Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that make OVA so capable as an anime game as opposed to something like GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds, or FATE?

2/3 of those are incredibly bad.

Elfgames posted:

monsterhearts is actually a fine anime game but even beyond settings each of those series has a tone and you'd do yourself a disservice by using the same game to emulate them. Also i think all generic systems are mostly bad anyway . also i think that any system can be made anime with the right mindset

I don't think Balkanizing games based on tone is quite the right way to go about design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually working on a game that's intended to draw upon Kino's Journey, Flip Flappers, and Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine at the moment.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

maybe i'm not using the right words but i mean it in the same way you wouldn't use D&D to play horror or romance.

and yes the anime's mentioned do have some similar themes but they're so dissonant cramming them together is really weird to me.

That's more genre and you could do either in D&D, they'd just be somewhat disengaged from the mechanics because D&D lacks the mechanical base to do introspection and interpersonal interaction well.

But you could have a set of mechanics that embraced all of those series, especially since they rely on dual escalations of inner and outer conflict (Utena being a mild outlier) and a lot of teen emotionality.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

If you're not engaging with the mechanics then you're not playing the game

Then, uh, a significant part of play in any RPG doesn't consist of gameplay, such as any time you play out a conversation.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thefakenews posted:

You've phrased this like you think it isn't true.

Well, I think any model of RPGs which concludes that substantial parts of the activity of role-playing are extraneous blubber is one that encourages a dysfunctional approach to design where everything must be gamified, and is one that assumes RPGs are basically board games rather than a category of game on their own.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zandar posted:

You can do freeform roleplay while playing a board game as well; lots of players make up a personality for the "general" they're playing as in war games. The difference between RPGs and board games is that RPGs have you make decisions about your character that affect their capabilities in the mechanical part of the game.

If you keep an IC journal for your general, that doesn't mean you're playing the game while you're writing it after the battle. That's fine! Activities surrounding actual play are fun too. Similarly, having a conversation which doesn't change anything about your character's capabilities or their situation in subsequent play is some (presumably fun) freeform roleplaying surrounding the actual play involving mechanics. And these activities aren't extraneous, of course; games should be taking them into account, because part of the appeal of both wargames and RPGs are the stories they generate. That's the other part of the feedback, where the results of the mechanics inform the roleplay.

Honestly, though, this is pretty tangential to whether D&D is a good fit for romance. The real issue is that when you try to make them fit, you're essentially paring D&D down to a pretty rules-light skill system for the majority of play (except maybe someone has Charm Person, which is... probably not ideal), and there's probably going to be another system that's been designed specifically as a rules-light skill system which will run more smoothly.

This just leads us to demanding people roll for every task, since someone just automatically getting on a horse to ride it is not playing the game, but it becomes part of the game if you have to roll for it, even if you would automatically succeed by the rules. This is what I meant by gamifying everything- in order to make discussions about tactics or plans part of the game, you have to be rolling or have elaborate speaking rules, else it's just a distraction from the game which ought to be eliminated as a waste of time.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zephirum posted:

With board games, you're using out-of-system role-playing to arrive at and justify in-system actions. It's just more codified in an RPG, so what's the point of playing if you're not engaging in the game part of it?

These people you're describing are real motherfuckers and if any of them pop into this thread I'll spread their nose across their face. But I dunno why we'd talk about them all of a sudden.

Zandar posted:

You'll note that I didn't, in fact, demand that people roll for every task; I said that games should take the surrounding activities that come with them into account. In fact, part of a game's design should probably be to determine how much time players are expected to be engaging directly with the rules and to design those rules accordingly.

In any case, getting onto a horse would generally change how you interact with mechanics in following scenes. Bargaining with a merchant affects the resource-management minigame. Choosing whether to take a slow, safe route to the enemy's fortress or a quick, dangerous one will probably affect encounters on the way and when you arrive. Lots of decisions while roleplaying interact with the game, it's just that deciding to ignore your crush because you saw them with another girl might well not.

So on the one hand, we still have it passed down from the hand of God that these activities cannot actually be part of play, and the true nature of gameplay is in contextless activity without any purpose or reasoning behind it, but on the other hand we also have the statement that the context is suddenly part of gameplay now because the game state no longer consists solely of the raw gears and their interactions. How do you resolve this contradiction?

gradenko_2000 posted:

If the rules state that trivially easy actions should not be rolled for, or in fact that certain actions can be passed by "Taking 1" (in fact a cornerstone of the Cypher System and d20, to certain degrees), then you can still "engage with the rules" without having to roll for everything.

Or this is a statement that those activities are not part of gameplay, alternatively.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

if there are rules/benefits for riding a horse then choosing to get on one is engaging with the mechanics. also who said that everything has to be 100% gameplay? i'm just saying if you're going to play a game and then not use it's mechanics then you aren't playing the game. If you're going to make D&D characters and then freeform rp about romance there's really no need to create D&D characters.

I can play Dominion without any kind of metagame awareness (though I'd be pretty bad at it). But I can't play Burning Wheel with only an awareness of gameplay as it is being defined (I actually literally can't do so since character motivations are central to play) and so we have this dilemma where a definitionally extraneous element to the game itself is also necessary to engage in gameplay.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

it's not extraneous if it's a necessary part of gameplay

But you are arguing that it isn't gameplay! gently caress! Do you even think about these things before you type them?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zandar posted:

They are part of play, and I never said otherwise. I only said that "having a conversation which doesn't change anything about your character's capabilities or their situation in subsequent play is some (presumably fun) freeform roleplaying surrounding the actual play involving mechanics", and I haven't changed that stance. I did use "gameplay" to refer to directly interacting with the rules at one point, so that's probably confused the issue; sorry about that.

The unique thing about RPGs is that they're essentially an interface between two separate activities: freeform roleplaying and... some game, whether a card game, an FPS, a very simple dice game or Jenga, which acts as a resolution mechanic. In the course of play, there is a feedback loop. Say that as part of your roleplaying, you get on a horse. That affects how you interact with the rules of the game. Let's say that as a result of these mechanics, your horse is spooked by a fireball and bucks you off. You decide that your character now has a deep distrust of horses; the result of the mechanics has influenced your concept of your character. Due to this, you never put any points into riding; your roleplaying has again influenced your character's capabilities within the rules.

If you have a conversation that only affects how you see your character, and doesn't change how you're going to interact with mechanics, then it's roleplaying influencing roleplaying - it's not part of that feedback loop, it's just straight roleplaying. Which, again, is fine and expected; different RPGs have different amounts of this feedback loop (computer action RPGs, for example, often limit it to class choices and putting points into skill trees). But if the amount you interact with the rules differs from the amount that the designers expected you to, it's likely that parts of the rules will need changing to stay fun, in which case it probably wasn't the best fit in the first place.

This argument leads to the conclusion that all games should have extremely narrow foci such that designer intent can be readily comprehensible so that we can be sure we are dedicating the proper amount of time to acting and not improper amounts.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

Haha cool. On the subject of anime and WW2 (sort of) TRPGs i found out there's a Girls und Panzer RPG with the shinobigami system.

How is Shinobigami?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Are White Wolf secretly evil too or something

Is there any ethical consumption under late capitalism

"Late" capitalism.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Countblanc posted:

based on personal experience, you're looking for Dungeons and Dragons: 4th Edition by Wizards of the Coast.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Any kind of setting that wants to expand vertically as well as horizontally is going to have some metaplot involved, even if it's just "if City Councilor Whazzat dies then his daughter Foozle won't be around to be mayor in the present day". Like, Gloranthan metaplot isn't super intrusive by WoD or Wick standards, but at the same time there's plenty of published official/semi-official material that assumes certain events happened in a particular way, plenty of NPCs that can't reasonably be opposed, and certain things are more or less guaranteed to happen.

And I think it's worthwhile for some settings to go beyond fleshing out splats or adding new locations, to have a context, a history, etc. so long as there's a willingness to play fair on players being able to derail things.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nuns with Guns posted:

Glorantha also benefits from being in a setting that both allows and encourages players to rewrite reality and myth through their adventures, too.

Ehhhhh.... that's not always reflected so well in game rules or in the books themselves. I fondly remember the Heroquest 1e example Heroquest ending with 4/6 characters dead, one permanently disabled, and the last severely injured.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Slavery as D&D and medieval fantasy usually presents it is for the purpose of signaling the area is exotic, often the assumption is that players will exploit the slaves, and overall it comes straight from the depths of the Nadir of American Race Relations where Howard and Burroughs originated it.

That being said, Dark Sun and Glorantha and very heavily historical settings shouldn't be thrown out with the bathwater, since they have good reasons to include it and don't fall as prey to it as generic stuff does.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rockopolis posted:

Wait, PCs exploiting slavery? Where does that come from? Isn't slavery just supposed to provide targets for PCs, :sherman: style?

Not really? I mean, there are adventures and settings where that's true, but many of the adventures are about "white slavery". But it's far more common to have slaves as essentially decorations to show off exoticism and the PCs may be waited on by slaves or there'll be a dancing girl or whatever. Hopefully many players engage in some good ol'-fashioned abolitionism in response, but the way the games are written is distinct from that.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

The logic of this statement does not add up. A + B does not equal C, so to speak. The facts brought up don't lead to the conclusion reached, to be more direct.

Plutonis is saying Americans are unable to understand media because of a dysfunctional educational system. Can't say I disagree.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Serf posted:

its good to know that people are being failed by "decent" education systems regardless of nationality

16 words for a signature is a bit too long, man. If you cut it down by two you'd at least have a meme.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fool_of_sound posted:

I only like anime elves.

Tolkien elves are basically anime, so I could have just emptyquoted this, but I didn't.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah I kinda take issue with the idea that when and how certain evils should be depicted is an 'unnecessary intellectual exercise'.

Eh, if it weren't for people complaining about discussion when it happens threads would be even slower.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kwyndig posted:

I'm going to talk about how and why I dislike elves. Elves are boring because they're perfect. They live their ridiculously long lives in their perfect little tree cities and they're so good and twee it drives me crazy how you can even write a story about them! Tolkien influenced modern depictions of elves so heavily people barely remember that they used to be tiny folk that drank milk and played pranks by moonlight.

It's all so frustrating.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Elf-san-wa-Yaserarenai/Ch-001--Appointment-001--Forest-Elf?id=340497

Elves are win, actually.

Also, elves have only been tiny since the Victorian period. Norse Alfar are slightly smaller than people, British elves and sidhe are the same height as people. It's only when the Victorians decided on genocide-by-tweeness to eliminate elves from the world that they went all Cottingley.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, this was basically what I was going to post. I feel like way too many settings write elves as pretty post-scarcity humans with no meaningful societal conflict/tension besides war with their conveniently color-coded evil selves; settings where "dark elves" are an alternate philosophical/societal approach and not an actual subspecies are a bit better, but still don't always end up interesting. Elven dystopias -- or, at least, elven societies that look dystopic to other races and to the outcast elves who end up as PC fodder -- are the way to go, in my opinion.

Why? Isn't this just reified xenophobia, presenting the status quo of humans as the only way to exist that doesn't turn into a nightmare?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

Well what is that terrifying otherness that makes us re-imagine our place in the universe other than reified xenophobia? It's not like we have actual alien beings to compare ourselves too. Whether we ought or not, we don't look at the depths of the ocean and all the creatures there and say, "What godless universe wrought such terror!" The closest we have to other, the plants animals we live with on this planet, we either classify as food, pet, too dangerous to pet, too ugly to pet, too wet to pet, etc... We anthropomorphize the other we do have access to and we otherize human beings. Even the truly alien things we like to imagine are born from the twisted minds of authors we love are not truly alien, we extrapolate from Earth life, because from where else can we?

Uh, fear isn't the only kind of transcendental experience, my dude.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ferrinus posted:

A lot of people accidentally start roleplaying as humans who happen to live in the same world as elves when they start talking about elves as fictional constructs.

I'm always consciously roleplaying as an aasimar in a realistic aboleth suit when I talk about elves.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kwyndig posted:

Yes, I will agree with this.

I also think the concept of gnomes is racist.

It would be nice if gnomes could be racist against the Swiss instead of what they are now.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

i feel like eberron gnomes are racist against some mid-tier 18th century european power but my colonized eyes can't distinguish between them enough to figure out which one

*throws dart at map of Europe post-peace of Westphalia* Looks like they're Lithuanians.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kwyndig posted:

Why would I read scribblings from Tolkien's math notebook?

Antivehicular posted:

Because Chris Tolkien got to get paid, yo

Look at these scrubs who probably couldn't even be bothered to learn Mercian.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arivia posted:

LotR is the only geek thing more boring than anime. Both just suck terribly. Hope this helps.

You know, there are easier ways to get clicks.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

Also the Megaten games pulled the Law/Chaos alignment well I dunno why TRPGs can't do so.

Counterpoint: Nocturne and SMT4: Apocalypse ditched it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Really, a Megaten approach to alignment where Law and Chaos are both utter garbage but Neutral is just punting would be a nicely bleak game.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Also, the use of resurrected corpses for labor comes from stories about zombies, where Haitian zombi are fairly transparent metaphors for slavery. Necromancy in culture before the rise of chattel slavery mostly involved communicating with the dead (thus -mancy, indicating it was originally a means of divination), and its immorality was based on whether living people could so peremptorily violate the boundary between life and death without relying on the divine.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Countblanc posted:

to be fair, that probably does make you cooler than other people

coolness levels:

sex with fairies < sex with liches/other skeletal undead < sex with modrons

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of AEG stuff that John Wick used to be involved in, are there any good alternatives for katana-and-geta gaming besides L5R and Tenra?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

3.5 Oriental Adventures

You're banned from any game I run now, you sick motherfucker!!!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rockopolis posted:

Specifically Katana and geta, or more broadly East Asian?
Qin: the Warring States

Specifically katana-and-geta, Heian to late Tokugawa. But recs for stuff in China, Korea, SE Asia, etc. are always welcome.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

In general I don't think you necessarily need a "samurai system", a lot of fantasy systems will work fine and you don't necessarily need something specifically "Asian-flavored". A lot of it is really what kind of game you want to run with samurais in, whether it's Kurosawa or Musou or something else, and finding a system that fits that rather than worrying about whether or not there's a katana on the cover.

Not saying there aren't some good wuxia and similarly-themed games out there, just something to consider depending on what you want to do.

Cool, thanks for your opinion, I'd rather not trawl through EAS department pages to locate good sources from which to compile an understanding of the Muromachi period so I can run a game set in the Onin War via Fungeon World or whatever, in favor of indirectly paying a person to have done that work for me and also converted it into something playable, in case anyone thinks they're funny and wants to say "GURPS!"

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

You are not excused.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kwyndig posted:

I'm serious, GURPS is a good choice for realistic historical gaming.

Neither of you will troll me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

Replace Chivalric Virtues with Bushido, the religious virtues with the correspondant ones for Confucianism, Mahayana Buddhism and Shinto and change the Eras to reflect the turbulence from the Ashikaga Shogunate to the Azuchi-Momoyama and then the Tokugawa Unification

The Great Sengoku Campaign

• Locked thread