Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My wife actually made it through a T14 and into BigLaw. She still wants to change careers. It is miserable work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

Cool: I get to be lab manager for the summer.

Not cool: Having to train four summer interns on things I don't really do in the lab

Gonna be a great summer.

LC/MS?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My kind of LC/MS involves liquefied Dalton Mice.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm not even done with my program yet but the things I have learned are getting me noticed in a good way, so worth it. The wall exists though. I feel like I've been writing the same paper every weekend for 18 months and it's starting to grind on me.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

if you sacrifice an annoying phd to satan can you get course credit in exchange

asking for a friend

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Interns should be seen and not heard and DEFINITELY not touching my expensive poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

PI wants intern do do it this way. At least its her grant money.

Don't get me started on PIs, I will start yelling.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Call me crazy, but I think the CDC would have said something.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The most excited teachers and students I've met have all been geology related fields.

The geology episode of From the Earth to the Moon is the most excited I've ever seen people about rocks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

The dipshit undergrad intern I was placed in charge of actually got some decent protein crystals! Amazing!

We now harvest them tomorrow for SLAC time. As the PI says said intern has to harvest their own stuff; I loving pray dipshit pays attention and does not break these crystals.

SLAC like...the accelerator lab? Huh?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

Yeah the one at Stanford. Our in-house x-ray crystallography instrument doesn't get us the resolution we need (<2.8 Angstrom) so we ship a bunch of frozen crystals to Stanford for remote data collection.

Hah, I drive past that all the time.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Doubtful, article says VA still has an appeal and will likely change the rules

wall money has to come from somewhere

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol what are they gonna do give you an F for not seeing the DI's face in your shoes come on

suits are uniforms for capitalists

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

okay mr business prof your twenty years here at the business school sure has given you a lot of practical real-world business experience, im gonna put on my suit and pound pavement

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

loving grumpy old rear end

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Find a judge who will let you wear a canadian tuxedo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GD_American posted:

So we just got assigned the CEO of a 2,000+ location chicken joint as an advisor for our team in the Entrepeneurship class :staredog:

Ask him what it feels like to be a lizard person

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

man is grad school just that rough or what? Every time someone mentions grad school it’s met with some arduous tone

It's more that grad school on top of work is like having a second job you do on the weekends. I shouldn't complain, I don't have kids to deal with in addition.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Student loan question: I'm expecting to graduate in May unless something super bad happens. Should I still file the upcoming FAFSA just in case something super bad happens?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Filed the FAFSA just in case. Now waiting to see how 2020 will gently caress me.

E: Just to explain a bit better, Stafford loans are the cheapest way of me not having to front cash for my tuition at the start of the semester. My firm doesn't reimburse me until they see grades. So each semester it's Take Loan->Pay School->Take Class->Submit Grades->Get Reimbursed->Pay Loan->Repeat. I pay off the interest every month between principal payoffs.

EBB fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 18, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

10k a year, first 5200 is untaxed, golden handcuffs for a year after the last dollar is paid out. It's a good deal.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

loudly ask his opinion about war criminal eddie gallagher

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

There is a turbo load of work this final semester but I'm taking little bites every day. The teachers set up the writing classes such that you can't cram your manuscript at the last moment, we have to do peer drafting. Just starting to go a little nuts because I on'y have to write a little every day, but I have to write every day. Ten more weeks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

like eightish weeks of grad school left and i want to throttle the profs some days but we're almost there

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GD_American posted:

I view online degrees from any school, no matter the prestige of the name, as equivalent to a U of Phoenix degree. Maybe public perception has shifted, I don’t know. Just my opinion.

The degree I'm getting at the end of this term still has the main university's name on it. It was not economical for me to leave the job market to pursue education which would keep me from becoming irrelevant. Call it a U of Phx degree if you want, my industry sees it as legit and I did legit work for it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MBAs are very useful for quickly identifying useless people.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah I'm having some motivation problems. My MS exam is this week and I need to wrap up the major papers for the semester now that the research is done.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GD_American posted:

DONE DONE DONE gently caress school if I talk about going back for my Phudd fly to Mobile Alabama and shoot me in the loving brain stem

same

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So that's garg, hags, spirit otter, nick, and me done this semester. Time for somebody else to take the plunge.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

tim cook gave kind of a nothing speech and quoted lincoln in front of a bunch of relevant props in his office for graduation today, he made sure to wear his fancy watch and stroke off the ghost of steve jobs a bit

president drake followed and read a two line poem and gave some original thoughtful words, killing, skinning, and eating the bullshit from tim by actually moving me to emotion

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Lot of people in gip have gotten through it and you will too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

only all the gallant people of afghanistan