Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This strangely reminds me of something last night. Ran the first session of Godbound. Went well enough, but, seriously, it is weird when they got into their first battle with a mob of tiny yokai and managed to consistently roll 1s until one guy got a hit with a blast attack and killed them all. Sure, the Fray die kept things moving and avoided them from making no progress each turn, but it was kind of funny for a bunch of demi-gods who just did things like gift people living Golden Elephants and just mindcontrolled a local, angry Kami into passiveness couldn't hit a horde of monsters to save their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Countblanc posted:

the first thing i self-published on DriveThruRPG hit $100 in sales!! after over a year!! i'm so proud.

Link it my man

Covok
May 27, 2013

CaptCommy posted:

13th Age or especially Edge of the Empire are both on the crunchier end of the scale and have abstract positioning. Probably not as far as a 4E equivalent, but they're the best fit for your question I'm aware of.

While I would definitely say Edge of the Empire is crunchy with abstract positioning, 13th Age is rules medium and kind of losey-gosey in a lot of places.

While not to everyone's tastes (maybe not even my own since I haven't played it yet), but I've been finally getting into Exalted and their 3rd edition is very crunchy with abstract positoning. Though, it's also more than a bit bloated so, again, may not be your thing.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a crunchy game with abstract / non-grid positioning?

Like a game that doesn't do it for the sake of being a storygame, but rather because it's designed to be the equivalent of D&D 4E but adapted for playing in a chatroom or PBP.

Oh, didn't see that part till just now. Disregard my second sentence.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Discord is good, you nerds.
gently caress to IRC.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Outside Fen Shui and Feng Shui II, Exalted, Legend of the Five Rings, Tenra Bansho Zero, Reflections, and Ninja Crusade, what other games have Asian-inspired settings that are worth looking at?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tfw you ask people a question in hopes of finding a new game and find out you're such a nerd you already know about all the games people know about in that genre potentially suggesting you know them all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, is the intention is she has a 16 inch penis or is that just an accident? It's the internet so it can be either.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Andrast posted:

Maybe she just isn't erect in that picture. She's a grower not a shower.

You'd have to be an Incredible Hulk tier level of grower to go from no-bulge to 16 inch bulge. I mean, no bulge to 6-inch, sure. no bulge to 7-inch, maybe.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What would be better for Steven Universe? A Hacked Golden Sky Stories? Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine? Or some other option?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Everyone posted:

Chuubos.

Looks like others felt the same way.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

This includes its ultimate repudiation and defeat in favor of focus-grouped reactionary quisling trash whose only firm commitment is to greater quality-of-life for the pre-existing elite.

Wow. That was too real, man. God drat. God loving drat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Ahem, a Soviet Invasion. I guess it's set in the alt-timeline where Putin waxed Yeltsin, and now the EU is radioactive and America has broken down into MilGov and CivGov.

So, two months from now? 'Cept the Yeltsin part?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Starjammer just released. So how :effort: is it?

Edit: Oh, that isn't Starfinder. Guess that isn't out yet.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 20, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Covok
May 27, 2013

slap me and kiss me posted:

Why are we talking about XCom 2 here? That's a video game.

I think you'll find that there is more to XCOM than just...a video game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Welp, I now have 2 1/2 weeks to figure out that Mass Effect hack for my wife's birthday.

Do tell. Also, there are plenty already online for FATE, AW, d6, and some original systems.

Covok
May 27, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

There's a Spacemaster hack for Mass Effect.

What in the nine circles of hell is spacemaster?

Covok
May 27, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

Spacemaster is the Space Version of Rolemaster, complete with weapon charts, dozens of crit tables, and the exact same armor proficiency rules but with like plate armor renamed to be power armor or something. And basically just the mentalism school of magic redone as psionics.

Sounds...awful. Thanks for the explanation.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm probably going with Strike! or maybe a hack of Fragged Empire.

I can see Strike!, even if it isn't my cup of tea. Of course, the question becomes "does she like tac combat?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ever notice there isn't a lot of settings based on Greek mythology despite that being the cornerstone of western civilization's culture and a shared touch stones for most western nations?

Covok
May 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I got a nice bonus at work this week and went on a little shopping spree on DTRPG's sale to make me feel better after a bad day.

I now own every game by Covok, and also picked up Patrol and Hell on Treads from Newstand Press.

If you wanted to feel better after a bad day, buy my games were a poor choice.

I joking, of course, and thanks for buying them: I hope they make you feel better. Sorry to hear you had a bad day today.

Covok
May 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're welcome! It was mostly of my own doing - I had an important meeting at work that I just plum slept right on through so I had to spend the rest of the day picking up after myself and catching up.

Oh, that's rough. I hope things worked out afterwards.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Older goons who are used to having a 40+ hour job and trying to game, what is your advise to balance and budget time? I really want to run some more games, but I'm not in college anymore and my schedule is much, much tighter. What do you suggest for scheduling when all weekdays are effectively out and Saturday (until April 15th) is iffy at best? Like, I don't mean for you to give me a number as that is out-and-out unreasonable and arguably impossible. What I mean more is what you'd suggest from experience on how to budget time?

I very, very much prefer IRL and online w/ voice and I can never seem to keep devoted to a PBP for long. On the other hand, now I'm stuck behind a computer all day so maybe PBP is easier than when I used to be more out-and-about all day.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Desiden posted:

My group generally mixes a weekly game session (ideally) with pbp during the week, usually 3ish or so posts. Since inevitably people have to miss some weeks and/or game gets canceled, it helps keep the flow going and lets people still feel invested even if they've had to miss the regular game for a while.

Huh, now there lies a thought. You do a weekly game (ideally) that is recorded and posted in the PBP thread with a list of highlights that matter to the game for those who couldn't make it. This might actually keep a PBP alive and allow for the best of both worlds.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think it's just an outlet so people can quote The Princess Bride without ruining your game. Because it'sThe Princess Bride Role-Playing Game.

On a totally different note, this series of tweets by Jessica Price on toxicity in TRPGs was a really, really good read today.

That was rather insightful. I am glad I'm not alone in my confusion or experience with a TRPG nerd who tries to justify old world slavery. Points out a lot of good perspectives one should keep going forward as well. One of the most important of which is to not view things as a solved problem and not to think you trying to stop something invalidates the problem. A good, important lesson that a lot of people don't seem to get.

Frankly, I'm only summarizing things to encourage people giving it a read because it was a very worthwhile read. Go read it yourself, if you haven't yet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

That part read to me as "someone above me or too many people below me are against changing it" or "we've released so many sourcebook we can't change it without a 2nd edition" or a mix of both.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Reene posted:

let's not forget Paizo's collaboration with a figurine producer that makes, among other things, minis depicting rape and forced pregnancy

I mean I realize this isn't remotely close to being entirely on her shoulders but given her inclination to threads like this she becomes very defensive and hostile when people point out that her own employer has done and keeps doing lovely things and the whole thing has never sat well with me.

At the risk of sounding like an apologist, I think a factor to consider is she works for Paizo which likely limits her ability to directly criticize it. I mean, let's be honest, if she was going around making GBS threads on its bad decisions openly, she'd eventually lose her position as a result. There is likely more than a little disingenuous aggrandizing of Paizo to protect her own position. I wouldn't be shocked if she were willingly to candidly admit she's always quick to point out how her own company is different or better to avoid a pink slip. Like, she is clearly willing to point out issues so she's aware of them, but pulls her punches on it out of self-interest. That's my read on it and I could be reading too much into it. Hell, it could just be the classic "I know X people so I know their redeeming qualities so I know they aren't as bad as Y people on this issue even though they are" or the other classic "I identify with these people because I work for them and know them so I feel the need to defend them." The same mentality, ironically, that creates the "Not All X" mentality.

Of course, while possible, I feel kind of lovely for typing that since I don't know her and, honestly, focusing on this, to a degree, kind of ignores the issues she was trying to point while simultaneously discrediting her which is bullshit a lot of women have to deal with when they try to point out problems in anything when sex/gender is involved.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

I'm from a country that despite being third-world has a decent education system so nah.

The logic of this statement does not add up. A + B does not equal C, so to speak. The facts brought up don't lead to the conclusion reached, to be more direct.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone here ever play Sierra adventure games like King's Quest, Quest for Glory, or Space Quest? Their love of lethality and generally obtuse puzzles remind me of 70s TRPGs for some reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Space Quest was my jam.

Hey, if you happen to remember, where do you find the star coordinates in Space Quest V, by the way? Wasn't in the manual and there isn't a hint book in it like Space Quest IV*.

*On the subject, hiding the code to finish the game in the hintbook is a dickmove. "Try this item; try that one; since neither of those items are actually in the game, use this code; and since that code doesn't work use the real one here:"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

They're on pages 17 and 18 of the manual, actually, surrounding Gir Draxon's horoscopes. Look for the planets.

I knew it was copy protection! Thanks, I'll use that when I get home from work today. I actually thought maybe the horoscope had a secret in it on my way to work today.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Still, 'm glad we took the time to reinforce the point Jessica Price made about unnecessarily intellectual exercises.

Yeah, this thread did an amazing job proving her point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

I guess I don't want ignore the disagreement and move on because disagreeing with people makes me feel bad. I'm dumb enough to want some kind of resolution.
Besides, it's important enough to keep pages of surprisingly not bad discussion going. Slavery is a big, evil topic.

Toph, where does Django Unchained fall on that scale? Satirically violent?

Djanjo Unchained is an attempt by someone outside of the group to write and create a revenge fantasy for people of a group. Same thing with Inglorious Bastards, really.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Elves are a race of humanoid beings that average about 6'5 for men and 6'2 for women. They are notable for their pointed ears, pale skin, and long live spans. The average elven life expediency is 900 years with the oldest record elf living 1500 years. Men live slightly longer than women by about an extra decade on average. They are many elven cultures in the world as could be expected of any sapient species. The most prominent is the Elven Confederacy. Originally a union of 5 large city-states, the Confederacy has since created a unified self-identity for their citizens though each city-state retains right to self governance.

Due to the long lifespans, elves and elven governments often take the long view and this is rather apparent in the Elven Confederacy. They have managed to form one of the strongest economic, cultural, and military powerhouses on the planet. Their exterior success hides strong civil turmoil. The long lived nature of elves leads to a near suffocating effect of the old leading the young. Not rare in any sapient culture, but extra prevalent in their own. Ideas that would fall to the waste side in a human culture after one or two generations preserve for one thousand years in elven culture.

As such, their leaders tend to hold regressive social views and enact laws that directly contrast the interests and values of the average Elven citizen. As eleves stay hale and hardy for so long, yet reproduce at the human average rate, there is crushing economic turmoil for the young who simply cannot find work within their own nation. Even simple ideas like modernizing the military fall to wayside as some military general still prefer to use outdated equipment, spells, and tactics due to personal preference, often leading to scorn from their subordinates who feel this unnecessarily endangers their lives in battle. This generation gap is so severe that many outside observers expect outright violence to form within the Confederacy in the coming years and many, including other small Elven nations who have managed to avoid such turmoil due to their smaller nature, seek to take advantage of this and reap the riches of a nation divided by itself.

Many nations are already seeing an increase in Elven immigrants from the Elven Confederacy from those who either fear the coming war or simply cannot advance or thrive in their home nation. Initially tolerated, the propaganda from anti-elf forces in many nations, who often rally against the offensive and inaccurate stereotype of an aloof smug Elf cruelly taking employment and wealth away from "good and honest" citizens, has lead to strong policies restricting Elven Confederates immigration and discriminating against Elves in society regardless of national origin. The later development should not be surprising as those full of hate towards an imagined "other" often do not make nuance or distinction when acting out. The irony that Elves from other nations supported the initials policies is not lost on the casual observer or the Elves themselves.

Another stereotype of elves is that their are more naturally attuned to the mystic arts. This however is, like most stereotypes, both incorrect and rather offensive. Its origin lies in old anti-Elf propaganda from the first contact between Human and Elves where Elves were often depicted as drunkards and evil wizards who would steal babies in the night to convert into more of their own. While the average citizen of many nations would find the full explanation horrid and offensive, many still hold on to the overall stereotype of them being mystically attuned as fact unaware of its origins. Anti-Elf factions often take advantage of this soft-bigotry to convert new members and recruit has been higher than even in many nations thanks to the increased immigration from the Elven Confederacy.

Outisde of the Elven Confederacy, other notable Elven nations are the Democratic Republic of Arcadia, the People's Union of the South East Desert, and the Followers of the Ideal Man. The last of these notable nations, if the name is confusing, is a theocracy which shares its name with a subsect of one of the most populous Elven Faith, the Followers of the Sky.

An important thing to remember when meeting elves is to remember that, like all sapient, they are people. They have emotions, thoughts, and needs like any other sapient species. A disconcerting difference many do experience is that, due to their long lives, they can often view time as shorter than it is for other species and generally fear aging less than other species.

As a final notice, the terms "Dagger Ears", "Knife Ears" or the like are very offensive slurs that are believed to either originate from one of the human or dwarven cultures of the world. It has spread rather far and is generally viewed as socially reprehensible. Its usage has, in private circles, increased in recent years due to the rice in Anti-Elf factions. A development considered troubling by many though sadly ignored by the average citizen of most nations.

--

I can't tell if what I just wrote is offensive or not and I'm not sure why I wrote it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alignment would make more sense as a political baromenter.

Alignment: Authoritarian Right
Alignment: Libertarian Right
Alignment: Authoritarian Left
Alignment: Libertarian Left
Alignment: Center Right
Alignment: Center Left

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, to the people who play Godbound and similar God games, how do you challenge players? They have a lot of power to negate normal problems with ease. They already can make any non-specific item they need at will, have infinite money, can change people's emotions, can see everyone important to a person, among the ability to just make miracles related to their word. Soon, they will be able to make it so no one can lie to them without a saving throw and other mighty powers. It's getting kind of hard to come up with things that really put them at risk without thinking outside the box a little.

I've tried:
-Signing a magic contract with specific wording that fucks them over ("It said when you find it, not when you get it" Too bad they didn't actually learn its location before going after the Sha)
-A wordplay riddle ("the guard is inflexible, exploit it" He is a statue so he can't move)
-Socio-economic religious consequences ("you're eating up all the prayer's and miracles jerk!")
-Tried socio-economic issues but they use influence/dominion to just upkeep their effects working as intended (this is RAW)

Next week they're going to learn when you use a genie's wish to banish a group of evil godbound ruling class in fantasy India, you should consider where they get banished. Like back into your homeland and that this might lead them to seek vengeance on the capital, which they hold allegiance to.

What other things could I do to challenge my players in Godbound?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Reflections is perfect for Samurai. It's a narrative game that tries to tell a specfic kind of Samurai story: the two friends who grow to hate and kill each other.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

How would a Bolshevik heartbreaker even work? Do dragons control the means of production?

poo poo, that's actually a decent writing prompt.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199932/Red-Planet--A-World-of-Adventure-for-Fate-Core?term=red+planet&test_epoch=0

Covok
May 27, 2013

Zurui posted:

jam c.

December 16th, 2016

Based on comunist sorry usa usa usa !! Who makes this up? Not in my games and not in anything that I actually would pay money for. What does this teach us nothing but a false doctrine of hate ie Comunistic proproganda. Why do they even have this up on site should be banned.

Publisher Reply:

I look forward to an updated review from you when you've actually read Red Planet, as this provides little evidence you did.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I saw Power Rangers and it was good and now I want someone to run a Power Rangers/Sentai themed game.

Off the top of my head..

Fate Core, FAE, Battle Century G, and Valor are some systems I think can work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

literally anything can run in fate core, it's like answering fudge when someone asks what system to use

Can't do horror.

• Locked thread