Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
One of the base set powers is giving someone the stink eye so hard they take penalties from it. A possible crit failure was they stink eye you back so hard you take penalties from it. Because awesome dice you could have two people stare down and both come away scared as poo poo if each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Noice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The penalties are combat suitable so a non combat character with that power can spend a chunk of combat weirding out strategically important opponents, and being extremely useful because of it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Trying to get a physical copy of DitV

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817638

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Falstaff posted:

I recall in an online discussion about the game one person bemused himself with the idea that he could use the system to trick his players into essentially playing the role of Pharisees, arranging for the execution of the messiah as a heretic, and he was shouted down because there's no such thing possible with Dogs - if the PCs say that the messiah is a fraud, then that means (s)he's a fraud.

That was me, yeah. And I was shouted down because it does violate the idea that you're not supposed to have an idea of which way the game was supposed to go when you're GMing it.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?238435-Dogs-in-the-Vineyard-Let-s-find-a-scapegoat

Cannibal Smiley fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 19, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Covok posted:

Like, Star Wars has the most black-and-white heroes and villains. The Jedi in the prequels were corrupted by arrogance, but that in itself isn't a complete rejection of "Light Side=Good, Dark Side=Bad" considering it was followed up by the Dark Side enslaving the entire galaxy under oppressive rule and outright slavery of certain non-humans. That'd be like saying a particular government model is a bit inefficient so you elect in a dictator to rule with an iron fist (topical!). The line "Watch as Bioware (sic) struggles to add a moral grey area to a series with the most obvious heroes and villains" comes to mind.

Thirdly, I have chatted with fans about it and the response is mixed. Nucanon has been adding in more and more force traditions and there was always hints in Legends that things may not be so cut-and-dry. However, if it's all EU, it isn't too important. With Legends, a lot of contradictory stuff got in because the oversight was hyper loose. With NuCanon, there is tight oversight and I can even see inklings of them gearing up for an end to the Jedi in their constant shoutouts and cameos to new force traditions, but that's all still EU. The fact, however, that Sith are confirmed 100% dead at the end of RotJ in Nucanon (Kylo and Snoke are confirmed something new) means they are, unlike Legends, willing to end the long line of Jedi/Sith dominating all of the EU. It feels like they are willing to gear up to something new coming out of the Sequel Trilogy and, to be frank, I kind of hope it does for novelty sake. But, it's still a toss-up.

Used the Je'daii Order (precursors of the Jedi and Sith in Legends) and the Nightsisers of Dathomir (as described in the Book of Sith) as inspiration for it.
I don't care if every thread is about Star Wars, Star Wars is great. Also, this is actually relevant to TG.

Some have pointed out that there's no mention of a "light side" of the force in the actual Star Wars films until The Force Awakens. After brief research, the earliest mention of the "light side of the force" is actually in the 2nd edition of West End Games Star Wars RPG! And that game was a major source of inspiration for Expanded Universe authors. And I think the problem is that it's very much influenced by Advanced Dungeons & Dragons cosmology. (As was the influential KotOR.)

D&D has this weird thing going on where Good and Evil are things that tangibly exist. They're tied to codes of behaviour, but they are also literally energies. There are entire planes of reality infused with Good particles--and creatures, and inanimate objects. So you potentially have nonsensical situations where a Devil becomes Good, but is still Creature Type: Outsider (Evil) and takes extra damage from an insensate Holy Mace. More to the point--and without getting into decades-long debates about alignment--this introduces the ambiguity where Good and Evil don't correspond to what we agree are ethical and unethical.

In Star Wars, this is not a thing. There's no Dark Side particle. The Dark Side just means acting like a douchebag.* This can be hard to suss out because Star Wars has a great deal more moral ambiguity than people give it credit for--like, the Rebellion are stand-ins for the Viet Cong, but have their own ethical problems (as seen in visual references to Nazi Germany on both sides).

*Except for the canonical Nightsisters, witches from a planet where there are literally rivers of Dark Side energy. If that's true, this is the dumbest missing-the-point thing ever introduced to Star Wars, dumber than a jillion Jar-Jars jizz-wailing about how much they don't like sand.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Halloween Jack posted:

So you potentially have nonsensical situations where a Devil becomes Good, but is still Creature Type: Outsider (Evil) and takes extra damage from an insensate Holy Mace.

Your larger point is correct I think, but in a situation where an outsider has an alignment shift they'd probably change type, no? There's at least one fallen Solar that I know of, Malkizid, but he's now considered a Baatezu and Outsider (Evil).

Maybe Malkizid as a Lucifer figure is the exception rather than the rule, but a dramatic philosophical shift causing a type change like that would be in keeping with Planescape's emphasis on the importance of beliefs and ideas.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 19, 2017

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
At least in 3.5, creatures with an alignment subtype retain that subtype even if they change alignment.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Speaking of Planescape, is the enhanced rerelease of Torment worth checking out if I haven't played the game in years?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ominous Jazz posted:

It also has the Phoenix Wright games, which makes me wonder, has there been an elf game that does
combat talking?
like Phoenix Wright or Dangan Rampa or something like that?

Spellbound Kingdom has a social combat system and makes good use of it, too.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Darren MacLennan posted:

That was me, yeah. And I was shouted down because it does violate the idea that you're not supposed to have an idea of which way the game was supposed to go when you're GMing it.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?238435-Dogs-in-the-Vineyard-Let-s-find-a-scapegoat

Somehow I didn't realize you post here, too. But yeah, obviously I wasn't remembering the discussion correctly, as Kestral pointed out.

whydirt posted:

Speaking of Planescape, is the enhanced rerelease of Torment worth checking out if I haven't played the game in years?

A friend of mine did a review of the game a short while ago, based on an advance copy the company gave him. He gave it pretty high praise.

Falstaff fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 19, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

*Except for the canonical Nightsisters, witches from a planet where there are literally rivers of Dark Side energy. If that's true, this is the dumbest missing-the-point thing ever introduced to Star Wars, dumber than a jillion Jar-Jars jizz-wailing about how much they don't like sand.

You mean the pools of green energy? That's not the darkside, that's the Living Force. There is little on it still cannon, but, essentially, all that green stuff is just the living force heavily concentrated due to Dathomir being so teeming with trees, animals, plants, etc. Well, not that it happens naturally. Nightsisters, from what I can gather, seem to essentially force drain it from the environment to help with their uses of the force.

If you're wondering what the Living Force is, the Living Force is the Force as manifest in all living beings. So, plants, trees, animals, people, etc. The Living Force creates these beings by drawing from the Cosmic Force, the bigger force. When beings die, their essence returns to the Cosmic Force and the process begins a new. This is true in Canon and Legends. In Clone Wars, Yoda learns this on his journey to learn how to be a force ghost when he encounters 6 ageless beings called the Force Priestess.

Now, is their "Dark Side Particles" in canon? Not sure. The moves make it clear locations can be powerful in the darkside like the cave on Dagobah. You got the reality that using the Dark Side fucks with your appearance and people can sense it. But, I don't think its ever explictly called out in the current canon as a discrete thing you can measure.

There totally was in Legends, though. They even have straight up cursed objects and some hack writers went so far as to have Sith trick Jedi into touching dark side objects to corrupt them which is pretty dumb.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, for the record, TFA does not technically say "light side" it just says "the light"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

Also, for the record, TFA does not technically say "light side" it just says "the light"

Clearly a reference to Warcraft.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The first preview for the upcoming L5R LCG came out today, and among other things it looks like FFG is resetting the metaplot to before the Scorpion coup. On the one hand there was probably some interesting material in that metaplot, but on the other hand I can understand how it became way too cumbersome to deal with both for the fans and for the writers. (And that's not even counting the recent issues with fixing outcomes!)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

NGDBSS posted:

The first preview for the upcoming L5R LCG came out today, and among other things it looks like FFG is resetting the metaplot to before the Scorpion coup.

Somewhere, a single tear rolls down John Wick's cheek.

Covok
May 27, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

The first preview for the upcoming L5R LCG came out today, and among other things it looks like FFG is resetting the metaplot to before the Scorpion coup. On the one hand there was probably some interesting material in that metaplot, but on the other hand I can understand how it became way too cumbersome to deal with both for the fans and for the writers. (And that's not even counting the recent issues with fixing outcomes!)

I look forward to buying the rpg. I missed my chance with 4th edition and FFG does good rpgs. Judging from WHF, they are a perfect fit for gritty fantasy Japan.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Kachiko is name dropped and the art is good so far so I'm sure he'll be focused on his Scorpion waifu.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He really liked that dog

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
John Wick the RPG by John Wick

it's about the badass emotionless GM murdering endless hordes of largely forgettable PCs with both guns and the greatest weapon of all: his rational mind

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Haystack posted:

Spellbound Kingdom has a social combat system and makes good use of it, too.

Yeah social intrigue and verbal combat are pretty vital to the game, too. If you want to take down a major antagonist you'll have to spend some time researching, bribing, and tricking information about his Inspirations out of the people around him. Then you'll need to get a few good digs in, publicly embarrass him, or otherwise lower his Mood enough to damage the Inspirations that make him immune to murder.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NGDBSS posted:

needing to buy 3 core sets lol. 2 is like, """"understandable""" but 3 is outrageous

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

Did anyone here back the Paranoia kickstarter? I missed that as a thing that happened, but I'm curious how the final product will turn out.

First, a goon pasted this earlier:

Hostile V posted:

Good afternoon, Friend Computer. I got my copy of Paranoia in the mail today and I found out I actually had access to the PDFs since last August. I am reporting to you that I am not happy but due to the fact that unhappiness does not actually seem to be treasonous in the new edition (and in fact there are really no rules for treason outside of "you have five GTA-style stars and treason starts get handed out at debriefing missions, probably") I feel like my confession is pointless.

Please do not invest in the new edition. Please just continue paying XP. I have many thoughts but my thoughts are this:
  • Group chargen is suited towards making everyone in the group uncomfortable due to the fact that if you take a Skill, the person next to you has to take that exact same skill as a negative. This doesn't strike me as fun. This strikes me as a mechanic perfectly designed to create legitimate Mario Party-style hostility amongst everyone at the table dedicated at the person next to you. It is incredibly reminiscent of Wraith's chargen but with actual mechanical weight.
  • Speaking of mechanical weight, pretty much everything that's new (DAIVs, terrorism) don't really have mechanical weight. Terrorists are just a blank slate problem. DAIVs may or may not exist and only two of them actually give a mechanical benefit in the book. Plus the fact that a DAIV is roleplayed as the person next to you yelling in your ear is just an invitation for assholery.
  • Tying character progression, equipment, money and refreshing innate benefits to your XP pool is not a good idea and has been rightly abandoned even by D&D.
  • Substantial cutbacks on Secret Societies and Mutant Powers to the extent that they're just kind of bland. Sometimes you have duties for the former. Sometimes you can use the latter.
  • The ability to change your skill rankings and stat rankings by burning Moxie Points for good and backup clones is not really a good idea.
  • The different tones of play have been eliminated and the premade missions are basically half in Zap territory for the most part. Pun names run rampant. Puns in general run rampant. This isn't entirely great.
  • No real rules for Treason.
  • Your Fate Points (Moxie) should not double as a Sanity meter and also a Sanity meter is not a great idea.
  • They make a lot about the fact that you've got a buttload of cyberware in your head and then kinda just leave it really open for the GM to figure the gist of that out. The fact that everyone's constantly livestreaming back to the Computer all the time is really underutilized outside of the idea of dead zones.
  • Alpha Complex just feels barren and definitely requires GMs to just come up with stuff. As a whole there are no longer any Junior Citizens and most citizens are decanted as fully-grown, vat-educated Infrareds spat out into the world to do stuff. Yes it's mentioned that the youngest age you can be decanted is 12 and then you can get an education. Nothing is really made of this.
  • Changing the old system of roll-under d20 to a d6 system where you need X successes is certainly an...inspired choice.
  • Really not a fan of the Computer dice idea which is something you must roll at all times and on a 6 the Computer intervenes and automatically helps and costs you a Moxie point.
  • I don't have much to say about the card system because I just...really did not find it to be particularly approachable. This new system has the cards take preference over everything else and playing them is basically like playing the card game Bullshit. Cards are burned to attempt to defend in melee. Cards are burned to use equipment. There are Equipment, Action, Reaction and Mutant Power cards. Everything else boils down to "pick a stat and a skill and you do that after everything card-related has been dealt with".
  • It's really weird when a mission is like "okay so this one item is a card in the deck that the characters get and all of the other items aren't".
  • There's also just a weird juxtaposition between the editions that is best exemplified by the three premade missions that are linked introductions and the last one which is an old mission that boils down to "your current briefing got hijacked to assign you a different mission (paint a corridor) but everyone assumes you're on the original mission (go Outside)".
  • Actually in retrospect there's jack poo poo about Outside. The Sierra Club is swallowed up by the Romantics and mixed into an original society that's so boring I forget the name (Alpha Complex Historical Society Something Something).
  • For real, it feels like they stripped out so much to try to make the game approachable. A d6 system, cards for powers, the fact that it comes in a box with separate books. The result is not something I would call entirely approachable. The result is something I would call "Kickstarted and it shows". Is XP perfect? No. But it honestly does flow faster and better and all of the systems are actually attached and functioning, for better or for worse. I sincerely liked XP's combat approach of "everyone picks an action and they literally all happen at once, no initiative in combat" as opposed to the phases of Card Play.
  • Oh, one last thing: the negative skill ranks. Normally when you roll a pool of dice, 5s and 6s are successes and the others do nothing. When you roll a negative skill, you assemble a positive pool of dice, roll them, count fives and sixes as successes...and then subtract successes depending on how many dice are 1-4. Considering how normally in a dice pool system you want to assemble a large amount of dice at once, why even loving bother rolling a negative skill ever considering that the odds are substantially weighed against you that you'll end up with zero or less successes?

Second, I just got my copies in the mail and as far as the quality of the merchandise is concerned, it's very good. Clearly a lot of effort went into everything by fresh blood that understands the soul of the game.

As far as actual gameplay is concerned, I understand the quoted goon's gripes, but I don't foresee having many of those issues because when I GM Paranoia games, I as a rule ignore anything that's not fun. I appreciate that most all dice rolling falls to players now on simple d6's off the bat -- the general goal of this edition is to make games quick to start and offload everything other than Story Man And Ensurer Of Fun from the GM, which is right up my god drat alley. The major issue I've had organizing Paranoia games is simply getting new people to wrap their head around the game's conceit, which is narratively overcomplicated (purposefully) and also logistically complicated when it comes to the rules of play. This new edition better fulfills the previous edition's promise to streamline the poo poo out of the nitty gritty logistical poo poo. In my mind, Paranoia was created as Fun First yin to the tabletop RPG yangs of that era. It's a satire. This is why things like the Computer Dice exist in this iteration, it's a deus ex machina device built into the game to poke fun at the cliche of a GM either forcing a plot point that goes against the player-character motivations or saving his PC's poo poo when they had a series of bad rolls and should all be dead in the first leg of a campaign.

The original Paranoias were played by tabletop RPG nerds who knew the tropes of that world and could appreciate the stark relief that this goofy came provides. This new edition is designed for this saturated modern era where tabletop games are super popular but nowhere near as complicated as D&D .At the end of the day, this edition gives the GM the best tools to get a game up and loving running with any set of people who like to have fun, which I very much appreciate.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's definitely different than the original setting with some of the metaplot hints they're dropping. Most notably, they changed the Unicorn Champion for whatever reason, maybe gender parity? That would fit with Doji Hoturi being replaced with Doji Hotaru as well... but then you have Arasou is the Lion Clan Champion instead of Tsuko, when originally he never lived long enough to become it. There are other more subtle changes as well, so it's not really even the same timeline, it's going straight into alternate continuity. I don't really mind other than seeing Shinjo Yokatsu get the shaft again, but I guess that's his sad fate as the Least Popular Original Clan Champion.

The three sets sounds annoying knowing it seems you'd be paying for surplus cards.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

needing to buy 3 core sets lol. 2 is like, """"understandable""" but 3 is outrageous

Wait seriously? What the gently caress FFG

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

grilldos posted:

This new edition is designed for this saturated modern era where tabletop games are super popular but nowhere near as complicated as D&D .

I want to live in your era

Kai Tave posted:

Wait seriously? What the gently caress FFG

FFG posted:

Important Note: Though only one core set is needed to both build decks and play games of Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game, competitive players may wish to purchase additional copies of the core set to gain more copies of individual cards. Some cards will require two core sets to collect a full playset of three cards, while others will require three core sets.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

With 7 factions in the core set this does not surprise me at all, after talking to some locals who playtested.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

With 7 factions in the core set this does not surprise me at all, after talking to some locals who playtested.

Hmmmmmmm nah, I'm gonna stick with my gut reaction that FFG probably could have found a way to not try and milk three coreset purchases out of completionists and competitive players. They've been doing this sort of "oops you really need to buy two cores" with all their LCG stuff like Android and Arkham Horror so I guess this is the next logical step.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

I want to live in your era

Just walk into any comic book shop near a college campus where it's poo poo like Cards Against Humanity and Werewolf variants as far as the eye can see.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

grilldos posted:

Just walk into any comic book shop near a college campus where it's poo poo like Cards Against Humanity and Werewolf variants as far as the eye can see.

All right I'm there. Should I shoot the owner or torch the stands first?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Hmmmmmmm nah, I'm gonna stick with my gut reaction that FFG probably could have found a way to not try and milk three coreset purchases out of completionists and competitive players. They've been doing this sort of "oops you really need to buy two cores" with all their LCG stuff like Android and Arkham Horror so I guess this is the next logical step.

I didn't say that's not what was going on, but okay. There's just a lot of cards for each faction. And most of their competitive LCGs have needed 3 core sets, I think Star Wars was the only exception. Maybe Conquest didn't? I think it did though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

I didn't say that's not what was going on, but okay. There's just a lot of cards for each faction. And most of their competitive LCGs have needed 3 core sets, I think Star Wars was the only exception. Maybe Conquest didn't?

I'm simply saying that "there's seven factions" isn't really an ironclad reason why it was literally physically impossible for them to actually put a full set of the core set's cards in the core set. The FFG thread is full of people offering excuses ranging from "well it's still cheaper than a CCG habit" to "FFG wants ~card diversity~ in the core set" none of which are incompatible with not making people buy multiple sets, generating a bunch of redundant waste in the process. It's pretty transparently a money grab.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Probably because I'm beaten down by the icy gauntlet of capitalism, but I can pretty easily justify buying two core sets for a full collection - it'd give me enough duplicates of the not-"rare" cards to make decks for my partner while still being pretty sane. Three just gives so much god drat redundancy though. What the hell am I supposed to do with 9x copies of half the cards?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Actually I'm pretty sure you'd have a lot of people never trying out the game at all if it was a 60+ dollar box with full playsets of everything, (which it would be), and that would diminish your playerbase. You want more than just the old L5R fans and Conquest refugees, after all. I've personally sold a bunch of people on the single core sets of a number of LCGs who ended up playing competitively off the backs of the expansion cards in the long run without worrying about buying a 2nd/3rd core set because they could just borrow cards from people in the area.

On the immediate side of things, LCGs don't tend to have real competitive scenes until the end of the first full cycle, at the very least, because deck diversity is so drat awful, so if you want 3 core sets, you don't need to buy them all at the same time.

Countblanc posted:

Probably because I'm beaten down by the icy gauntlet of capitalism, but I can pretty easily justify buying two core sets for a full collection - it'd give me enough duplicates of the not-"rare" cards to make decks for my partner while still being pretty sane. Three just gives so much god drat redundancy though. What the hell am I supposed to do with 9x copies of half the cards?

This part does suck, yeah. I really wanna see what the card spread is for singletons/etc.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 20, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If I'm gonna buy 3 cores I hope the spread is like GoT, where you only ended up with extra neutral cards and didn't end up with a bunch of doubles for the houses. Netrunner was insanely bad, the third core got you, what, a dozen cards? Maybe less?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Admit I'm pretty leery of them having 7 factions in one box. I mean, I get it from a marketing standpoint, but it kind of wrecks the whole "choosing one faction and sticking with it" notion that's kind of been a mainstay of the CCG.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Admit I'm pretty leery of them having 7 factions in one box. I mean, I get it from a marketing standpoint, but it kind of wrecks the whole "choosing one faction and sticking with it" notion that's kind of been a mainstay of the CCG.

I don't think it's marketing as much as the distribution model. It's not like there's a singles market for LCGs, so you'll be buying cards for every faction anyway, so making people buy 7 starters to get all the clans instead of one box would be kinda lame.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

On the immediate side of things, LCGs don't tend to have real competitive scenes until the end of the first full cycle, at the very least, because deck diversity is so drat awful, so if you want 3 core sets, you don't need to buy them all at the same time.

I'm not sure "you can spread out your being milked for cash in exchange for a handful of cards and a bunch of redundant poo poo you can't even give away" really makes it better tbh.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If I'm gonna buy 3 cores I hope the spread is like GoT, where you only ended up with extra neutral cards and didn't end up with a bunch of doubles for the houses. Netrunner was insanely bad, the third core got you, what, a dozen cards? Maybe less?

It was more than a dozen, but there was also tons of leftover stuff that you had no real reason to keep because having 6 copies of Sure Gamble or Ichi 1.0 is completely pointless in a game where the most you can have in any deck is 3, where anyone else who owns a core set will already have 3 of them themselves so giving them away is equally pointless, and of course there's no secondary market because why would there be one? It also didn't help that a lot of the stuff that got shortchanged in the Android core was the stuff that once you knew even a little bit about the game you knew that you wanted as many copies of as possible like Desperado, Aesop's Pawnshop, Astroscript Pilot Program, Yog.0, Datasucker, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
sounds like the only rational response to a business model like that is not to buy in at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

sounds like the only rational response to a business model like that is not to buy in at all

Probably, but the games are pretty good (except Star Wars, that game sucks)

• Locked thread