Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Isn't it "olly olly oxen free"? I have no idea what it means or entails, but I at least know the phrase.

I think that's the joke; that is, that the other girl also has it wrong.

Mark Trail typically features biology tidbits on Sundays, terrible adventure plotlines on weekdays, and a mixture of copy-paste and terrible drawing courtesy of James "Jam Esallen" Allen.

Pearls Before Swine is almost always wordplay or Stephan Pastis complaining about something. His pun setups are infamous.

The Phantom features a Sunday storyline and a weekday storyline, with different artists (Terry Beatty and Mike Manley) but the same writer (Tony DePaul). Inexplicably the Sundays are usually better written. :shrug:

Pooch Café is Paul Gilligan's increasingly desperate warning about the dangers of owning a sentient dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Darthemed posted:

And the GoComics comments... completely missing the joke.

Right, but is there anything noteworthy occurring there?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Allen Wren posted:

Any major developments?

Mary Worth's art is good now, all of Judge Parker is good now, Guy Gilchrist and Tom Batiuk remain irredeemable.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail Meets 9CL

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

bean_shadow posted:

Wasn't Ted the one who was like, "Mid-life crisis eh? Boring life eh? You should cheat on your wife, John. I do!" If so then good on the wife for leaving that POS.

On the other hand, boy, talk about it being easier to diagnose other peoples' problems rather than your own.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

catlord posted:

I was pondering this earlier (one should never ponder Mary Worth, what has this thread done to me), have we ever seen Mary give out advice that actually hurt? Not like, intentionally, of course, but I can't think of a time where she wasn't right on the money.

Does indirectly killing Aldo Kelrast count? I kind of want it to count.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Oh what I'd give to see the reaction to this week's strips* from the woman this character is based on.

*And really just every strip in this poo poo show, honestly.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, right, I forgot the details.

Although...we might be on to something here...

Hey, Batuik! You want to make your strip really bleak? Have Les get kidnapped by an international terrorist with no apparent hope of rescue, make everyone else believe he's dead, then cancel Funky Winkerbean! Man, that'd really amazingly dark!

You think he bought it?

Of course he didn't buy it, not once did you bring up cancer.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Really Pants posted:

STROM THURMOND was a PIECE OF poo poo!
The best part is the other southern senators had already agreed to not filibuster the bill, so he basically took a public stand in favor of discrimination that even other massive racists thought made them look like incompetent idiots.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

treasureplane posted:

Gasoline Alley (October 25, 1923)

I realize misunderstanding is the basis of conflict but holy hell you exclusively go by "Mrs. Blossom" in the 1920s. That is not going to be a rare line of inquiry.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

gleebster posted:

You forget the most important cross-over of all: Funky Winkerbean! In his own strip, Tracy happened to trip up a bank robbery in Cancerview. In Batiuk's strip, Dick Tracy helped point out to the regular characters where some old comic books that had been police evidence were being auctioned.

I just realized something: wasn't that before we found out Sam's wife had cancer? The crossover didn't end there! :aaaaa:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

So this is what it's like to discover that, until just now, you have never truly lived.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

:allears: I've been skeptical ever since Manley took over art duties, but this week has won me over. He just needed better material.

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Darthemed posted:

Which gives me a pretext to recommend Yoshihiro Tatsumi's The Push Man and Other Stories.

I'll gladly second that recommendation but with the caveat of "don't read Yoshihiro Tatsumi if you want to feel good about humanity."

Of course, if you're reading this thread you probably abandoned any hopes for your fellow man long ago.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom Meets Special Guest Contributor Jam Esallen

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

drat that's a fine Terry Gilliam.

Also, Dope Rider seems pretty cool, hope you'll keep posting it.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail Meets a Sunday Strip That Probably Should've Run Back in That Whole Cave Arc Where White Nose Syndrome Was the Excuse Y'know?

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I'd just like to take a moment to thank this particular C&H for being the reason I will have the opening of Hamlet's Act III soliloquy memorized until the day I die.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Gotta say, that Chrome extension made this obnoxiously easy. Any thread requests for a fifth comic?

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Is it just me or does that second panel scan as incredibly sarcastic?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

ianvincible posted:

Well, Guan Yu was deified and is still worshiped as a deity in several religions, so in some sense he does.

He also periodically comes back as a vengeful ghost in the book, so there's no reason he couldn't gently caress some dudes up in the 1430s. Other than a lack of motivation, I guess.

Julet Esqu posted:

GoComics is a piece of poo poo now! The Chrome extension did nothing for me! Looks like we've sunk to cropped screenshot time! This is way too much effort for Luann.

The extension at least allows you to automatically upload a cropped area but, yeah, the only other way seems to be digging through the source code for the assetts.amuniversal.com link. Gross.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Elysiume posted:

Option #3: Add this CSS profile with Stylish to override the CSS they use to block right clicks, this one will work automatically whenever you open a page:
code:
.item-comic-link-disabled {
    pointer-events: auto !important;
    cursor: default !important;
}

Ah, that works terrifically. Thanks!

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WickedHate posted:

I could have sworn the Spirit's assistant was black.

Sammy's actually the character who replaced Ebony White because, as I'm sure you're aware, he sort of made Out Our Way's depiction of black people look progressive and nuanced.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WickedHate posted:

So instead of making the black character less racist they just replaced him with a white guy. Great.
Well, yes, it was still the 1940s.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

So is digital Guan Yu worshipped by cyber police? :downsrim:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

From where I'm sitting Rex Morgan could also stand to undergo bankruptcy. Just really pile on the misfortune for a while in some kind of hosed up reverse catharsis. I have tasted the sweet fruits of Judge Parker and demand more.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

With Hil's age, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to be boomers. It would mean they had her at 40 years old at the youngest, which is not impossible, but is very unlikely.

True, but that's also a point in favor of Ces. Compare the other strips on the comics page where parents are written as considerably older than is now realistic by those same metrics (Curtis, various legacy strips, arguably Dustin, etc.).

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Vargo posted:

And ahahahahaha, Wizard of Id definitely has someone new on the writing staff:

I don't know who this new writer is but I want them to take over more legacy strips.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Yeah. No way it couldn't be one of the three people you've met. It's not your job to be Colombo. Just report it and move on with your life.
Look at you, asking characters to respond realistically and believably to comparatively mundane developments. It's like you don't even know how ~drama~ works or anything.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Tiggum posted:

La Cucaracha

What?

"Native Americans from Central and South America are disproportionately represented amongst illegal immigrants" together with a "the Falklands have just been invaded!" calibre rerun.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt last week, but... nope, Chinese ninjas.

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Caesar Cardini gets no respect.

e: Also the central irony of that Annie Hall bit is those arguments are still made about Fellini and McCluhan.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 15, 2017

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Armstrong must have a hell of a buffer.

WickedHate posted:

Honey Come Chatka

Further evidence that we should all look to Tayo as a role model.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

So the odds of the thanks being "not putting him on a loving stamp" are like... what, 100%?

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Kavak posted:

Ironically, he supported Vietnam in the beginning as the first integrated war until it became clear that the lives of black soldiers were being valued less than white ones.

Huh? He didn't speak out in opposition at first because he was concerned it could potentially undo LBJ's civil rights agenda, but that's quite a bit different from "supporting" it.

e: Mind you this is all tangential to the fact that the real stand-out garbage today was Mike Lester whining on Twitter about Muslim terrorists something something unjustified white guilt something something.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

For those of you keeping track at home, that's one thing that should've killed Mark accounted for, 4,768 unaccounted for.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

• Locked thread