Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

senrath posted:

That looks to be from the original Hackmaster which was designed as a parody.

Oh thank god

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Someone please run something that isn't PBTA or Warhammer Fantasy!!! I want to play game!

PbP or live games online?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

8one6 posted:

"You will not be employed by LFGM"

This is such a horrible idea.

Yeah, I'm betting that they're, at best, trying to be the Uber of GMs and will take a cut of whatever you make, but letting the GMs set their own price just means that...

...everyone will try to undercut everyone else until you're making less than minimum wage.

And that's not even factoring what a GM even does both at and away from the table.

US Minimum Wage is $7.25, so someone's going to argue that a 4 hour session shouldn't cost more than $29. It's only going to spiral down from there.

Which begs the question: How much is GMing, as a potential service, worth?

I don't know how you all GM, but for a 4 hour session I've already put way more than 4 hours of work into it. And I'm doing all of that to have fun with friends. For a bunch of strangers I don't personally know I'd be wary of even running for them, but I guess if I had to set a price I'd run a pre-written module (so if I had to work with multiple groups I'd only have to do the prep once) and likely charge $30/player for a 4 hour session.

Yea that seems reasonable. I've never charged, nor paid. But I have the benefit of being willing to DM.
I can totally see someone being willing to pay that for a regular, reliable, decent game. It's less than the gas I'd need to pay to get to the nearest FLGS and has the bonus of me not having to play with the people at the FLGS.

I signed up with my junk email. I'll report back when I'm rich.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 13, 2017

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So if we wanted to try GURPS, what books can be not lived without that are on DTRPG? I'm a sucka for RPG PDFs that I will fondly look at with a "one day" but never have the chance to touch

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Sweet I'll check out the GURPS lite and see how that goes. Thanks

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Very much this. The heart of GURPS is 3d6-roll-under, with a success if you get a result equal to or less than your skill.

This means that anyone with a 16 or higher is going to succeed more often than not, which further translates to the game being a tug-of-war between the GM trying to impose penalties to bring that skill lower, versus players trying to increase skills (and engineering diegetic situations) to where they can overpower those penalties.

All the other rules and books and supplements are about implementing consistent and reasoned-out penalties, but the Action - Exploits supplement that I mentioned even goes as far as to say that the GM can just as easily implement a global, generic penalty representing a billion other specific things, and simply adjust that one big penalty up and down depending on the course of the plot.

Does it make for good playing in practice? Or does make it hard for the DM to challenge players who utilise skilk stacking to try hard-shouldering any obstacle with the same or similar skills? (Intimidate comes to mind from 4e for example)

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So just found out about Genesys coming from FFG. Does anyone have much on it other than the blurb on the page? Has there been much sneak peek in terms of playtesting or anything?
I'm assuming it's going to be a homogenized version of the same dice system from Star Wars and WHFRP2 but curious if there's any big changes or cool stuff added to it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Foglet posted:

It's WFRP 3e that used it.

My bad, you're right there. I never played it so forgot which one it was

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

thefakenews posted:

I'm working on a PbtA game about 17th century monster hunters. Whenever I run a playtest, I try to give people a quick overview of significant historical events from the period and some info about technology and such (at a pretty basic level, as I'm not an expert) but I am always struck by how almost every player's expectations about setting details are 200 years too early or 200 years to late. If it isn't high middle ages then it must be the Victoria era!

That can probably be attributed to a relatively smaller pool of popular fiction taking place in that era.
Most everyone I game with wants to recreate some sort of fiction they've read or seen or played in and 1600s doesn't have a lot of stuff that lots of people would come into contact with.
Middle ages obviously does, as does the Victorian era, Gaslight era, early 1900s etc.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Uh. Shakespeare?

Fair, but even considering that, most of his works that people know as popular fiction are theatre, or film versions that take place in modern or alternate times. That or don't offer a huge insight into that time period as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

As does savage worlds. Also savage worlds skill resolution is pretty fun compared to d20

• Locked thread