Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

There's a World War Z sequel coming out?

And where's Wonder Woman on that list? Release date is June 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

post ironic cancer posting wont save us

tropes wont save us

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dexie posted:

It WOULD be easy to do but they'd find a way to gently caress it up. They already did it once with the Tokyo 2040 series. A live action thing would be even easier to ruin.

It's definitely something that you'd have to bring Shinji Aramaki, the designer who actually did the suits, on if you wanted to get it right, but Aramaki might want more input since he's more famous now for doing the CGI Appleseed films.

In fact, I'm surprised we haven't seen him attempt to do a CGI Bubblegum Crisis film. I wonder if the rights are locked up somehow, we seem to be due for another iteration on the series.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TTBF posted:

There was a translated interview I saw a while back (and boy I wish I could find it again) where someone asked the creator why there was a full color lesbian sex scene in the middle of the book. He seemed to misunderstand the intent of the question, and provided a very detailed answer about how cyborg sex works and long story short, all cyborgs are only able to have gay sex.

Yeah, it's a bit in Intron Depot, his artbook, which has that scene uncut in it. I believe he said he did the scene as lesbians because "he didn't want to draw male rear end".

Of course, Shirow's tastes have grown in recent years. He's no longer frightened of drawing men's butts but, boy, you wish he was because now we're getting his ingenues getting railed in thirty-man gangbangs by horse men, bird men, black men...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

/\/\/\

Yeah, I'm just going to drop it here. I've gone into too much detail here, when I think I covered this in the GITS thread earlier.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

Olivier Megaton? Has the world just gone so crazy that we all just glanced past Olivier Megaton like it was a perfectly normal name for a human person?

TBH, it's a stage name, he wasn't born with it.

Also, he's done nothing good.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sirotan posted:

My mom let me watch The Fly when it was on TV one night when I was about 10. We got to the bit where he transports the monkey and it comes out all deformed and hosed up. The channel cuts to a commerical immediately afterwards, and my mom decided it was bedtime!

It felt like I laid in bed awake all night waiting for an inside-out monkey to come up the stairs and get me. 20 years later I've still never rewatched it.

It took me until my twenties before I could handle the Nazi face-melting scene in Raiders. And they show that scene unedited on broadcast TV.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Some of my earliest memories are of my parents taking me to see loving Poltergeist at a drive-in theatre*. The tree trying to eat the son seriously hosed me up. I remember dubbing it the Daddy Eating Tree, but I don't remember why, since it obviously tries to eat Robbie, not Steven. Maybe I thought the tree was someone's father? Oh, and the scene where the guy claws his own face off just loving ruined me for years.

* 1983 was a goddamned terrifying year for me, I guess.

Poltergeist 2 is even worse, but it's a toss-up between the scene where Robbie's braces attack him (which is a helluva thing to see when you're getting braces yourself) or Craig T. Nelson vomiting up a giant mezcal worm with Reverand Kane's face on it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

syscall girl posted:

The finale of Raiders gave us a man eating a fly and some nazi jerks opening a box and going all house of wax.

Doom gave us a drugged up cult member getting his heart pulled out and then incinerated as he chanted the cult motto.

It also had a particularly brutal opening gunfight in the nightclub and an ending where the bad guys got ate by alligators. But all the stuff that kiimo brought up probably pushed it over the edge.

syscall girl posted:

All the scenes of Indy being forced to drink the blood and lying there until it seemed like his mind had been destroyed and was going to go into the enslavement of children business *shudders*

It's seeing your childhood hero turning on you, especially when you're a kid. It's that betrayal of trust.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

1983 was also the year my mum sent me over to the college kids next door to be babysat and they decided it would be funny to show me The Thing.

I just remembered that The Day After was broadcast in '83 as well. Jesus. No escape.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lemon posted:

When I was younger I watched all kinds of horror films without getting scared but for some reason I just couldn't even look at this part of the X-Files opening:

Something about it freaked me the gently caress out.

When I was really young, I couldn't watch the ending credits to Star Trek without being afraid of running into this unblinking motherfucker...

Dude just flashes up on the screen and it's the last thing you see of the episode.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The one where aliens land has a particularly great opening (and relevant today for being David Bowie's birthday :smith:)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Wikipedia says Olivia Hussey was 15 at the time. At least it wasn't real explicit, just a couple of seconds when she rolls out of bed.

I have heard she was wearing a bodysuit to make her seem she was naked, but I'm not sure if that's happened.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I'll let him tell it in his own words:

http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/home/articles-readarticle.php?nid=5

The funny thing is that originally before the new BSG miniseries aired, he did a promotional interview with the new Starbuck actress to promote it and was supposedly the one who convinced a then-reluctant Richard Hatch to give it a try.

Didn't he soften his stance? Because I've seen him in photos with Katee Sackoff after BSG ended and he didn't look pissed off about it.

Also, you can see him being up a bit upset about "castration" of Starbuck because he had testicular cancer following the A-Team and it probably did wonders regarding his own masculinity.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't disagree about American Sniper, but I think you misread Gran Torino a bit. The whole point is that Clint Eastwood's views cannot survive in the modern era, and the best thing he can do is make way for minorities in a way that helps them up.

It's shockingly not awful for something coming from Clint "yelling at empty chair" Eastwood.

Except he did that earlier in Heartbreak Ridge with his Gunny character being too old-fashioned in the modern Marines and molding and making way for Mario Van Peeples to be the new Marine Corps compared to Everett McGill.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

I cannot recall the specifics, but the original series was put together while the manga was ongoing. Rather than add filler or pad to get more plot from the creator, they just take a clean split about halfway in and suddenly start solving mysteries and reworking characters in their own fashion. This comes to a head in the conclusion film where one of the brothers is literally in Nazi Germany in our world.

Years later, Brotherhood was a straight adaptation of the then-finished manga.

Oh man, there was one character in 2003 anime, Rose, that I made the manga author basically went "gently caress that" when the showrunners had her gang-raped by occupying soldiers and turned into some sort of mute holy figure akin to Mary. Since she was still writing the manga as the first series was airing, Hiromu Arakawa apparently wrote Rose's return in the manga as been an independent woman who was rebuilding her town, raising adopted children, and definitely had not been raped.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh my loving god I know right? I thought whoever originally mentioned that scene was kidding

The first one is a legit decent horror flick that just goes to some really grunchy places, I can't speak for any of the others

(Sho Aikawa is not a well-adjusted man, if that wasn't already pretty clear)

Angel Cop is interesting. Remember that Asian guy who said, during the whole whitewashing debate with ScarJo, that you can't strip out the Japanese-ness from Ghost In The Shell because it's integral to the plot, even though there's almost nothing Japan about the original GITS manga, which is why it's an universal hit? That's Angel Cop. It lauds the greatness of Japan, especially it's technology and economy, but came out right about the time the Japanese bubble collapse. And it's brutal actioner but to most anime fans, it's that anime where they changed the dialogue because the last episode veers into anti-Semitism, revealing the overall plot is the Jews of trying to destroy Japan through "leftist" terrorism. The localization team, with it's Jewish translator, changed this to wholly Americans, which matched with the original manga's plot, but you can find on Youtube the scene with the original dialogue (which was translated by the same translator) matched with the English language version .

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Some of Cranston's first work was as a voice actor for a monster in Power Rangers; Billy's last name is Cranston in his honor.

He's a friend of Haim Saban, so you know Cranston had been doing voiceover work for awhile.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Terminators vs Aliens

No poo poo.

If you ever read the Colonial Marines series Dark Horse put out in the '90s (it's also in one of the later omnibus editions, I believe), it has some awesome and weird poo poo like human-alien hybrids, a protagonist that turns into a foil halfway through the series, cranial bombs, Vasquez's sister who has a complex about xenomorphs, and a synth that you find out has been built for anti-xenomorph combat. His last act in the series is providing cover fire with twin pulse rifles as the marines bug out of a self-destructing space station, alien blood splashing off his acid-proof skin. He even survives the nuclear charge, mangled but capable of making an interstellar transmission before going into stasis in orbit of a planet.

So, yeah, Terminators vs. Aliens.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

He's actually is the guy in the comics that died in the first issue going out of bounds to show everyones got bombs attached to them.

He didn't need loving fanfare though

Actually, no, he got one of his arms blown off, which didn't impede any of his rope tricks.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

That brought me to the news that there's an adaptation of Larry Niven's "Inconstant Moon" coming out.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/arrival-producers-plan-new-sci-fi-film-director-james-ponsoldt-968523

It's funny because for some reason I was just thinking of this story not too long ago, years after having read it.

It will be funny if this ends up becoming Niven's first big-screen adaptation after Ringworld being in development hell for decades.

There's a '90s Outer Limits adaptation of that story with Michael Gross as the astronomer protagonist. I remember it being pretty good.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I don't know who greenlit Elephant Man but thank god they did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7bEVnFlds

Apparently, Mel Brooks.

I remember reading that Brooks wanted Lynch to make a film about Hitler and his inner circle, because he felt that only he could portray the banal horror and madness surrounding the Nazi regime.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Is the DC franchise going to fail this early?

There's rumors of the early screenings of Wonder Woman being a disjointed mess with no narrative flow and that the trailers are, again, misleading.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Clearly they are going to pick God-Emperor of Dune for its mass appeal.

This is really what they should do. Recognize the good parts of the Lynch film and the SyFy miniseries (namely James MacAvoy as Leto II) and incorporate them into a God-Emperor of Dune film and just run with that. There's little need to explain anything like backstory except through Duncan Idaho's eyes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

If I remember correctly, traditional wisdom is that when Democrats are in charge, people are afraid of hordes of filthy Poors taking over everything. When Republicans are in charge the zeitgeist changes to cold, omnipotent, bloodsucking Aristos.

Except the zombie craze started during Bush with 28 Days Later and the Snyder-Gunn Dawn Of The Dead remake. There was a lot of terrorism undercurrent at the beginning of the zombie craze.

But I think you're sort of right. There's going to be a lot more dystopian or "occupation" movies thanks to the Trump administration.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I had it kind of sideways. In a bad economy, supposedly, vampire movies take off. In a good economy, hordes of unwashed zombies come to take everything away.

http://www.bigissue.com/features/3188/when-recession-bites

Definitely NOT saying Republicans are good for thee economy.

Edit: Also, yeah, it doesn't work perfectly or anything.

I remember a review of DotD that the first 10 minutes felt cathartic following 9/11, like it felt the other shoe dropping and watching everything fall apart. Meanwhile, with 28 Days Later, the shots of abandoned London and the billboard posted with missing people and contact numbers were remenscient of the aftermath of WTC collapse, despite being entirely coincidence (28 Days Later filmed months before 9/11).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, who greenlighted this apparently serious drama with Arnold Schwarzenegger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBrkK-ZnI0

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MrBling posted:

I'm assuming by Mads you mean Mads Mikkelsen? He has done lots of comedy, its just all in danish movies. They're all really good though.

Yeah, I think someone posted The Green Butchers earlier in this thread and he recently had Men & Chicken

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

*The Highlander draws his sword to face down Kurrgan for the final time*
FLASH! AHHHH-AHHHHHHH!
HE'LL SAVE EVERYONE OF US!

FTFY

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Cameo posted:

Surely the director of Torque and Detention made a 100% sincere short film about superviolent Power Rangers and wasn't in fact taking the piss out of the marketing formula that got us five insane Michael Bay Transformers movies

Edit: and it's not like Shankar can get a whole TV series off the ground using the Power Rangers name without going along with Saban. So he's bullshitting to remind people of the thing he put money into that went viral as the marketing for the movie picks up. It's a good way to attract money from some avenues.

Particular since Shankar is trying to fund a Dredd sequel, either as a film, streaming series, or animated series.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

What about a movie that's basically the opposite, about a bunch of criminals trying to exfiltrate a compound of wall to wall cops? Maybe the cops are corrupt and the crims are sympathetic and pressured into what they're doing because of extraordinary circumstances, if you need that sort of thing.

Direct-to-video actioner The Immortals from 1995 had that premise. A bunch of people with nothing left to lose are enlisted in a suicide mission against a mobster, end up in a massive gunbattle between the mafia and the police.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Just set it in The Carter from New Jack City.

No poo poo, whenever I heard of an American remake of The Raid, I immediately thought, "Are they going to get Wesley Snipes to reprise his role as Nino Brown?"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shoombo posted:

The cops in The Raid aren't good people, except maybe Rama. If right-wingers take to an American Raid, it's through a severe misreading of the text.

e: I mean, right-wingers certainly will take to it if it's even half as good as the original, 'cause it'll be a dope movie. The cops definitely aren't heroic though.

The reason they're there is because of police corruption, with shady superiors sending in an unauthorized raid to muscle in on the landlord. And, even then, you have one of the cops shooting an unarmed kid in the back.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

Have you ever read about Martin Scorcese's dilemma on the set of Taxi Driver? why am I spoilering this in CineD good god. He knew that the ending scene, with Travis murdering the pimps, would be a nazi wet dream. So he had to make everyone white. He went so far as to send Paul Schrader out onto the streets to find a white pimp to base the character on, but after a few weeks it turned out that a white pimp was something of a unicorn in 1970s New York. Which is why Harvey Keitel plays that weird out of place character, they had nothing in reality to base it on so they just winged it.

Yeah that's a weirdly racist anecdote but blame Marty not me.

Weren't those guys Italian mobsters? I seem to recall in the epilogue scene that the newspapers are reporting that the john was some low level Mafioso get some Jodie Foster by coincidence and the guys Travis shoots down are his bodyguards.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I always figured Dredd's failure, above all, was that people thought it was a sequel to the lovely Stallone one, so nobody went to see it accordingly.

Funny thing is, outside of showing Dredd without a mask and Rob S as comedy relief, didn't Stallone's movie capture a lot of the vibe of the comics? My 2000AD is rusty.

Pretty much yes. The movie Lawgivers are a bit bulkier than they should be, because the 2000AD Lawgivers were based off Mausers, with magazines outside the pistol grip and long barrels, for that fascist look. They also hired Gianni Versace as costume designer, and he designed some source-accurate outfits for Stallone and the other Judges.

I know I was a little disappointed with the paintball or motorcyclist gear seen in those original previews, but finally seeing them in the movie made them a much more reasonable take on the design.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I called it garbage because good sets can't save a terrible script or the existence of Rob Schneider

Yeah, the screenwriters seemed to have only passing familiarity with Judge Dredd and didn't get a lot of the social commentary. I believe Pat Mills talks about this when they were trying to develop Marshall Law into a movie, which he would have had more input on if Judge Dredd had been successful.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, Vice is expanding their media empire to distributing movies. The Bad Batch, previously mentioned in this thread, got picked up and a trailer dropped a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUqfP1S-9ok

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cyber City Oedo 808 is the better Suicide Squad.

A live-action film would be hilarious just for how they handle Benten.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cast Tilda Swinton?

...poo poo, now I want to hear her say the vampire line.

I think she's too old now.

But yeah, they would have to use the British dub script with it's increasingly profane insults, where they blow through all the curse words and start making up their own.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Tilda Swinton would actually be perfect for Benten, I never got the impression any of them were supposed to be particularly young.

Like, honestly if I had to cast a CCO808 movie: Keanu as Sengoku, Batista as Gogol, Tilda Swinton as Benten.

I've kind of thought of them being in their late twenties or thirties, especially Sengoku, because he feels like he should be experienced enough to have been a cop but young enough to be a rebellious punk. Gogol, however, would be someone in his 40s or 50s. I would go for Dwayne Johnson, because he's got to be big dude but also intelligent and well-spoken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

The thing is, I can see his point. It would've been interesting to see a Jurassic Park where poo poo worked. The thing is, though, Jurassic Park is first-and-foremost a We Tampered In God's Domain property. One way or another, the park must fail, because that's why we're there. Interesting is just interesting.

JP is essentially Westworld except with robot cowboys, knights, and Romans, it's dinosaurs. For all of his technothriller bonafides, Crichton was a pseudo-scientific Luddite.

And the HBO "Westworld" is a further extension, like Jurassic World, where there's some more interesting stories to be had if the park is initially successful.

• Locked thread