Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alexander Hamilton posted:

It really bothered me that they make very clear that xXx is a new type of secret agent and then the soundtrack is all lovely James Bond-style music.

greatn posted:

Die Another Day was so bad I walked out and into a screening of Eight Crazy Nights, and I was just glad I wasn't watching Die Another Day.

Chairman Capone posted:

Makes sense in a way, considering XXX came out within a few months of Die Another Day, which was the 007 franchise trying to ride the same type of 90s extreme stunt stuff.

Literally everything about xXx and Die Another Day's production and marketing is fully justified because it gave us inspired the rushed hanger on Extreme Ops which is the most early 00s film ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZoACTYqwbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

"Edgy 90s muscleman with guns and swords and zero sense of irony" basically describes every male Rob Liefeld has ever drawn.

The best part was that him cracking jokes and being sarcastic all the time was still part of his character in that, if you had a trading card of him at the time or read his profile or read a part of a comic where other characters describe him that would always come up. But then like others said it wasn't until the Kelly run that any of that actually happened in any way noticeable beyond any other extreme 90s attitude character. Before that point he was totally useless.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Clint Eastwood is basically just a more polished Frank Miller at this point.

Stealing this for any time anyone I know tries to tell me Gran Torino is good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I enjoyed Genisys because I went in expecting total megashit, but it is frustrating that with someone else as Reese instead of Jai Courtney and some other changes it could have been legit awesome.

Some surprisingly questionable effects too for a movie with Terminator in the name. The CG backdrops and buildings were weak but inoffensive. The bus and helicopter chases though looked awful.

The part where SkyJohn is walking away from the MRI and leaving nanomachine "shadows" of himself with each step is striking though. You can tell most of the effects money went there and I've never seen anything that looks quite like it before.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 21, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Will Neko Atsume break the video game movie curse? Maybe....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5R0M-NKISA

I would loving kill to see this movie directed by Takashi Miike in the style of Happiness of the Katakuris.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ammanas posted:

Yeah she's young looking and petite and also bad at acting and totally miscast to be 'badass'. Someone took a flier on her because of GoT and who knows about Jai Courtney.

Jai Courtney getting any work as an actor at all is still a mystery to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Suicide Squad is more worthy of an Oscar nomination than most of the comic book movies last year.

In a year with Batman: The Killing Joke Dr. Strange, Deadpool, Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, X-Men Apocalypse and TMNT Out of the Shadows that's not saying much.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 24, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Eh! Frank posted:

Wait, is Doctor Strange considered to be a bad movie now?

And I liked Apocalypse, but I can understand others not enjoying it, i admit it was a dumb movie.

I hardly think I speak for everyone. :P Personally I didn't think it was awful, and I did enjoy it but it's definitely a movie I watched once, had some fun with, and haven't thought out at all since. The editing and the script felt like two different movies shmushed together and it felt very, uh, over produced through the MCU/Disney machine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love this choice because it's a fantastic selection but would also find it amusing if between it and Blade Runner: 2049 he gets typecast as "guy who directs sci-fi movies with a big face in the sand."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

To be fair you could say the same thing about the actual hypothetical Jodorowsky Dune movie if it were actually made. Super crazy and extravagant conceptual work almost never survives unscathed once it's gone through the realities of production.

Did you see Flash Gordon? Quite a few of the costumes that where originally designed/made for Jodorowsky's Dune movie actually appear throughout it and Ming's palace being completely golden is from it also.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Does the money all go to Jackman and Patrick Stewart being in for one minute or whatever? Like how Sean Connery got $9 million for Highlander II: The Quickening when its entire budget was $30 million?

There was a Bruce Willis movie, I want to say it was Last Man Standing? He got paid like 1/3 more than the entire movie's budget, like what?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 3, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

True he really did peak as an artist when the adorable Hulk Poodle is shown during the Hulk Hound sequence.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Byzantine posted:

I only played the first reboot, but it was incredibly satisfying to go from injured desperate Lara to a loving Fury tearing dudes' faces off with a shotgun while his buddies scream and run for their lives at the sight of you.

After the game homages First Blood early on with her using a torch to navigate that flooded cave, when you get the flame arrows towards the end it is like so awesome. Just lighting dudes up all over the place.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A bunch of stuff came out around that time, Resident Evil 4 dropped on January 2005 and was already super hyped up among anyone into video games and this was after the very successful (I know its sales weren't incredible but reputation wise even then people know it was the poo poo) the remake of the original Resident Evil came out in 2003. If you were into pen and paper games All Flesh Must Be Eaten originally came out in 1999 but in 2003/04 got a strong online presence and a lot of new material/edition released. There was a series of "EXTREME ZOMBIES" merchandise like for elementary school kids in like 2003. Basically between 2003 to 2005 each facet of media and nerd stuff got a high quality zombie product or two paving the way for The Walking Dead TV series that would insure the dead would walk among us forever.

Fun trivia, despite the massive massive hype for Resident Evil 4 coming out throughout all of 2004 and the Dawn of the Dead remake being awesome, there were a few major video games that were cancelled solely on the reasoning of the publisher deciding "We don't think zombies will sell in the 2004-2005 holiday season." Whoops!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 7, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Raid: Redemption, Dredd, and Mad Max: Fury Road were all delivered under the Obama administration so I can't believe anyone would say that with a straight face.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh yeah I should have said today. I've had talks like that with people too back in the day, it always ended up being because they're racist. Not KKK wake up in the morning angry that non-white people are live racist, but kind of racist. It would happen because in the late 80s and through the early 90s with the Cold War over and crime decreasing you started to see less minorities and Middle Eastern terrorist hordes as the bad guys and more angry white guys, the US military, white supremacist groups, etc. domestic threats and traitors within as the bad guys. And it was common on every type of action movie from the bottom of the barrel stuff like Stone Cold where the villains are literally the Aryan Brotherhood to direct to video stuff like Best of the Best 3, and of course bigger budget stuff like the Under Siege movies, The Rock, etc. People would have this built in "why are these people bad" reaction that in retrospect was pretty gross. Like Best of the Best, the series where Eric Roberts and Dan Rhee perform 10,000 training montages to fight in a Tae Kwan Do tournament in Korea has a sequel where they gotta stop white supremacists from burning black churches in the South. People would be offended that white people were being portrayed as bad.

I think this is what cause the extreme mental breakdown to where MRAs/etc. scumbag groups started using the term red pilling to mean waking people up to how women/minorities are evil and young white guys are just the raddest, because you would need to be completely over the rainbow with dumbassness to get to the point where you use a reference to a movie directed by two trans women about a black guy and a woman waking a bland corporate dude up to the concept of systemic oppression as your cultural touchstone.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

2000-2008 the period of incredible action films such as Resident Evil: Apocalypse and Extreme Ops.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Highlanders cannot fight on holy ground. Ramirez kneels to pray as he is beheaded. The quickening comes from the heavens. Connor is thrust into a Christ pose when he receives "the prize", also from the heavens, which manifests as winged demons. The prize is a way to bring peace to mankind. Methuselah is a 900 year old human being who is known for carrying the Sword of Methuselah which vanquishes evil and comes from pre-history, just as the Highlanders do.

But yeah there were some rad swordfights and songs. I think the John Wick guy could def hit it out of the park.

They flip flopped on this in the movies vs. the series as to whether it was just an honor/faith thing or whether actual crazy poo poo goes down if they do. But as the series went on I liked that it was less holy ground and more "holy stuff" like Catholic relics or remains of particularly deified people or cemetaries. Fighting where the spirits of past folks are strong or whatever. Like in Final Dimension Mario van Peebles clowns on McLeod and is about to kill him but there's a reaction from the religious artifacts around that leaves him shaken to the point where he can't bring himself to finish him off. They're not on holy ground but rather just in a place where some relics are being stored. I thought that was kind of interesting because in the first movie Ramirez talks about fighting enemies with faith, skill and heart or whatever. So like before the gathering happens are they all just hiding their immortality by being religious figures? Are Ramirez and Kurgan weird exceptions for being so active in world affairs?

tl:dr: the sequel movies might have been more interesting if they went more into the spiritual aspects of the characters beyond the basic Christian parallels instead of the planet Zeist and each flick being so bad the next sequel had to pretend the previous one didn't exist.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Just for the record Ramirez was canonically born in 896 B.C. in Egypt. This is super important because...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

21 Muns posted:

What if the movie's soundtrack is made entirely of Queen songs that weren't written for Highlander

Licensing a bunch of actual Queen songs would be a huge improvement over the previous film, Highlander: The Source, which features an embarrassingly bad cover band playing Princes of the Universe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Wasn't there a Highlander property (maybe the TV show? It's what I grew up with) that said that Pompeii was the end result of two Roman immortals fighting in a temple?

It was in the TV series yeah, and in The Final Dimension too it's made clear that bad poo poo happens if immortals fight surrounded by holy stuff. But then in Highlander Endgame they're able to kill a bunch of immortals literally in the middle of a monastery because, and later they're able to fight in a cemetery (something gravely :haw: avoided in all other Highlander media) because to quote the villain, "I"M NOT PLAYING BY THE RUUUUULES MCLEOD!!!" but nothing happens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Both of Queen's movie albums are easily some of the best movie albums.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The guy who wrote the Ogre Battle video game series was very inspired by Queen. The first two games are based on the second album which is why it's even called Ogre Battle. The first two games in the series are Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. I'd kill for a like an official movie based on those first two albums though but understand why that can't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-5CgWP7Iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoBMhx_ap_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge18n2JCwBs

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Do all immortals fight with a blade or can you do more varied things with them? It's 2016 I want to see some diversity

The fighting ends up being close up duels because they want to decapitate each other and also because they can sense each other's presence from quite a distance, so one would already be on the look out way ahead of time. But there's also like some others said the dueling honor kind of thing they emphasize in the original movie and them all coming from times when having a well made sword was an automatic sign that you were either nobility or a mega badass or both.

However there was a reboot script from several years ago (there was this failed attempt at a Highlander resurgence there was a new video game under development that got canned everything) where in McLeod employs a sniper rifle to soften up particularly powerful ones before closing in for the kill. But all the immortals have very heightened senses, so it'd be like, you'd have to blast someone from pretty far away, by the time you close in they're already up and healing. I'm not too familiar with the TV show but I'm sure that had a bunch of different weapons in it, I mean anything that could decapitate someone is fair game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJd1ZH1CwFQ

Grendels Dad posted:

I think there is already a lot of :goonsay: about how Connor's sword was made well before swords like that were made, but what I want to know is: When and how did Kurgan get his sword? I'm assuming he's a fair bit older than Connor, and I imagine the place he comes from doesn't exactly have the most refined weapons manufacturers. Kurgan probably decapitated his first dude with a stone ax.

I always took the opposite, that the Kurgan was on the cutting ( :haw: ) edge because he has that like cool collapsible one when we see him in the present day, like whatever the most modern way of creating that type of sword he likes is that's what he wants to roll with.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

The best Highlander movie is Highlander: The Search for Vengeance. It's set in the future with less than 10 Immortals left so they're all ridiculously powerful, and the first fight is against a huge guy with an overpowered chainsaw.

Also it's The Source ( :haw: ) of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFgdte8JKI0

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 13, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

For a similar experience watch the 1992 film Shadow of the Wolf where a visibly embarrassed Toshiro Mifune plays an Inuit alongside Jennifer Tilly and Lou Diamond Philips and the film ends with Mifune jumping out of plane, CGI morphing into an hawk and flying away. He also played a half-Mexican half-Indigenous character in An Important Man in the early 60s.

But even in the Highlander series itself LMAO Connor must gather all of his strength and skill to stop KANE. A feudal Japanese warlord played by Mario van Peebles.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 13, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The series had an immortal who was trapped on a deserted not particularly bountiful island for a long time and he would periodically painfully starve to death over time, die and regenerate, then wake up fine and starve to death again. :owned:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Edit: Apparently there's a spin off called The Raven? huh, never saw it

It's super awful. Basically a buddy cop show featuring a regular human and the immortal woman who was a recurring character in the main series (Amanda? Angela?).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Yeah when I said you would have to change the setting into something like the Purge to have it set in America, I also didn't mean it wasn't possible to film it, but that it shouldn't be filmed at all.

Like a movie where heroic cops go into a poor tenement building to be torn apart by its rabid and craven residents is a neo-Nazi wet dream, and I don't see how its gonna get greenlit (or that it should). It's not the 80s anymore.

Even Colossal, that movie with the remote control monster or whatever, the trailer may as show a neon sign that says "thank God they wrote it to land in Korea so we can safely laugh at these silly non-American rescue workers and civilians get blown up." :wtc:

The Raid and Dredd are two of the best action movies in the past like ten years. And while I can understand it being a little annoying that people would dare look at Dredd and say "this is like the Raid" instead of other way around there's literally no way in hell The Raid impacted how Dredd did at the box office or that people looked at the Dredd DVD on Amazon and were like "Psshh this is just a shameless ripoff of The Raid, PASS."

Dredd flopped because it had one of the worst trailers ever made considering the content and style of the movie and because instead of doing anything that could build up interest to market it they just dumped a billion posters all over NYC of Dredd standing on top of building or whatever. Like they literally made a poster that would be perfectly camouflaged and invisible on any wall you'd see in an urban area. Also if any Euro-Goons can comment, didn't it intentionally only get released in like the most expensive possible 3D theaters in Europe instead of a wider release that included 2D ones?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 18, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I'd be surprised if the moviegoing public even remembers Stallone Dredd existed. The movie was absolutely loving awful way beyond Stallone taking off his helmet and Male Gigolo's comedy relief. The script is just super stupid with lots of jumps in the story. Like characters often magically know all about/don't know anything about poo poo that they clearly must be aware of, once Dredd gets sent out into the desert it really goes off the rails too, no direction. The makeup for Mean Machine is incredible though, one of the best "human with a bunch of cyborg sticking out" jobs ever. Basically everyone is winging it except for Stallone and Max von Sydow. Remember Joan Chen in that movie? Probably not because her role mostly consists for standing around basically looking right at the camera and appearing visibly embarrassed to be in the movie. The only good thing about the entire movie cast wise is Armand Assante chewing maximum scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueYUwcZV-n0

Hammerstein being in it was weird too. ABC Warriors was another 2000 AD comic about four badass warbots, let's build a huge animatronic of this robot character that is infamous for always fighting with a hammer and not actually have him use a hammer or do anything but walk around look intimidating until Male Gigolo hacks him. The story is dumb as hell in general. Rico escapes from the worst guarded prison in the history of mankind, he was imprisoned because he caused a massacre because he wanted to be the god of all these sick judge clones the government was manufacturing, but because he went nuts they decided the clones weren't a good idea and stopped them even though the plan was literally that they were going to make all these clones run the entire city and basically be law-dispensing gods. Like he would have achieved his goal by waiting an extra month. Also they kept all these half-grown clones around for 30 years just waiting to be woken up by Rico since no one realized it's possible to just flip a switch and that makes them all open up and they're fine. But don't worry after you see one start to rise out of its pod they're never seen or mentioned again.

I read an interview where Stallone said First Blood and Dredd were the biggest surprises of his career. First Blood because the dailies looked so awful he almost bought the rights to and canned the movie out of embarrassment, but it ended up being loving awesome after post production. Dredd because the sets/costumes/everything was really cool and people were excited to go in, and then once the movie was being made everyone realized what a shitpile it was going to be but the money was already spent so. I share his frustration about the Mega City One sets they made. The sets and all the extras walking through them are great work on everyone's part but then the story only uses them for like one minute.

Does anyone know the deal with the soundtrack fakeout or what happened with that? They got Jerry Goldsmith to make some intense music for the trailers and teasers, but then Alan Silvestri did the film's actual score.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 18, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

StuG Jeebus posted:

Alternatively, an American's seemingly innocuous actions having devastating consequences in a foreign country could be a pretty powerful global warming metaphor. I mean, probably not, but maybe.

The movie's been described as "very smart" and a lot of other things that might mean that's the case, I'll check it out when it's on Netflix or whatever but the trailers make it look like there's nothing going beyond what's in them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This trailer though, like, I'll wait for Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hpm_BcHKE

muscles like this! posted:

The really annoying thing about Timecop is the past gets changed and JCVD has a hard time convincing the boss and his tech guy that it has happened. Even though their entire job is trying to stop people from changing the past.

Timecop is still good because it gave David "1 million shower scenes and scenes of people pissing" Cage his first game industry gig by composing this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC0Qe6tN9jg

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Regarding this topic, I think The Raiders of Atlantis is one of the most fun movies ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0m-idDCLg

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Jupiter Ascending felt like such a nothing of a movie. It had potential, for sure. A movie about the byzantine machinations of the space aristocracy who render down the proletariat to artificially extend their lives should be fascinating, but it deftly avoids anything really interesting to focus, instead, on the bland adventures of a stock YA novel protagonist, and then pointedly ignores any possible interesting consequences of those adventures. It felt kind of like if Dune had been written by Stephanie Meyer.

Basically it's the best 70s anime movie ever made, even down to everyone's body language. I loved it, but it is indeed loving ridiculous and indulgent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Game over man. Game over. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

The sword fight in The 13th Warrior is pretty cool. Too bad the rest of the plot thread about the prince stirring poo poo up go lost in the cuts.

Rising Sun (The movie) was really boring and I can't remember much that happened outside of a few main points. The whole Japanese economic scare or whatever it was mostly over by the time I really became aware of anything outside kid stuff so that just seems bizarre. The Japanese guys in the movie are written as a bunch of almost extraterrestrial weirdos who cover up murders with their expertise with VCR technology. Seeing Wesley Snipes before he became a punchline was a bit of a trip too. This was also probably the point Connery's career started declining due in no small part to bad decisions in choosing what to star in.

Rising Sun is so bad for a number of reasons. But regarding its Japan-scare elements, even during production it was already derided for its bizarre "UGH these evil Japanese people just so WEIRD AND CORRUPT AARRGH!" plot. Wesley Snipes was literally cast in the movie so that the producers could say "See of course our movie isn't racist, we cast a black person in it!" Sean Connery took the role because the character in the novel was literally written with him in mind. Given Connery's ego I'm sure "okay well THIS script was actually written specifically for you and you play a zen master investigator cop fluent in Japanese who gets to dunk on the entire cast over and over again" was an easy sell.

I can't remember the book too well, but IIRC it's much more just about Snipes' and Connery's characters and how much they hate each other, like I think they straight up brawl with each other and everything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Which is why the leaked Jurassic Park 4 script is the way forward for the series. World even laid the groundwork.

This was so loving good. Did the first half even have dinosaurs in it? It was like a James Bond movie and then halfway in oh poo poo let's team up and kick rear end lizard man pals!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah if there was a show that was "Game of Thrones but everyone has a huge fuckoff pet dinosaur that's smart" people would eat it up. Budget would be insane though to make it look good. I always figured something like that was toxic forever though after Disney struck out twice, first with the mega embarrassing Dinotopia TV mini-series, then again with Disney's Dinosaurs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

The Marvel stuff sticks out a little bit, but it's not too bad.

Can you elaborate on Marvel China pandering? I never even noticed any. I know there's the extra cameo in Iron Man 3's Chinese release and the joke about that Chinese brand of milk instead of Wheaties or whatever but since it wouldn't even be possible to officially watch that version of the movie in the US who cares?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timby posted:

Some believe the casting of Tilda Swinton in Doctor Strange was because China will flat-out ban anything referencing Tibet, and both Stark and Cap use Vivo phones (a lovely low-end Chinese brand) in Civil War.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's not a "some believe," the screenwriter of Dr. Strange literally openly said this

The director said this before the movie came out to brush aside complaints about it, but later on in other interviews revealed that they whitewashed the roll because they were incapable of writing a Chinese character that wouldn't be a dragon lady because obviously they have a female Chinese person in charge of something she *HAS* to be a scheming domineering person full of treachery. The director basically said this outright and it was pretty hosed up.

People realized he was full of poo poo at first though because the Ancient One's place is no longer in Tibet in the movie, but in Nepal. So it was still mega bullshit that they couldn't cast a Nepal or Chinese person in the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is no possible way that is a career worst performance from Ben Kingsley.

I can accept it if it means the person who wrote that review was smart enough to avoid Uwe Boll's BloodRayne.

• Locked thread