Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay, that sounds pretty anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Guys. Thac0 is literally just (20 - level). Crawford's system is exactly equivalent to old-school systems, the only difference is that he's a competent technical writer.

E;gently caress

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think Blizz has to challenge the use of their assets, because otherwise they risk forfeiting them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Much like the characters in recent Fire Emblem games all of the Overwatch characters are very obviously pandering to fetishes.
Liking butts is an all-out fetish now? :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I just can't get it up unless my partner is a stock character.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ettin posted:

Ya boy Ettin is moving up from tabletop into video games :toot:
Just call it an adventure game ya nerd. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I use Sumatra PDF. It's pretty barebones but it's light and reads files.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For all his failings, Raggi's stable includes cool & good people like Ken Hite. Qelong is pretty neat a setting if you're into (quite literal!) fantasy loving Vietnam.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Also Vincent Baker wrote him a book about wizards' towers, that one's probably neat as well.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

In theory Paradox owning the World of Darkness means that a WoD computer game is in the works, theoretically.
But in practice, it's Cyanide that's developing a Werewolf game.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I could swear there WAS two 5e threads, one for grogs and one for rookies.

Edit: Found the newguy thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699468

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh huh, teaches me to click links before I post them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ken Hite's Qelong is a neat fantasy fuckin' Vietnam setting set in an actual fantasy Vietnam.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Try "MTG [monster]" instead. They've been working on making less terrible fantasy art recently. I mean nymphs are still going to be a crapshoot but this isn't awful, I don't think:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

I wonder how likely a purist Grey Box + FR1-16 campaign would be to change the mind of someone who likes D&D or "D&D fantasy" but doesn't dig the Forgotten Realms because they view it as Elminister nutting on their faces while gods punch each other out and nothing they do matters because a novel will retcon it anyway? I'm sure people like that are out there.
You just described the gooncensus on the setting. :v:

But yeah that's actually a great idea, I'd play it in a heartbeat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Hi, I spent like 3 months putting this thing together and here seems like the best place to post it.

SO YOU WANT TO PLAY DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, EH?

It might not be what you're looking for. Here's a big list of alternatives, to share with your friends.
You have 13th Age twice under D&D-likes, once in "the same but better" and again under "but more heroic". Darker Dungeons hasn't been available on pdf in ages, but Blacky's new site suggests it might make it to DT soonish: https://gurbintrollgames.wordpress.com/ Also I think first saying "all editions of dee-en-dee are bad no exceptions" and then recommending Literally Basic With Houserules is a bit contradictory. :v:

Edit: Also the "heroics" section is missing Godbound, for shame.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 25, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wait so the artbook for the board game about playing a fake card game includes a roleplaying game set in the promotional anime of the fake card game, which requires the aforementioned board game?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covok posted:

Ever notice there isn't a lot of settings based on Greek mythology despite that being the cornerstone of western civilization's culture and a shared touch stones for most western nations?
Excuse me but the cornerstone of this entire hobby is built on that mythology. :colbert:

http://mazesandminotaurs.free.fr/

Edit: Also, a couple of years back Wizards introduced the plane of Theros in MTG. You can read about it in their Planeswalker's Guide articles (parts 1, 2 and 3) and in a duology of bad ebook novellas.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 1, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...Well, what do they do? I've no idea what "skill attack" would mean.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I wonder how easy it would be to hack Godbound into a Magic: The Gathering game. Planeswalker powers are pretty ridics after all.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They've also released similar supplements for Innistrad and Zendikar.

It's a bit curious how they've only started making D&D stuff only now. A couple of years back someone hypothesized that Wizards didn't want to cross the streams because D&D supplements might gently caress with the creative team on Magic's end, which sounded reasonable enough. Guess now that D&D team is like one writer and a juror, and the Magic creative is writing big fancy setting artbooks anyway, someone in the Magic team figured they could just brew something up in-house to sell more stuff to D&D nerds.

Darth Various posted:

An Amber hack already exists, and that's vaguely related?
I'm not at all familiar with Amber, other that it's diceless and very storygamey. Is there an F&F about it?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On the one hand I feel you, but on the other, eh, I dunno. I mean, it's not like the D&D rules are a particularly good fit for the setting in the first place, y'know? The Art of Magic: Kaladesh is gonna move way more copies than D&D: Kaladesh ever could, and probably can fit more setting detail to boot without all the rules and numbers getting in the way.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you added a couple of prestige classes, feats, equipment and two dozen spells, you'd have a classic third edition D&D supplement. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They haven't done Magic tie-in novels for years now (because they didn't sell, natch), but basically yes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Reene posted:

today I left a local facebook group for trading/selling magic the gathering cards after posting a giant box of random cards I wanted to sell and getting a bunch of creepy replies in return

I know we don't usually talk about magic itt but I'm feelin kinda salty and upset about it
For any cards Lightning Lord doesn't want, you could try the SA Mart Magic thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

New set even has a kitty-god!

Kitty-god's card hasn't been revealed yet. April fools!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Like this? http://www.ultimateguard.com/en/boxes-cases/flip-n-tray/flip-n-tray-mat-case.html

Can't promise it'll hold a bigass wargaming playmat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The whole point of the setting is "mormonism might actually be weird and creepily absolutist".

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I suddenly feel that even though I'm about to buy into Magic, I could be making worse financial decisions involving card games. :smaug:

I wonder if the core singletons will again be some of the best cards in the game?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If people complain but nonetheless buy the product, they have very little incentive to change their ways. It's almost as if they're holding their own game hostage. "Don't want to buy this product? Then we'll just cancel the entire line because obviously if the core set doesn't sell nobody wants this game!"

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I can't sincerely hate a setting where a pivotal NPC is named Oh Really Jones.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I seem to recall they also didn't include enough dice in the X-Wing starter to actually roll attacks?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Millar's Communist Batman wasn't much better.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of comics always being bad and selling and reboots: https://spacetwinks.itch.io/the-problems-with-comics

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Slack is IRC for hip IT companies.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Care to link to the boardgoon discord?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covok posted:

Can I be the first to say Looka-Laylee did the same for me and collect-a-thon 3-D platformers?
Yooka-Laylee. It's a pun. Because it's a followup to Banjo-Kazooie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You keep writing it with an L.

• Locked thread