Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

My favourite thing about PFO is still the fans who projected onto it all their completely unrealistic-to-the-point-of-insanity dreams about what a video game could be. Like the people who insisted that every single 3e spell needed to be included, including Time Stop and Divination spells. Or the guy who wanted to spend his entire in-game experience running a stable, demanding gameplay deep enough to make taking care of horses a rewarding experience.

Of the two, the latter seems much closer to Dancey's intent. He would talk about how if you just want to sit around and serve beer or make swords all day, you'd have a valid place in the game. So horses is just one step away from that (they'd just have to hahaha implement haha horses ahahahahahahaha-)

I remember his intent to make factions basically centered around alignment, but also alignment would be based on specific in-game actions, and his long explanations about being chaotic would be punishing because you couldn't be a part of a group, and how chaotic evil characters would basically be hunted like serial killers might be... trying to use it as a means of policing the community and encouraging faction building. He's great at spinning convincing theories for fans without ever having to worry about how the gently caress poo poo might actually be implemented sanely. What's more, of all the things being kept from Pathfinder, it's not like, dungeons or the magic system or even the races but alignment is what he fixated on. Alignment. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Dancey merely made a post on the forums that amounted to "Please don't do that" with zero threat of enforcement behind it.

Hell, I remember with those thousand-dollar properties people had deeds, which I presume where there so if you want to sell or trade your property, you can go into your inventory and hand it over. Thankfully, they can't be destroyed and people can't loot them from you.

But they can still be dropped or misplaced and lost. You can still be conned out of them, too.

There was a post that was basically "make sure to leave your deed at home in a safe place and don't go losing it with a misclick while out in the field". :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Arivia posted:

Yes, there's a 3e roguelike and another 3e based game. However, the OGL actually prohibits using it to make computer games, so PFO is based off of Pathfinder's not OGL creative property, not the rules.

I don't think anything in the OGL specifically restricts that, though the d20 license does. Or as WotC answered once upon a time:

quote:

Q: I want to distribute computer software using the OGL. Is that possible?

A: Yes, it's certainly possible. The most significant thing that will impact your effort is that you have to give all the recipients the right to extract and use any Open Game Content you've included in your application, and you have to clearly identify what part of the software is Open Game Content.

One way is to design your application so that all the Open Game Content resides in files that are human-readable (that is, in a format that can be opened and understood by a reasonable person). Another is to have all the data used by the program viewable somehow while the program runs.

Distributing the source code not an acceptable method of compliance. First off, most programming languages are not easy to understand if the user hasnÍt studied the language. Second, the source code is a separate entity from the executable file. The user must have access to the actual Open Content used.

See the Software FAQ for more information.

The Software FAQ is still available here.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 6, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ImpactVector posted:

Ouch. Having the rules bits of a game live in human readable format would be pretty brutal to code for.

Yeah. It's not that you can't use the OGL, but more that it's wildly impractical and probably not worth the effort.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Apocalypse World is the obvious answer, but I also rather like Masks and Spirit of '77. The latter doesn't get nearly enough love around here.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

thelazyblank posted:

How do you know that anime is actually pretty wrestling?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOegCG3v1A

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

Anyone post Ultimate Muscle yet? The famous wrestling anime?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

CHIKARA is pretty great and I'd be more into it if it didn't already have that wall of continuity built up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

5e is bad. Have they even released any new books done in-house, or is Mearls still trapped in a wet paper bag after that tragic game design accident?

They've mostly been putting out adventures, from what I can tell. Guess they're trying to copy Pathfinger's success with that? Because if D&D has always had a problem it is the lack of adventures, to be sure.

(I often end up typing Pathfinger instead of Pathfinder and I'm just letting it go this time. Can't wait to start mistyping Starfinger.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Spycraft 2.0's mission-oriented nature lends it well to heists if you're willing to hurdle its wall of rules. Tricky Dick Nixon's Masks hack about teenage superheroes, Capers, has been making the rounds in the PbP forums, though it's a work in progress.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

There are problematic elements in nearly every iteration of D&D (including Pathfinder in that measure) to hit the stands; 5e from what I've seen is one of the least objectionable (though there could be dumb stuff I don't know about). The politics around its origins are another story, and are really lovely, but at the same time it doesn't seem to have internalized creepiness like with some earlier games or some of the more notorious OSR games. I mean, the mechanics to me are a bland gruel of various D&D elements, but a lot of people feel differently and that's alright. I don't know anybody that plays it in my local area and I don't have to particularly worry about it. The casual players I know at work still like Pathfinder more.

I think knowing about regressive elements in our media is important (as to not perpetuate them) but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker as far as enjoying something goes - it depends on how much it pervades the work and how much supporting the work allows it to continue. 5e didn't even have much of that, it just had an awful political stance (as in industry politics) in its inception, but that doesn't seem to have entered the work itself. The original sin is there, but I don't get the impression that it's been perpetuated over time, though I haven't been paying close attention.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Remember when Pathfinder loaned out its female iconics as last-minute add-ons for the Kingdom Death kickstarter :allears:

I'd already forgotten! Oh, Mona, Mona, Mona. :rolleyes:

In any case, not just the female ones, but mostly female. Their designs at least stayed mostly the same, but Seoni... is a little more Seoni, I see.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Arivia posted:

And fyi I try to stick to my guns about these things. I mentioned it in this thread before, but I'm no longer buying Paizo products after that poo poo with Kingdom Death, despite all the other good they've done. And you all know how much I like Pathfinder. If someone came up to me and asked if I'd recommend Pathfinder at this point I'd say no because of that poo poo, and tell them why.

Wow. I'm both impressed and a little saddened that happened for something you seemed to enjoy a lot. It's not something I really think about not being directly involved, but it must be pretty disappointing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Between Asimo and I and a few other goon we have essentially seen every edition of M&M stress-tested so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I certainly have some opinions about fiddly bits in that game.

Marvel Heroic I appreciate for its simplicity but the same time the mechanics mostly boil down to throwing handfuls of dice and shrugging which bugs me. I wish there was a little more think in the mechanics.

What did people think of Worlds of Peril? I backed it and had mixed opinions but it didn't leave a strong impression, more kind of a vague "that was a thing".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

someone please tell me that 5e ravenloft adventure avoided reintroducing the magical gypsies

Curse of Strahd avoided reintroducing the magical gypsies.

I hope that lie helps you feel better.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

Outside Fen Shui and Feng Shui II, Exalted, Legend of the Five Rings, Tenra Bansho Zero, Reflections, and Ninja Crusade, what other games have Asian-inspired settings that are worth looking at?

Shinobigami is interesting so far of what I've read and played of the alpha version, though the final version isn't out yet. It's modern ninja but you could probably move it over to a historical setting with little effort.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Plutonis posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/565410/

Why did Paradox even bought the license for

They're one step closer to the edge and they're about to break.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, my only major gripe with 7th Sea is the corruption mechanic. There are some relatively minor issues otherwise but that's the only one that really stands out to me as untenable.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That's the wrong thing to try and bait Plutonis with.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

What in the nine circles of hell is spacemaster?

Nothing you wanna play Mass Effect in, more sussinctly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rolemaster was a game where a lot of the tactics were just in how far you could maximize your relevant combat or stealth skills and hope the dice were on your side. Alternately, like many D&D-alikes, you just struggle to survive with a spellcaster long enough that you can turn the system sideways and find the lever that breaks the system, or at least breaks conventional confrontations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Most of the adventures I like are outlines - like Eyes of the Stone Thief for 13th Age, or Harkwood for GURPS Fantasy. I think most of the adventures make the mistake of doing most of the work for GMs when the really just need to do the heavy lifting for the more work-intensive parts, like encounter design or setting material.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Of course Fly to Heaven was written and published in 1999, so they had no way of knowing that in two years' time the idea of terrorist hijackings to fly planes into buildings would go from a sudden plot twist in an RPG adventure into a thing people were watching happen on the news at home.

To be fair, at that point we had already experienced one bombing attack to try and knock over the World Trade Center (in 1993) so the idea of terrorists targeting a tall, symbolic US structure wasn't exactly guesswork, even if the means in Fly to Heaven was prophetic. Similarly, the parody RPG Violence features an encounter with a "Bin Laden Cell" prior to the 9/11 attacks with the WTC being their first potential target listed.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The whole thing is about getting away from "Dee and Effin' Dee".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm not saying if it's good or bad, but that just seems to be the central premise.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The main benevolent use of metaplot as a tool is to provide explanations for ongoing campaigns for major alterations between editions and other major alterations to a game. Not that such is even necessary, but that's about the only time I can think of it being useful. Mostly, it ends up being a mess even when it's used that way (the revised World of Darkness books come to mind), but that's the only main use I can think of it as a game design tool and not just a marketing gimmick.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm going to point out, since Cluney didn't, that The World of Millennium Blades art book also just came out to backers. I mention this because it includes Duel Questers, a short RPG written by Cluney set in the Millennium Blades universe. (You still need a copy of Millennium Blades itself to play it, of course.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Agent Rush posted:

Are there any plans to make the book available to non-backers? The more I learn about this game, the sadder I am I didn't hear about it sooner.

No idea, honestly! I know Set Rotation is up for pre-orders but I don't see the book in the store.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

LongDarkNight posted:

Is it a roleplaying game about playing roleplaying games?

A roleplaying game about playing a ridiculous world-impacting CCG (it defeated an alien invasion), so like Yu-Gi-Oh and their ilk.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Siivola posted:

Wait so the artbook for the board game about playing a fake card game includes a roleplaying game set in the promotional anime of the fake card game, which requires the aforementioned board game?

Close enough!

I'd like to run it (along with a dozen other things, mind) but my current group skews a bit old for it and running it online seems impractical. Not impossible, but impractical.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Putting pokemon to use in a practical way? That's just crazy talk.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

occamsnailfile posted:

So this is a fairly idle question. When games have print-and-play items like decks of cards, how do you handle producing those? Do you print them out on normal paper and glue them carefully to a normal deck of cards, or some other solution? I guess this would also be a question for things like P&P boardgames with boards, do you paste those to posterboard? I know posterboard printers exist but my recollection of them is that they're a bit expensive. I guess for a game you plan to use a few times it might be worth it.

What I do is get cheap packs of normal playing cards (like from a dollar store), print the cards on regular paper, then use penny sleeves to put the playing card and the printed card together so it has backing. It's a little work-intensive but it's relatively cheap.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 3, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It feels to me almost like something that was created as a parody. I know it's not, but...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

xiw posted:

Mandate of Heaven was in the 2e Storyteller's Companion book, and were completely ignored for the rest of the line. There are no 3e equivalents either sadly. It used an interesting approach statting up political entities using the PC attributes and Limit stat, and provided some really evocative ways of messing with your neighbours via approaches that weren't just war.

It was an interesting notion but the system was just way too hilariously obtuse in a way only Exalted could manage. Let's say I'm at war and I look up the "conquest actions". Do you use Sturdier Mouse Persuasion, Gluttonous Bear Encirclement, or Serpent Stalks the Reeds Insinuation? Uh, what does Serpent do again? "The Harmonious Tryptich Accords frequently revile those who would betray their society, yet fills a volume on this action's most efficacious use." :geno: Gee, thanks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

There was also a replacement domain management system in Masters of Jade. Creation-Ruling Mandate? That was actually pretty okay, without any of the bizarrely obtuse bullshit from the Companion's system. Of course, that was the second-to-last 2e book. I think maybe I wrote one thing that affected it in Shards, and then that's the end of that.

Yeah, that was a lot better!... and then it was abandoned about as quickly as it was implemented, with the line from you-know-who of "Oh, you only think you want to see this system supported! Well, you're wrong! You don't!" :v: Gee, thanks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Eh, Fudge kind of faded from the general consciousness, which is surprising since I think it was the first free and open-source "indie" RPG to really succeed.

IMO, Fudge, like Fate after it, was always more of a build-a-system toolkit than a complete game by itself.

So I'm going through Sig and though many details are different from Planescape , the lingo is similar on a level of "ha ha, seriously?" While it's not just a tracing of the original setting by far, little chunks are so shamelessly lifted that I'm a bit surprised.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think it's just an outlet so people can quote The Princess Bride without ruining your game. Because it'sThe Princess Bride Role-Playing Game.

On a totally different note, this series of tweets by Jessica Price on toxicity in TRPGs was a really, really good read today.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Plutonis posted:

No thanks.

Okay.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I always figured they could always just do a "Pathfinder 2" with the same mechanics but with newer classes / feats / magic / etc. that more closely match their current design philosophy, and have kind of been disappointed they don't, since the original Pathfinder hasn't been the best introduction to the game for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I was reminded by this of a talk I was watching with Martin Ericsson where he was questioned about whether or not White Wolf would continue to have gender / race exclusivity as a thing in their games, and he did a lot of handwringing about "Oh well we have to be historical and accurate to the real world..."

But then my first Vampire: the Masquerade game had the local coterie struggling against a mad scientist who was obsessed with making a superior robot vampire, so "realism" hasn't really been something that occurred to me in a game setting with a magic chainsaw that can raise the dead and three-eyed anime knockoffs.

• Locked thread