Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm going for some modest goals this year like cleaning my apartment and completing another FATAL & Friends write up. Going to start an Edge of the Empire campaign in a few months so hopefully I don't screw that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Not sure if it's better or worse than the other Juggalo game.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

I gotta laugh, otherwise I start screaming.

Same and heavy drinking. Although the election didn't change either.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Best Dark Elves are the one in Burning Wheel. None of that pesky racial stuff, just a regular Elf gone bad.

quote:

The Path of Spite is walked by those Elves who have turned their Grief and sorrow into Spite and bitterness. These dark souls see the world as coming to nothing but ruin and wreckage. There is no good left in it for them, nor will there be for anyone else in the end.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Arivia posted:

I don't hate the people playing 5e. I do hate Mearls, Zak S, and the rest of them, and you know why. Don't pretend 5e is a neutral topic on these forums, something to despairingly cluck our teeth at like Palladium or bad World of Darkness books.

Beyond that, it's not very groggy to talk about how the latest edition of the most popular, best-known roleplaying game is horrible and bad from a creative and design standpoint. It's not just preference. 5e is objectively a bad game, one we've mocked since its introduction on these forums, and it's not stopping. It could be very little like 4e and that would be fine if it was good, which it isn't.

And yeah, it sucks that such a terrible game is the gateway to the hobby. That's also why there's so much conflict in the thread. Tons of new people who haven't played anything other than 5e, who haven't posted here before and don't know TG culture. They just want a peaceful place to talk about the game with other players, but they don't know why this forum doesn't like 5e at all. They want enworld and we're not that, but since it's popular there's a critical mass to make it something they try to enforce.

I think the ten thousand word posts about how Elminster is your perfect waifu were preferable to this nonsense. I'm not a fan of 5e but you don't get to unilaterally decide what the culture here is and runoff anyone that has questions. That's not how you grow the hobby or create a welcoming community.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Ominous Jazz posted:

lets tighten up this loose beef with something we can all shut the gently caress about,
and that's motherfucking heist games!

This one is more story gaming, works wonders for a one off! I can't imagine trying to continue this for the long run!

What are YOUR favorite heist games? Why should I go gently caress myself?

I'm not a fan of Shadowrun (a symptom of "you got your chocolate in my peanut butter" syndrome) and I haven't read Blades in the Dark yet. Fiasco is extremely my jam though. Played a 3 player game yesterday using the Manna Hotel playset. After two hundred pounds of buffalo jerky, a badger with a taste for human flesh and a visit from the community college chapter of the Skull & Bones Society my character, an air-headed flower child, got off this easiest with a permanent place on an FBI watch list and a horribly disfiguring case of badger pox.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Countblanc posted:

Isn't the phrase "you got your chocolate in my peanut butter" supposed to refer to creating something delicious/great on accident? What does this mean here in the context of "I don't like it"?

I may have picked the wrong metaphor but my personal preference is to keep my Fantasy separate from Sci-Fi; I'm a Debbie Downer in that regard. Some folks love SR, so you do you.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Countblanc posted:

You should have played an RPG at the beach.

A game of Everyone is John with an inflatable d6 and sea shells as tokens.

Speaking of, would Discord be a good avenue for playing Everyone is John?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I've read it and played it. It's more tightly focused on a single topic for each session than Microscope. Instead of a wide ranging history you'll tell the story of a small town or the crew of a pirate ship. Kingdom also has more "mechanics", there are ways to push the narrative and influence the other characters. It's a solid game, if you've got a few bucks to spare pick it up.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Outside the supernatural, there used to be a great blog "Big Dead Place" about life at McMurdo Station in Antarctica. Most of the bad poo poo that happened there was from alcohol, love triangles, and operating heavy machinery(usually while drunk).

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
There's a Spacemaster hack for Mass Effect.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

Based on the classic rules or the later "Standard System" revisions?

Not sure, I joined the campaign after it had already been going for awhile and just used the character maker spreadsheet.

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm curious now, got a link to the Spacemaster Mass Effect hack? I tried to Google it but got nothing useful. It doesn't sound like something I'd like to play (having a love-hate relationship with Mass Effect and not having played Spacemaster) but I'd like to see how it's put together.

I'll see if I still have the pdf when I get home from work.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm curious now, got a link to the Spacemaster Mass Effect hack? I tried to Google it but got nothing useful. It doesn't sound like something I'd like to play (having a love-hate relationship with Mass Effect and not having played Spacemaster) but I'd like to see how it's put together.

Turn's out this was homebrewed by our GM. He gave me the okay to share it. Spacemaster: Mass Effect

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm going to point out, since Cluney didn't, that The World of Millennium Blades art book also just came out to backers. I mention this because it includes Duel Questers, a short RPG written by Cluney set in the Millennium Blades universe. (You still need a copy of Millennium Blades itself to play it, of course.)

Is it a roleplaying game about playing roleplaying games?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Helical Nightmares posted:

Zzarchov Kowolski, the creator of the excellent cursed-town generation system Scenic Dunnsmouth published a Haunted House generator that utilizes a deck of cards to generate a unique house and ghostly beastie to inhabit it.

The Price of Evil: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/164250/The-Price-of-Evil

I just bought it and (as a GM) I'm loving it.

I'm even coming up with ideas for Call of Cthulhu haunted houses with this toolkit. For $8, it is great!

Those both seem really neat. Any examples of the sort content it outputs?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Helical Nightmares posted:

I’m looking to make a list of all the rpgs and rpg supplements that tackle the subject of base building, domain management or organization building.

So what am I missing from this list?

Way of the Wicked book 2 has an interesting if imperfect take on the 3.PF leadership feat. It gives an expanded system for managing all the henchmen you get.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Post a public bounty of 3gp each for intact corpses. Watch the local mortality rate spike. Wizards, no sense of right or wrong!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jepsen's EMOTION is one of the best albums of 2015 and I'd highly recommend it.

How is that CW show about sexy Archies?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Ettin posted:

Nothing wrong with boning :shrug:

#sexpositive

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

I'm sorry, that doesn't look like anything to me.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Covok posted:

Man, regretting doing that Alternate Morality system for FFG Star Wars. Someone was asking for it on the official forums so I drafted up a barebones one that'd reward balance, which is what he was asking for. Still getting messages from people about how "that's not how the force works" and etc, etc. Not that they're without merit on some points (they were right it was a mechanically unbalanced system, ironically), but the daily essays on how the force works were a "fun" consolation price.

No good deed goes unpunished.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
It's probably a great way to get invited into people's homes.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Covok posted:

As somone who graduated college last year, look forward to your child being a social outcast and hating you.

Perfect way to guarantee they wind up as gamers.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Plutonis posted:

I looked Majimonsters and they look like Neopet rejects

That doesn't look like anything to me.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
That's disappointing given that Gotham is the best DC TV show.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Red Metal posted:

i still want to know what conversation led them to deciding on an mmo first and foremost. did it start and end with "let's make an mmo!" because i find it hard to believe that no one suggested making a neverwinter nights clone when the topic of a pathfinder video game came up

Ryan Dancey

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I saw that too. It's amazing to me that people are still recommending it so much.

Or that it's been translated into a half-dozen languages. I own a physical copy of the Guide in Korean and it still blows my mind.

e: I do wish I knew how many "copies" there are out there, though. Like how many times it's been downloaded.

I've got my home made copy that I'll be reading on the plane tomorrow to refresh myself before the one time a year I get to run DW.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Don't know why he's on a dating site, he already has a chicken to gently caress.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

slap me and kiss me posted:

Even if 4e was the worst ever, it still has more game than that dude.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
The F&F archive is blocked on my office network but LiveLeak isn't. Some things just don't make sense.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I grabbed the DCC and Starfinder booklets. Reading the Starfinder one now, monsters and NPCs aren't made using the same rules as PCs. There's a few new mechanics but overall it looks like more of the same. There are also no pregen characters or adventure its just monster stats and some seeing info.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Arivia posted:

It's a preview document for a system that isn't even out yet.

As a preview of the system it's useless.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Somewhere there's a favela missing it's idiot.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
The stars must be right, cause Plutonis made a good post. IA! IA! CTHULHU FTHAGHN!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Burning books because you don't like the content is wrong. :colbert:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

quote:

"Dark as poo poo. And better than Fate." - Davae Breon Jaxon, Critical Hit Publishing

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
They do Prawn LARPs at GenCon I think.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I don't remember Magic School Bus too well, but I'm going to say use Dread.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Should make a thread over in TCC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Depending on how modern you're looking for I'm a fan of Hollow Earth Expedition. It's pulpy 1930's Indiana Jones style play; space aliens, Nazi's, dinosaurs. I don't have all the splats so I don't know if there is any Lovecraft content.

• Locked thread