Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Have you considered that this type of game may just not be for you?

No, I like superhero games just fine. I really liked MHR, I’ve played a bunch of M&M, and even some HERO. Jimbozig’s bad copy mess of 4e and Burning Wheel or whatever it was isn’t a good superhero game. It’s not a good game period, but it’s at least feasible for those “4e with the names rubbed off” anime games people were running before they converted them to FATE next.

Like you yourself said, if you don’t need grid combat, don’t play Strike. And you don’t need grid combat for a superhero game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reene posted:

hey in the interests of literally any conversation but this, I'm set to play in a 2E Ravenloft campaign.

If I want to make the best necromancer I can what should I peep at? I have literally never touched 2E so I have no experience actually playing it.

I have no idea if it’s any good, but there’s an official Complete Book of Necromancers for 2e. There’s also the Complete Wizard’s Handbook, the Tome of Magic, and there’s probably some Ravenloft specific stuff too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Arivia,

I think that last statement is highly dependant upon your group but hey, thank you for the Ernest response.

As my last point on this topic, I don't think Fate adds anything MHR doesn't do better for Supers games.

People think very highly of the brainstorming and other similar activities in Atomic Robo for smart, thinky characters as far as I know.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Those spells would definitely be in the mighty WIZARD’S SPELL COMPENDIUM we all forgot to mention. :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Moriatti posted:

So if you are passionate about a bad system and ypur players are on board, it is sometimes worth running that game.

This is why I’m still running Pathfinder :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

Mostly can’t get into the stock 5e Realms because most of it feels painfully generic, the same way I feel about most high fantasy settings these days. The Second Sundering outlined that it really wasn’t a setting anymore, just a bunch of interchangeable setpieces where people’s actions no longer mattered because the reset button could be pushed at any time.

The most fun I had was a Godbound game I ran set in the Realms during the Time of Troubles, where every PC played a god of their choice and had the chance to bend the setting to their whims. The game ended with the liberation of Thay before RL got in the way and I had to wrap things up.

The 5e Realms are pretty bad, yeah. You’re right in saying they took out a lot of what’s unique about the setting. The Realms are nowhere near as crowded as people make them out to be, but the level of detail is for sure a lot of what appeals.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Was there a single Essentials subclass that wasn't just a worse and more boring version of the original?

The Mage was better because lol Mearls.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That actually has narrative and attention and an editor and layout and so many other things, so yep much better than Strike.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zerilan posted:

You have like the weirdest loving grudge against that system.

I don’t have a grudge. It’s just bad and it’s baffling to see a bad system get promoted so heavily here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Yeah strike's book would probably be a lot better of a read if it didn't try so hard to be so setting/theme/etc agnostic and embraced its dungeon crawler roots more.

Jimbozig considers its bland lack of anything to be a strength though. He actually intentionally designed it that way because he thought it was better for the game to have Futurama references and Avatar/Star Wars in all but name instead of actual creativity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

is there a homebrew game thread? I started converting shadowrun into a houserule'd quasi-medieval setting and went way too far and now it's a 20 page document. Is there a good thread to post some rules snippits so grogs can really tear into me and tell me why I'm wrong?

As one of the local grogs you’re wrong.

no honestly that sounds pretty cool I agree with :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm going to guess this is a better and more nuanced representation of "monstrous humanoids facing oppression in the modern world" than Bright is despite being made on a thousandth of the budget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsMKOx6fumc

• Locked thread