Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
someone make a full spectrum setting supplement plus sample adventure for Strike and I will throw money at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cassa posted:

Sounds cool, but what's with the adversity to a grid?

Using a grid adds a level of "props overhead" and "gameplay overhead" that people sometimes want to do away with.

It's also a little funny to see this push-pull happen because despite 5e being lauded for "allowing for gridless play", there are a LOT of groups that like to use miniatures and create terrain battlefields anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Moriatti posted:

I've got one of these kicking around in my head. How in-depth would you want it?
Also, Jimbozig, do you have any plans to release something like this or not because if not...

Ideally, a guide to "here's how you turn Strike into a 4e-clone PHB", plus an adventure similar to what's in the back of the DMG complete with monster statblocks and encounters (except, you know, good).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

As for Strike!, what’s so bad? I keep trying to get it to our local table and need to know if there’s any problems. I did read it had the Status Dead problem (dead is better than any status effect) and I agree the first half of the book is a bit of a wall of text explaining the base resolution system, but it still looks pretty good to me.

Every time this conversation crops up, it usually revolves around how Strike is written to be very setting-agnostic to the point where it can turn some people off (or like me, be too lazy to put in the work to skin it), as well as the fact that it's written with such a "first-time player, no assumptions" style that it can feel overly verbose and insufficiently edited for old hands (but that style is otherwise really good for anyone who isn't a veteran of the hobby).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Just bumping my post about Patreon from a couple of weeks ago to add that it isn't just small fry little guys building their livelihoods on these new digital services and making themselves extremely vulnerable to getting screwed over by the power asymmetry - lots of major publishers and media companies who have tried to build their future around Facebook get run in circles, have their deals renegotiated from under them, and find themselves essentially becoming serfs on Zuckerberg's landed estate.

Youtube is another great example of this, where peoples' behavior toward content production is massively shaped and controlled by whatever algorithm Google uses to show their videos (and the lack of transparency for what that algorithm is)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Thinking about : Spycraft 2.0? I think Fragged Empire might be too far afield, BitD is close to fantasy, Night’s Black Agents has a horror angle I don’t think we want. I can’t find any prewritten adventures for Spycraft 2, which would be nice, but I’ll keep looking.

Night's Black Agents has support for dropping the supernatural aspect and playing it like a "normal" spy-vs-spy game between humans.

hyphz posted:

I half-jokingly started writing up the Strike! rules as if they were a 5e supplement a while back, would that kind of thing actually be valuable? http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/edit/ByzsvcYrHb (I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near complete enough to be a copyright problem, it only has the dice tables and one class)

This would kick all sorts of rear end if you finished. I already like what you've written up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/943779946249506816

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
:justpost:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
multiclassing into the Incel prestige class to own the libs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the virgin d20
and
the chad PBTA

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The castigation of Bright's setting tends to miss that it's a Shadowrun expy, but it ends up highlighting the problem that Shadowrun's setting isn't that great even if you looked at it by itself anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The gear monkey tosses you a clip of custom-made ununoctium bullets

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what system to best run Bright the RPG? Phoenix Command

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's closing in on midnight where I am, so I wanted to wish everyone in TG a happy holiday. 2017 has been difficult on the whole, but you folks have helped, and I hope I have been entertaining in return

special shoutout to my D&D group - we've come a long way, and there's still a ways to go!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bright being awful and Bright being Shadowrun the Movie are congruent

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

I only partially remember that abomination, specifically that weapon focus was like 10 points because "well obviously it'll give the fight a +1 on all attacks!" but Maximize Spell was only 2-3 because "it has a built-in cost to use!"

Monte Cook had the germ of a good idea in one of the 3rd-party supplements he wrote where taking a martial feat included with it a thrice-per-day "boosted" version of the ability.

Like, taking Improved Trip meant that you had three trip attempts per day that just worked, or taking Whirlwind Attack meant that you had three whirlwind attacks per day that only took a standard action, or taking Improved Critical meant that you could double (again) your critical threat range three times per day.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's my understanding that D&D 3.0 bowmen were fairly good because of the high number of attacks they could manage, but that this advantage was later nerfed by errata, 3.5 changes, and the problem of DR applying to every individual attack, which made single strong attacks much better than lots of small individual attacks.

D&D 5e bowmen, meanwhile, can access the Archery fighting style, which is one of the few sources of direct +to-hit, while also profiting from 5e allowing one to directly add their Dex modifier to attack rolls (which 3e did not allow you to do).

Finally, most versions of D&D have bow ranges measured in hundreds of feet, which would theoretically give them a huge advantage in killing monsters long before they ever got close enough to ever become a problem - this is usually counter-balanced by having adventures take place in dungeons, where the 300 foot range of a longbow is reduced to "the end of the corridor", but can still produce some odd logical conclusions when you combine it with 5e's Bounded Accuracy: a group of two dozen bowmen would have a decent shot at killing even adult dragons simply by plinking at it from max distance and hoping for nat 20s.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

from now on I will only rank D&D editions by how sick their archers are

I've rarely been failed by the Fighter Test: take any RPG book, open it to the part with the Fightymans class, and if it doesn't excite you, put it the gently caress down.

A corollary is the Magic Test: if the book has an entire chapter dedicated to spells, and not everybody has access to spells, that's another huge red flag.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

unseenlibrarian posted:

This is Rules Cyclopedia erasure and I won't stand for it.

The Weapon Mastery benefits for bows really isn't anything to write home about, though BECMI/RC is of course good on the whole.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I feel like 2e gets too much credit in general hereabouts just as a backlash against 3e, I'm not sure it has any merits that really elevate it beyond basic competence in a modern context, compared to Gygax's scrawled-on-the-walls-of-a-room-style of 1e.

I have to agree. AD&D 2e was more readable and understandable than AD&D 1e, but still a lot worse than the Basic set and 3e.

We just tend to give 3e short shrift because we know what the playability of the text leads to eventually.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

I will never understand the thought process that lead to THAC0 as long as I live

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2016/10/31/thac0-origins-and-context/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Falstaff posted:

That said, I disagree that 3E was better than 2E. I don't feel super strongly about it, and there's a lot more cruft to sift through with 2E, but as a game at the table it's a more satisfying experience from a player's perspective in both the short and the long term. Short term because a new 2E character is going to have almost as much customization as with 3rd, and long term because as horrible as the balance is in 2E, it's still better than in 3E.

Certainly it would be interesting to have an AD&D retroclone that migrated to ascending AC and 3e's basic resolution system, but preserved most everything else, even including rolling back the hit die and AC-scaling changes that stealth-nerfed Fighters in 3e.

Like, Castles & Crusades didn't really end up emulating AD&D at all in this regard because the Fighter lacked Weapon Specialization, extra attacks, good saving throws, and all the other stuff that made them combat monsters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

Couldn't a point feat system work if it was made like in uhh a lot of videogames that let you customize the poo poo out of your characters AND have point costs to buy crap?

Would a feat system work better if you could take back your choices readily and freely? Yes. I'm a firm believer in being very liberal with take-backs in character progression choices. Remaking your character should be as easy as it currently is in WoW or Diablo 3.

Would a point-cost to feats help? Kinda-sorta? If you could have a basic frame of reference to how strong a "1-point feat" should be, and rejiggered everything to abide by that, then it would help, but the bigger problem with feats is that there's no frame of reference to what they should do to begin with.

If they were all "combat bonuses", then sure. But they're also skill bonuses, and fluff/flavor/lore bonuses, and that dilutes the concept to the point where the point-values start to become within orders of magnitude in utility.

I think the big takeaway from video games is that these sorts of customization choices should instead take their cues from DOTA 2 / Heroes of the Storm, where you only ever have to make a choice between two to four different-and-mutually-exclusive abilities. It prevents analysis paralysis, allows each individual effect to be much more powerful, and prevents degenerate stacking of similar effects.

D&D 4e mostly got this right as far as only having two to three different Powers to choose from when you gained them at a given level, but it still had wide-open feat selections.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think that even in a game with explicitly defined skills, players will strive to only attempt things within their wheelhouse anyway.

In that sense, "bad skills" are almost like Fate aspects where the GM has to "invoke" situations where the player is forced to use a skill that they otherwise never would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Glumslinger posted:

Dumb question, but anyone got a recommendation for a fantasy series in the classic sword and sorcery, D&D style? Something that isnt super deep, but can give me some inspiration as try to be a better gm

Tamora Pierce's Alanna series?

Dragonlance was already mentioned, and I have some very fond memories of the Cormyr series of Forgotten Realms fiction

• Locked thread