Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Matrix operates like Blade

For all everyone compares The Matrix and Dark City, having rewatched Blade recently, I was really struck by the similar feel and beats between it and The Matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

weekly font posted:

I was surprised how much V held up compared to, say, Equilibrium.

I've wondered before if Batman Begins was what caused the popularity of Equilibrium to go down. A better Christian Bale sci-fi/martial arts action movie. It's entirely anecdotal but I know with my circle of friends, we loved Equilibrium for a few years but stopped watching it around BB's release.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Spatula City posted:

What would a modern eXistenZ look like?

Perhaps it would comment on the existential tedium and pointless consumerism of the "map game".

Pokemon Go, except the Pokemon are real and also disgusting frog-crab-slug abominations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked it for the most part, but I remember a level where you had to drive your car through the city while following a plane that was just an enormous pain in the rear end.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Animatrix is more uneven than bad. World Record alone justifies its existence, and I also like Second Renaissance a lot, but Final Flight of the Osiris is ugly as gently caress and the rest I can kinda take or leave.

Yeah, Animatrix has some good parts to it. Even the stories that are kind of blah are mostly visually enjoyable. I remember seeing Final Flight of the Osiris aired in front of Dreamcatcher... it was better than Dreamcatcher. Also made by the same people who did the Final Fantasy movie, which definitely shows.

It's funny to think back in this age of "cinematic universes" and ostensibly cross-platform continuity integration (like MCU movies/TV/films, or the entire new Star Wars continuity) that the Matrix sequels had to have been one of the first examples of this, what with Matrix Reloaded, Final Flight of the Osiris and Enter the Matrix all referencing themselves, movie actors and even the Wachowskie involved in the game and Animatrix, Path of Neo being (IIRC) the supposedly canonical continuation of the movies, etc.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I didn't see any hype around this movie, the only times I've seen it mentioned anywhere were people bitching about the CGI designs of the Beast, Mrs. Potts and Cogsworth and the fugly Belle doll that everyone was making fun of. I don't even remember seeing any posters when I went to the cinemas in the last few weeks, it's like it came out of nowhere.

I've seen it advertised a lot but I don't feel like I know anyone excited for it and any reviews that were beyond "it's okay." But it's Disney so of course it's going to clean up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I actually just watched Sin City 2 on Netflix the other night and kinda liked it. The CGI looked really bad in parts and the writing suffered from the usual Frank Miller problems, but the short with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the gambler was legitimately great, and while the other two were way more uneven, they at least had the decency to put a lot of Marv in those two.

I thought the Joseph Gordon-Levitt storyline was pretty much as good as the stories from the first four Sin City comics (the only ones that are actually any good), which is saying something since it was something written by Frank Miller post-9/11. Christopher Lloyd's cameo was great, too. Outside of JGL's storyline, Eva Green and Powers Boothe were the only things in it I liked.

It honestly reminded me of one of those 90's direct-to-video sequels (like the From Dusk Till Dawn sequels for example, to stick with Rodriguez). It's almost impressive that a movie released in 2014 with a much higher budget had special effects that much worse than a movie released in 2005.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Like, what's a friendly-seeming clown even look like?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/274350/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Its fairly standard but not because it's formulaic but because it's success kind of made the formula. The original It is the reason ABC had almost yearly Stephen King mini-series all through the 90s. On top of that Tim Curry's performance elevated the whole movie.

You know, for some reason I never put together that all of King's miniseries were on ABC.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kanish posted:

He was in that OJ miniseries that is supposed to be pretty good. Honestly, I would be cashing my residual checks on a beach in tahiti If I was on that show.

I thought that Schwimmer was pretty good in it, and that his Kardashian was pretty much the only fully sympathetic character in the whole show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Just get a Cronenberg for Akira. I'm pretty sure Antiviral was fine. I dunno I only watched the first 20 minutes. I liked that creepy white dude who looks like he should be a Culkin and was in Get Out.

Antiviral was a movie whose premise was both completely ridiculous on an intellectual level yet felt completely plausible in terms of how it depicted celebrity-fan culture evolving.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

They weren't lobster men, just weird hosed up lobsters. And the cyborg bear had a satellite dish on it's head.

A Dark Tower movie without "da-da-chee, da-dum-dee" or "commala-commala-come" or some other nonsense repeated Stephen King phrase will be Not My Tower.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I remember a few crossovers, like Roland encountering some creatures from The Mist or a portal leading to the Dark Tower world in From A Buick 8. I heard The Man In Black is also supposed to Randall Flagg,

And McConaughey was supposed to be Flagg in the latest Stand movie attempt, too. (They actually go into the world of The Stand in the fourth DT book, too.) I think Pennywise made an appearance, or at least was mentioned, in one of the DT books. He was definitely briefly in Dreamcatcher when they drive through Derry.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

IIRC, King is pretty mean to himself in the DT books. Roland really doesn't like him and has to slap him into dlfinishing the books.

I like that in the first book, the illustrations of young Roland make him look like Stephen King, but old Roland is Clint Eastwood. Wonder if the real King is disappointed he didn't exactly age that well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Live action GI Joe films are being rebooted to make a new live-action series with "a more millennial approach". GI Bernie Bro?

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-hasbro-ambitions-20170321-story.html

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

parallelodad posted:

I don't believe there has ever been any society that hadn't discovered bartering. Even lower primates do it.

To quote Engels: "Darwin did not know what a bitter satire he wrote on mankind, and especially on his countrymen, when he showed that free competition, the struggle for existence, which the economists celebrate as the highest historical achievement, is the normal state of the animal kingdom."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

People are finally starting to get that Silicon Valley is full of evil assholes.

But people keep acting like Elon Musk is some visionary and every stoned ramble he makes about nuking Mars or living in the Matrix has to be seriously dissected and analyzed as if there's anything more valid to it than the conspiracy theories of a Coast to Coast AM guest.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Totall Recall is another movie that feels like a videogame plot.

I was going to make a comment about Red Faction, but realized that I don't think that Total Recall was filmed using revolutionary Geo-Mod technology, so any comparison is obviously false.

Guy Mann posted:

The first person gimmick of Hardcore Henry wad easily the weakest part of it, I would have much rather had a traditional movie about Sharlto Copley's body-hopping scientist since he was far and away the best and most entertaining part of the movie.

Well, you can say that for pretty much all of the movies Sharlto Copley's in.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Inception came out the year before so I'm not sure how people see Sucker Punch as incoherent or confusing.

I remember when Inception came out there were a ton of people talking about how confusing and convoluted it was, like it was this impossible thing to decode without watching it multiple times, when it's really fairly straightforward (but still worth watching multiple times because it's great).

Shageletic posted:

And nothing but cardboard from Charlie "Barely a Human" Hunnam.

Is there any leading guy less interesting and still as relevant as him (Worthington is now a character actor). Maybe he should stick to British roles, that'd maybe give him alittle more authenticity.

Speaking of which, he's supposedly good in The Lost City of Z, from a few reports from people who've seen advanced screening. The AV Club had an interview with the director today and the reviewer described his performance as "a revelation" (though the director mentions how when he first met Hunnam he was struck by how he was "gnawed at" by his "inadequacy"):

http://www.avclub.com/article/james-gray-found-more-adventure-lost-city-z-253454

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FishBulb posted:

They wanted 8 in May but it couldn't hit the release.

I think they've wanted all of them in May

Yeah, everyone assumed TFA was going to be in May at first, but it clearly needed as much time as possible so they put it off as long as they could while keeping it in 2015. I believe Rogue One and Episode 8 were each originally May releases at first announcement and only later got pushed back. Even the Han Solo movie for next year was originally announced for May, then Disney went through a period of only saying 2018, before again committing to May.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Freed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPumZ1eDso

(This teaser was at the end of the last one but is now online for all the true fans out there!)

For a second I read the title of that as Fifty Shades Fareed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I love the DT books, and I don't really care at all that it doesn't seem like it will be anything close to the books... but I'm skeptical it's going to actually be decent, let alone good. That trailer just gave off a lot of "let's try and salvage what we can from this" vibes. This is in contrast to the trailer for the new It movie, which I thought was a pretty good trailer despite me not really liking the book.

I'll still see it no matter what.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Which books was King on drugs for?

Pretty much the first fifteen years or so of his output.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Red Bones posted:

Is there a greater theme/idea that ties the whole Dark Tower series together? Because whenever anyone is discussing it, it sounds all over the place. And for such a weird story the trailer seems really... generic, I guess? It gives me the same vibes as something like The Last Witch Hunter, where it looks like some fairly rote fantasy/genre fiction ideas without much visual flair or distinctiveness tying it all together. Child, Narnia portal, some goblins, a cool man, a bad man, and a vaguely post-apocalyptic world. And you guys are talking about living trains and lobster men! That trailer could have used a lobster man.

I think this really sums up what struck me about this trailer. Like I said above, I'm completely fine with them doing something different from the books, but the sort of things they actually draw from the books here seem like the most surface-level stuff they could paper over a stock urban fantasy-action movie.

Neo Rasa posted:

Don't act like all three Narnia movies wouldn't have been better with guns.

Didn't one of those far-right Sad Puppy type authors a few years ago write some bonkers fantasy story about a guy who brings machine guns to some fantasy world where everyone is a pegasus, and they use the guns to launch a genocide of the other pegasus tribe, including stuff like him telling them to burn down the hospitals and kill kids? I could have sworn I saw this talked about here a few years ago and it's not the sort of thing you forget.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I generally agree that King has trouble with endings but I actually like the whole final act of The Dark Tower, even if there are hundreds of fairly awful pages leading up to it.

His short stories are definitely his best.

Yeah, there's a lot to the last Dark Tower book that I think is good, including the various endings. And I like Wolves of the Calla a lot, too. Song of Susannah was a complete waste, on the other hand.

I feel like most people who read King come around to agreeing that his short stories are the best. Night Shift is maybe my favorite book of his.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

dirksteadfast posted:

Was there ever anything in those leaked Sony emails that showed producers saying things like "Make sure the lead is white. People won't go see movies about any brownies or chinks."? It seems like notes like that would be fairly common.

Not Sony email stuff, but there was Ridley Scott's comments for his Exodus movie: "I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn't even come up."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

Why don't they just give up and make all these movies full CG? Some of them are almost there anyway. Star Wars and comic books don't need live actors.

Since Disney is churning out Star Wars movies once a year until the end of history, I hope eventually we get a Star Wars movie that's entirely about droids trying to lead a revolution to end droid exploitation in the galactic workforce.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Then Anakin's dream will be realized

The droid revolutionary will think he is Darth Vader reincarnated in a droid body and scoff at Kylo Ren for focusing only on Vader's aesthetics and not an in-depth analysis of the his economic message. I like this idea more and more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

The first one I think of for this is Tron Legacy

That at least you could explain the weirdness away by the fact that the Grid wasn't good at resolution at the time CLU was rendered.

Sky Captain and Superman Returns had early CGI resurrection of dead actors, without the de-aging.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Going back a few pages but:

Casimir Radon posted:

One of the best things about The Legend of Tarzan is that it doesn't do a franchise push at all. There could be sequels but at no point are they ever explicitly pushed, and the movie wraps up well and feels complete.

I watched The Lost City of Z over the weekend, and it strongly reminded me of The Legend of Tarzan in how it tried to blend fiction and historical characters to invert the typical white savior/exploration-as-imperialism tropes.* John Carter and Free State of Jones also kind of fit that trope of recent movies that try to subvert those old racial cliches, if imperfectly in each case.

*It's especially funny in Lost City of Z, because Percy Fawcett in the movie explicitly says that by discovering Z, it will prove the Amazonian peoples have the capacity for civilization and deserve to be treated as equals and will help lead to the abolition of slavery in the Amazon, while in reality, at least by the end of his life, Fawcett actually thought that Z was some kind of portal built by Atlantis that would lead to some Theosophy-based alternate dimension where death didn't exist.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I always figured the studio has to make a substantial profit to consider a movie a success. Breaking even would be a failure for them.

The other day I found out Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was the most expensive film ever made with a budget of over $400 million, but it also made like over $1 billion at the box office, so it was considered a success and now there's a 5th one about to come out.

Isn't the next Avengers movie supposed to have a budget of a billion dollars? That's utterly mind boggling to me. But I guess they do have like 67 characters in it so I imagine the actors' pay is a big chunk of that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Most of those are pretty dated examples. Past two years have been big for spy movies: Bridge of Spies, Spectre and Man from UNCLE. Probably missing a few.

Well, of the those three, Man from UNCLE had a strong comedic/parody element to it also. Even Spectre was pretty much the Daniel Craig Bond era's version of Austin Powers in how it's pretty much a stereotypical 60s Sean Connery Bond film plopped down into the super-serious 2010s.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SimonCat posted:

Saw this trailer before Alien: Covenant

I must say, the rise of nerd culture as an identity and a thing is making me feel my age.

This just looks dire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwBzUWZGS4

I will say that it at least looks better than Fanboys. But that is also damning with the faintest ever praise.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Fanboys was cute, I thought. The fawning treatment of the SW franchise in it is kinda dumb, but the jokes mostly worked for me and the movie had a lot more heart than most comedies in its vein ("trying to fulfill the goofy last wish of a buddy with cancer" is a really loving strong premise for a road trip comedy).

I'm not gonna talk it up as some unsung classic or anything, it is absolutely not that, but I'm always baffled when I see people treat a solid 7/10 movie as the Worst Thing Ever.

I followed its twisted development pretty closely at the time for whatever reason and I feel like it had a lot of promise, but the whole issue where they took it away from the original director and tried to edit out the cancer plot and fill it with sex jokes, and then gave it back to the original director with only something like two days to re-re-edit it before its completion critically wounded it. If it had only been the original concept that hadn't gotten hacked up, I'd probably be more charitable towards it. Plus I remember Seth Rogan being in it in like three or four multiple roles, all of which were insufferable.

I also remember at the time that Lucas gave them permission to use Star Wars music and sound effects for the movie, but in the end they didn't use any of it and just did the sort of generic John Williams-esque music, which I thought was weird.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Is anyone they had cast/costumes/props/etc. for the version that was the subject of Lost in La Mancha involved or is it a new thing from the ground up?

Jonathan Pryce and Rossy de Palma were in the 2000 cast as I recall, though obviously Pryce at least would have been a different role.

Really hope they keep the same sort of giant puppet props from Lost in La Mancha, though I have a feeling this is going to be a lot tighter budget than that version.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On this topic, is Nosferatu in the public domain? Given that they dumped their Dracula movie from this shared continuity, using Nosferatu instead could be a way to bring a classic vampire into it. And pretty apt considering the origins of the character in relation to Dracula.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Tom Cruise Oprah thing is really a shame because apparently the energy in the room fed it. The crowd was totally going nuts for it but once you watch it in the comfort of your living room/on your phone, it just seems insane. Here's an interesting article about that and while I don't agree with everything in it, I promise you the article is decent and not as bad as the terrible headline and teaser make it seem.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/how-youtube-and-internet-journalism-destroyed-tom-cruise-our-last-real-movie-star-4656549

It makes some really keen observations about what happened with Cruise (who is a genuine weirdo but ultimately of the harmless variety).

Just doesn't seem like an Amy Nicholson piece without Devin Faraci jumping in to call her an idiot every five seconds.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Was anyone really yearning for a sequel to an incredibly mediocre, barely remembered 27-year-old movie?

Well, if Flatliners isn't your thing, there's also a remake of Jacob's Ladder in production!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Kirk died on a ship and died on a planet, most people only die once after a 30 year career of saving the galaxy. Then he just wrote some books where he un-died.

I remember reading the first book in that series where Kirk comes back and it's so completely ridiculous. As much as Kirk is Gary Stuified in it, my favorite scene is probably the ancient McCoy being rushed in from another planet to take over for Bashir mid-surgery and show him how it's really done.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Has anyone seen It Comes at Night?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I suddenly sympathise with all those people who thought Sinbad played a genie in a movie, because I know that's not true but all of the internet tells me it is..

Nothing to worry about, simply the Mandela Effect!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just got back from seeing It Comes at Night. Only other people in the theater were three high schoolers who clearly were not impressed. I thought it was quite good - very atmospheric, great at ratcheting up the tension with webs of paranoia, hypocrisy, jealousy, questions never fully answered satisfactorily, nightmares that you're not quite sure the kid has woken up for, things that might or might not be there due to the camera angle, that the characters might or might not have seen. It reminds me of a mix of 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Road, the early Chris Pine vehicle Carriers, and a bit of Blair Witch Project. I'm really surprised it's apparently gotten such a negative reception.

Timby posted:

The two things with Norton were that he strong-armed Marvel into allowing him to rewrite the entire script (which caused some difficulties on the set, as he continued to rewrite it throughout shooting), and then both he and Leterrier fought for a much longer cut of the movie. As a result, both of them were basically blackballed from Marvel the minute the movie came out.

As I recall, before he re-wrote the script, wasn't it a direct sequel to the Ang Lee Hulk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's funny to think that Van Helsing was an attempt to not only start a shared universe, but also a cross-media shared continuity with movies/comics/animation as well as an attempt to piggyback on established IPs, years before that was the norm for every single movie to aspire to.

Actually reading the Wiki article now I had no idea that the team behind the new Mummy was originally going to remake Van Helsing, before just moving on to the Mummy. Now I know why everyone thought that Cruise was playing Van Helsing.

Speaking of, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss are making a Dracula show for the BBC. Unlikely it will be either as good as Penny Dreadful or as entertaining as the Jonathan Rhys Meyers Dracula show.

• Locked thread