Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I don't know about Wonder Woman, but as Justice League is a Zack Snyder movie featuring superheroes and sequel to Batman v Superman, I predict it will end up on numerous CineD poster's Best of 2017 list.

Or maybe WB will make it mediocre enough that it becomes the first DCEU movie with a Fresh RT score.
Edit:
Actually that would be the WW movie and many who hate it will inevitably blame feminism just like they did with Ghostbusters 2016.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It made over 700 million while being a movie with mostly new characters and setting. It did pretty well all things considered.

If anything, Fantastic Beasts along with Deadpool, Suicide Squad, Rogue One and Doctor Strange shows that people welcome new additions to successful franchises.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I guess that accountant from outer space would know nothing about film distribution and theater operations so they might mistake the gross as a positive thing.

It's always worth mentioning that the box office gross is nowhere near what the studio gets and the production budget is way under what the studio actually spent. And when your production budget is $250 million then you pretty much need a billion dollar gross to be solidly profitable.

Last year, people in CD were making fun of people who thought that BvS did bad financially also saying that "people who say this obviously have no idea how Hollywood finances work". Maybe it's different now that's it Hollyweed?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Are we going to see an insane amount of new animated movies announced this year? Most of 2016's biggest movies were animated, and you can probably include Jungle Book. I'm not surprised if Lego Batman will outperform every Marvel, DC and Fox movies this year too.

And more importantly, where are all the Video Brinquedo (sp?) and Dingo knockoffs? They must be itching to cash in on this. Will Asylum buy them?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

The thing most people forget is that in a movie that takes place in a modern day context, large chunks of the budget get covered by product placement.

Like, Jeep paid a shitload of money to have Bruce Wayne drive it at the beginning of BvS. As did Aston Martin to have that big shot where Affleck yanks the tarp off of it. I also imagine they also pay more to get the shot to show up in trailers - like the Lamborghini shot that is a button in that one Dark Knight trailer.

It's why a lot of sci-fi, period pieces, and fantasy movies are the real horribly expensive stuff (as something like Star Wars or Lord of The Rings has zero capability for a brand to show up in it) and why something like John Carter was a huge drain on Disney (never mind it became a sacrificial lamb when Disney bought the Star Wars license), and also why period pieces are usually crossed with sci-fi or fantasy just to create a merchandise revenue line. No studio really trusts a movie to be a movie and just make back all the money spent on it unless it's under like $10 million (the Midnight Specials and indie pickups and long-gestating Oscar bait pictures).

Like Blade Runner 2049 will have a good amount of budget covered by product placement, which also helped pay for the original - I wonder if Coke will spend money to carry on what's one of the more famous instances of their logo showing up in cinema.

I guess this is why Final Fantasy 15 is loaded with product placements despite not even taking place on Earth. The production of the game is so long the budget must have been enormous, so your characters can buy Nissin cup noodles from shops that accept American Express.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The companion ad to that DLC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc59X7xS2ts

Lobok posted:

Mercedes? C'mon, he should obviously be driving an Italian car.

Even the samurai robot in Transformers 4 transformed into a Bugatti.

Curiously, he too is a Mercedes in Transformers 5.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShKWD2NKUE

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Monster Trucks did something right:

At first I was confused at the weird direction the new MacGyver is taking.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Or you could just go watch E.T. right now.

Imagine if Mac and Me was actually an original version of ET that got shelved for the monster being too scary.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Joe Carnahan finished his Uncharted adaptation script.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Eh! Frank posted:

I figured they went with 8 because going with 14 would be a bit excessive (until the eventual crossover with the originals), and it gives them room for two sequels again (Oceans 9 and 10) before reaching 11

Also because the main cast is all women so they get only 70% of the team.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I figured Hussey just looked really young, like her daughter India who played a 12-year-old when she was 19 in Underworld 4.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I heard Split is getting pretty good reviews.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

New trailer for Russian Avengers Guardians!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j450dFQQU20

This looks both janky and badass in the most Russian of ways.

By the way, Fantastic Beasts have now surpassed $800 million worldwide, so it's about as successful as the other Harry Potter movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dexie posted:

Which fan theory are we talking about here?

Not aliens, but demons.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of demons, Tonya Harding as portrayed by Margot Robbie:

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/821008892989575168

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain, vampires are bald toothless worm-infested people who farts a lot. Sounds like hobos.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope they remember that Mikasa is Asian.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

well why not posted:

That sounds like a movie I'd see with friends as an excuse to talk poo poo in a mcdonald's car park afterwards.

gotta fly around and cut up some BIG DUDES

The game adaptation is apparently pretty good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Ugh, that terrible looking schmaltzy movie A Dog's Purpose had some behind the scenes footage leak where it shows that the filmmakers were not a dog's best friend. Basically the dog is forced to perform a stunt that it is clearly not comfortable doing (swimming in simulated rapids) and has to be shoved into the water.

Footage here: http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_pfub62gb

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

according to tmz there was a humane society rep on scene, too :(

The rep got suspended after that video got out.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

They loving have a pug fight a bear on camera

Trying to regain the honor of pugs as a wardog breed.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope the purpose of Wick's new dog is to tear into the throats of mobsters and assassins.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is Power Rangers anime?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

I haven't heard anything about a controversy about that movie yet, but let me guess--animals were harmed during the making of this film? Has anyone made the following joke yet: A Dog's Purpose is to Suffer for Our Profits.

Close

http://jezebel.com/a-dogs-purpose-suffering-for-your-entertainment-1791346573

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

That's so weird. I cannot remember the last time I've seen a place that's sold caramel popcorn.

It's the only popcorn I remember being sold in Malaysian cinemas until recently. No wonder we are among the most obese in Asia.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

All my desire to watch Divergent comes from my love for Shailene Woodley, but the series definitely does not have her communing with forest creatures and consuming earth for power.

Jai Courtney also not terrible as a villain in Jack Reacher.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/823593205409017856

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

precision posted:

I'm amazed Ryan Murphy didn't jump on the Harding Incident for ACS. Or the Bobbit Incident.

Nah, he had another thing in mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qDm9D422tQ

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Margot Robbie also won a People's Choice and a Critic's Choice for Action Movie Actress.

Critic's Choice Awards also saw Deadpool winning Best Comedy and Best Actor in A Comedy for Ryan Reynolds.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want a Lovecraftian being whose weakness is the existence of black people.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jacob Tremblay of Room fame will play an autistic kid who might decode the Predator language.

Guy Mann posted:

Magneto breaking bad after his wife and daughter was killed deserved a better movie, if only because mass decapitation strikes me as really gruesome for PG-13 even if it was technically bloodless.

I loved the final battle of Breaking Dawn Part 2 for all the PG13 decapitations.

But my favorite is from the Clone Wars cartoon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Forgot to post this one: Michael Bay's next movie will be set in a future where America's economy tanked and there is a mass migration of Americans to China. The story will be about an American-Chinese ex-Marine being hired by a Chinese billionaire to rescue his daughter in an American ghetto.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/universal-wins-bidding-war-michael-bay-produced-script-trump-like-dystopia-968359

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

"I have a hot wife"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Dubya in Transformers was on Air Force One and liked ding dongs.

Yeah, he was on his bed without shoes and asked for ding dongs (Ding dongs, man. Ding dongs, yo!). That was the sum total of what Bush did in Transformers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That's so nice that he makes sure the Lincoln Memorial is undamaged. No wonder he became an Autobot later on. And then he fights a Decepticon sadist who used to be an Autobot and whose face is literally the Decepticon symbol so Megatron literally performed the Give Me Your Face Manuever on him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Affleck is not tired of playing Batman, he's sick of nerds and their media asking him about the Batman movie every time they talk to him. He's a pretty good Batman actor and I'd be happy if he can continue doing that without being distracted by directing and editing the movie too. Live By Night shows what happens when he has to act and direct under stressful conditions.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It does seem daunting, though, that Affleck would be expected to direct, write, act (sometimes in costume), supervise the editing and maintain a physical condition for a movie with almost a $200 million budget which is something on a scale he has never done before and few other filmmakers had before this.

People loved his Batman in BvS and everything that was not Affleck's acting had to do with the costume design, direction and editing which were all someone else's job.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You know who said he wanted to direct a DC Comic movie? Chris McKay, director of The LEGO Batman movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mel Gibson for Daddy's Home 2.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/mel-gibson-eyed-for-daddys-home-2-154948288.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Suicide Squad did well enough that they are doing another movie focused on Harley Quinn with David Ayer.

edit:
And Will Smith like working with Ayer enough they are doing the Netflix orc cop movie right now. When is that coming out anyway?

• Locked thread