Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

She's what 4 or 5? What "great many things" could she have possibly learned in a year?

e: I guess she learned to paint, so I maybe Renee can re-enter the picture?

She skipped a year or something, as I recall. She's been dumbed down to her correct level!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

how do you perforate only the middle section of a thrice-folded letter while other sections and the envelope are intact

I think the answer would be, inevitably, 'Unicorn!'.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I got out like two weeks ago and on the very same day I got the offer from the corporate section, my immediate boss quit via text, so the tiny department was down at that point like 2/5 of its labor and the entirety of its management staff. Never before have I identified with :yikes: so strongly.

Yeah, scheduling fuckery is one of the most irritating parts of retail jobs. And my stories are relatively minor:

- When I worked retail in high school, I had to keep telling my boss that, no, I couldn't work shifts in the morning on weekdays. Why? Because I was in freaking high school! I wasn't going to skip class for that poo poo job.

- When the summer of my senior year ended, I tried to be nice and gave my boss four weeks notice. He turned around and said 'No, that's not enough time to find a replacement. I need you to work for at least another six weeks.' Considering that would overlap with my first week of college, I politely told him to gently caress off.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Why is the cop writing Funky a ticket sitting in the car with him?

I think that's supposed to be his driving test observer, but the uniform is very cop-like. Are there states that actually have cops do that?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The numbers are right there on the aisles, Dustin's Dad. Look, your artist has put in a bunch of them! (Although if 19 is right next to 24, perhaps this store has bigger problems than I thought.)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

How do Americans pronounce "been"?

Mostly 'bin', but sometimes 'bean', depending on accent.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alt-right grave-robbers was not where I expected this Dick Tracy convention storyline to go.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

...and the pitch! posted:

What the gently caress is happening in Rex Morgan MD? I don't normally read it.

Seems like they're doing a play with a copyright-free version of "Lil' Abner". I'd recognize those almost-unreadable accents anywhere!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I like the conceit that he's being drained of his powers by a centrifuge while somehow not also being crushed.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My interpretation is that the author is a miserable gently caress with no joy in his life, and doesn't realize that 'everyone acts lovely to each other and no one has fun' is not the norm.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

She's from France originally? I thought it was like Minnesota or California or something.

That's the joke. Because she's white, everyone assumes she's an American.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Always post Holbrook, he is the concept of newspaper comics given human form

My theory is that his comics are so drat weird as a result of them running for decades with real-time-aging characters. No resets to the status quo, so it just keeps drifting to stranger and stranger places.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I, for one, and reading and enjoying Flash Gordon.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

These ostensibly 50-year old adults named their cafe "Kafe Kablooie" without a hint of irony

And it's named after the fact that the owner's previous food establishment blew up in a (probable) insurance scam.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

"Arrested for Aggravated Mopery". Other than a reference to Revenge of the Nerds, that's apparently generic police slang for arresting someone when you don't have a good reason. Fits well with Snails' methods.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dr. Doom wears green. This must be his alternate-dimension counterpart, Mr. Fortune!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Also, let's all take a moment to appreciate that his 'cloak' has outward-facing pockets, like a hooded bathrobe.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 10, 2017

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The Bloop posted:

What the gently caress even is this thing? I missed/ignored the beginning and now reading random ones it just seems like someone's fevered dream conflating Keifer Sutherland in 24 and Phone Booth

Guy wakes up trapped in a phone booth with amnesia. Doesn't realize he has amnesia, because the last thing he remembers was also coincidentally in a phone booth, several years earlier.

Figures out a concrete alcove collapsed over a whole bank of payphones. Spends hours trying to survive until rescue comes, by chipping a hole in the concrete to get the neighboring empty booth which still contains fresh air.

Eventually logics out a way to contact the outside, finds out that in his missing years he lost his wife and became a rebel/terrorist to avenge her. The embassy bombs that collapsed the alcove are his doing. Decides to try to redeem himself by closing his air hole to leave that air for the innocent bystander in the booth two over.

The end, no moral!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

So...why does Squarebeard want revenge on Cooper for, exactly?

I have not read all the retail strips, but... Cooper, being the Office's Jim of the strip, had set up a "lounge" on the roof of the mall, basically some patio furniture and some snacks, so he'd have a place to relax during his lunch/breaks. As a lowly employee, he could get away with this, but it was presumed that if management ever found out, he'd get in trouble for it. At some point, Squarebeard also worked there, and they had a rivalry, and the Lounge was involved in some way with Squarebeard getting fired.

In the intervening years, Cooper has gotten promoted, and now has more responsibilities, but it also means he had to shut down his Lounge, since it looks a lot worse for management to have a slack-off spot than it does some inventory guy.

I think Squarebeard is implying that cooking the store's inventory to make Cooper look good (so he never got fired) is Squarebeard's revenge. Cooper is stuck in a lovely no-nowhere job, and if he'd been fired, he might have actually done something with his life. And after he got promoted, he couldn't even Jim the situation and have fun under his bosses' noses, because now he has to be respectable. Hypothetically, Cooper could 'win' by just quitting and improving his lot in life, but the odds of that happening are pretty low.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Y'all are majorly underselling the weirdness inherent in the strip if 'bat/hedgehog hybrid' is the strangest thing you talk about.

- The hedgehog is the lost heir to the human-Earth British royal family.
- The setting is actually the result of a scifi dystopia time-travel plot.
- Multiple characters have their own social media accounts with their own completely insane stories being played out outside the comic.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The Tinkersons comic reads like it's written by a person who has had the concepts of emotions and jokes explained to them, but has never actually experienced them himself.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Selachian posted:

"My lover has been murdered and the killer coughed up a strange name when I assaulted him! Okay, I'm not staying around."

"I'm wrecked on a mysterious abandoned island with bizarre giant centipedes! I'm gonna leave."

It's like playing in a RPG with someone who steadfastly refuses to bite on any adventure hooks you throw their way.

So what you're saying is he's always on the Edge of having an Adventure, but never does?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Wait, this huge space trip they've been planning forever is supposed to be a secret?

If I'm remembering correctly, they're assembling the ship on the dark side of the moon for just that reason.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ukonvasara posted:

In the storm of fever-dream nonsense that is every Holbrook strip, it's always nice to have a particularly insane forgotten thing come back to the fore to baffle me anew--in this case, "why on earth does Holbrook think 'is always on a trapeze' is a character trait (1) at all (2) that makes any sense whatsoever?"

So the weird backstory here is that this comic has been going for a couple decades and the characters age in real time, so when it started, they were in preschool and 'kid who was constantly on the swing set' was a semi-reasonable character trait.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is basically the plot of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Not that I'm complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Did... this just end?

• Locked thread