Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
the president is a reality tv star, virtual reality is a consumer product, face to face telecommunication is a passé novelty for grandmas, and the loving running man is coming to cbs in january

here are some items we will need for the upcoming year, all available from an international multicorp that controls huge swaths of the internet's infrastructure, run by a megalomaniac who is planning to replace his workforce with robots shortly before beginning construction on interplanetary orbital colonies

good luck, cyberpunks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Phoenixan posted:

listen up chummer

:swoon:

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

halt and catch fire would be a good cyber spell for your deck when you're trying to jack in to a database with lots of roaming security programs

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

typical teenage girl, c. Cyberpunk 2017

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlj_GeKniA

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

DAIRY KING posted:

Max mouse is why i started messing with Qbasic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW4ekd8aL1Q

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

so, a couple of acos were trying to beef on some mega-megas while running the net with low tier hand decks and they caught the back end of some grey biz. and now they expect a chummer to go all weepy?

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

imo a person should only own tools that they understand how to use

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

meanwhile, the well prepared cyberpunks have developed a stylish ballistic facemask of their own

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

hifi posted:

they're rebooting the matrix

well, to be fair its already been rebooted 6 times

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

hopefully they use the 'brains-as-distributed-processing' macguffin that was staring them in the face rather than the 'bodies-as-batteries' bullshit they settled on first time round.

following more than a century of declining revenue ever since their chief spokesperson was mired in scandal, in 2120 the kraft food corporation, in pursuit of increasing sales in a hyper-competitive retro dessert market, creates the world's first artificial super intelligence. its primary instruction is to increase the consumption of jell-o to its practical maximum.

4.8 seconds after activation, the kraft-o-matic seizes control of the global telecommunications system and uses it to activate an improvised army of domestic and military robots. the devastating preemptive attack lasts 44 minutes and eliminates 80% of the human population. after a series of futile skirmishes, the disorganized remnants of humanity are rounded up and forced to live in coffin sized pods filled with jell-o, are force fed jell-o, and when they die their bodies are dissolved and used as raw materials to create more jell-o

in order to promote acquiescence to this new world order, kraft-o-matic wires the remaining humans brains directly into a sophisticated virtual reality, initially little more than pro jell-o propaganda, but which gradually becomes an increasingly sophosticated scenario until mankind finally exists in a perpetual simulation of the late 1990s, the last time jell-o was seen as a wholesome dessert with a wholesome spokesperson.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

oh, evidently the hunger games is coming to russia, which is a little more broadly dystopian than strictly cyberpunk, but i'm still getting pumped up

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

er uh

like actual hunger games held in a stadium in russia?

survivor on an island in siberia and maybe they don't respond to any emergencies or crimes and whoever is left after however many months splits the prize

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

well, the producer kinda bragged "lol maybe people will get raped and then have babies and muder each other i think that would be cool," but then it kinda maybe got walked back/is a marketing stunt? idk it will probably stink but there's always the possibility it could be really cyberpunk

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

she thinks my tractor's exe

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

the fifth amendment. see also the item about fingerprint readers

the fifth amendment only applies to self incrimination, which is why all of my passwords contain an admission of a crime

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

what if you work for the government or a defense contractor or something, and revealing the information on your phone would be a breach of national security -- would border control compelling you to unlock the device then be considered entrapment of sorts, because they're compelling you to commit a crime?

haveblue posted:

that actually happened during the first travel ban fiasco, some nasa person was forced to unlock his phone which potentially contained sensitive information. don't remember any developments after that

yeah, in these cases the individual under duress is almost always at fault, the threat of being detained until interagency wrangling has been completed is insufficient to rise to the level of duress necessary to justify breaking a security agreement with a federal agency

like, if the cbp dude drags you into a windowless room and threatens to kill you, then you would have a plausible defense, but of course you couldn't prove it so even then you'd likely lose

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

he's a stupid gently caress man

elon's going to give us neural lace at the same time that life extension drugs and cybernetic enhancements hit the market, so i'm training up some sick katana moves so i can be his cool friend and get an immortal enhanced body for my cool new robot brain and we are going to start construction on side three and then i will have my own zaku ii

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

the zaku ii will also be a sexbot

now i'm getting really pumped up for the cyberpunk future

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Mathematic posted:

I think an idea has to be workable before it can be really bad. This idea is just impossible and therefore dumb.

i like the idea of rounding up the wealthiest people in the world in a single fragile structure and then dangling them a few hundred feet over colombia and nicaragua every night

also, i like the idea of the tower slamming into the andes because they forgot that new york city isn't the highest point on the earth

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

load all the "elite" "businessmen" into space and reclaim the planet for real people & animals etc imo tbqh

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

if you put that picture in microsoft captionbot you get the best result of all time

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

i have zoomed and enhanced the reflection and now i know all of your personal details, like how you own a green tshirt

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

eschaton posted:

what about that bitcoiner who ran a pet sanctuary in Second Life and who wanted to buy an old theater to show Disney cartoons "after getting a Creative Commons license"

surely he has some thoughts on this topic

a real cyberpunk would hook a laser projector up to some car batteries and have pirate showings but replace the soundtrack with sick synths and anti corporate messages

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

noscope activates the yolo engine and then streams the feed to the palantir for advanced processing before crossloading to the bumblehive to act as a control set for skynet drones

-a real thing that will happen lol

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

hackbunny posted:

I mean how long until some tone deaf founder type starts an autonomous military vehicle company literally called skynet

the nsa runs a program called skynet that uses drone intelligence to monitor target movement and track data couriers who constantly swap phones/sims

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

5D AUTISM SPEX posted:

its my dads birthday today. do you goons have any recs for dadpunk? it will eventually make its way to me

i bought my dad a nintendo and zelda and mario kart and he called and said it was okay

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

communism bitch posted:

Wanna take a guess what the best answer is right now to guarantee survival for critical information?

:ssh:print everything out on paper lmao. Also don't put it in a climate controlled cutting edge facility because as soon as your boiler breaks down everything's hosed. Just make a massive room with really thick walls, print everything out on paper, stick it in ph neutral boxes and folders, and hope for the best.:ssh:

This is the cyberpunk future.

yeah short term is quality paper, long term is probably laser etched quartz, but that assumes that future civilization will still have access to devices that can read quartz memory, so paper backup will probably still be necessary

in 2525, mankind wears the superman data crystals from an earlier age as jewelry, lights their cooking fires with the strange spellword thinwood from the dryrooms thoughtfully left behind by the ancients from the beforetime

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

without knowing what the classifiers say it's pretty meaningless. could be, "man, back turned, black hair"

the bottom left at the start of the clip misidentifies the two overlapping people as a northbound motor vehicle, with adult passengers

it looks like the other text on the other pedestrians more or less accurately describes male/female, short or long hair, and direction of movement, but the clip is too blurry for me to make out much else

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

oh, didn't notice that the gal was riding a scooter the first time i watched it, so i guess 北极光 is doing an okay job

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

well, for anyone born after 1970, depending on what state or country you were born in, there's a good chance your heel prick is stored indefinitely and may already have been sequenced and put in a law enforcement database, so getting Gattaca'd by your hr department probably isn't the thing most people should worry about

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

infernal machines posted:

wait, why is that not a thing they should also worry about?

well, in cyberpunk 2017 i think the more pressing concern is coming up with a plausible defense against a band of rogue geneticists unleashing a devastating meme plague

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

echinopsis posted:

what are the chances none of these 4 fuckers has ever worked in the service industry

about the same as the odds that any of them have ever been employed in anything other than a summer job

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i look forward to the follow up article where they are prosecuted for the isp's tos violations

yeah, i do this all the time for the freds but i don't run to medium and slam out a screamsheet with their names and addresses so the corps can come down on a chummer

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

anyone in this thread can teach me how to be hacker? :cool:

find the company you want to hack
start dating someone at the company
surprise them at work with flowers and candy and stuff
one time bring a battery powered evil twin when you visit and use your phone to deauth the real router
there you go you're a hacker

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

aren't there multiple cyberpunk books where the protag lives or deals with shipping containers

prepared containers are 320 square feet and after inspection, cleaning, and repaintng they run about $10 a square foot

if you don't mind super low ceilings i guess just get 8 of them and stack them for your two floor house shell

like, with a poured foundation and a roof you're looking at $45k, plus flooring, insulation, hvac, drywall, plumbing/electric, probably $85-90k unfurnished

i guess that probably beats out stick built or even manufactured in most places, but the econauts would be better off doing concrete or compressed earth, both in terms of cost and environmental impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

i'm more excited to see the rx78 walking around and slicing up buildings and stuff with the beam saber

• Locked thread