Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the first I've heard about a WWZ sequel.

Didn't Disney write off like $80-100 mil on The BFG? I know it was one of the biggest flops this year because it had a decent marketing budget.

Ben Hur and Gods of Egypt are insane failures and I don't understand why you would throw so much money at those projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

The XXX trailer was in front of it. All I could think of was, of all the franchises to bring back, what made them think this was the one to go to? Though I suppose the original XXX was kind of a template for the Fast & the Furious movies around 4 or 5 when they finally turned it into "street racers who are actually secret agents". Fill it with enough xtreme sports and suggestive lipstick lesbians and I suppose it will do good enough.
I only watched the original which was dumb as all hell, never saw the sequel.

Although it cracked me up to find that they shot this pretty vindictive extra which made it onto the XXX 2 DVD where they use a body double to kill off Xander Cage in a very gruesome way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48rLcHu2Yc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Also that intro scene where an obvious James Bond stand-in goes into some kind of rave club and gets himself killed

They really were trying to make Xander Cage the 21st century James Bond and it was embarrassing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rammstein is too good for that movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Monster Trucks is tanking as expected this weekend. It's expected to finish in the $12-14 mil range. Somehow it cost at least $125 million and I'm pretty sure that figure does not include marketing.

Ben Affleck's film Live By Night, which originally had some hype, has come out to mediocre reviews and is looking at $6-8 mil for the weekend on a $65 mil budget.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

The worst thing about Grand Torino are the scenes with his family. They are badly written and unbelievable. The scene with his IRL son is also pretty dreadful, grade school tier acting.
His son is an awful actor who only gets jobs thanks to his dad as far as I can tell

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I remember that movie losing me so bad when the pilot's drug dealer showed up in the hospital. It felt like they didn't have enough faith in a serious drama about a black man, so here's a wacky white dude to dominate the scene.
Flight has some weird tonal issues. It's also kind of disjointed at times. The love interest or whatever only shows up for part of the film to preach about AA and then goes away. Then there's John Goodman as comic relief which, while good, doesn't seem to fit the tone that well. It's an alright movie but it's kinda strange.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I'M BLACK and PEE IN THAT CUP were pretty funny
And I would follow Bryan Cranston to the ends of the cinematographical world
Cranston seems like a legit cool guy based on the interviews of him I've listened to. Probably the most down to Earth guy in Hollywood. So I hope it does well for his sake.

At least that trailer is better than the first one?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do love how in the intro to RE3 they tell you all the oceans dried up for 'reasons' but they completely ignore that kind of important plot point for all future films in the series.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Plus that whole plot point was moot because that one takes place in Las Vegas so it's already in the desert

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

new kind of cat posted:

Suicide Squad was worth it for the hilarious entry and exit of Slipknot -- "the man who can climb anything!"
I can't believe they made a poster for him when he's not even in any trailers really

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen A Beautiful Mind but everything else there is definitely better than Crash.
A Beautiful Mind tries to be biographical but most of what happens is completely made up. It's a pretty typical example of a 'Hollywood historical film' which just twists actual history or an actual person for dramatic effect.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

Seltzerberg (Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer) are back in Star Wars form:
It's apparently been 7 years since they had a theatrical release. That was the much maligned 'Vampires Suck' (bad Twilight spoof). Since then they have done a Hunger Games spoof, a Fast and the Furious spoof, and some movie that I'm assuming references Bridesmaids and party movies.

At one point they were supposed to be doing that movie that was a parody of blockbusters like Avatar but it seems to have completely disappeared?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

Did Jonathan Silverman do too much blow and burn all his bridges in the 90's or something?
Yes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Apparently Avatar 2 won't be coming out next year. If they manage to get it out in 2019 that that will have been a decade, which should be plenty of time for people to evaluate why they care?
They are opening a new expansion at Disney's Animal Kingdom down here in the summer that is Pandora themed.

Which they built in maybe 3 years, aka 1/3 of the time it apparently takes to make an Avatar movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Matrix officially being rebooted by WB. Bolded the only part that matters

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matrix-reboot-works-at-warner-bros-986292
I find it hard to believe they will be able to successfully modernize this without it seeming weird, since the original was a product of the time period in many ways

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Matrix sequels just get so far up their own rear end with the mythology that the story drowns in it. This seems to become more and more of a problem as you go through the Wachowskis' catalogue of movies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

precision posted:

I haven't watched it in a long rear end time but one of the special features on Reloaded was "the making of the freeway scene" and holy poo poo, it is impressive and excessive
Yes, they built a mini-freeway in CA they could shoot all of this on which is crazy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

What's the thread consensus on Power Rangers anyway? Some of the reviews of seen say it's too moody and doesn't spend enough time being fun.
Nothing interesting really happens until the last act. Apparently they keep teasing that the kids are about to Morph and then not doing it (this is probably a budget limitation).

Supposedly Elizabeth Banks chews all of the scenery in sight

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did Keith Richards turn them down or something?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i haven't watched most of the transformers movies, why did they make optimus prime a bad guy in them?
Because Bay hates everyone's childhood

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

King Arthur made $14 mil domestic this weekend on a $175 mil budget (I think that is not counting marketing).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

He was good in Pacific Rim and Crimson Peak. This last movie's failure isn't his fault. Worthington is bland and got cast in a bunch of bad movies.
Worthington does not seem to get the same level of work he did like 5 years ago, but I guess if nothing else he will get some of that Avatar money if those sequels ever come out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wasn't even aware there was a new King Arthur movie out until yesterday, so that sounds about right.
For some reason the trailer was attached to Rogue One when I saw that last December

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really don't like the Young Drake idea. The game was smart not to let that drag on for too long.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pirates 1 is a legit good movie. Basically after that the franchise takes a nosedive once you get about halfway through the second.

So Baywatch is DOA at the box office this weekend and is only going to bring in around $21 million which is pretty low for a movie with The Rock in it. Meanwhile Pirates 5 is looking at about a $75 mil weekend.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-pirates-of-the-caribbean-baywatch-2-1202446564/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Films like Pirates are not going to be copied that much because they cost an insane amount to make.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

CHiPS made less in its entire run than Baywatch made on opening weekend. It bombed super super hard.
For as much as I think that doing a Baywatch movie in 2017 is a dumb idea (it seems like a major product of its time and has not been relevant in years), doing a CHiPS film in 2017 is 1000x stupider.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

More successful than the movie reboots of 60s and 70s TV shows, remember S.W.A.T.? I Spy? Dukes of Hazzard?

For real though we can't stop doing 90s reboots until Thunder in Paradise and The Highwayman happen.
Starsky and Hutch made $170 mil worldwide in 2004 on a $60 mil budget. Hard to say if that is a success or not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They should just put out the version of the movie with no visual effects or sound effects of note like that leaked trailer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I liked Beyond, but every single ST reboot movie has botched the villain.

I just don't understand why you wait to explain your villain's motivation until you are 5 minutes from the final action scene.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chang was great but I agree on the others

Sybok (if you can call him a villain) was also poorly used

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just want to know who thought it was a good idea (if it wasn't Cruise himself) to cast him as a character that is clearly written to be 30ish. It's distracting at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zenguitarman posted:

Kinda reminds me of this movie my friend randomly got a hold of, Cornbread, Earl, and Me about a cool young basketball player in the hood with a dope theme song too and he had everything going for him and the movie was all lighthearted and stuff except halfway through the movie he gets loving shot and the rest of the movie is a courtroom drama
One of my favorite personal examples of weird tonal shifts in a movie is that Robin Williams movie Man of the Year, where he's basically playing Jon Stewart who runs for president. Except the last half of the movie turns into a weird thriller for some reason. None of that was in the advertising, of course.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The new Transformers movie only brought in $45.3 mil domestically over the 3 day weekend ($69.1 mil in 5 days) which is very low for these kinds of movies. This will clean up internationally (particularly in China), but that has to be disappointing for the studio.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Has anyone written a good article about how much money the studio makes back from a place like China?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SyFy is doing a TV sequel to 'Deep Blue Sea', 18 years after the original came out.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/deep-blue-sea-sequel-syfy-channel-1201849640/

I can only hope they will bring back LL Cool J to do a sequel to this amazing song from the soundtrack-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkKb9OvXXvk

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm glad to see Edgar Wright did well since he deserves to get more work

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Being a total dick on set also killed Val Kilmer's career. Guy was one of the biggest stars in the world in the 90s but by the early 2000s was barely getting DTV work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm very sad for Patrick Stewart. I hope they paid him well.

• Locked thread