Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vegetable posted:

Who does Disney need to buy for them to release the original version of A New Hope? Because as I recall, one reason why we haven’t seen it is because its rights are owned by three separate studios or something.

Fox. But that's like item 37 at best for why Disney wants to buy Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, a PG rating for any movie is about as rare as an NC17 nowadays.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All of the shorts from this run are really great and really bonkers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFeSDN9ApCs

Donald Duck pissed himself laughing in this.

Also I've yet to hear an explanation of Goofy and Pluto that doesn't make me cringe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I didn't think I'd have to say this explicitly, but if there's two different versions of the OT with different age ratings, that might confuse the poo poo out of parents who want to buy their kids the Star Wars movies. This is, again, negligible to a company that's not absurdly controversy-averse, but Disney is absurdly controversy-averse and the thought of some idiot fundie starting a shitstorm because "they made Star Wars more violent than it was when I was a kid to corrupt our children" is probably not incredibly appealing to them.
Nothing in TFA was worse than the orig-trig, the biggest controversy about the edits is that it's less violent (hashtag Han shot first). Disney loving owns Pulp Fiction, it's a big company. It's literally only a question of how much money they think they'll make re-releasing an un-edited Star Wars versus how much money and time they'd have to put into it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ignoring the spoiler image which is both terrifying and points to exactly my problem, in the cute photo based on the harness attached to the (actual) dog it's probably a service animal so Goofy shouldn't loving be petting it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Svensken posted:

That's Pluto, you racist.

Now I'm even more confused, but I stand by my original point, you don't loving pet service animals when they're working.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

"We're starting a race war"
they didn't

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Apparently Cameron is hard at work on Avatars 2-4 training his child actors to be able to hold their breath for 2-3 minutes at a time so they can film ridiculous underwater poo poo. This will surely end well.

As long as John Landis isn't a co-producer it will probably be fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Fury Road is the fifth in an incredibly well known franchise, even if its old.

Fifth?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Is his game superpower mrs incredible

I can't tell if it's depressing or just fitting that you went there instead of to Mr Fantastic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

What exactly is the difference between "Best Television Series" and "Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television"? I assumed the latter meant one-off things or a mini-series or something, but then they have things like Fargo, Big Little Lies, Mr. Robot, and Stranger Things in those categories, none of which seem like a "limited series". Although it looks like the Stranger Things and Mr. Robot noms are for supporting performances, which apparently includes all TV or something? Basically, I just don't understand the Golden Globes.

The Golden Globes nominees are determined by the Hollywood Foreign Correspondents, which is like 151 foreign journalists working in Hollywood covering movies. At least half the nominations are because they want a particular famous person to show up to their party.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You were right, The Limited Series categories involve Mini Series and Made for TV movies. Fargo is eligible for it because despite it being an ongoing show each 'season' is it's own discrete series with a new cast.

That doesn't explain Mr. Robot or Stranger Things.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Uhh guys

1. Wonder Woman assumes the Allies "must be" the good guys because essentially she met an American aviator/spy first and he happened to be really earnest and hot. As a result she completely misses that Ares is actually directing the Allies from behind the scenes, kills a bunch of innocent people based on wild assumptions, and generally gets taken for a ride and comes within a hair's breadth of failing to stop Ares because she was being a huge idiot for most of the movie.

2. Ares literally says that he's hardly ever had to do anything and that Mankind is belligerent enough without his influence. He didn't cause WWI.

I've had multiple conversations with people who've seen the movie and thought it took place during WWII.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

To be fair, I haven't heard many nice things about the book versions of Jaws, the Godfather or whatever book Die Hard was based on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

The second book in the series mentions that the 8-armed all consuming god of Municipal Darwinism (the idea that bigger Traction Cities should eat smaller ones for their resources and that this is obviously the only natural way of things and that anyone who disagrees is a dangerous radical) is called The Thatcher. The books, at least, are political.

The movie might ignore all that subtext in favour of wham bam action excitement, but I'm hopeful that it won't. Because it's the whole point. A movie with the core theme of "this way of life is unsustainable, especially with people going to hideous lengths to make sure it keeps going with them on top" is pretty relevant, after all.

Peter Jackson tends to lay out political themes in his films pretty obviously, everyone ignores it because of the special effects.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wrinkle in Time's trailer was okay. Is there bad buzz on it?

People are dumb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I liked the book that recast the story as him being a Saxon noble forced into outlaw by William the Conqueror. I think it was just called Sherwood.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

A Max Landis movie bad? NO

He's gonna get 3 million for his next script.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My favorite Lexi Alexander quote is "If I'd know how it would have upset him, I'd have blocked Max Landis on Twitter much earlier."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Also EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN TRAILER in front of Star Wars had some slowed down pop song. I really hate this trend.

That's Donnie Darko's fault.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Slashers feel a little too mean spirited for Christmas. I do love Gremlins, Rare Exports, and Krampus though. I want more like that.

Isn't Black Christmas one of the first slasher films?

Fake edit: Just checked, it came out 4 years before Halloween.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I love Mary Elizabeth Winstead, but Black Christmas sucks.

Carla Gugino is shockingly age appropriate for him, being one year older.

That's a remake of the 1974 classic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Of course, that means they were 14 and 15 when they had her

Would help explain why they aren't still together.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think it has less to do with genre and more to do with the fact that most of the successful writers are white cis-het dudes., and even then you have authors like Neil Gaiman who tries to be inclusive without being exploitative.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Let's not forget The Book of Henry, perhaps the most baffling movie of 2017 which also torpedoed Colin Trevorrow's career!

The movie so bad it got him fired from Star Wars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Star Wars such trash a competent director was removed from the projects

Yeah, I lost a lot of interest in the Han Solo flick after they fired Lord and Miller too, but we were talking about Colin Trevorrow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will scream bloody murder if it's not "Who Greenlighted"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

got any sevens posted:

I hope so but just today in the paper there was a quote from Kenny Branaugh about an agatha christie shared universe

"Coming in 2019: Marple V. Poirot"

"Do you bleed? You will."

• Locked thread