Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

thats just because nissin cup of noodles are good

This, TBH.

MacheteZombie posted:

Cannoball run in China sounds like my kind of flick.

It's funny cause Cannonball Run 2 is the movie that introduced America to Jackie Chan, however briefly.

The Cameo posted:

And for those wondering who on earth would throw Trump into Suicide Squad somehow: https://www.uproxx.com/movies/suicide-squad-trump-2016/ <- this is really ridiculous, as is expected from uproxx

This is kinda true, if you're going on the premise that this seems to, which is that people would like the right movies if they were better informed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I haven't watched it, but I haven't heard anything good. I loved Marble Hornets and own the Blu Ray of the series so I should at least give it a watch I guess.

It bored my rear end off so I can't honestly say I've watched it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like dull in service of something, but the ideas were also dull.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I'd argue that dull in service of something is different than boring, but not sure I could explain the distinction well enough. You are right though, a very interesting idea presented flatly is still worth the runtime in some cases.

Dull in service of something = The Last Broadcast.

Jack Gladney posted:

The money influx from that and their dvd sales ultimately drove them apart and killed all their future projects. That should be the plot of this movie.

Hilarious because that is literally the plot of a found footage webseries.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

The Trailer for Communion hosed me hardcore for the part where the alien peeks around from behind the corner. The movie itself is loving hilarious.

There are so many funny and stupid scenes in Communion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Woke Flintstones is the funniest drat comic on the stands.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vegetable posted:

Patriots Day has gotten mostly positive reviews. I'm flummoxed.

Berg's a good director and there's nobody really making secular religious movies about America at the moment other than Dinesh D'Souza and Clint Eastwood, both of whom are bad filmmakers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love Eastwood but he hasn't made a passably good movie in a long, long time. At least when Spike Lee lays a brick it's still got a little something of him in it, latter-day Eastwood movies look and feel like they could be made by anyone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And his output ever since makes Gran Torino look like Broken Blossoms.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Robot Style posted:

The aliens are demons, and the water that hurts them is specifically Holy Water (since Gibson's character is a priest).

That's barely even a fan theory, it's just what happens.

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of demons, Tonya Harding as portrayed by Margot Robbie:

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/821008892989575168

She looks more like if Rebel Wilson got ripped.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Robot Style posted:

"Fan Theory" is the new term for Subtext.

True.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Simplex posted:

But Shyamalan isn't an Evangelical Christian, and he's the one who wrote the movie. Mel Gibson's religious beliefs aren't really in-line with modern American Evangelicalism, except for when it suits their purposes.

It seems to me the warm and fuzzy modern rendition of Job is that God allows Satan to poo poo on Job for awhile, but Job continues to praise God, then God gives him all of his stuff back. I think if the aliens, are just that - aliens, it's easy to handwave a lot of the problematic religious context away, and just say God works in mysterious ways. But if they are demons, then its true that Job only praises God because of all the good poo poo he gives him. He didn't even have to inflict bodily harm on him, just take away his wife and dog and Job will crack. Then God doesn't give a gently caress and gives Job his stuff back anyways because he apparently doesn't really care one way or the other. That's kind of a weird interpretation even for modern American Evangelicals.

That sounds more like like Calvinism or Prosperity Gospel, i.e. modern American Evangelicalism.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zandert33 posted:

Are you sure you know what Calvinism is? I've never once heard it linked to "Prosperity Gospel" ever, and most modern mainstream Christianity believes the opposite of what Calvin taught.

Calvinism mutated into a whole different thing in America.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

Calvinism and Prosperity Gospel converge in so far as that they both frequently treat wealth and happiness as divine favour, while poverty is seen a sign that you're not part of faithful. There are legitimate theological differences between the denominations, but both are used by the powerful to justify their superior station in life.

Yes, exactly. I said "or" not "and". Both feed into modern Evangelism, despite the two traditions diverging pretty drastically.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Exactly - you could make the same exact case for how American Catholicism slowly morphed from a social justice-oriented faith to another face of 'the silent majority' and vehicle for moral crusaders who might as well be Evangelicals.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Calvinist believe that everything is preordained by an all knowing all powerful God and there is nothing you can do to change anything since you're only following your fate blindly.

"Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God" for example didn't revive Puritanism but did help birth a new evangelical tradition. The religious nationalism of Mormonism and the communitarian nature of AME churches couldn't be more different, yet both also led quite comfortably to megachurches.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zandert33 posted:

I'm sorry for the whole derail, but thanks for clarifying that. I'd argue that Calvinism is a major minority in most mainstream Christianity in America, but I get the point you're making now.

It's really important insofar as where it all began in America, even though you're more likely to meet a Quaker than an avowed Calvinist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I could see Aubrey Plaza in the Rosie Perez role. I can already see them going there with it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

His design is excellent. He's not actually a crocodile man, that's not even his comic book backstory. He's just a guy with a hosed up deformity, so he doesn't look like the Hulk but an habitual swimmer, which he is. But his affected, performative blackness is reflected in his dressing like a boxer or pro wrestler so he can unveil himself dramatically. It's all a put on, which is a great reinterpretation of the character.

It's a completely understated little story about having a "skin problem". The assumption is that the character was born with a genetic deformity that makes him brutal and animalistic

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Which iirc IS his comic backstory, complicated by his adoptive aunt (?) abusing him for his behavior issues and the social isolation she faced as the parent of a "monster"

They do a little bit of it in the cartoon, too, with the carny motif. But SS goes right for it and racializes the concept to the degree that it contrasts him with two upwardly mobile black characters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

It became prohibitively expensive. Telecom operators were doing everything in their power to block Google's ability to access utility poles, and states have been steadily blocking municipalities' ability to have their own broadband apparatus -- and franchise agreements have made it difficult for Google to get approval to lay fiber.

Widespread gigabit fiber won't happen in our lifetime. Running all new wiring to every house, in every neighborhood, in every city, just doesn't make sense. We've already wired the entire country twice (phone and cable), and it's time we make use of it: Un-bundle the local loop. Speed will go up, prices will go down and nonsense like data caps will disappear overnight.

Of course, that's likely to happen right around the time that a complete print of London After Midnight is found.
We are still reckoning with the Clinton's Telecommunications Act of 1996 and will be in another Ma Bell situation in 5 years at most.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coaaab posted:

I'm John Depp, and you're watching Celebrity Zillions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

would play the snes-era jrpg these designs are from

Hell yes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shageletic posted:

Their unions are strong

Among the strongest in the nation, in fact, maybe owing to the fact that their activity is so visible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny to think that Ronald Reagan and Charlton Heston were both president of one of the most prominent unions in the country.

It put Reagan in a great position to snitch so that's not too surprising.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

Uh, sure, Sony bought a film studio in 1989 solely to monopolize high definition home video formats seventeen years later.

This is hilarious because the original home video format war, Betamax vs. VHS, happened 15 years before that. Sony developed Betamax.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

In a way Sony won that war because Beta was used as a regular part of broadcasting for longer than VHS ended up being around.

That's true, TV stations were using it until the late 90s at least.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Japan's weird, they were all in on the Minidisc, weren't they? And I had no clue Beta had stuck around that long.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Schwarzwald posted:

Until late 2000's, when the FCC mandated the switch to digital.

That's a hell of a run.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ahh!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Just set it in The Carter from New Jack City.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jade owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Has there been a lack of terrible fun movies or does that stuff need time to... congeal? What would be a good recent example?

Suicide Squad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

suicide squad is not fun in any way. actually i lied when boomerang peaces out with the beers that's funny.

it's a real loving bad movie on every level tho.

I disagree. It's a lot like Escape From L.A., Mystery Men or Space Truckers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've honestly not seen a movie as poorly edited and i'm mad that you compared it to mystery men.

Well, all things being equal, it's better than Mystery Men.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rirse posted:

Didn't Mystery Men give us Smash Mouth's All Star?

Good god.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The conversation is about "fun" movies that take a while to get recognized for whatever it is makes them "fun" like the beloved films of the 90's. Well, since you can't be 12 again, you could at least try to be honest. People love trash. People love weird poo poo.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this subforum is a goddamn cesspool.

You're still here!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Boomerang doesn't get nothing. He gets ten years off his sentence, just like he asks for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Saddest Rhino posted:

well poo poo, i kinda wished they made him get nothing because it would be (a) a better joke and (b) emblematic of how lovely Waller & the US gov is to these guys

Instead they gave him less than nothing. This is like Bruce Wayne coming to dinner with Waller to trade intel. Waller should be dead and Bruce should be a good guy. What gives?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Saddest Rhino posted:

bruce being a good guy? that's a wildly different plot.

Not really, his two appearances so far are all about whether he's a good guy or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cyber City Oedo 808 is the better Suicide Squad.

I don't have a problem with that.

• Locked thread