Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fuego Fish posted:

You'd be poo poo outta luck anyway considering we don't share a timezone.

I don't work or go to school(or have a life in general) so timezones aren't really a big issues on my end:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Weird West is always better, really wish you weren't going to do it as a PBP cause I've been really wanting to be in a game lately but no one is doing anything except PBP and it's incredibly frustrating

And a mere hour or so after posting this I find two D&D 4e games with open slots, so looks like that problem of mine is solved for the moment

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

- A Forgotten Realms Fan :irony:

I think we can all agree that Forgotten Realms is easily the most boring official D&D setting

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Asimo posted:

Alignment is a mechanic for defining army factions in a wargame and the fact it somehow continues to persist in D&D nearly forty years later speaks to a deep intellectual rot within the hobby.

Well to be fair it's also fairly important to one of the major fictional influences on D&D, and crops up in a couple of the other Appendix N works as well off the top of my head

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bar Crow posted:

Robots won't require the labor class to exist at all. They'll be quietly exterminated.

Honestly this is probably going to happen in the real world as well, or at least it'll be attempted

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought some POD books from DTRPG, and it says it shipped last Feb 3. So I guess that means it was done printing, and it began its mail journey to me ... any idea how long "Lettermail Priority Packet" takes to get to Asia? Because it's been more than a month since Feb 3 and I don't know how to track my package more precisely.

You probably would have been better off getting it printed up yourself from whatever the local equivalent to Kinkos is

My Lovely Horse posted:

The big campaign villain in one of my games was a wizard who had spent a wish from the gods on absolute immortality and made it absolutely watertight, spending weeks on the right wording and ending up with a several page legal document. To defeat him, the party travelled back in time, intercepted the document and added "except when someone says the keyword 'slartibartfast'".

I'm guessing his immortality was retroactive in nature, otherwise they could have just ganked him before he made the wish and take a chance on the potential chronological paradox

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

Let's just take anything off the table that sounds like it should come out of the mouth of a 1930s pulp adventurer, optionally preceded by "Wily"

That pretty much eliminates everything though(or at least anything that's actually interesting in either setting or mechanics)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Now watch Stranger Things and you'll have seen everything most people know about RPGs in 2017.

Don't forget the D&D episode of Dexter's Laboratory

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

that episode is twenty years old

Maybe but it's still how a fairly good sized amount of people were introduced to RPG's as a concept back then(how I found out about it for example), and it more or less continued being aired for about 10 of those years as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

This is just a foot in the door for that 4chan monster princess thing, isn't it? Fess up.

Tower Girls is one of those things that is both really interesting but also really drat weird

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So anyone here own a copy of Mythic Russia(specifically the one that uses Hero Quest), cause I was contemplating maybe buying a copy next month since it's not all that expensive on Lulu even in Hardcover format

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Nah, you must have been rereading Seven Soldiers.

What D&D needs are some villains in the vein of Darkseid and the other New Gods of Apokalips

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ShitheadDeluxe posted:

Why does wargaming terrain have to be so expensive? I'd be better off shopping for a 3d printer in the long run.

Depending on the scale you're going for you could probably get a lot of mileage out of Model Train terrain stuff

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a pretty good place to start: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_271/8109-Red-Box-Renaissance

Mearls pretty much admits that the Essentials line was a "rollback" of the design ethos of 4th Edition in response to grognard criticisms of the game, and that he tried to make it more like 3rd Edition in order to satisfy them.

The end result was that people who already liked 4E as it was thought that the move was poo poo, people who already disliked 4E (for irrational reasons or otherwise) did not make the jump either because they already had Pathfinder (or 3e) to play with, and all parties involved were soured on the idea of a "4.5" that tried to reboot 4E when they already experienced that kind of product-line-damaging move with 3.5e.

And then The Escapist published this thing: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/writersroom/8115-Complete-Mike-Mearls-D-D-4th-Edition-Essentials-Interview wherein it's the full interview with Mearls because Macris got all defensive about how he supposedly tried to steer the interview to make Mearls look that bad or something.

It really is a shame because the Essentials line has some of the best looking books that D&D has ever had(and the size format is much better than the one it usually uses)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

Having played OD&D myself, I honestly liked it better than 3.x, even though on several occasions a member of our party just instantly up and died, like from-100-to-0% in a single action.

I think I'm too fond of the characters I create to really get into the spirit of the whole "Bob the Fighter is dead, his brother Rob the Fighter arrives" style of play. But I can appreciate it, and I'd rather do that than 3.x any day of the week.

Stuff like that is one of the reasons why I've contemplated just sticking in some sort of respawn mechanics into some of the D&D/OSR settings I've fiddled with over the last couple years(helps that several of them were already borrowing concepts from Bloodborne & Dark Souls so it would be simple to insert), so while there's at least some cost in dying, it's rarely permanent for Player Characters

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Left 4 Dead-style?

Warhammer Vermintide also does this

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

someone

someone please

why goblin

tell me why goblin

TELL ME

Fantasy Craft is a good one

Tasoth posted:

Oh hey, it seems someone is asking about misremembered RPGs. Guess I'll have a go.

A couple months ago, the F&F thread were talking about games in the vein of Torchbearer and XCrawl. One was brought up that focuses on quick chargen and dungeon building. I think the setting is something bad happened, society collapsed and now you go into nightmare dungeons to get stuff out to make money. I looked it up before and I think the cover has some kind of silhouette of a dungeon in black over a red background. I've been raking my brain for the last twenty four hours and am drawing a blank.

You're looking for The Nightmares Underneath

Cartoon Violence posted:

Alrighty, I'll happily use this thread since it seems casual.

Shadow's Edge is a Tabletop RPG based in the future of an alternate timeline where a supernatural conspiracy wiped out Earth's governments in the mid 90's. When making the setting I took elements from just about everything nerdy I've enjoyed over the years and did my best to make a consistent, believable setting with futuristic technology and high fantasy concepts. Just about any possible character concept you can think of will likely have lore and mechanics in place to make that character possible. The setting mostly takes itself super seriously, but the players are meant to just enjoy the monsters and cyborgs fighting. I tend not to do much to obfuscate what my inspirations for certain aspects are, but I wanted that to be part of the fun, like a more down-to-earth Dungeons: The Dragoning

Characters are high-power and you can expect a Character to grow in influence and strength at about the same pace a 4e D&D character does.

I hesitate to call it "rules-light", because even though the combat tries to take strategy into account, I wanted everything to feel easy-to-follow and fun first and foremost.

The game features 74 Playable Races / Species and 32 Classes (Probably double that if you count Sub-classes).

The base stats system is very very loosely based off of GURPS, but the combat itself is more "everyone takes turns saying how their character finds new and unique ways to kill ridiculous bad guys". GM Fiat plays a large role, but I more want the GM and players to work together to tell a fun story, much like the ___ World games.

How should I go about sharing my game? Just post everything I've ever made in a big zip file? Or would that be too TL;DR? Should I just post about the aspects in increments in effortposts with relevant files included? I'm looking for feedback and help "finishing" it, but I also want to just share my creation with you all, especially since I don't ever plan on selling it, but having it completed would mean in the future I could just post it for everyone for free.

This sounds pretty fun

Plutonis posted:

72 Races and 36 Classes is cool to me. I like esoteric variety :shobon:

One of those times we're in full agreement Plutonis

slap me and kiss me posted:

Speaking of sharing, I've just finished and posted rev 004 of my post-apocalyptic fantasy game, featuring kung-fu grip, and a brand new character creation system.

You might want to take a look at this if...

... you enjoy tactical combat, but dislike having nothing to do in between taking your turns;
... you enjoy gradated success in modern games like Fate and Dungeon World, but want a tactical component to your gameplay;
... you like the character building of D&D 4e, but dislike the item treadmill and fiddly feat choices; and
... you like the simplicity of D&D 5e's advantages and disadvantages ... but 5e

Download the GM content for Playtest 004
Download the Player content for Playtest 004

Sounds intriguing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

this is a reply to a shitpost from two weeks ago

Still a good recommendation though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

All this Nazi talk is making me remember the comic Uber, which while it has issues(like pretty much everything else Avatar Press publishes), it also has one of my favorite attempts to codify superpowers in a comic book universe, with lots of interesting twists and turns to it's system

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Serf posted:

the dumbest thing about secret empire is that mark millar already did nazi captain america in ultimates 2 and that was like 10 years ago

but like secret empire, it was also big trash

Mark Millar licks goats

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Plutonis posted:

They are already dying in a horrible slow way the way it is and while I think that the Big Two stopping (impossible lol since that even though they don't make a profit of comics they do a SHITLOAD out of the intellectual property farming) there COULD be the chance that it could make indies take over the niche and eventually flourish by the virtue of not being a swamp of ideas.

Nah it'll just kill the rest of the American comics industry

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

slap me and kiss me posted:

The cycle will be complete when children rebelling against their geekcore parents go to the gym and becomes super buff jocks who are really great at sports.

That last part reminded me of that Power Thirst video

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

*emerges from a crystalline pool*

my man, have you considered FATE?

FATE is barely even a game

Moriatti posted:

Isn't this literally "Monsters and Other Childish Things" ?

The only major flaw with using that game for this is that it has no way of modeling Digimon's evolution mechanics, and that's essential for the experience in my opinion

Moriatti posted:

I've only given MAOCT but I also mostly think of Digimon as Tamers, which is my fav of the series so...

You could do a lot of games for the "go on adventures and fight an evil overlord." I think a quick reskin of Battle Century G would do it if nothing else.

Now I'm tempted to make a Digimon homebrew...
It'd probably be mad jank though.

Sounds interesting enough, really if you can nail the evolution mechanics than a modified BCG/Z would work really well for that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the topic of 3rd Party supplements for 4e, the only ones I found even somewhat consistently decent were ones that added new races, as that was an area that was overall fairly hard to screw up, definitely were some interesting concepts in them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Drone posted:

Word on the street is the next Bundle of Holding in about a half-hour will be 13th Age.

https://twitter.com/BundleHolding/status/861626751247634433

That bundle has to be one of the worst values that site has ever offered, and that site already has a problem with overpriced bundles

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I forget do we have a thread for selling RPG stuff, cause I've got some stuff I'm thinking of getting rid of, and while I'm probably just going to sell most of it to Noble Knight, I figure I should see if anyone around here might be interested as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

I forget do we have a thread for selling RPG stuff, cause I've got some stuff I'm thinking of getting rid of, and while I'm probably just going to sell most of it to Noble Knight, I figure I should see if anyone around here might be interested as well

Okay so I got an offer from Noble Knight for $100 cash(plus shipping) for the books I was thinking of selling, here's the books I'm planning on getting rid of, am I getting a good deal;

Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Edition Core Rulebook
Shadowrun 4e Runner's Companion
Shadowrun 4e Arsenal
Shadowrun 4e Street Magic
Shadowrun 4e Augmentation
Shadowrun 4e Unwired

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Basic Game

Star Wars D20 Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook 1st Edition/printing

Star Wars Roleplaying Game SAGA Edition Core Rulebook
Star Wars SAGA Edition Threats of The Galaxy

The Noble Knight representative didn't give me set values for each book, but he did say that most of that figure came from the Star Wars SAGA books and the Shadowrun core book, with the rest on average being around 5-7 dollars in value

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well one of the main reasons I was going to sell that stuff fell through(me bidding on a huge lot of AD&D books, ended up getting outbid past the point I was comfortable paying), but I'll probably still sell the stuff, the money would still be nice(especially since Anime Expo is less than 2 months away and I haven't really done any saving for it yet), and it would clear up some needed shelf space for me

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Where are you located and what do you want for this? Skype is doctormoriatti and I'm US based

Sorry for taking so long to respond, while we can hash out the details further on Skype like you suggested, would a price of $25 plus shipping be okay with you, or do you want to haggle a little?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Going by eBay last sold listings, I'd like to haggle a small amount, but you're pretty close to the mark there.

Yeah I based that figure off the price on the back of the book plus a couple more bucks, I figured that would be a good high mark for an out of print but common book without being an exploitative dick like many people on ebay are when it comes to auctioning RPG stuff(seriously unless it's mint and/or a first printing I really can't see any justification behind selling any individual TSR D&D core book for more than 20 bucks except perhaps the Rules Cyclopedia, and even that shouldn't be more than 40-50 bucks), anyways I'll probably contact you on Skype later today to finalize the details(right now I need sleep)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 12, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

CoC also evolved quite a bit during its conception and across various editions. The original concept was a fantasy world based on The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, using a variant of Runequest. The first and second editions of CoC were also somewhat more dungeoncrawly than later editions.

Honestly I think it would have been better if it had stayed that way, Lovecraft's Dream Lands stuff works better for RPG purposes than his "modern" stuff, as would some of the few glimpses into the future we see in his writings

Which reminds me that I really need to get the poster for this map one of these days;

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Now I'm imagining a CoC scenario where all you're really doing is running a converted Expedition to the Barrier Peaks or something.

Honestly I've been contemplating running a game using that map I posted as the setting, while using an OSR system for the rules, and using a modified version of that adventure would probably work pretty well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, can I get some recommendations on RPGs for a friend? Their main experience is with D&D/D20 but they've also played a little Dungeon World and Shadowrun, with some freestyle dragoning thrown into the mix. I'm mainly looking for good dungeon crawlers, but wouldn't mind suggesting a few rules-light or narrative games of other genres either.

Dungeon Crawl Classics, Adventurer Conqueror King System, The Nightmares Underneath, Pars Fortuna, and Whitehack all spring to mind as good suggestions

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I can't remember(been busy the last couple of weeks due to a family tragedy), who was it that wanted to buy my copy of Marvel Heroic, cause I still have it and am still interested in selling it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Moriatti posted:

This was me, btw

Thanks, mind posting your Skype again, I'll probably message you about this tomorrow

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Moriatti posted:

DoctorMoriatt

I'm searching for that name, but Skype ain't bringing it up

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

Got an email from the Fragged Empire people

This sounds nice, might have to back this one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just a head's up, these aren't stand-alone games. They're expansions for Fragged Empire (which is Good and you should get it).

Hopefully they'll include a cheap option to get the original book as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder if Fall of Delta Green is going to have any "and we would have won in Vietnam if it weren't for the liberals holding us back" undertones.

Or overtones, for that matter.

Gear Krieg is miniatures wargaming for the Heavy Gear universe.

Actually Gear Krieg is something else entirely, it's basically a Weird War 2 setting focused on mechs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

senrath posted:

Same people, though.

I'm aware, shame it gets no love from Dream Pod 9 when compared to either Heavy Gear or Jovian Chronicles

• Locked thread