Your friend will have to out-work them in order to get his 'A'.

But most important of all, if your friend is intellectually curious, the IL schools do a very good job at putting resources towards students pursuing their passions. Love foreign languages? There are grants for that (I got a few). Are you unhealthily obsessed with international politics? They have internships at the UN just for you. Do you just loving love anime? There are multiple courses for that.

One little side note: if your buddy can get into Harvard, tell him to go there. It literally doesn't matter what you study; the name alone will get him far.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hey there tryhard student vets: Princeton has just opened up applications for transfer students for the first time in like a million years
https://admission.princeton.edu/how-apply/transfer-students

One of you fuckers apply. loving do it. Now.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

mods change my name posted:

i'm going to do it

you fuckin better m8

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I finished undergrad with a 3.6

That's not relevant to anything I just wanted to gloat a lil

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Graduated back in may so I already went to graduation

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Controversial opinion: don’t go to Columbia. It has too many vets already.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Attended: University of Hard Knocks

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

Can you use both Voc Rehab and the GI Bill simultaneously? Next year, I’ll need like 4 credits to graduate so I’ll only be half time. I can’t survive on that.

I had this exact situation happen in my last semester. What you can do is ask to switch back to chapter 33 and get certified for that last semester to claim full BAH.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

Passed the bar. Guess I’m gonna do some florida lawyering after all.

You should serve as Michael Cohen's attorney

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hillary Chris’ Thong

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Viva Miriya posted:

That's a pretty strong showing for the Columbia admissions folks right? I think this poo poo might work out.
Yeah, you’re good. Write a good essay and you should be a lock.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Viva Miriya posted:

IM IN MOTHERFUCKERS

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EASY MONEY

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Viva Miriya posted:

Deathy McDeath, the Columbia MilVets let me know that GS has a program with SIPA. tl;dr its a Bachelors/Masters program that gets you that poo poo in 5 years. I have 2 years done already transferring in so I'm hoping to walk out with a Master's in International Affairs at minimum in 3 years. I'm sure there are other variations of the Master's degree from that school but definitely something related to International Relations and poo poo. What the gently caress do I do with such a thing besides throw my resume at government agencies and poo poo?

Seriously, now that this is real, I have to stop talking about "yeah totes gonna get a Master's degree nbd nbd" and actually quantify what the gently caress that does for me. So where should I start looking to find some answers? Besides some triple letter agencies career page obv.

Can't really help you because the only guys I know who did this went to government agencies. That said, SIPA is less on the "theoretical" side of international affairs and more on the "practicioner" side.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Undergrad rules because you can study whatever you loving want and just sperg out about whatever dumbshit topic you want. And you get money to do it!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

a cool fox posted:

Just got accepted, starting in Spring 2019, NYC for environmental studies.

How do I not be a walking representation of every negative military stereotype during my first week?

Related: http://columbiafederalist.com/home/2018/10/11/gs-student-in-seminar-must-have-killed-a-man-to-be-this-confident

Don't associate with the MilVets group. They're a walking dramabomb

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

a cool fox posted:

Now we’re talkin’ (and thank you, my #1 priority since leaving MI has been to avoid dramabombs)

If you’re a CU alumni or student, wanna PM me or post the lowdown here? I’m thrilled obv. but I’m also a dummy who’s served since 17

How about you PM ME you fuckin weirdo???

Edit: I graduated in 2016 so my info will be a tiny bit dated

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Viva Miriya posted:

Columbia MilVets had someone on their board meltdown or quit cause of drama. v0v

It's an annual event at this point

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Final for statistical programming in R went well I think, I actually could do stuff. That should only drop me down to a 3.5 since my SQL did not go as well and I'll likely end up with B, B+, and 2 As.

One more final and then I spend the break running ANOVAs on trace circuit resistances printed on different cloth and coming up with regression curves. Apparently combining two bad things like R and statistics does not make them better, in case anyone was wondering.

I took a graduate course in political statistics that included a ton of R, and it practically killed me. I didn’t finish the last two papers (you had to design and report on studies based on survey datasets) until after New Years. And yes, this was a fall course.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
gently caress Columbia, go to The New School

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
What are you? A cop?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Aardvark posted:

Math is cool and good.

Ban this filth

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Man, I just graduated less than two years ago and I want to go back to school :smith:

poo poo ruled.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

GD_American posted:

Grad school homie

That's the idea. I'm not sure sure what kind of program to pursue, though. I could continue in my undergrad field (Middle East Studies) but that's kind of lame. I was also looking at some kind of professional degree (MPA/MBA) but I'm not sure what the value return on those are if I don't go into a top program. Like, I did well in undergrad and I could probably get fairly good GRE scores, but probably marginal for the Harvards and Stanfords of the world.

As fun as it would be, a PhD program is out of the question. I'm too old to spend another 6+ years in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hello my friend have you heard of this amazing institution called Trump University?