Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's one of the transition points in a long line of multi-game line metaplot prefab adventures starting with the Deadlands setting. Specifically, the post apocalyptic game that comes after it. It acts as the lead in to the third game line which is more post apocalyptic magicowboys but on an alien planet. The adventure ends with you being forced to kill a PC, or else the world is doomed and also you're stuck on a spaceship full of demons for all time. The adventure gloats about how this is what being a real good RPG is all about

To add insult to injury Lost Planet, the third gameline, was a wet fart on arrival and went nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Metaplot is bad in the sense that Onyxia always dies in the same way, and hell, the players are always expected to kill Onyxia (or if not, someone from the metaplot will!)

It removes player agency by defining how the world will move forward regardless of what the players do, when the core of the TRPG hobby is that because the world you're playing in is all in your imaginations, you should be free to shape it as you will, and not according to how some writer wants it to be.

Metaplot sucks for a few different reasons, several of which intersect in the same place. It sucks because, as gradenko more or less says, it puts things on rails in a hobby where the principal selling point is You Can Do Anything. The corollary to this is that when a designer decides to incorporate a metaplot into his game it means that he's going to be thinking in terms of designing things like adventures and plot hooks in an on-rails fashion, which means that the quality of things like published adventures suffer as a result. Taken even further an adherence to metaplot can even affect non-adventure portions of an ongoing RPG line. If Vampire Clan Nosfradamus gets mass-exsanguinated in the metaplot-adventure Night of 10,000 Fangs and then the next iteration of the core rulebook follows suit by replacing the Nosfradamus clan with something else you now have metaplot encroaching upon the rest of the game in a way that's bound to rub people wrong because maybe not everyone gives a poo poo about it or wants to play Night of 10,000 Fangs but now this entire chunk of player-facing material has been paved over for the sake of the designer's ongoing narrative.

Metaplot can also encourage designers to treat things like they're penning some kind of Republic serial and need to dangle cliffhangers and to-be-continueds in front of people by revealing and explaining things on a drip-feed. Probably the prime example of this is Pinnacle Entertainment back in the pre-Savage Worlds days, they did this sort of poo poo all the time. Every sourcebook and every adventure had at least one section that was essentially "So what's the deal with [X]? Welllllllllll...we can't tell you NOW, but trust us when we say it's reeeeaaaallllllll important, but if you buy the NEXT book in our line we might just give you the answer, wink-wink."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rockopolis posted:

Does metaplot have to be consistent or maintain canonicity? Is that part of the definition of metaplot?

In general, yes. Metaplot in an RPG as most people typically use it means that there's one true canon storyline winding its way through an RPG, with things like major pivotal events and NPC activities set in stone even before things have gotten to those points yet so you wind up with situations like "Bob the evil vampire wizard teleports away to safety, no you can't kill him, no you can't kill him even THEN, he has a super-special teleport amulet that also makes him invincible to all your players' abilities and LOOK HE HAS TO ESCAPE BECAUSE THE NEXT PART OF THE PLOT REQUIRES IT ALL RIGHT, gently caress."

So yeah, by definition metaplot is going to be railroady the same way that a novel is, it's someone else attempting to tell a story using a tabletop roleplaying gameline as a medium.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm okay with players existing in a world where there are some things so big they can't knock them over. That's not to say that metaplot never sins but I'm not sure I'm 100% on board with the alternative some of you have suggested.

Eh, I'd say this isn't really a metaplot thing precisely. "A game where your weedy 1920's investigator can't singlehandedly beat up Cthulhu and save the world forever" isn't really something I'd ascribe to metaplot so much as genre, tone, shared expectations about what sort of game everyone wants, that sort of thing. Metaplot also isn't always a matter of not being able to knock things over, it can encroach on games in other ways like "this player-facing option got obliterated off the face of the earth because someone did a thing, so now it no longer exists and is instead replaced by this other option in the Revised edition." Or it can wind up retroactively making things super stupid like how the big metaplot reveal in 7th Sea had something to do with ancient aliens out of nowhere, or The Truth behind SLA Industries literally turning out to be "it's all in the mind of an autistic child."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, mechanically speaking is it one of those games where you need hexgrids and miniatures and foam terrain and you have to track heatsinks and line-of-sight and poo poo? Because that's probably not my thing.

It is all of those things you just said.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

drat, really? I thought it was like this d6-driven system. Oh well.

Well wait, are you talking about Battletech which is the tabletop minis game or Mechwarrior which is the tabletop RPG? Because the minis game is everything you said, but idk about Mechwarrior as I've never actually played it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

triple sulk posted:

Figured I'd pop in here to see if anyone's been following the Final Fantasy TCG at all? It basically already seems to be dead in the US because of how utterly poor Square Enix's handling of product distribution has been. Horrifically boring-to-bad card art aside, the basic mechanics seemed pretty decent.

I'm shocked to hear that Square-Enix would bungle managing a game like that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

My problem with stuff like that is that it's literally not any different than saying Grumsch has a crew and they like to pillage. It's just a totally unnecessary game term.

It's only unnecessary if you don't actually tie it into the game in any sense. If there are mechanical levers that can influence and be influenced by affiliations, allegiances, and (to shamelessly steal terminology from Exalted) intimacies then it might actually be useful to note that Grumsch's War-Band is explicitly aligned with Grumsch and not, for example, something more ideological that runs deeper than that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Serf posted:

After seeing the new King Kong movie I want to run an Agents of Monarch game. Not sure about what system I would use though.

Last Stand: the Early Years

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I just feel like I have to be clear that there is no penetration given Wildfire's history, because otherwise it'd be presumed. :v:

You make one Nazi rape-machine...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Gold Rush Games' Sengoku always used to come up in discussions of "games like L5R but not," but I've never played it myself so I couldn't tell you how good it is.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

davmillar posted:

Also, I still haven't managed to play an RPG yet, but I did see the movie Mazes and Monsters. Does that count for anything?

Now watch Stranger Things and you'll have seen everything most people know about RPGs in 2017.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/a_man_in_black/status/843760929682538496

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
GURPS Goblins. No, really. It's not exactly what you think when you say "here's a game about playing goblins" though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

My FLGS has a manual for something called the Cypher system. It says on the back cover that it can handle a great many genres and types of games.

Is anyone familiar with it? Is it any good?

It's bad, actually.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

You could easily make a game with minimal randomness by using some of the various combat resolutions you see in board games like Kemet or, perhaps more obviously, Gloomhaven. The latter in particular would give both the depth and breadth of 4e-esque combat while keeping randomness to "I deal 6 (or 2) damage instead of 4 damage this turn" once every 4-5 turns. Gloomhaven dodges the human adjudicator issue by having monsters fight with a rudimentary AI deck unique to that monster type, but you could definitely just have monsters act as simpler GM-controlled characters.

But I think people aren't just used to randomness, they expect it and often times want it. Using tactical board game combat means there's a definite, obvious skill component to that part of the game, and lots of people who play RPGs may feel that it isolates some people at the table. Cooperative board games have an issue called "quarterbacking" which is basically when a game doesn't include mechanics that forbid or dampen a players ability to tell other people how to play their character (which is a totally logical issue due to the shared victory state). Now, plenty of games have solved that problem, but the fear of the Alpha Gamer is still common, especially on other forums I've noticed. Dice and other forms of post-decision randomness do a good job blurring the input-output to the point where quarterbacking just doesn't really come up to the same degree as a deterministic resolution would encourage.

I mean my personal anecdotal experience is that a lot of RPG tables still tend to have some quarterbacking going on, especially if you have players that are more wishy-washy about stuff so someone else at the table takes it upon themselves to be Lead Tactician and do things like tell people "okay Bob, on your turn if you attack that orc over there using your Lightning Beard spell then we'll be able to deal with these guys, Steve can you heal Dave?"

My other anecdotal experience is more in agreement with you, but the thing about making meaty tactical games is that many RPG groups seem to be comprised of people trying to get three or four different sorts of game out of the same game, if that makes sense. Joe likes crunchy tactics while Bob just wants to hang out and drink beer and occasionally hit people with his axe while Steve is super-invested in the story and exploration stuff, and consequently a lot of RPGs at least give the impression of being malleable and flexible enough to accommodate everyone all together even when it's pretty clear in cases where they're better supported in one aspect than others (D&D). Making an RPG in the vein of Gloomhaven, which for the record I think is a pretty well-designed game, runs the risk of encountering the D&D 4E Effect where when you lay all your cards on the table and are explicitly up-front about what sort of game it is and design towards that goal with a focus that the people who aren't into that side of things bounce off of it for reasons both genuine and perceived ("combat in 4E takes longer than I'd like to resolve" on one end and "it's literally impossible to roleplay" on the other). This sort of thing is the norm when it comes to boardgames and video games but it seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way when it comes to RPGs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Impermanent posted:

in my opinion the idea that 4 people who want to play 4 different games should all nonetheless play 1 game that barely meets everyone's criteria is not only wrong, but is perhaps the central thing holding back rpg design, period. And we would all be better off if Joe played Strike or Panic at the Dojo, Steve played a * world hack, and Bob just hung out and maybe played a casual board game or something lightweight. We don't ask people who like basketball to play games where you dribble a soccerball before hitting it with a hockey stick at a croquet goal because all of their friends like those other games.

The tighter your design goal, the better your game will be at actually doing the thing your players are there to do. If some people dislike that and want thing X out of it... they can play other games.

I mean I don't disagree at all, it's just that a whole bunch of people (I mean for certain values of "a whole bunch") have made a lot of hay out of being various shades of angry about RPGs that try to break out of what I would call the "traditional RPG" mold. Even 4E which was still about as traditional as RPGs get in a lot of ways, with the same time-tested XP-and-leveling gameplay loop and rolling d20s for everything to go dungeon crawl adventuring with your party, got a lot of pushback for various reasons which largely seemed centered around how gamified they made it in pursuit of achieving a specific playstyle and feel.

The good news is that these days with the prevalence and comparative ease of self-publishing and crowdfunding, indie designers can much more easily afford to create the game they want aimed at specific sorts of interested players without necessarily bankrupting themselves in the process. The downside of course is that it's not necessarily any easier to get people to play these games as opposed to even more D&D.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's kind of weird that I've never really had a problem getting people into boardgames to try other boardgames at least once without any moaning or complaining about how they just want to play Settlers of Catan again thanks. I dunno if it's the fact that a boardgame only lasts a couple-few hours at most while the assumption is you'll be locked into an RPG campaign forever or if it's just a (sub)cultural difference surrounding the two hobbies or what but I've rarely had a time where I brought a new game to boardgame night and was met with dug-in heels.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Board games last hours, tabletop RPGs last months.

While that's true, and I even bring that point up, the fact is that there's more to it given that people can and will play D&D for years and sometimes even decades without end, the same game over and over even in different campaigns or with different groups, while I'm fairly certain that barring the occasional chit-and-hex wargame if you told most boardgamers that they'd have to play the same game without any variation for the same length of time they'd absolutely hate it. Even beyond the general playtime scale difference between the two, the RPG side of tradgaming seems a lot less eager on average to try new games as opposed to sticking with a single game or very small pool of games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cartoon Violence posted:

So, according to the thread rules this is a place where I can ask a question like this.

I've made a Tabletop RPG. It's mechanically completely finished. And the lore is also completely done, but not all written down yet. I've played through two campaigns using the setting and system with my little group. I'm not looking to sell it, at least not right now. I was wondering, what should I do if I wanted to share this game with goons, or maybe get feedback on how to finish it? Is there a thread for that? Thanks in advance for any answers.

This thread is as good as any, go for it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cartoon Violence posted:

Alrighty, I'll happily use this thread since it seems casual.

Shadow's Edge is a Tabletop RPG based in the future of an alternate timeline where a supernatural conspiracy wiped out Earth's governments in the mid 90's. When making the setting I took elements from just about everything nerdy I've enjoyed over the years and did my best to make a consistent, believable setting with futuristic technology and high fantasy concepts. Just about any possible character concept you can think of will likely have lore and mechanics in place to make that character possible. The setting mostly takes itself super seriously, but the players are meant to just enjoy the monsters and cyborgs fighting. I tend not to do much to obfuscate what my inspirations for certain aspects are, but I wanted that to be part of the fun, like a more down-to-earth Dungeons: The Dragoning

Characters are high-power and you can expect a Character to grow in influence and strength at about the same pace a 4e D&D character does.

I hesitate to call it "rules-light", because even though the combat tries to take strategy into account, I wanted everything to feel easy-to-follow and fun first and foremost.

The game features 74 Playable Races / Species and 32 Classes (Probably double that if you count Sub-classes).

The base stats system is very very loosely based off of GURPS, but the combat itself is more "everyone takes turns saying how their character finds new and unique ways to kill ridiculous bad guys". GM Fiat plays a large role, but I more want the GM and players to work together to tell a fun story, much like the ___ World games.

How should I go about sharing my game? Just post everything I've ever made in a big zip file? Or would that be too TL;DR? Should I just post about the aspects in increments in effortposts with relevant files included? I'm looking for feedback and help "finishing" it, but I also want to just share my creation with you all, especially since I don't ever plan on selling it, but having it completed would mean in the future I could just post it for everyone for free.

I mean if you feel like sharing the whole thing then setting up a dropbox would be the way to go, if anybody downloads it and gets overwhelmed then hey, that's on them. You can make effortposts too if you want though. This thread or the game design thread are fine for soliciting feedback, either one, and to be honest this thread isn't high traffic enough that you're in any danger of drowning discussions out or anything.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

slap me and kiss me posted:

Speaking of sharing, I've just finished and posted rev 004 of my post-apocalyptic fantasy game, featuring kung-fu grip, and a brand new character creation system.

You might want to take a look at this if...

... you enjoy tactical combat, but dislike having nothing to do in between taking your turns;
... you enjoy gradated success in modern games like Fate and Dungeon World, but want a tactical component to your gameplay;
... you like the character building of D&D 4e, but dislike the item treadmill and fiddly feat choices; and
... you like the simplicity of D&D 5e's advantages and disadvantages ... but 5e

Download the GM content for Playtest 004
Download the Player content for Playtest 004

Heads up but the link that says it's for the player guide just gives you the GM packet instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

Is Strike! still SA's darling or has it gone the way of 13th Age? If the later, how so?

I mean people still play and talk about both so this seems like a weird question.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

13th Age kind of went from the "everything is perfect, successor to 4e's legacy" to "It's an okay game with flaws and I have trouble working myself up to play it" when it comes to general mood. Curious if Strike! is still the former.

People saying that 13th Age was a "4E successor" were frankly pretty off-base as it isn't even a little bit similar to 4E imo so if anybody approached it thinking "well I liked 4E, clearly I'll enjoy this" and got unenthused for it that could very well be a reason why. I don't really read the 13th Age thread so maybe it's full of people suffering from elfgame malaise but I remember hearing that it had some recent and/or upcoming releases that fans of the game seemed pretty excited about like a Glorantha 13th Age thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't really feel like Strike! scratches the 4E itch for me in all the ways I'd like it scratched but I would absolutely consider it to be a vastly superior "pretty quick-playing game with grid combat rules" to Savage Worlds which I played a shitload of back with my last tabletop gaming group and which I came to find incredibly unsatisfying both due to characters all feeling quite samey and the actual tactical combat portion of things being fairly shallow as well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

starkebn posted:

Sounds pretty close to the mark for Rey, no matter how you fluff the backstory. She's like, 16-18 and kicks arse at everything.

But if you give her a dick then she's basically Luke Skywalker, backwoods farmboy from Planet Sticksville who goes on to discover that his dad was actually Kickass Pilot McSpaceknight, rescues a princess from a space fortress, then turns around and blows up said space fortress with his incredible starfighter piloting skills (and maybe his innate space magic because he's Just That Special) which he learned shooting space varmints, and nobody felt compelled to write a dozen clickbait articles about how Luke Skywalker is the original Mary Sue.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

starkebn posted:

Maybe Luke is too, but it's also a matter of degrees. All Luke really manages to do is fly an X-Wing (which I agree should be beyond a farm boy) and trust the force to pull the trigger at the right time. Guess what, Star Wars sucks and the writing is bad to horrible for almost the entire seven films I've seen. I'm not defending Luke -or- Rey, but I don't think Rey is worse because she's a female it's because she's plainly a loving Mary Sue to a degree above.

She's not a degree above in Star Wars terms is the point. She fits right in line with what's expected of a Star Wars protagonist but for some weird reason everybody decided to make a way bigger deal about it than it deserved.

e; and are still making a bigger deal about it than it deserves apparently.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

needing to buy 3 core sets lol. 2 is like, """"understandable""" but 3 is outrageous

Wait seriously? What the gently caress FFG

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

With 7 factions in the core set this does not surprise me at all, after talking to some locals who playtested.

Hmmmmmmm nah, I'm gonna stick with my gut reaction that FFG probably could have found a way to not try and milk three coreset purchases out of completionists and competitive players. They've been doing this sort of "oops you really need to buy two cores" with all their LCG stuff like Android and Arkham Horror so I guess this is the next logical step.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

I didn't say that's not what was going on, but okay. There's just a lot of cards for each faction. And most of their competitive LCGs have needed 3 core sets, I think Star Wars was the only exception. Maybe Conquest didn't?

I'm simply saying that "there's seven factions" isn't really an ironclad reason why it was literally physically impossible for them to actually put a full set of the core set's cards in the core set. The FFG thread is full of people offering excuses ranging from "well it's still cheaper than a CCG habit" to "FFG wants ~card diversity~ in the core set" none of which are incompatible with not making people buy multiple sets, generating a bunch of redundant waste in the process. It's pretty transparently a money grab.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

On the immediate side of things, LCGs don't tend to have real competitive scenes until the end of the first full cycle, at the very least, because deck diversity is so drat awful, so if you want 3 core sets, you don't need to buy them all at the same time.

I'm not sure "you can spread out your being milked for cash in exchange for a handful of cards and a bunch of redundant poo poo you can't even give away" really makes it better tbh.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If I'm gonna buy 3 cores I hope the spread is like GoT, where you only ended up with extra neutral cards and didn't end up with a bunch of doubles for the houses. Netrunner was insanely bad, the third core got you, what, a dozen cards? Maybe less?

It was more than a dozen, but there was also tons of leftover stuff that you had no real reason to keep because having 6 copies of Sure Gamble or Ichi 1.0 is completely pointless in a game where the most you can have in any deck is 3, where anyone else who owns a core set will already have 3 of them themselves so giving them away is equally pointless, and of course there's no secondary market because why would there be one? It also didn't help that a lot of the stuff that got shortchanged in the Android core was the stuff that once you knew even a little bit about the game you knew that you wanted as many copies of as possible like Desperado, Aesop's Pawnshop, Astroscript Pilot Program, Yog.0, Datasucker, etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

sounds like the only rational response to a business model like that is not to buy in at all

In theory LCGs are a step up from CCGs in that there's no random distribution and no crazy secondary market shenanigans, you buy a pack and you know what it has, and in fairness the expansions don't generally do the same "gotta buy more than one to have a true complete set" model, but FFG is fond of experimenting with ways to get more money out of people with minimal benefit to the consumer (such as packaging the Emperor Palpatine upgrade card along with upgrades to a lackluster ship for the X-Wing minis game in a $100 box set along with an enormo spaceship for a mode of play that isn't that good and virtually nobody does).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Fantasy Flight Games isn't a struggling artist trying to live their dream on Patreon. If they want my money for something then they can offer me goods and services that aren't a naked cash-grab like other publishers manage to pull off, they aren't being forced to sell as many LCG core sets as they can in order to save the rec center from being turned into a shopping mall.

e; like my objection is less the actual dollar value because I'm perfectly happy to drop $90+ on a tabletop game, it's the fact that for that $90 you spend you get the same thing three times along with a bunch of garbage that doesn't even have value as something to give away, and I'm reasonably confident that if they wanted to they could find some way to cut down on the pointless redundant waste that ensues from their model.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 20, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

I'm not really sure where that analogy came from, just because FFG is doing well for themselves doesn't mean there's something wrong with being okay at the extra cash expense to support them

Because there's already an avenue in place for supporting game publishers you like, it's called "buying their products," there's no need to rationalize a lovely business model by going "well but I do want to support them." You can be fine with supporting a game company and also fine with calling them out for egregious money-grabs that don't benefit the consumer in the slightest which is Fantasy Flight's sometimes MO (not all the time, but sometimes). It's like, I think Bulletstorm is a good, perhaps critically underrated game. I unabashedly recommend it to people interested in a fun FPS where Steve Blum says "gently caress" a lot. I'd love to see a sequel made someday. I'm not going to pay Gearbox and Randy Pitchford $60 for the Bulletstorm Remaster when it's a lazy and feature-poor remaster of an older game being sold at brand new AAA game prices after they removed the original version from sale (with a Duke Nukem DLC add-on that no one asked for), even though Pitchford has come right out and said that sales of the remaster will influence how likely a sequel is in the future because gently caress all of that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well this is my first exposure to one of their LCGs which will at some point require three cores as opposed to "merely" two, which apparently they've done before but is new to me. Android and Arkham Horror are the card games of theirs which I'm familiar with and those both require two sets to max out on everything, so when I see that a new and upcoming LCG of theirs which I'm guessing is going to be very hotly anticipated given that it's a reboot of one of the hobby's grand old dames and that one of the things they lead off with is "competitive players may have to buy three core sets to get the max number of everything" what I took away from that is that FFG took a look at the previous models of getting people to buy multiple core sets for an LCG and said "yeah but we can take this even further."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/RaySonne/status/856305943964901376

What the hell happened to Marvel? There was also this thing the other day where they're apparently asking retailers to wear Hail Hydra t-shirts.

If you dare to brave the depths of the comics subforum you can probably get a better answer but to start with be aware that Marvel That Makes Billion Dollar Movies and Marvel That Makes Comics That Sell Like 100,000 copies are sort of in a D&D/Magic: the Gathering kind of relationship where one is vastly more important than the other and the lesser one is basically left to do whatever dumb poo poo they want to because nobody really cares. That said some dude named Nick Spencer apparently pitched Marvel editorial a bold, visionary storyline that could be summed up as "what if all this time Captain America was actually a Nazi?????? And, like, the Allies only won WWII because the used the cosmic cube to cheat reality into what we THINK is the true timeline but then it gets undone because something something anyway Captain America is totally a Nazi now, and maybe always has been" and because this is comics instead of his body being immediately fired out of a cannon into the sun he was told "so when can you start?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

Two great things to point out thanks to this storyline.

1) The Nazis in the marvel universe only lose WW2 due to jewish science corrupting their perfect aryan warrior
2) The allies in the marvel universe, despite having a magic object with which to rewrite history, choose to have the holocaust happen.

So is Nick Spencer an alt-righter or?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah he's not, he's just an idiot.

I mean that's not really a no.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Saddest Robot posted:

SHIELD had a cosmic cube which they were loving around with. It exploded and took on the form of a sentient young girl named Kubik. They decide to use Kubik to mentally control captured villains in a pleasantville style town in an attempt to rehabilitate them by giving them false memories of "normal' lives. poo poo goes south as it always does with the villains eventually remembering who they were and revolting. Heroes go in to deal with the mess and during this Kubik restores Captain America's youth (he had lost his super soldier serum and had become an old man). Shield director gets a lot of heat for all this. Winter Soldier absconds with Kubik.

Later on we find out that Kubik was friends with Red Skull, because she remembered him from when he was wielding her as a cosmic cube, and has been chatting with him. He asked her for a little favor, which was to gently caress with Captain America. So she rewrote his past. Now as Cap remembers it in his flashbacks he was recruited by Hydra and has been a secret sleeper agent for them all this time. Also BFF with Baron Zemo.

Captain America, Agent of Hydra has been moving pieces into position for Hydra's ~grand plan~, he has also been working against Red Skull because he is no true hydraman. He rescued Baron Zemo and told him they were super friends which left Baron Zemo going :wtf:

Up to this point all signs are pointing to this mostly being in Cap's head. The "allies created/used the Cosmic Cube to undo the Axis/Hydra victory" is part of this delusion, the flashback says that only Cap will remember this because of the :science: they were about to do to him.

oh well when you put it like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't take this as me disagreeing with your overall point, but I think that WOTC's revised stance on the GSL was at least a little bit understandable as a reaction to what happened with the OGL wherein people basically ran off with their own game whole-hog.

On that note, I do wonder why Goodman Games's attempt to expand their Dungeon Crawl Classics line into 4e apparently was so bad that Goodman became a staunch anti-4e partisan.

I mean, not being able to produce player-facing content probably didn't matter all that much to them since DCC was never about that, and then DCC's focus on dungeon crawling would on its face seem to be perfect for 4e.

Was the writing just that bad? Did people just not twig on it because of 4e as a whole?

Most people that tried to make 4E-compatible content sucked at it.

• Locked thread