Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ominous Jazz posted:

We forgot the most anime game of all, Cthulu Tech.

I legitimately liked CthulhuTech but I won't deny that it had a lot of issues mechanically and in it's setting in the later books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Tenchi makes so much more sense now

Tenchi by canon ends up with all the girls, at least in the first OVA continuity

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

wondering what game to run next?

Here you go:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=827628497

Yes that is a Mi-go with a braincase.

Well you convinced me pretty well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Phi230 posted:

RPG chat

Are there any historical RPGS? WW2? Air/naval?

Plenty, WW2 is one of the more popular settings around

Also on the topic of Anime stuff, I really want a game that can properly emulate Digimon, as most existing "Mon" RPG systems or supplements focus on Pokemon style evolving if they include it at all

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So is there an actual reason for this edit, or was it just a spur of the moment kind of thing

Do note that I'm no fan of Trump, I'm just legitimately confused here

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ratpick posted:

Someone on tumblr posted a way back about using Strike! for Mass Effect. I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the series myself, but as far as I understand they're essentially sci-fi RPGs with some cover-based shooting, so it does not seem that far-fetched an idea. You could probably even hack the emotional attributes system in some way to make a Paragon/Renegade system. Maybe? I don't know.

Yeah it would be a good fit, especially since the Class/Role system lines up pretty well with the class system Mass Effect uses(especially the version 3's MP uses)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I like the tapir men who herd non-sentient humans around for food

Especially interesting in that on a metaphysical level they truly are Men, while their herd beasts are merely animals that look like men(although there is magic that can make them sentient, just as there's one that can turn a human into a herd beast)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Everything I've ever read about the setting of Exalted makes me want to play it, and everything I've ever read about the mechanics, of any edition, crushes my dreams.

Glorantha on the other hand is a lot of serious stuff I like for what it is and a lot of silly stuff I like for what it is, but combined it just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

Exactly the opposite for me at least when comparing the two settings, at least when taken as a whole(except Glorantha Dwarves, I'll admit I really don't like them as they're assholes and not in the interesting way)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Covok posted:

What's the best F20 (fantasy d20) game?

If we aren't including anything under the OSR umbrella then I'd say Fantasy Craft probably

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I was playing the Arkham Asylum series at the same time I was reading through people's attempts to do superheroes in OSR rules frameworks (note: they're all bad), and got the idea that "street-level" supers would make for a pretty good dungeoncrawl where the dungeon is the villain's lair, or Arkham island, or just the mean streets of Gotham. But I was uncomfortable with the latter idea for exactly this reason.

I dunno, I thought Hideouts & Hoodlums was a pretty good attempt at an OSR Superhero game, not perfect mind you, but overall pretty good(enough so that I'm eagerly waiting for the author to release his planned 2nd edition of the game), partly because it embraced how goofy Golden Age comics were for the most part

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If I had known what D&D was when I was 5 I would definitely have wanted to play it(indeed only a couple years later I'd see that episode of Dexter's Laboratory and fall in love with the concept, although I wouldn't get a chance to play until a friend got the 3e starter set in 2000)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've been toying around with doing something that would basically just be Saints Row: The TRPG. Make everything as insanely over the top as possible, you're shooting bazookas at rival drug farms and battling gangs of masked wrestlers and wannabe Draculas, etc.

Honestly I'm amazed something like that doesn't already exist, maybe mix in some Crackdown as well for the full Cops vs Robbers experience(thinking about it there's surprisingly few games where you play as law enforcement instead of criminals)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Covok posted:

Where? I would post there.

Also, looks like there hasn't any new big F20 games since most of the answers to that questions were the sames one from a while ago. Shouldn't be that surprised as, while many come out, most are bad.

Entered.

Guardians of Order? More like Guardians are poorer B-because I'm better at this than them. Which I will prove through the entry. To the contest. Of which I applied. Uh...:smug:

Well I specifically left out stuff from the OSR movement as most of that is pretty different than what most people think of when someone says Fantasy D20 system

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

There's that reprint of the original version of Ogre that SJG put out a couple years ago, maybe hunt that down

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

You mean Pocket OGRE?

Good luck. That edition is reselling at a ridiculous premium and is OOP.

Guess I was lucky buying it when I did then, still need to eventually get the newer version though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Basically it's like a nine dollar game going for at least twice that used, making it difficult to guarantee you get all the required counters.

Edit: Actual MSRP was 2.95, because Steve wanted to thank everyone for still being interested in his little tank game after all these years, and that was the original price.

Yeah I was glad to get it, I'd wanted Ogre since I first found out about it when I was like 12, still regret not getting into the kickstarter for the current version

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Someone over on 4chan's /m/ board(specifically in a thread discussing Mecha relevant games) just did a mostly complete high quality scan of the Mekton Gundam Senshi RPG, just need to get someone to translate it and we'll finally have a minor Holy Grail of the RPG industry properly available

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ratpick posted:

What games are there that actually have some manner of rules for character death beyond "roll up another character, you're dead Gary"?

I started thinking about this a while back because most traditional RPGs still have the idea that all fights are to the death and once you die you just roll up a new character. I know some games have qualifiers for character death (like "If you TPK the whole group it doesn't actually count for reals unless they were fighting a big baddy, but having the entire group beaten should carry some dramatic consequence") but I'm thinking more along the lines of games that actually prescribe in the rules what happens upon character death beyond having to roll up another character. Not necessarily even death, but codified consequences for what happens when you reach the point of critical existence failure where by the rules your character is taken out.

Examples of the sort of stuff I'm looking for: being reduced to 0 hp (or whatever the equivalent) doesn't kill you, but instead gives you a permanent scar of some kind; your character dying meaning that you immediately come back as some kind of undead with appropriate drawbacks; being killed meaning that you must roll a new character, but your new character already starts with some benefit relative to our previous character's power level or achievement (alternative: if your character dies in a really dramatic manner that perfectly encapsulates what the character was about, the player's next character might start with dramatically better benefits).

The reason I'm thinking about this stuff is that most RPGs are still based around what you might call challenge-based gameplay (i.e. the GM's role is largely one of setting up challenges and obstacles for the players to overcome) and death is almost always on the line in that sort of gameplay, but most games don't seem to consider the effects of death beyond having to scrap your character or waiting for the rest of the group to resurrect them.

At least one OSR game(I think it's Whitehack but I'd have to double check) has rules where if your character dies you play their ghost till the end of the session(or earlier if there's a good opportunity to introduce a new character)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Plutonis posted:

There were local demons and dieties that were converted by Sanzhang yes. And IRL there is a massive amount syncretism on several Buddhist communities in which for example the Herakles of Bactria was turned into a diety that protects the Buddha and his iconography inspired the fierce Nioh statues of Japan.

Yeah Greco-Buddhist culture was a pretty big thing in Central Asia for a long time, and it's a shame that Fantasy doesn't borrow from it more

Halloween Jack posted:

drat it, I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna hack Mass Effect into Strike! As soon as I finish 3 F&Fs, and probably rugby season.

Reminds me that I eventually need to try and get somewhere with my idea for a Sci-fi OSR game that uses a class system based on Mass Effect's(the one in 3's MP to be more specific)

It will have to wait till after the contest though since I have to get started on my entry soon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

If you want to watch a visually impressive war anime, Gundam Thunderbolt is great. It's a short miniseries, lots of jazz, and mostly about low level soldiers being stuck in a lovely war and how it's destroyed their lives. The ending is a bit of a let down but it's a good ride.

The barrier to entry is also low, it's mostly a visual story and not lore heavy, but it's pretty much the Das Boot of Gundam series.

I'll second this recommendation

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a very specific thing I'm looking for: I'm dabbling in ordering POD books from DriveThruRPG, as I've discovered that shipping to here is quite reasonable. I just placed an order for Exemplars & Eidolons and Swords & Wizardry White Box.

Is there a d20/3e clone that's POD-able that you could recommend? Iron Heroes, 13th Age, and FantasyCraft are all PDF-only, and Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved is waaaay too rich for my blood (34.95 for softcover B&W!)

Unless you want more OSR/Retroclones I can't really think of anything

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've legit never "clicked" with gnomes and I've never known where to really put them. Outside of 4e gnomes, they have the least traction and the fewest hooks to really utilize.

I had a really neat setting prompt involving some of the short fairy races lying around somewhere that I thought did Gnomes pretty well, let me go dig it up and I'll post it here

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

I had a really neat setting prompt involving some of the short fairy races lying around somewhere that I thought did Gnomes pretty well, let me go dig it up and I'll post it here

Found it, don't remember who originally wrote it(I do remember that I originally found it on RPGnet though) but I think it's pretty pretty good, been contemplating writing up an OSR variant game based on it(with some additions and changes though);

Which suggests a weird idea to me - humans as a big minor race in a setting. Here, we're the giants, and most of the world measures their height in inches (or apples or whatever). Humans live in relatively isolated villages, and walking into the wrong part of the forest means you could get a magical rapid-response team deployed to "subdue the giant".

* Pointy-capped gnomes live in homes carved out of tree-roots...when they aren't building cities (with spires fully twenty feet tall!) beside calmer rivers. They're smart, practical, and long-lived, though home-bodied and rather slow due to stodgy builds and lack of flight. Introducing urban living to a world of tiny (really tiny) villages and isolated homesteads has transformed life for the major races, putting gnomes in a far more prominent and active role than they had before.

* Bug-winged fairies sleep rough in forests - or they used to, before they could get apartments in those gnomish cities. They're fast, curious, and unreasonably brave, though ...variably dependable. Some of them make good wizards or gifted (if excitable and eager) military officers, but they're generally stereotyped as best in odd, independent jobs. Oddly, they tend to do well in politics if they can get someone to keep track of the details for them...

* Cunning, large-eared pixies sometimes lead travelers astray on dark roads...but they also have a reputation for being talented in many forms of magic, particularly an innate ability to teleport away when nobody's looking. They're also total fashion hounds, though a pixy's idea of "fashion" may be tailored spider-silk finery or a really bright, red ribbon wound around his body. Their behavior tends to extremes of cruel prankishness or hard-working, unasked benevolence, sometimes in the same pixy.

* Sprites rarely show up in cities, because they're not generally interested in them, being elemental in nature. Though they can (and prefer to) assume a humanoid form much like one of the other races when dealing with them, their true forms are little, animated figures of earth and rock, lily-leaf and water, cloud and wind, twig and leaf, or flame and embers. Though they're individually rather formidable, they don't organize beyond small band or tribes and are the least civilized of the major races; they're rarely magicians or crafters of magical items. This suits all but the most adventurous of them fine.

* Goblins lurk in the shadows of society. Gangly, rough, shaggy things, they're stereotyped (often accurately) as uncouth, barbaric, aggressive, and opportunistic, but other races will grudgingly admit that they're fiercely loyal to friends (and downright scary towards enemies). An overlooked aspect of their nature and/or culture is that they tend to learn fast and work very well with anyone willing to work with them; goblin workers are becoming more and more important in the construction of new "gnomish" cities, and some goblins want more than fringe existence out of the society they're helping build.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Plutonis posted:

There's a lot of NJPW dudes on the new Tiger Mask and the original manga/anime inspired four different dudes to take that name.

Also Jushin Liger and a couple other wrestlers that were also anime inspired

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man I really want to play in a game, but I can't find a single goddamn game that's recruiting right now that is both in a system I'd want to play in and isn't loving PBP format(I still have no idea how anyone can enjoy that format)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Superhero game set in the Golden Age of comics would be a good way to do it.

Hope that Golden Age Champions turns out to be good(as well as the accompanying Encyclopedia of Golden Age Heroes)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Drone posted:

So as someone who's been really interested in the system for awhile: how does the OSR-ness of Stars Without Number's basic game gel with the mounds of additional rulebooks for mass naval combat, cyberpunk stuff, military games, etc.? Or is my definition of OSR (just a cool relatively simple game without all the cruft) just flat-out wrong?

Does the stuff from the additional books play pretty seamlessly with the core book or does it just become super daunting?

OSR can cover some pretty crunchy aspects actually(after all both editions of AD&D are normally counted as OSR), the thing that keeps it from bogging them down like a lot of other systems is that OSR systems are usually pretty modular in nature, so it's easy to change around subsystems as needed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

On the topic of superhero games and OSR: get you an RPG that does both

I prefer Hideouts & Hoodlums for my OSR Superhero needs

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Reene posted:

I have the itch to run 13th Age again and I want to whine about it.

If you're going to run it here in a non PBP format, let me know cause I'd definitely be interested

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Having gotten to look over the Nocturne book more, I have to say that I really dig the classes in there a lot too. One's kind of a mage class but mostly relies on building a battle construct to fight for them. One eats ghosts and uses powers derived from that to fight. And the last one is a Blade-style monster-hunter-who-is-also-sort-of-a-monster. I'd throw all of them in a pool alongside the Glorantha classes (when they come out) and the regular 13th age classes if I ran a game

Mind linking to this Nocturne book?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Covok posted:

Outside Fen Shui and Feng Shui II, Exalted, Legend of the Five Rings, Tenra Bansho Zero, Reflections, and Ninja Crusade, what other games have Asian-inspired settings that are worth looking at?

Yoon-Suin: The Purple Land is an excellent little setting in my opinion

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

What would be a good modern system for running XXVc? Fragged Empires?

One of the Sci-fi oriented OSR systems could probably handle it fairly well, as a bonus it'd be easier to convert stuff between the XXVC system and the new one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

I wonder how likely a purist Grey Box + FR1-16 campaign would be to change the mind of someone who likes D&D or "D&D fantasy" but doesn't dig the Forgotten Realms because they view it as Elminister nutting on their faces while gods punch each other out and nothing they do matters because a novel will retcon it anyway? I'm sure people like that are out there.

I've been working on and off on sword & sorcery Forgotten Realms, mostly for use with Barbarians of Lemuria and Crypts & Things. Pretty much I make the gods distant and unknowable and priests that have magic abilities are wizards, like in Conan. Also the factions aren't as black and white good and evil. Based on what little I've run it's a great way to introduce people who've played like Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate who aren't familiar with the sword & sorcery genre to it.

What did you think about the setting? Do you think it would be worthwhile converted for use for another system?

For me I don't like Forgotten Realms because pretty much everything in it is done better and/or more interestingly by other settings, even the things it came up with originally(also most things or places in FR are terribly named in a manner that I am literally incapable of remembering, Neverwinter is literally the only location in the setting that I can consistently remember the name of)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Plutonis posted:

All WoTC settings suck rear end except Eberron and Dark Sun

Points of Light was pretty good, as was what little we got of the Sundered Empire/God War setting(it'll never happen, but I would pay good money for a dedicated setting book for it)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Calling all D&D bad is retarded, that only really applies to 3rd and 5th editions, BX/BECMI/RC and 4th edition are both legitimately good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a pretty well-maintained list of retroclones here: http://taxidermicowlbear.weebly.com/dd-retroclones.html that could be used as a starting point.

The curation would come to identifying which ones are actually worth playing, and why. (Arrows of Indra? seriously?)

Most OSR games are good, but there definitely are some that stand above the crowd

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Drone posted:

How much effort would go into running a Mass Effect game using Stars Without Number? And how would it work?

It feels like the "background" metacampaign stuff from SWN would fit pretty perfectly to Mass Effect -- you could base it in a sector with a cool name at the very edge of Citadel space, where maybe only one system has a mass relay connection to the rest of the network, and the rest of the systems need to be explored by slowboating around with spike drives conventional FTL. Biotics are also already present in the system in the form of psychics, so there's little that would need to be done there. VIs already exist in SWN as "braked" AIs, so no conversion necessary there either.

I saw someone's homebrew document for running ME in SWN on Reddit a bit ago, but it seemed like they introduced far more crunch than is really necessary (replaced/augmented the three core SWN character classes with individual warrior/psychic archetypes that corresponded to each class in the video game).

Beyond that it seems like all you'd need to do is stat up the other Council races and then maybe rename some weapons to sound more Mass Effect-y.

Edit: also found this guide for running ME in SWN written by some dude based on feedback from Kevin Crawford. I've not yet had the chance to play with SWN so I'm not sure how good most of this looks, but if it came straight from the horse's mouth for the most part, it's probably not bad.

SWN's mechanics wouldn't really mesh well with Mass Effect's, the latter's psychic rules are really wimpy and ineffective compared to Biotics, and there isn't really a system that meshes up with the various Tech skills from the games either(indeed in my opinion all three classes in SWN are terrible)

SWN is basically a crappier version of Classic Traveller clumsily shoved into an OSR framework(it's the one OSR product I own in physical format that I regret buying), if you're going to use an already existing OSR base to modify into Mass Effect, I'd suggest looking at Colonial Troopers instead, or perhaps just start from scratch

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

:eng101: You mean the former, not the latter.

Yeah I did:derp:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Covok posted:

Ever notice there isn't a lot of settings based on Greek mythology despite that being the cornerstone of western civilization's culture and a shared touch stones for most western nations?

Best one of those is Mazes & Minotaurs, both for quality reasons and because it's free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

Been watching a bunch of cowboy stuff lately, and I've still got a bit of an itch to run a PbP, so I gotta ask a question of everyone.

Weird West is always better, really wish you weren't going to do it as a PBP cause I've been really wanting to be in a game lately but no one is doing anything except PBP and it's incredibly frustrating

• Locked thread