Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordiceius posted:

Joking Hazard is pretty great.

is that the Cyanide and Happiness 'finish the comic' one? If so yea that's probably my favorite 'lol so random cards guys' game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
why are there double discords

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

leprechauns aren't real, OP

so that WAS just an irish little person stealing my gold...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
did someone say free beef

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, I'm moving and due to complicated but really boring reasons my parents were helping me. During a lull apparently my dad just started leafing through my copy of Unknown Armies.

He's a nerd too and reads that kind of fiction, and he knows I play nerdgames, but we just had a long and bizarre conversation about What The gently caress Is That Book?!?!?

Explaining the concept of personally apocalyptic horror instead of just killing orcs to my dad was interesting.

I have nothing to add but I thought that was hilarious.

My father was a huge D&D player and all but that was basically all he knew, so I had to kinda walk him through the idea of cyberpunk fantasy mashup when he saw some of my Shadowrun stuff. It's interesting, with the blend of niche poo poo in this kinda community to start with and the sudden boom in digital distribution and all things went from 'there's D&D and maybe if you're getting fancy stuff like Champions or you can check out what Jeff's been writing and swearing at in his binder for the past little bit...' to 'yea you can find a game for being a dwarf with a shotgun who moonlights as a pro wrestler in mad max post-apocalypse settings'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cassa posted:

So this looks amazing

But how does it play?

they say they're using their Conan system for it, so I expect it to play as smooth as that, with a heavy focus on cinematic, active, moments and a pretty solid background gen system. I'm pretty eager to see it myself, I'd kill for a good Trek RPG.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is he trying to neg you with edition war

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you know what ladies dig? Unprompted rants about how they're not real fans of 'x' because they don't exactly mirror my tastes. That's something they never get from others so I'll be a new experience, right

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey Legend of the Five Rings RPG question. A samurai receives a living stipend from his lord. Which book(s) from which edition(s) give me some info on how big and how regular this stipend is? Or does someone with real knowledge of old Japan have some guidance to offer?

Like said, those details are for the filthy underclass merchants to deal with. Money in L5R games should be extremely fluid for Samurai characters in general, you're not supposed to care about the details, you're just supposed to not gently caress up and lose your cash cow. Basically a samurai in good standing doesn't need to worry about the day to day expenses because their lord handles that. The general rule of thumb is that in romanticized Rokugan even low ranking samurais get enough koku to not worry about where their food is coming from as long as they're not loving up, and obviously has clan holdings/family lands/etc to handle shelter. I think it's a monthly stipend on paper but if your samurai isn't going hog wild feasting every day he shouldn't be worrying about when his next paycheck comes in Rokugan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yawgmoth posted:

A lot of people were salty that it wasn't the stereotypical anime feudal not-japan setting, and a bunch of other people thought it wasn't historical japan enough. Also the plot was kind of awkward and when you combine that with wrapping up 95% of the value of an entire set into one card and have a big pile of really boring mechanics on top of that, announcing a Magic MMO (which some people have been clamoring for since Everquest) and then setting it in one of the least enjoyed block's setting would create an enormous amount of salt.

this is all accurate and that's why I hope it is set in Kamigawa

Splice was fun goddamnit!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mover posted:

an Innistrad video game would be a lower budget Bloodborne otherwise, yeah

instead of furiously pumping your axe you can loop shuffling your deck aggressively

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I actually really love the idea of using the whole 'blood is the life essence of the person' thing to say different contexts of feeding give different bonuses and all.

Boy howdy is that not what I want at all out of that, though!

It could have been so easy. Feeding in a social situation like a club, free dice to your social pools, feeding in a physical setting like the gym or grabbing a rando jogger or even while fighting, same for the physical pools, that poo poo!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Charnel Houses of Europe was a stupid idea to begin with but they at least handled it as tastefully as they could. Like, don't do that, but if for some reason you NEED to I guess kudos for being respectful?

WoD Gypsies is literally the most racist thing I've read a major RPG publisher do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm loving this huge surge in rules-lite narrative heavy games but unless they're doing something really unique with it I just have too many FATE/PbtA games already to give some new one more than a quick 'oh, neat' look.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's all around twitter including guys like Mearls and Onyx Path so either they're gonna be very embarrassed or it's sadly real. That's pretty sudden, did have have health issues?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

occamsnailfile posted:

So the new Bundle of Holding is for "Colonial Gothic" and I admit I had never heard of this one before. Is it any good, does it handle the whole complicated mess of US Colonial politics + monsters well, are the Native Americans more than mystical spiritually aware noble savages?

from what I remember they handle it decent enough. The monsters are just monsters, they make it very clear that the colonial situation is tense with the natives for fair reasons, but I don't think it does much more than that.

Natives are magic but magic is real in general so there's both shamans and spooky bog witches and poo poo so it's not that bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's something apropos about the nominated WotC product being collection of 5e-updated classic adventures. Congrats to Cubicle 7 for all of its nominations. MCG books always have fantastic art, so Numenera nominations for art are fair, but lol at the "best setting" nomination.

I dunno, it shouldn't win yea but I think it's worth getting a nomination at least.

Tales from the Loop totally should get that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
AFMBE goes gonzo but it never tops Enter The Zombie. That was peak AFMBE.

The space one gets pretty buck wild, though

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Any star wars RPG review that shouts out the light/dark side dice being carefully bespoke to fit the theme of the entire universe is probably one to listen to

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Hunt For The Suck Worm

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

I'm joining a game next week and I'm making a fat portuguese wizard

in my last game I was a big jolly fat Frankish wizard and it was the best. Fat wizards best wizards

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also I love my friends but we get absolutely drained playing the very very very rare mega all nighter sessions and all (that usually involve hour long distractions to gently caress around other ways popping in). I can't imagine 16 hours of pure D&D not becoming just a chore.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My favorite homebrew was in a setting where Orcs and Elves wound up forging alliances due to forests and mountainy areas being both their typical homes, and they both super hated Dwarfs for different reasons. Still typical Fantasy Orcs (a bit less 'unga bunga me chop you' but still the whole 'we're a culture based on harsh survivalist mindset and primal religions'), still typical Fantasy Elves, but they just ages ago agreed to tolerate each other and make efforts to unite to keep those drat Dwarfs from messing their poo poo up. Really that's all you need, just don't make Orcs or whatever 'antagonist race' some kinda savage hivemind and they're fine. Have some examples of when others had to work with them, give them a history deeper than 'every other war is because they wanted to eat the flesh of some princess or whatever those savages do', and spend as much effort as any other race would get in your world on them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Did anyone ever post their thoughts on that Maelstorm RPG that Bundle of Holding has right now?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Battletech

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Japan had an extremely real and brutal caste system for the vast majority of it's history and arguably a lot of the cultural impact remains a problem in less overt ways. Having a line of 'hey samurai are actually kinda in a situation where they can just be overtly evil and 90% of the population can only go 'uh that sure sucked' when it's over' isn't bad for establishing tone if they actually stick with it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
For that matter even away from the 'yea that's how poo poo worked' component, a lot of the best samurai stories involve the heroes being points of light in an oppressive and harsh world for the common people. You kinda can't have a world with cruel lords over taxing their people and junk without also having samurai who find no problem in strong arming a farmer that's starving. Heroes obviously shouldn't be doing that poo poo but their heroics would mean a lot more in a world where yea there is a pretty oppressive status quo even even you are loyal to the emperor and all.

It's like how Edge of the Empire works best when you are playing kinda dirtbag smuggler criminals too, but the whole point is you have more noble intent than most of your peers. If they go for that tone with L5R they could have a really good handling of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it feels like they took all the complaints that certain skills were a bit point-sinky until certain levels and said 'well what if we made ALL skills like that, ESPECIALLY the skills explicitly meant to be something entire schools are designed around? Would that help make things feel more fair, if EVERYONE just ate poo poo?'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Moriatti posted:

Has anybody looked at "Star Trek Adventures: These are the Voyages - Volume 1" and is it any good?

EDIT: ALso is there an STA thread?

My group is loving STA and we've used that book as a jumping point. Most of them are pretty bog standard Trek rear end Trek stuff but they're done fairly well and provide resources.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Moriatti posted:

So I made these today, and I'm quite proud of them.

more rpg sessions need Pop-O-Matic technology.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

Watching Mario Rabbids stream was insane because it's definitely the best game Ubisoft made in decades and it was well thought out too despite everything about its making being a red flag to me

it's really weird how well thought out 'let's mash two of our big IPs together for some kinda weird x-com rip' is, yea. Mario has a gun and it's fuckin good y'all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The EVE RP community is one of my absolute favorite sources of absolute insane poo poo in that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea GW has actually been inching to 'maybe things changed since the late 80's?'

Many of it's fans, sadly...not so much...

• Locked thread