Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yay new thread! I get to explain my comics!

The Dinette Set is a damning look at the trashiest of white trash. Julie Larson has a deep hatred for dully ignorant suburbanites, and she's not afraid to let it show. The strip ended a while ago, and is currently in reruns.

Working Daze is (in theory) a workplace comedy strip. What it actually is is a terrible strip about a bunch of lazy one-note characters, insufferable nerds, and lazy sub-Big-Bang-Theory references. It also sometimes veers into fetish territory due to two character having ultimate cosmic powers for some reason, and turning their friends into food, plants, or various inanimate objects. Also has a hilariously overdone Wikipedia page maintained by the strip's artist.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix started life as an irregular parody of newspaper comics pages, written and drawn by noted political cartoonist Reuben Bolling. It's now maintained as a daily comic by persons unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set sees the opening, takes it.

Working Daze gets back to its roots (lazy nerd references).

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gets into merchandising.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Can someone explain to me what the gently caress 9 Chickweed Lane is about?
Sadly, yes I can.

bean_shadow posted:

Shouldn't he have known this before marrying her? Even if they were still dating, I think the fact that she has a company would come up.
You'd think that, wouldn't you?

So here's the thing about the current 9CWL storyline:

These two characters were introduced a few months back, which has been like two weeks in comic time. They're both musicians, and when they heard each other play they immediately wanted to gently caressfell in love, because in 9CWL music==sex. HOWEVER, they could not consumate their interest in each other because they're not married, and to engage in carnal relations before marriage is improper or some poo poo. So the guy proposes to the woman so they can have sex.

At this point, they have known each other like two days, and only met because they performed music together on stage as some last-minute thing or something.

HOWEVER, before the sex-enabling marriage can happen, the guy wants to get the woman's father's permission to marry his daughter. Turns out (ha ha!) the woman's family is ridiculously wealthy, and the father does not approve of this man marrying his daughter, and the couple end up playing music with the woman's family's grand piano. (c.f. "music==sex")

Anyway they're doing another music recital after having a spat, and have run offstage in the middle of it to have a totally fake self-administered marriage ceremony with just the two of them so they can finally have carnal relations in some prop room while their friends (who are supposed to be the main characters of the strip) fill in on-stage with presumably non-sexual music.

These two people, ones whose feet we've been seeing for a goddamn week and change, have known each other for about three weeks.

No, I do not know why I remember all that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

goatface posted:

You forgot the weird plane poo poo. I'm still not entirely sure what was going on there.
I think it was just that the guy couldn't wrap his head around the fact that she had her own private jet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Okay, that is fantastic news.

...I want to say these assholes were falling in love and talking about the no-sex thing when I stopped reading the 2016 thread.

In April.

Still not as bad as the two-and-a-half-year Nazi Grandma story.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

catlord posted:

So, I do have a question about this storyline. Wasn't the "what was grandpa doing while gramma hosed a Nazi," wasn't that the third time he's gone to that story line? Didn't he do the original story, and then do it again with some more bits added?
Probably. I don't remember too much from before the whole Nazi Gramma thing apart from the infamous hand-fuckin'.

The Classic Dinette Set makes America great again.

Working Daze has its priorities out of order.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is sponsored by Dateline NBC.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love this video. The odd poses and constant howling wind make it so enjoyably disturbing.

Tiggum posted:

For those who haven't been keeping up with Dick Tracy, the current team loves one thing above all else: Referencing old Dick Tracy characters. But second to that is crossovers. When Little Orphan Annie was cancelled mid-story the characters appeared in Dick Tracy to resolve it, and ever since then Annie, Warbucks, etc. have been recurring Dick Tracy characters.
Little Orphan Annie's mid-plotline cancellation was amazing because it happened while Annie was kidnapped and Warbucks didn't know where she was at all. It was basically "so Annie is lost, and Daddy Warbucks has no hope of finding her. The end!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

It was better than that - she wasn't just lost, she was presumed dead by Daddy Warbucks, but she'd actually been kidnapped by a character referred to as 'The Butcher of the Balkans'. Funky Winkerbean wishes it could be that grim!
Oh, right, I forgot the details.

Although...we might be on to something here...

Hey, Batuik! You want to make your strip really bleak? Have Les get kidnapped by an international terrorist with no apparent hope of rescue, make everyone else believe he's dead, then cancel Funky Winkerbean! Man, that'd really amazingly dark!

You think he bought it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't care about your 15 minutes.

Working Daze is pretty much the same "joke" as yesterday.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix feels as good as it looks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vargo posted:

I really miss Wallace The Brave from the old thread, it's very sweet and the art is great, and it manages to hit that Cul-de-Sac sweet spot of whimsy and family realism.
Oh man I forgot all about this strip, which is terrible of me because I really like it! I love that llama one so much.

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't manage time well.

Working Daze is on Day 3 of this stupid gag.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is edited for content.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cosima posted:

This comic sickens me. And no one who learned English 3 years ago would say "honeyed words", but Brooke is utterly incapable of hiding the fact he owns a thesaurus and a big book of old timey sayings, even when the context requires it.

Actually, what's sickening me about 9CL is that we've been looking at the bottoms of these people's feet for the past week and a half.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vargo posted:

And since it was requested I keep posting it, today's Wallace the Brave

Wallace's dad owns.
Oh, cool, I didn't know that Wallace the Brave was an RI-based comic!

Also that's a great name for a boat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vargo posted:

So, Wallace and Gil are both in RI, as is Intelligent Life and The Tinkersons, according to that one IL strip. (And because Intelligent Life loves being a Family Guy ripoff at every turn).
Well, the guys who do Wallace and Gil/Retail are both from RI. It doesn't look like Reddick is, though.

The Classic Dinette Set smells classy.

Working Daze hits a new low in lovely "nerd" "humor".

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix could have timed that better.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

drat that's a fine Terry Gilliam.
Not a bad PTerry there, either.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

Has anyone that uses GoComics as their source (as I do) tried out "the new GoComics"? (example) They're certainly trying to make image saving and sharing outside the usual banal social networks more difficult. :(

:siren: If you are on Chrome, use this extension :siren:

It lets you drag-and-select a part of the screen, and auto-uploads to a full imgur page where you can get the share links.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WickedHate posted:

There was a big storyline by the previous writer where Sarah was a child prodigy being tutored by a great artist and selling art books by the truck load, but when the new writer came in he had the tutor be chased off by debt collectors and it turned out the person distributing her books was inflating sales because she felt bad about her own estranged daughter. Honestly, this extra bit of reversing course on Wunderkind Sarah is kind of redundant.
I wonder if the new writer is trying to keep up with Judge Parker now.

The Classic Dinette Set is unsanitary.

Working Daze takes credit for other people's work.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix didn't see that coming.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think that was a goon edit, but it's still funny as hell because those changes were made ages ago and nobody's fixed them yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is poor value for money.

Working Daze is a wide-awake nightmare.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix butts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Edge of Award Ceremonies

Has Sam even left the bar at any point since the shooting?

Wait, that's it? That was the whole point of the trip?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

This one really made my blood boil for some reason. It's just so goddamn lazy and smug and FUNKY WINKERBEANY that I just made an audible groan at it.
It's barely a one-panel joke stretched out to Sunday strip length.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set isn't the brightest crayon in the box.

Working Daze is mostly empty.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is bullshit; everyone knows Guan Yu was cooler.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

The extension at least allows you to automatically upload a cropped area but, yeah, the only other way seems to be digging through the source code for the assetts.amuniversal.com link. Gross.

My favorite thing is that GoComics seems to think people will pay to be able to resize the comics.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Option #1: Run this javascript from the console of your browser, usually opened with F12:
code:
$(".item-comic-link-disabled").removeClass("item-comic-link-disabled");

Don't mind me, just quoting this so I can find it later.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is it really a common thing in Korea that workers won't get their paychecks some weeks? Do they at least get, like, a double check later, or are they just shorted that money and have to suck it up?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set gets some fresh air.

Working Daze is dated.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix reveals two harsh realities.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is underqualified.

Working Daze loves itself.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix can't believe it got away with that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

I love how it looks like Phantom just decked that last dude as he was walking past.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set gets with modern technology.

Working Daze reminds everyone that <character> has <characteristic>.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix turns a harsh mirror on the reader.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

Resuming Arlo and Janis with a series of strips about their son, Gene, and his wife, Mary Lou:
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like ever since Ces took over Judge Parker and made it not about one-percenters getting everything handed to them, it feels like a lot of other "dramatic strip" writers have realized that they can actually write characters with interesting flaws and conflicts and have them not win 100% of the time.

What a time to be alive. :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't allow suckers to keep their money.

Working Daze is an HR nightmare.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is no laughing matter.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set named the dog "Indiana".

Working Daze finally remembers there's such a thing as inappropriate workplace behavior.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix's heart was in the right place. So to speak.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I hate everything about this, up to and including Batuik.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is in a race against time.

Working Daze fails to make a joke in order to make a Monty Python reference very few people would get.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gives us closure.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is not OSHA approved.

Working Daze is spam.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is wise beyond its years.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I have to admit, I did not expect these two storylines to cross over into each other.

...are you loving kidding me?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh god I just noticed Harlan's plunging neckline and the chain.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm actually a bit surprised that the Mark Trail strip didn't end with "happy now, Mr. Smartypants?" or something.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set isn't worried about everyone else.

Working Daze has never seen a human being walk before.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a prequel to Chew.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set discusses economic indicators.

Working Daze is lazy even by its own standards.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a ball of gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

I can't believe they are making an entire week out of chocolate big. It's not even like that in my experience as a retail store chocolate connoisseur.
Stretching one barely-joke out for a week is a time-honored comic strip tradition.

You know, Dawn, given that you're sort-of-dating your professor, or at the very least spending too much time with him outside of school, you are the last person who should be scowling at someone else for their relationship choices.

• Locked thread