Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My gaming plans for this year include launching the Pigsmoke KS later this month, and trying to start a proper weekly game which may end up having to happen over roll20 or IRC or something because co-ordinating a weekly game with people I know IRL is getting more difficult by the day.

Also roping more local people into playing Battlecon. I need more opponents, dammit, and breeding my own is just too slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Helical Nightmares posted:

What.

I imagine this to be a RPG about competing BBQ chefs or a Western involving pigs.

Sadly, nothing so cool. It's an RPG about playing academics at a wizard university.

I think there is an Iron Chef inspired Fate World in the works, which could easily be reskinned into competing BBQ chefs, but I can't remember any details right now.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

unseenlibrarian posted:

Anima: Beyond Fantasy: Someone's translated from Spanish MERP Houserules for Dragonball.

Anima: Tactics: the minis game based in the setting of the above.

Anima: Gate of Memories: Action RPG that apparently got kickstarted and successfully released, also based on the above? Color me surprised.

Anima Prime is...no idea, though I understand the rules got released under creative commons, so that's kind of neat but hasn't urged me to go look it up, but no relation to any of those. You can tell by the lack of colon.

There's also the card game which kicked off the whole thing -- it's kind of a competitive JRPG with super-cheesecake art. I have it (all three chapters!) but have never played it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sounds like a good time to point out that Talislanta had (has?) a literal poo poo farmer class. Marukani Dung Farmer, as I recall.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
That kind of reminds me of 13th Age's 'campaign loss' system, which I like a lot. Like, sure, you can take a long rest after every encounter -- but every time you do the world gets worse and worse.

When the Plot Armour sign is up, PCs don't die but their failures are reflected in the world at large, and NPCs can't be killed but the PCs can improve the world by wailing on them anyway.

Or something.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kwyndig posted:

Well it's Unity... but apparently nobody who worked on PFO had any idea how Unity worked.

...I have no idea how Unity works, but I knew how to do raycasting LOS after about ten hours of poking. Like, that's not even 'didn't know Unity'. That's 'how do I turn on glowing box'.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
There were a couple of sorta-isometric Dark Sun RPGs back in the 90s.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I like Blades in the Dark for heisting, even though the game of it I ran kind of petered out and went nowhere.

But in that vein Dusk City Outlaws is Kickstarting now and looks to be a similar sort of idea.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Mr.Misfit posted:

But in what way exactly? Is metaplot bad when it means that you have a continuous story with a single story path that forces the GM to adapt as needed?
Or is it only when a combination of factors means that you are watching railroad the tabletop rpg?

I think Evil Mastermind covers it pretty well in his intro to his The Unity review.

Basically, a combination of having to buy everything to understand what's going on, and having the big changes invalidate the play of any given group. And mega-railroading.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

I’m looking to make a list of all the rpgs and rpg supplements that tackle the subject of base building, domain management or organization building.

So what am I missing from this list?

Exalted springs to mind.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Now I'm thinking about it, Rules Cyclopedia D&D had rules for establishing a stronghold as well, didn't it?

There are loads of god games that handle domain management in a sorta kinda way: Godbound, Gods and Monsters, Mystic Empyrean, Nobilis...

Chuubo's would let you build a base if you took the right quests for it. I think.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Great responses so far guys.

I don't recall base building in Exalted. Is that in the newer edition or is my memory flawed?

I know the Mandate of Heaven rules were in 2nd edition somewhere. Can't remember if there was anything about it in 1e, and I'm not familiar with 3e so I couldn't speak to that.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Simian_Prime posted:

We were all amused by the fact that it had stat adjustments for Age categories up to and including "Infant". Was there some gamer out there who wanted to live his fantasy of role playing a newborn baby?

You can play hypercompetent six-year-olds in Burning Wheel.

Also, this is the only circumstance under which I'd play Burning Wheel again.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Plutonis posted:

Can someone tell me whay games are there where you play as a Goblin or maybe even as a HobGoblin

Goblin Quest is gold.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

starkebn posted:

Alternatively, no set needs multiple box purchases because FFG writes the rules and packages the product

It's basically this. FFG could have put the extra cards in the base set. Maybe it would have jacked the price a bit. But instead they thought they'd gouge anyone who wants to play the game 'seriously' to the tune of three boxes.

So... that'll be another LCG I take a pass on.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Plutonis posted:

What tabletop rpg slash board game will you be playing today on Columbine, Adolf Hitler, Devil Weed day?

Probably case four in Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective. So far it's been... bad.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't take this as me disagreeing with your overall point, but I think that WOTC's revised stance on the GSL was at least a little bit understandable as a reaction to what happened with the OGL wherein people basically ran off with their own game whole-hog.

The problem was that WotC's approach to the GSL was incoherent. At GAMA, the April before 4e was due to be released at Gencon (I forget the year), they had a panel about the 'new OGL' since it didn't have a name yet and couldn't answer anyone's questions. Four months out from launch they had no answers to the questions that all the 3PPs had been asking them since the announcement of the new edition. It was ridiculous.

They also got in touch with some of the big producers of 3e content and tried to sell them early access to the 4e products and GSL, so they could have products ready for launch. I believe exactly 0 people took them up on it, because it was a terrible idea. They wanted a lot of money for the privilege.

quote:

On that note, I do wonder why Goodman Games's attempt to expand their Dungeon Crawl Classics line into 4e apparently was so bad that Goodman became a staunch anti-4e partisan.

Because the first few modules they put out were quite blatantly 3e modules with 4e stats hastily crammed in. And, as people very rapidly found out -- including WotC, let's be honest -- with 4e it was a lot harder to hide half-assed products and bad design than it had been for 3e. You needed to design for fourth edition rather than just stick stats on whatever idea you had. I suspect Goodman's early foray into 4e crashed and burned and left them blaming the new product rather than their own shortcuts.

Basically this:

thefakenews posted:

[T]he kinds of adventures their writers produce would not easily fit into 4E without a change in approach to adventure design.

Combined with an unwillingness to change their ways.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'd forgotten about the GSL exclusivity clause, but yeah, that was also some bullshit. And you're making some good points about Goodman Games's situation -- I should probably be more charitable.

That said, not long after 4e was released I was trying to get freelance RPG writing gigs so I hied myself to Gencon and asked at the Goodman Games booth about writing for them. The guy I spoke to asked me "What's special about 4e?" and I didn't have an answer for him -- I thought at the time he was screening for suitable writers (fair enough), but with hindsight I wonder if he even had an answer himself.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Drone posted:

Word on the street is the next Bundle of Holding in about a half-hour will be 13th Age.

https://twitter.com/BundleHolding/status/861626751247634433

On the one hand, that's annoying because I paid full price for Eyes of the Stone Thief just a couple of days ago. On the other hand, maybe this'll make rounding up players easier.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Darth Various posted:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/13thAge2017
Yeah. What's funny is that it just got finished in FATAL and Friends, and the verdict wasn't that good. But at 33$, it's tempting.

Yeah, the F&F is what got me interested in it again. Like, yeah, it's a hot mess... but I'm sure I could do something good with it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
This woman fed 365 D&D spells into a neural network and generated some new ones.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

theironjef posted:

Written language that works in pitch darkness. Makes sense as an underground written language to me.

It's worth noting that when this was conceived there was no such thing as 'darkvision' -- it was infravision all the way, and the general consensus at TSR was that you couldn't read with heat vision so any underdark races which liked books would have to come up with light sources.

Then some bright spark came up with Braille for illithids (in the aforementioned Illithiad, as I recall) and it stuck even after the game-mechanical reason for its existence disappeared.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I have a copy of A|State which I bought years ago but I've never played it. I'm told its very good but it always seemed to have the 'but what do you do?' issue.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Andrast posted:

You definitely can't tell in my games because my planned stuff is just as half-assed as my improvised stuff

Preach it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, I remember that a long while back, I don't know what thread, there was discussion about how certain monsters in D&D shouldn't be handled as a tactical combat encounter, but as puzzles. For example, facing the Medusa in her lair. Does anyone know of any good advice on implementing that, or games that actually do it? (But, preferably, without that being the entire game?)

I believe Fellowship does this with its set pieces.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Covok posted:

Zak S is working on it isn't he?

Not yet, as far as I know.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

AlphaDog posted:

Is there a game that's otherwise similar to the dungeon crawl-ish D&D/pathfinder/OSR vibe*, but where each player's "character" is a small (2-4 character) team instead of an individual? Preferably with rules that do something with the concept, as opposed to being basic D&D but everyone gets 3 PCS or whatever.

Joke answer: Goblin Quest

Honest answer: I don't know any games that do what you're talking about but now I want to design one.

Also you should play Goblin Quest.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

AlphaDog posted:

I didn't mean "you play one character and have a pool of redshirts to expend", although that sounds cool too.

Yes, D&D with multiple PCs per player would mean really long and annoying turns, but that's not what I was asking about. I was thinking in terms of the party being a sort of platoon arrangement and each player taking the role of a squad leader and squad. That is, you wouldn't be controlling multiple individual D&D characters with their own move sets and multipage character sheets. You'd be controlling a 4-person squad which has its own "character sheet" and move set.

I get the "makes roleplaying harder" thing, sort of. That's a big part of the reason I asked if such a game existed - I wanted to see how it was done.

I've been having a think about this. I'm thinking maybe something like a zoom-in-zoom-out sort of arrangement, where you play a single member of your squad when you're 'zoomed in' for roleplaying scenes, stuff like that, and then through some sort of mechanical wizardry you make the squad an aggregate of its individuals and play as the whole bunch for dungeon exploration, combat, etc.

There's the germ of a good idea in there somewhere, I'm sure. I just don't know what it is.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

gradenko_2000 posted:

which RPGs do model melee combat realistically?

Tangential to your request because it's a card game, but Audatia is modelled on and intended for use as a teaching aid in medieval longsword fighting.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Rand Brittain posted:

Rules clarity was definitely an important part of the process when designing Chuubo, and you certainly aren't expected to have read Nobilis (honestly, they aren't at all similar in practice, at least to me).

Everything Jenna writes is as clear as she was able to make it. If it doesn't work out for a lot of people, it's because Jenna's idea of what constitutes a logical order of information is really different from most people. She tends to see everything as part of a single "flow" of book and I'm not sure that it works out if you try to read it like a White Wolf splatbook.

Having run Chuubo, I'd say that while I found the book very clear it felt an awful lot like I was still missing a huge chunk of information and that information was someone's entire life. Like, poring over Nobilis and Hitherby Dragons* helped me understand Chuubo in the sense that it helped me understand Jenna's outlook and approach to writing games, and I felt like the more I knew about that the more I could see of the big picture that Chuubo was giving me a letterbox into.

*I also pored over Unclean Legacy, but mainly because I loving love Unclean Legacy.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This isn't quite the same because by the time I got to them they had been published (I just couldn't afford them) but as a kid I was always really annoyed that the AD&D 2E Monster Manual was littered with references to spells that weren't in the Player's Handbook.

That was standard marketing practice for Sword and Sorcery (WW's D&D imprint) back in the early days of 3.0: the monsters in the monster books would have spell-like abilities that referenced the magic books, the magic books would reference the setting books, the adventures would have links out to other adventures...

Although that said, there were some properly good ideas in those monster manuals. The mechanical execution was almost always garbage, but the ideas were great.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

gradenko_2000 posted:

I tried my hand at creating a FantasyCraft character:

So did I, some time ago:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609987&userid=188512#post427288786

I loved that thread an awful lot.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I had no idea who was behind Sage Advice until now, but in my group in 1999 or so we would frequently consult that column and do the exact opposite of what it said, safe in the knowledge that that was the better option. Worked pretty well.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Angrymog posted:

Another query, apart from the various Pathfinder Adventure Paths, the D&D 5th books, and the Great Pendragon Campaign, what else is there out there in there way of big, ready made campaigns?

There were loads and loads for various kinds of D&D -- The Night Below, Temple of Elemental Evil, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, the GDQ series, and I'm not even scratching the surface here. I've seen a couple for the 40K RPGs, a few for various incarnations of Savage Worlds (like that one where you're supervillains fighting an alien invasion), the terrible horrible Abandon All Hope which is being dismantled in F&F at the moment, the Freiburg boxed set for 7th Sea (1st edition)...

There are craptons, is what I'm saying. Are you looking for anything in particular?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

hyphz posted:

What are they looking for/hoping for?

Speaking as a terminal PBP flake, I want to do more gaming than I even remotely have time for. The idea of a game I can post in in my free time here and there (or at work) is great but inevitably I hit a part where life goes crazy or I run out of ideas and don't post for a week, and once the momentum's gone that's it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

LongDarkNight posted:

Sweet Christmas, one of my buddies has hardon to run a Champions game and I'm reading the 6th edition rules now. There is so much math and so many modifier and rules that my brain shut down so hard I thought I had a stroke. I just want to make an opossum with Duplication powers whose alter ego is the hero Multipossity, why is this so difficult.

I once thought I'd run a Champions game, then Mutants and Masterminds was released and I never looked back.

I did once play a Champions game, and it took the full four hours to resolve one pointless skirmish in the middle of nowhere. It's a terrible system.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Plutonis posted:

What's the theoretical playtime that someone with the entire lineup of a D&D edition would need for that to be true?

I just skim-read a list of all WotC D&D 3.5 books (including adventures) and there were about 100. Assuming an average price of £15 per book, which is what I vaguely remember paying for them, we're looking at £1500.

That's enough for 125 trips to the cinema (about £12 a ticket) so about 250 hours of big-screen entertainment.

If you play a weekly campaign of four-hour sessions, you're looking at 62.5 sessions, or slightly more than a year.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Plutonis posted:

Jesus Christ those are some expensive tickets in Britain

Yes. You can probably get better deals at the tiny indie places -- much like with roleplaying games.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Countblanc posted:

I basically can't think of anything I want to do more than that, but I doubt I'd get to play Pendragon anyway and I'm firmly in the "buy it only if you'd play it" camp

:same:

'Ridiculous anime stereotypes rampage through high-minded historical drama' sounds like a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I started whipping up a sample setting with the generators to see what they were like, and with about 15 minutes' work I had a six-aspected god, a lesser copy of the six-aspected god, two dancers in silence and a mortal sorcerer who'd bootstrapped themselves to divinity.

Also, the lamest alien race ever: exiles from their home world, they're terrified of humans and have completely failed to dominate or eradicate us several times.

And there's another 100 pages of this stuff.

• Locked thread