Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, I want to like the movie so much more but Ron Howard really hosed up with this one.
Ron Howard hasn't done anything good in at least a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Braveheart inspired what may be the most hated piece of art in Scottish history.

It was vandalized so many times that it had to be put in a cage, and was eventually removed in 2008. At one point they attempted to sell it to Donald Trump's Scottish gold course. Don't know why he didn't go for it as everything he owns is tacky.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pickett was a dumb Confederate guy who led his troops to slaughter.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 6, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I hope the rumors are true and WWZ2 gets David Fincher to direct.

Right now I am having puberty flashbacks.
https://twitter.com/AliciaVikanderD/status/828650723797766144
She looks good but I wanted Daisy Ridley. Hoping it all works out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The controls aren't a complete disaster and the story is actually well written. Lara behaves a lot more like an actual human than some guy's wank material.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rirse posted:

Yeah the two reboot games are pretty good and Lara for the most part dress normal. The movie is looking more like the previous movies through.
She's wearing pants, that's different. That's pretty much how Lara dressed in the 2013 game. She spends most of her time wearing a jacket in ROTTR.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You also get odd cases who are just progressive because it's hip in the circles they run in. There's nothing progressive about Lena Dunham but that's the image she's chosen for herself. You could make a pretty effective Al Qaeda recruitment film out of following her around and documenting her privileged lifestyle.

See also: People who see John Lennon as hippie Jesus. A rich rear end in a top hat who beat both his wives, was a deadbeat father, and only participated in any sort of activism when it enhanced his image.

See also also: Apple's progressive image, and beatification of absolute rear end in a top hat Steve Jobs. When Jobs returned to the company in 1997 he cancelled all corporate charitable giving. But boy do those commercials make you feel like you're making a difference.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

People like Dunham or Lennon are/were progressive in some areas, but not in others. Much like Hollywood, really.
Yeah, mainly in lip service.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Admittedly it is fun throwing it out there to shut up dumb hippies.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Think Different feat Gandhi
And Cesar Chavez. Extremely ironic given the labor condition at Foxconn. Also, Jackie Robinson. They were going to have the 14th Dalai Lama on one but backed off. They did feature John and Yoko on another, bringing it full circle.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 8, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I loved Spy Hard. Haven't seen it in fifteen years so I can't say if it holds up or not, but it does have Andy Griffith as a double amputee Bond villain.
It's at least as funny as the Naked Gun movies. The only spoof of that era that I've seen that is completely without merit is Jane Austen's Mafia!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

well why not posted:

wow, that's something I'd never heard of. I wanna see a movie about subbing VOs acting like rockstars now.
Saint's Row IV has Keith David, as Keith David.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Why not just use subs? That's what I prefer, so I hear the real voice and the original actor's inflection during a scene.

I wish someone would greenlight a modern version of Emperor of the North.
How well subs work kind of depends on how fast paced the movie is, and then still there's some people who can't stand them.

After 10 hours of The Killing the subs kind of faded away and I felt like I could understand Danish.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

kiimo posted:

Word is spreading all over town that Disney screened Beauty and the Beast today for a test audience and got 100/100.
I think they're probably going to bite off more than they can chew at some point with their live action adaptations, but apparently it's not happening yet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Actually it was just reported Will smith backed out of it.
That's good. One time he didn't pull out and ended up giving Jayden to the world.

He probably backed out to do Collateral Beauty 2. Will Smith's career is starting to like Nicholas Cage's at peak debt.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Word is the Scarface remake remake is getting a rewrite from the Coen Bros
I'd prefer it if they directed it too, their producing efforts haven't been all that great. Their The Ladykillers remake was decent, but I heard their remake of Gambit was horrible and got a really limited release.

A proper Scarface remake should take plenty of time to mock the kind of idiots who think Tony Montana is a good role model.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

A) Bad Santa

B) I don't think you can save those guys. Walter white and Gordon Gekko are role models to some people.
I didn't realize they did that.

Maybe not save them but have fun at their expense.

Can someone give me a non-spoilery explanation of why Hail Caesar was so divisive? I wasn't able to catch it at the theater.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Good, they deserve each other.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think the Stallone one is pretty well forgotten by this point, along with just about everything else Stallone did in the 90s.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whoa now. Congo and Johnny Mnemonic are fun movies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've also heard nothing but good word of mouth so it's probably doing pretty well on streaming and disc sales.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Nice Guys is my pick for last year's best movie. There were a lot of stinkers last year and it's one of the few bright spots.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gonz posted:

Here's that scene, by the way. It's even better if you have no frame of reference for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fja_62Bft-Q
Also, Keith David is in it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Rumor is the new X-men film will do the Dark Phoenix Saga. You might be thinking "Tars, they already did the Dark Phoenix Saga!" Yes, but this time it will be with an actress from Game of Thrones, so it's totally different!
At this point they should just do something fun with lower stakes like a longer episode of the cartoon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

All those promotional pictures and video they made to show it was the 80s just made me wish Apocalypse had been a normal 80s teen comedy with mutants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0
That's a lot more fun than the majority of the last movie. Maybe they can advance things to 1993 now, not aging the characters at all of course, and try again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The only actor they brought back was BD Wong and they went and made him a dick on top of that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Also at the end of the book they straight up murder their CEO in cold blood by stranding him back in time in the middle of the Black Death. He never even really did anything particularly villainous aside from maybe being a little incompetent but gently caress you, Michael Crichton has authority issues so you deserve to die.
Actually he decided to let everyone who went back die because saving them was too much work, and passive aggressively tried to sabotage the rescue operation. At least that's what happened in the book, I don't remember much of the movie at all. The CEO is really similar to what Hammond is like in the JP novel so there's Crichton recycling again. His explanations of how time travel works seem incredibly flawed, almost like they were intentionally written that way. Despite its flaws I like Timeline, seems like it was the last good book he wrote before he went insane and started denying climate change. I've heard Disclosure is pretty messed up too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I love how Emily Blunt has absolutely no reservations about starring in schlocky films. She was great in The Huntsman: Winter's War as well, and among her upcoming projects are My Little Pony: The Movie and Gnomeo & Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes.
She's channeling Michael Caine quite successfully.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Does Caine still have the mansion Jaws 3 paid for?
Jaws: The Revenge is actually #4 :ssh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

I heard Pirate Latitudes was pretty decent and Spielberg wanted to adapt it, which I would allow since he's one of the few who could make Crichton's works great movies; Crichton was pretty much a hack in retrospect, though The Andromeda Strain is still a decent book.
Mixing Ibn Fadlan and Beowulf was a pretty cool idea. The movie is a bit of a mess but I still like it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The sword fight in The 13th Warrior is pretty cool. Too bad the rest of the plot thread about the prince stirring poo poo up go lost in the cuts.

Rising Sun (The movie) was really boring and I can't remember much that happened outside of a few main points. The whole Japanese economic scare or whatever it was mostly over by the time I really became aware of anything outside kid stuff so that just seems bizarre. The Japanese guys in the movie are written as a bunch of almost extraterrestrial weirdos who cover up murders with their expertise with VCR technology. Seeing Wesley Snipes before he became a punchline was a bit of a trip too. This was also probably the point Connery's career started declining due in no small part to bad decisions in choosing what to star in.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Rising Sun is so bad for a number of reasons. But regarding its Japan-scare elements, even during production it was already derided for its bizarre "UGH these evil Japanese people just so WEIRD AND CORRUPT AARRGH!" plot. Wesley Snipes was literally cast in the movie so that the producers could say "See of course our movie isn't racist, we cast a black person in it!" Sean Connery took the role because the character in the novel was literally written with him in mind. Given Connery's ego I'm sure "okay well THIS script was actually written specifically for you and you play a zen master investigator cop fluent in Japanese who gets to dunk on the entire cast over and over again" was an easy sell.

I can't remember the book too well, but IIRC it's much more just about Snipes' and Connery's characters and how much they hate each other, like I think they straight up brawl with each other and everything.
I want to believe you could write something good based partly on Japan-scare stuff without turning it into a incoherent racist mess, but now that it's over there's not really any reason to do so. With the crisis past I don't think anything that delves into it would sell very well now.

My favorite bit of media that's related to the subject is Back to the Future Part III having the bit where 1950's Doc Brown exclaims that it's no wonder the machine broke down since all these lovely components are from Japan.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think it's really funny that China is still upset about Brad Pitt starring in Seven Years in Tibet, 20 years ago. You'd probably have to remind most people in the US that it exists.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

In the 90s series they made it so there was a dinosaur (the Godzillasaurus) that lived on an island and liked to kill US troops to defend glorious Japan. Japan then left the island and the US later tested nukes on it and Godzillasaurus became Godzilla. But in that continuity there are two Godzillas (the original who is killed by the oxygen destroyer and the one who shows up in the 90s), as well as Godzilla Junior, plus creatures that utilized Godzilla's DNA like Biollante and Spacegodzilla. Also Steven Spielberg's Dad watched the Godzillasaurus kill US troops and saw a time traveling UFO.
Are you talking about the cartoon?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Most of the time he's a blast even when he's turning in subpar work but he comes from a proud tradition of English actors not giving a gently caress - Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, Malcom McDowell. He's definitely been bad in plenty of movies.
They all probably have fabulous houses in the same neighborhood.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When I was a kid I didn't realize that Rumble in the Bronx was a dubbed movie, and moreover thought it was an accurate depiction of NYC.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

It was published by Square Enix, they lean so heavily on their Western studios to subsidize their Japanese devs' wastefulness that games like Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider and Deux Ex can be bestsellers that sell millions of units and still be considered failures because it still wasn't enough to get them out of the hole they had dug themselves into. http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/26/4148780/square-enix-missed-sales-targets-sleeping-dogs-hitman-absolution-tomb-raider
I will loving choke someone if they stop this new TR series.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh boy. An outdated franchise, the last film of which didn't do all that well at the box office or with critics, and one of the most obnoxious dickheads in Hollywood today.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

syscall girl posted:

Yeah I saw some GiP goon dissing it on technical faults (which I had no idea what they were and didn't much care)

Now I know why.
A movie can be anti-war and still incredibly stupid, and The Hurt Locker is both. It's like American Sniper's opposite number. A movie that gets tons of praise it doesn't deserve and ultimately has nothing to say. You'll find that just about everyone in GIP loves Three Kings, it's a far better movie and feels accurate even though most of the story is fictional.

The only good thing about The Hurt Locker is that it kept Avatar from winning best picture.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I wonder what that apple crate's IMDB looks like. I wonder who its agent is.
How about the trench that Emilio Estevez's costars have to walk in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Plus it has Mandy Patinkin who's great in everything even if he's an rear end in a top hat to work with.
Is Patinkin that bad to work with anymore? I know he pissed off a lot of people when he walked off Criminal Minds but that was 10 years ago now.

• Locked thread