Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Here's to hoping that tRPG designers this year are more like Kandinsky and less like Henry Darger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I had no idea that guy from Kids in the Hall made an anime RPG

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Allip had to be one of the laziest made-up names for a monster ever.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I like the tapir men who herd non-sentient humans around for food

Sounds like something out of Bojack Horseman.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Everything I've ever read about the setting of Exalted makes me want to play it, and everything I've ever read about the mechanics, of any edition, crushes my dreams.

Glorantha on the other hand is a lot of serious stuff I like for what it is and a lot of silly stuff I like for what it is, but combined it just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

e: oh right and the whole chaos magic "belief makes it so" stuff which i don't like in any context, that doesn't help

I've been reading GodBound and it pretty much crushes Exalted in every way. Plus its free!

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 17, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Donald Duck in "Army of Duckness"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I'm also not feeling the hype for SotDL. So far it just looks like "grimdark D&D with a better rule set."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I want to PLAY the small and vicious dog. :smugdog:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

My fiancée and I enjoy Rivals of Cataan, a two-player card game based on the Cataan setting.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

"I've seen characters you nerds wouldn't believe. Drow half-demon Mystic Theurges optimized to always pass Concentration Checks. Dual-wand wielding wizards with prestige classes based off of Sonic the Hedgehog characters. All those sheets will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Nearly 15 pages late but I want to point out the studio making the WoD Werewolf PC game are the luminaries behind those bad Bloodbowl games and the Styx series. What I'm saying is don't hope for much.

The premise of Werewolf is pretty much The Dumbest Thing, so it's not like they don't deserve each other.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Plutonis posted:

This disingenous 'can't believe I'm agreeing with him' crap is staring to annoy me after the fifth time.

Cry me a loving river, you tool.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Hey guys everyone needs to know that giant pissbaby Plutonis is Very Upset and is going to sit in the corner and sulk about it until someone gives him his juice box

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Oh it's great to play, that's what I'm saying, it's just difficult to write for. If your adventure/setting hinges on the idea that something is X, and a player says it's Y, then the whole thing collapses. Sure, you can say "GM you gotta enforce this poo poo" but that's taking away from the draw of the system.

One hurdle I've found when running PbtA games for new gamer is that they get "analysis paralysis" when put on the spot. Seems like a good module for the system would just approach the problem by saying "Are your players stuck for ideas? Here's some stuff you can suggest to them. But if they come up with something themselves, go with that instead."

PbtA modules work best not as "here's a prescribed path the adventure should go", but as a sandbox collection of ideas that the group can mine for at their whim.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I'm running the classic D&D module Castle Amber in the Game Room using World of Dungeons if anyone's interested in joining some French Castlevania-style shenanigans.

quote:

Right, I´m going to try my hand at this and come back later on to see how that works out.

In the meantime, I think I´ve found something cringeworthy I suppose we might get some Fatal & Friends-type enjoyment out of...have you guys heard of FANTASY IMPERIUM?

Link

Goon-favorite podcast System Mastery did a pretty hilarious review of this game. Wasn't this the game that gave ability-modifiers for gender because :biotruths:, but ironically made women better at combat?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Speaking of, are there any particularly good "unfinished" rules out there that aren't fantasy based? Seems like everybody only ever does fantasy homebrew.

Lasers & Feelings?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I like Dungeon World, but I agree that one of the major things missing are any OSR style rules for stronghold building beyond "this is how much coin you need to have a castle built." It'd be nice to include Advanced Moves that reflected stuff like "your character attracts a group of mercenary followers" or "you own a wizard's laboratory and can make your own monsters."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Eh, Fudge kind of faded from the general consciousness, which is surprising since I think it was the first free and open-source "indie" RPG to really succeed.

Isn't The Princess Bride RPG using Fudge?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Arivia posted:

LotR is the only geek thing more boring than anime. Both just suck terribly. Hope this helps.

- A Forgotten Realms Fan :irony:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

One FR concept I did like was the Time of Troubles and the idea of the gods getting kicked down to the mortal plane with a fraction of their power for a divine Battle Royale. The concept was underutilized, though; I'd like to make a Godbound campaign where each PC is an Avatar during the Troubles and give them a chance to tear down the FR setting from the ground up and rebuild it to their whims.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 10, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Arivia posted:

Libertad did a writeup of just that on his blog. It's a great way to redeem the ToT I think.

That sounds cool. Do you have a link? My Google search turned up nothing.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was ready to roll with that, but he was a big behind the scenes player for about 1000 years and they didn't want to risk a millennium of changed history or they would have had the modrons on their rear end.

Plus their solution was way funnier.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I remember years ago the guys at my FLGS put a single copy of Eoris in stock and they, a bunch of other shoppers, and I were just staring at this... thing, wondering just... why?

One guy theorized that it was made by a nerd who ended up with a large inheritance and splurged it all on his dream RPG project.

We were all amused by the fact that it had stat adjustments for Age categories up to and including "Infant". Was there some gamer out there who wanted to live his fantasy of role playing a newborn baby?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Serf posted:

In the game Prey, there's a minor plot about a tabletop group playing an RPG onboard the space station. I thought it was a pretty fun detail, and then I came across some in-game materials for their made up RPG Fatal Fortress:

there are a few GM notes:

and a few character sheets (I don't have screenshots of them all):

I like that both players had to draw in an "HP" box on their character sheets because the designers forgot to include one. It's exactly the kind of typo you'd find in an off-brand RPG with poor editing.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember being involved in that argument. In Trollman's mind, if there is a magically-created castle, there needs to be a Butthead's Beatific Battlements spell that you can look up, and backsolve the caster's level from the square footage of stone created, and so on. To just make poo poo up is a tyranny perpetrated upon your poor PCs.

"Mr. Trollman, show me on the doll where the DM touched you."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Nah. Revenants are reincarnations in 4e, not animated corpses. They all look like gothy humans and are "marked by avian features" EG feathered hair or talon-like hands. They also don't retain full memories of their former lives, just glimpses.

Ok, but what's wrong with reskinning it as "now you're an undead dwarf with black feathered hair and clown makeup?"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

And it lasted about 6 hours before he left in disgust.

It wasn't my fault, for the record.

Good, gently caress him. That Netflix Castlevania series he did loving sucked.

“Oi, mate, what this here game about whipping vampire needs is me Dick Dorkins athiest hot takes, is what. We needs a Konami code to fight the Pope, is what.”

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

So I played a D&D Adventurer’s League game at a con today and I have to congratulate WotC for taking the concept of “dinosaur racing” and finding a way to completely suck any fun out of it.

EDIT: this isn’t even an edition-specific complaint, that poo poo was just the most railroaded nonsense ever

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 27, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Is there a Promethean remake being made in the 200 year anniversary of Frankenstein

Promethean 2e came out last year. As CofD stuff goes it’s pretty good.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

hope you love some loving random word as proper nouns though, cause they laid it on real thick with that one

(still haven't gotten to play it though, because the one thing that 2e could not fix was getting anyone to actually run the dang game)

Well yeah, thus the caveat “As CofD stuff goes...” I get annoyed with WW’s Special Volcab Lexicons too.

I really think the lines as a whole need someone to come in and slaughter all their sacred cows, but I doubt that will happen.

Your choices now are “play the game stuck in the 90’s” (nuWW) or “play the game stuck in the aughts” (OP/CofD)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Zoro posted:

Preeeeeety much, yes. I once to talked to someone who was a big fan of him. We talked to 3.5 D&D and he kept finding a way to just counter any kind of hypothetical scenario I threw at him, no matter how insane it got. I don't think people who like him actually want challenge in their games. I think they just want to be able to do whatever they want and bully the GM.

So what happens to these people when they themselves have to GM?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

loss.jpg edits are just getting weirder and weirder

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Covok posted:

Apparently Frank Metzer is a rape apologist.

I’m not surprised, considering recent news, but did he just double down in a public statement or something?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I’m running Unknown Armies 3e for the first time tomorrow. I’m going all in with the “make a conspiracy board out of random clippings” and just the prep of clipping out weird photos from magazines has been fun. I have enough that I’ll do some collage work even after the game.

What kinds of experiences have you all had with UA3?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

“I KNEW you stuffed the turkey with Cap’n Crunch!”

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Bear in mind the "fighter problem" isn't just how much damage they do. Yes, it's an issue that a fighter is a lesser damage-dealer in games where that's their main function, but the "fighter issue" more comes down to flexibility. Often they're unable to adapt to different types of foes (swordguy becomes useless when his foe flies, or is invisible, or requires pewter arrows to hurt) or situations. But most importantly, many fighter classes just become... useless outside of combat. That's the chief issue, I think. When other classes are breaking into places, casting spells to teleport to places, or tracking a set of footprints, the fighter quite often has no expertise to apply when there isn't anybody that needs stabbing.

As useful as lifting gates or bending bars might be, it's not exactly a broad skillset.

I feel the best “fighter gets to do stuff outside of combat” rules were the AD&D 2e rules where at a certain level the fighter just had a personal army of dudes that would follow them just on the sheer strength of their reputation. You got a henchman Captain around your level and a group of 1st level “special forces” to do adventuring with you, and then a small army of 0-level soldiers to conquer nations and build forts and stuff.

Mechanically a lot of players and GMs hated it because meant more dice to roll, but if you could abstract it so that a fighter can use his army to impact the campaign world with minimal prep, it would help close the gap.

(Thinking of implementing a similar rule as an Advanced Fighter Move for Dungeon World. Working title: #squadgoals)

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 11, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Mostly can’t get into the stock 5e Realms because most of it feels painfully generic, the same way I feel about most high fantasy settings these days. The Second Sundering outlined that it really wasn’t a setting anymore, just a bunch of interchangeable setpieces where people’s actions no longer mattered because the reset button could be pushed at any time.

The most fun I had was a Godbound game I ran set in the Realms during the Time of Troubles, where every PC played a god of their choice and had the chance to bend the setting to their whims. The game ended with the liberation of Thay before RL got in the way and I had to wrap things up.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

The Punisher is hilarious that it still exists.

“Yep, the biggest threat plaguing 21st century USA is gangstas and thugs and certainly not crazy white guys shooting as many people as they can, no sir!”

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is why the Netflix series is good: Punisher vs Blackwater and lanyards

Making his targets more “acceptable” doesn’t really fix the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

The sad part is that I played in a game with a DM who more or less attempted the exact same thing, and by minute 5 it was clear that he was attaching all these moving parts together without any understanding of how they work.

He also was a complete shitlord who couldn’t grasp the concept of playing a character of a different gender, but that’s a story for another time.

• Locked thread