Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
World War Z had the most balls to the wall insane solution to a pandemic since Daybreakers so it has that going for it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Speaking of The Happing: Split, the new M. Night movie, seems to be getting a bunch of decent reviews. A sign of the end times or is the rest of January really just that bad?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 16, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

I still can't believe this movie is actually coming out. Is Sony Pictures just getting really desperate or something?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

muscles like this! posted:

So last year it was announced that John Wick's Chad Stahelski had been hired for the long in the works Highlander reboot. In a recent interview he talks about how he's basically been given free reign to do whatever he wants with the franchise. He also mentions how bad the stuff that was previously done was with "there was aliens, meteors, spaceships, uh, DNA mutations, terrorists."

No poo poo, I break out into laughter every time someone mentions Zeist.

That's not even getting into poo poo like "THIS IS THE END OF TIME". It's difficult to quantify in words alone just how loving stupid the sequels got.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

K. Waste posted:

My top picks for 2016's best bad movies are Meet the Blacks, London Has Fallen, and Gods of Egypt

The concept behind Gods of Egypt sounds loving bonkers but everything I've heard makes it sound pretty boring in practice.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Jared Leto and that performance is about what the Joker deserves as a character. from what I could see (which isn't much cuz I wasn't dumb enough to watch the film) he's a ridiculous dumb cartoony gangster clown man and has a ton of stupid & fake affectations and physical features and imo that's pretty Jokerish so cool.
Heath Ledger was special but ya didn't deserve it and it killed him and stole Michael Shannon's rightful supporting oscar (I still think he should've won anyway yeah I said it)

I know it's trendy to hate Jared Leto now for some reason like it was (unless it still is) with Shia LaBeouf but like, he's a pretty solid actor who's been in some pretty good movies and he deserves more than dumb comic book movies anyway

I think a lot of it has to do with all the pranks and poo poo he pulled to get in character for his performance, so people were expecting something on the level of Heath Ledger's Joker. That and a lot of the advertising hyped him up as a major character.

Then SS actually came out and it turned out he had gently caress all to do with the plot.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

muscles like this! posted:

The Disney live action Mulan movie won't be a musical. Boo!

To be fair, the original wasn't much of one either. Like theres a couple songs in the first half of the movie; then they get to the ruined village and the musical aspects literally come to a screeching halt.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of specre what was the original third act that the execs were upset about in the email leaks? i'm a huge bond fan and man was that movie just a loving mess. i don't know how the reveal of who blofeld was got past an initial brainstorming sesh.

the only good part of the movie is that hinx's death is a reference to jaws (the movie). i hope it was intentional.

My favorite part of the movie was when Bond walked in on the council of doom or whatever they were called and they're just listing off all these cartoonishly evil acts like it's an ordinary board meeting. It was kind of hard to take things seriously after that.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They haven't given up on the villain flicks, there's a Cruella film in the works. Emma Stone is currently set to star.

Edit: also a sequel to Maleficent

I really want to see how/if they try to put a positive spin on a character who's single most defining trait is "I want to murder a whole loving lot of puppies for profit".

I've only seen a few bits and pieces of Maleficent but it looked like they turned her into some kind of anti-villainous underdog type and also she was leading a bunch of swamp creatures to war or something? Is that about right?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

syscall girl posted:

I'm anticipating a world that's islam-o-phobic enough to slurp down The Last Battle in its full glorious original intent. Buzzard-rack the Islamic Shock presiding over a stealthed hell portal and ushering in all the faithful libtards while the children of Aslan remain steadfast with their furry militias...

Don't forget the one girl who doesn't get to go to heaven because she was too busy putting or makeup to get caught in a massive train crash!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Tars Tarkas posted:

My theory is they moved it up so no one else died during production

I can't wait to see how they try to handle the Liea stuff in episode 8, they seemed to be banking on her being a fairly important character in the last movie. Did they ever say how much of her scenes they finished before Carrie's death?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Stephen King is basically weirdness incarnate. Sometimes it works for him (IT, the first few dark tower books), sometimes it doesn't (Cell, the last few dark tower books) but you really can't fault the guy for just being so out there so many times.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

syscall girl posted:

Second to last season coming up. Imagine the last one is scripted at least.

Also note that the book series the tv show is based on still isn't anywhere near done.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

CelticPredator posted:

Considering most people think the first 2 are good and the rest is total garbage (not my opinion), that's not too bad for an R Rated franchise that most people dislike.

Alien 3 is pretty divisive but I think there was a re-release a few years back that a lot of people liked.

Alien 4 is really loving dumb.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
More and more negative reviews are piling up for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, its already sitting at a metascore of 38 and the drat thing hasn't even come out yet.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Ape Agitator posted:

3 was, as mentioned, a terrible shart because all the setup and promise of the Kraken and big ship melee was dropped (due to time, budget, a choice?). I literally can't recall Pirates 4, despite having seen it.

I think the problem with 3 was they got so caught up with the HUGE, EPIC FINAL BOSS FIGHT that they either forgot about everything else or didn't think it was important enough to warrant that kind of effort. The whirlpool fight has so much poo poo going on in it but everything else just feels like an afterthought.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm... not sure offhand but I think the live-action kids show one?

it definitely had an episode where Robocop fights Roddy Piper

Was it in an alleyway, and did it last for 5+ minutes?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Guy Mann posted:

Esquire's write-up of Book of Henry is what I read, I feel it does a better job breaking down the actual beat-by-beat plot of the movie.

Sweet Jesus, this is they guy they have set to direct the next Star Wars film!?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Cage posted:

I thought Id look up what some of his latest movies were. Good god he looks like a bloated, saggy Danny McBride.

The contrast between that fat neck and normal body is amazing.

:lol: Did they really just photoshop his head onto someone else's body!?

Also for some reason I thought he was the villain in Broken Arrow but I looked it up and apparently it was Travolta. I wonder how the fight scenes in that movie would have panned out if it was him instead.

Guy Mann posted:

I always liked Segal being in Machete and ending his fight scene by committing suppuku, presumably because he refused to allow himself to lose a fight in a movie.

IIRC, his character actually fucks it up too and he just spends his final moments in a fetal position pathetically bleeding out instead of looking like a badass.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the new Dark Tower movie is getting savaged pretty badly right now.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Barudak posted:

I keep forgetting thats an actual film movie and not a DTV or series premier.

It kind of is since this is supposed to be the lead-in to a new TV series.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Didn't The Gunslinger get completely re-written at one point? Also isn't King really picky about how his work gets adapted because of all the poo poo Stanley Kubrick pulled while filming The Shining?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 5, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

FilthyImp posted:

Now if it looks hosed you can just do a pass in CGI, or model the whole thing in a computer to avoid all the planning a physical effect would entail. Then you get Legolas grinding sick air on a war elephant.

This is a bit of a derail, but I re-watched the LOTR trilogy a few weeks back and holy poo poo, almost every single time Legolas does something just looks awful. I think the worst moment is in Fellowship when he's fighting the Troll. He very obviously and very suddenly turns into a CGI puppet and after flailing about for a bit he jumps in such a way that makes him look like a mannequin slowly floating off the bottom of the screen. The only Legolas moment I can think of that actually looks pretty good is when he's riding the shield during Helms Deep and I think that may have been an actual live-action stunt.

The MSJ posted:

Box office update: Thanks to Annabelle: Creation, WB now has two billion-dollar cinematic universes.

Why the gently caress do people like Annabelle, I'm genuinely curious. Like I'm pretty sure none of The Conjuring films have ever been particularily lauded but they seem to make bank.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 20, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Last year I had a list of like 30 favorite movies.

This year I have 5, and I'm even iffy about a couple of those being favorites of the year.

We still have a couple months to go before the year's out, anything could happen.

That said, December's probably going to be a ghost town since that's when Star Wars 8 is set to come out.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Ape Agitator posted:

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was on Epix yesterday. Like... How? It's amazing to see some nice proper Spielberg IJ action set to such awful premises.

IIRC, Spielberg ended up going along with a bunch of Lucas' suggestions which.... probably wasn't the best idea in retrospect.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Fantastic Beasts was way better than I was expecting it to be. I really liked how the main character would shift from awkward nerdy guy to badass safari professional whenever he was actually in his element.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also Friend Request, which looks so bad but it's also the kind of cheap horror film that makes lots of money back even though no one really likes it.

We're also getting into Halloween season so that's another factor to keep in mind.

Are there any other "big" horror films set to come out soon? I thought I heard something about a new Paranormal Activity but I haven't really been keeping track lately.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Samuel Clemens posted:

Do Japanese filmgoers believe Hollywood loves to pepper its scrips with expletives, or is that just how they assume all Americans talk?

I mean, if binge-reading all of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has taught me anything it's that "Americans swear A LOT" and "Americans are extremely rude" are pretty big stereotypes in Japanese media.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

I only saw The Rock once and that was...probably a decade ago? I don't remember it being particularly good though, and I'm a huge Nic Cage fan. Maybe I should revisit it one of these days.

The Rock is just this really weird and amazing mix of talent that I don't think has ever been seen before or since. Michael Bay as director, Sean loving Connery staring alongside Nicholas Cage in one of his peak Nicholas Cage roles. I think Quentin Tarantino even did a script draft (though I don't know how much of that made it into the final film). It may not be the best movie ever made but it'll always be one of my favorites.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Inescapable Duck posted:

Well, you'd think a being that can fly and see the future would know when a car is coming.

So basically they're these guys?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Anyone want to start taking bets on how long it takes for Woody Allen to be accused? it's got to be a matter of time at this rate.

The Disaster Artist :getin:

I would be so loving hyped if Disaster Artist actually wins. For real, that would be some next level poetic irony.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 3, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Maybe accused was the wrong word. I mean actually held accountable for all the heinous poo poo he's done and publicly dragged through the mud, a la Wienstien and co.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 3, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I remember liking the first two Mummy movies and really hating the third.

It's unfortunate because my local theater used to play short interviews with the stars of upcoming movies before the previews started. For the longest time they played an interview for Mummy III and they all sounded really excited to be working on the series again.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
The idea of a Metal Gear Solid movie weirds me out so much; batshit plot aside the thing that makes that game so memorable is the very creative ways in which it uses its medium to interact with the player ("SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE!", using the codec number in the manual to reach an important contact). You're going to lose a lot of that magic trying to turn it into a movie; no interacting with the viewer and the plot is probably going to get pared down to its most basic elements. Like, why even bother at that point?

Edit: And thats not even getting started on MGS2. How the gently caress do you even approach THAT!?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 10, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Kong director means the helicopter action is going to be on point.

I hope it's a shot-for-shot remake of The Twin Snakes.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

precision posted:

Part of the reason I'm surprised there isn't a concentrated and serious push for Wheel of Time movies is that, if they're successful, you could have a movie every year or two for decades without even having to deviate from the books.

Anyone at all familiar with the plot of Crossroads of Twilight might disagree with you there. :v:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on how the MCU works but if I had to guess I'd imagine 60+ years of experience dealing with constant superhero team-ups, crossovers and reboots probably contributed a fair bit to their success. You don't keep doing something like that for that long without picking up a few tricks.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
rear end Creed is a really weird series where they've churned out like a hundred games now; usually poo poo but sometimes really really good and there seems to be no real rhyme or reason as to which one the next game will be.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Didn't Superman have a beard when he was revived in the comics? Or was that a mullet?

Whatever, just say it was a side-effect of the process and leave it at that. But no, we gotta give the CGI department more to do I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I can't believe his name is actually loving Steppenwolf, I thought that was just RLM making a dumb joke.

• Locked thread