Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Casimir Radon posted:

The UK had that lovely Carry On series.

I think you mean "The UK has that lovely Carry On series." They announced they're going to start making them again starting with Carry On Doctors sometime this year followed by Carry On Campus, although there's been a few hiccups along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

The whole point of stuff like Carry On was that it was almost entirely innuendo because you couldn't really say any of that stuff directly in movies. What's the point now that you can say whatever you want?

There's good reasons the franchise ground to a halt in 1978, only one of which was that the cast was starting to die off. The last time they tried to resurrect the series was the 1992 entry Carry On Columbus and that not only bombed but it left a stain:

quote:

In a 2004 poll of British film actors, technicians, writers and directors on British cinema, Carry On Columbus was voted the worst British film ever.

I kind of want to track it down because they managed to get Alexei Sayle, Rik Mayall, Julian Clary and Nigel Planer to play small roles.

Edit: most of the original cast died decades ago but Barbara Windsor is not only still alive but she's still working. She was in EastEnders for decades and she did the voicework for the Dormouse character in the two recent Alice in Wonderland movies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

It made over 700 million while being a movie with mostly new characters and setting. It did pretty well all things considered.

If anything, Fantastic Beasts along with Deadpool, Suicide Squad, Rogue One and Doctor Strange shows that people welcome new additions to successful franchises.

Fantastic Beasts also went up against Dr Strange and Trolls and then lost ground to Moana and Rogue One, it did pretty well for what it had to work with. But it still fell way short of all the other Harry Potter films and it had a pretty hefty production budget of $180 million so I'm guessing they were expecting it to do somewhat better. It certainly didn't set the world on fire.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rough Lobster posted:

Hahaha goddamn, did VIN Diesel burn a bridge or something to deserve this kind of scornful treatment of his character? Keep in mind I saw the original xXx when it came out, and all I know about xXx2 is that it stars Ice Cub.

Vin dropped out of the project so he could go star in The Pacifier instead so it's understandable if they were a little salty.

Edit: The Pacifier got terrible reviews but it actually made a bunch of money and completely outsold XXX2. It was announced in 2015 (10 years after it came out!) that a sequel is in the works.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 3, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the merchandising prospects on Fantastic Beasts was nowhere near as lucrative as the Harry Potter films.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Casimir Radon posted:

A real sequel or one by WWE studios? They've got a few bald wrestlers right?

Vin Diesel announced it so it looks like it'll be a real sequel, although I wouldn't all that be surprised if poo poo happened and WWE stepped in.

Edit: apparently The Rock and Bruce Willis were originally considered for Diesel's role. The movie was actually written as a vehicle for Jackie Chan and a bunch of the gags written for Jackie were kept in.

quote:

The idea of the family having a pet duck was introduced by Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant when their script had Jackie Chan attached. The running joke was that Chan's plan to kill the duck and cook it for dinner horrified the kids, and therefore Chan ended up reluctantly keeping and taking care of the pet. Even when Chan exited the project and other writers worked on the script, the duck stayed all the way through to the finished film.

Also they reshot a whole bunch of musical numbers from The Sound Of Music for this film but didn't use most of it

quote:

The play at the end of the movie was shot in a local (Toronto) professional theater called Theatre Passe Murielle. Over four days, many scenes from The Sound of Music (1965) were shot, including "Do, Re, Mi", "My Favorite Things" and "The Lonely Goatherder". These scenes were fully staged, choreographed and costumed. Some of the costumes came from the original "Sound of Music" film. In the end, almost all of it ended up on the cutting room floor.

THAT'S SHOWBIZ!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm sure the licensing deal was generous enough but it seems like they'd be better off writing something original at that point than messing with a property whose name recognition is long dead.

Not really, their original films are awful as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Studios#Released

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh gently caress I forgot about the WWE Studios film Knucklehead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj712xVNJ_I

They've made a bunch of awful films but Knucklehead alone more than erases any good will they may have earned with The Rundown and the other films starring The Rock.

Edit: oh loving hell, they apparently needed a vehicle to kickstart midget wrestler Hornswoggle's career so they came up with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYg51_PFeHA

Note: not at all related to any other leprechaun movie.

That's a hell of a starring role for Hornswoggle: completely covered in FX makeup, further hidden in shadows and not appearing at all in 95% of the shots.
But you've gotta love that Authentic Irish Countryside and all those Authentic Irish Accents. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 3, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Given that DC/Warner has absolute control over all permutations of the Batman and Superman IPs it's fairly likely that beavis broke even just on merch tie-in sales, actually.

Apparently Man of Steel's product placement licences put it into the black before it even hit screens and I'd be surprised if BvS was any different, so BvS was massively profitable for WB. But it probably wasn't as profitable as the Marvel Avengers film therefore it's a stinky loser and it smells like a butt and it likes kissing butts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21 Muns posted:

I also think it's fairly plausible, though by no means certain, that Moana will knock Suicide Squad out of the top ten some time in the next few months. It's still trucking along, and it has a staggered foreign release schedule, so we really have no idea how much it'll make in quite a few territories.

Sing might also give it a run for its money. Not that I think that Sing is a great film, just that it's going to be a stupidly popular film just like Secret Life of Pets was.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Are we going to see an insane amount of new animated movies announced this year? Most of 2016's biggest movies were animated, and you can probably include Jungle Book. I'm not surprised if Lego Batman will outperform every Marvel, DC and Fox movies this year too.

There's been an insane amount announced already: a list of 60+ animated films in theatres in 2017.

Also don't forget that 13 of the top 50 films worldwide (unadjusted) were animated (including two Ice Age sequels which each made more money than Batman v Superman) and four of them were from 2016.

A lot of those massively successful animated films cost about the same as non-animated blockbusters (Finding Dory had a production budget of $200 million, Zootopia was somewhere around $150m) but then you'll get something like Secret Life of Pets which cost $75m, made $875m worldwide and was extremely toyetic so it probably made a bunch off merchandising as well. Sing cost the same amount and will also make stupid amounts of money. Those more expensive films probably rolled in the cost of developing new animation tech into the production budget as well, so the top level animation will probably start getting cheaper and the just-making-a-quick-buck crap with big name stars attached like Secret Life of Pets, Sing and Angry Birds will similarly drop in cost. And then you've got bottom tier poo poo like Sausage Party which had production costs of $19 million but made $140m worldwide.

Tl;dr: CGI animation is getting faster, cheaper and more accessible and there's been a lot of successful animated films recently so yeah, there's gonna be an insane amount announced this year.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
xXx chat:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I only watched the original which was dumb as all hell, never saw the sequel.

I'd forgotten how dumb it was as well. Here's the scene which introduced Xander Cage and made it really, really clear that he was all in favour of video games and rock music and he was totally against squares who hated skateboarders and Mexicans and he had no respect for The Man. Also he has his own online extreme sport channel called The Xander Zone. He's cool to the max!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcG-rjoYiMo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The diner scene would have been pretty good except that it's pretty obviously ripping off the firing gun range scene from MIB from a few years earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7FJwLFxVk4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darthemed posted:

Has there been a product placement thread in CD before? Seems like a topic with a lot to discuss and dissect.

This clip would need to be in the OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjB6r-HDDI0
Or the McDonalds dance scene from Mac and Me, idk

The Cameo posted:

It's why a lot of sci-fi, period pieces, and fantasy movies are the real horribly expensive stuff (as something like Star Wars or Lord of The Rings has zero capability for a brand to show up in it)

There's been a few period movies with product placement but they've usually been played for laughs, like the Nike swoosh appearing in the Heath Ledger medieval flick A Knight's Tale

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 5, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mierenneuker posted:

That Wayne's World clip is way too subtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1YV2T-4wgs
(skip to 0:19)

spoiler alert: Mountain Dew wins

Oh you want some unsubtle product placement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Monster Trucks did something right:

That art is really reminiscent of movie poster artists like Drew Struzan and Hugh Fleming, they really did do a good job of it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Monster Trucks' only competition is family stuff left over from last year - Star Wars and Sing. Also itself, since it sat on a shelf for over a year and the monster was completely redesigned (IIRC someone in the last thread was involved in one of the old versions of the film), part of why the cost is so high.

It was originally slated for release in May 2015 so it got held back nearly two years.

And here's the report on the test screening:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I finally got around to watching The Rundown and there's a scene where The Rock has a kickass fight with Ernie Reyes Jr in the jungle so after the film I googled Reyes to see what else he'd been in recently. Turns out he's been pretty fuckin' sick with liver failure and his family is running a GoFundMe to pay his medical bills.
:smith:

But he's had a bunch of roles recently including a martial arts comedy film called Enter the Fist and the Golden Fleece which has an insane cast including martial arts movie greats Michael Dudikoff (American Ninja), Taimak (The Last Dragon) and Don 'The Dragon' Wilson plus a bizarre mix of other actors including Bill Goldberg, Danny Trejo, Richard Grieco, Sam Jones (Flash Gordon), RVD's daughter Bianca VanDamme and Michael Winslow. It was supposed to be released in 2016 but there isn't even a trailer for it anywhere, it just disappeared.

I'm not expecting this to be a great movie but it should at least be an interesting movie so I'm disappointed it never came out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21 Muns posted:

It was already pretty clear, but it's now official that Disney had all five of the top five highest grossing films of 2016.

Meanwhile the highest grossing film of 2017 is currently Underworld: Blood Wars. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21 Muns posted:

The Great Wall, actually, going by the same standard.

Only thanks to the foreign box office gross it earned in markets where it opened in 2016, it's robbing Underworld: Blood Wars of it's rightful place as 2017 #1.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

Need a Thundarr the Barbarian movie, not all this Hanna-Barbara shared universe poo poo. It's just Conan 1982 mixed with The Road Warrior mixed with Star Wars: A New Hope. How is this not already in serious development?

Sadly there's only been lovely non-serious attempts so far

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/thundarr-the-barbarian-live-action-movie-trailer--2#/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Colostomy Bag posted:

Been ages since I've seen Thundarr. Was the rotating head two face guy the ultimate villian in it or something else?

The two-faced wizard Gemini! He was the first villain and he returned in a later episode but there was a whoooole bunch more hightech wizards apart from him.
Here's the first episode: https://vimeo.com/76916405

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

greatn posted:

I want a TJ Hooker movie.

You're not the only one: “T.J. Hooker” is headed for the bigscreen as an action comedy with David Foster, Ryan Heppe and series creator Rick Husky producing. But that was wayyy back in 2009 so it looks like the project may have stalled.

We also nearly got The Fall Guy starring The Rock but it looks like that may have stalled as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is Will Ferell's Manimal still happening?

There's been no news for years so it's not looking good. :(

Manimal was pretty lovely but it was practically a masterpiece compared to some of the other crap broadcast in the early 80s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lloeUkQ1m8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've been reading Monster Trucks reviews and I dumbfounded to learn the dude in the trailers is supposed to be a teenager in high school.

An actual high school or a fake 1980s movie high school?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They were trying reeeeeeal hard to get a MacGyver movie up and going for a long long time. In early 2016 they announced a TV series but were still holding out for a separate movie as well, looks like the cool reception on the TV series has backed them off on the movie for the time being.
MacGyver also had a mid 90s revival with a handful of TV movies and then disappeared again for a long time, as did Cagney & Lacey, Hart to Hart, Hunter and Simon & Simon. There's also current attempts to start new series of 80s series including Magnum PI (about his daughter), Remington Steele (as a comedy) and The A-Team (with a mixed gender team) and probably a dozen others that haven't been announced yet.

80s crime-solving TV dramas are never going to die. They're just going to keep coming back again and again and again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phylodox posted:

I'm looking forward to the 80s Action Dramas Cinematic Universe.

"I'm here to talk to you about the A-Team Initiative."

Just in case someone hasn't seen this:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

precision posted:

Movie trailers have been doing that exact thing for a long time, you just now noticed?

It's a cool idea and It's a cool idea and I think we should start doing it on our posts as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New trailer for Russian Avengers Guardians!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j450dFQQU20

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

How many loving Bears are in this thing.

I mean, it'll never be enough.

I think there's only one, the bear dude can change halfway into a giant werebear or all the way into a full bear

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

By the way, Fantastic Beasts have now surpassed $800 million worldwide, so it's about as successful as the other Harry Potter movies.

Well, it made slightly more money than Prisoner of Azkaban which was the low point of the original movie series. All the other Harry Potter movies made between $879m and $1.3b.

If you adjust for inflation then all the original Harry Potter movies all made between $1b and $1.46b so Fantastic Beasts is still at least $200m short. I guess that's a pretty nitpicky way of looking at it but if we're judging success by comparing unadjusted grosses of film series that span several decades then that would mean that The Force Awakens was more than three times as successful as A New Hope even though A New Hope was wayyyy bigger in its day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Red Bones posted:

I think another reason US TV shows don't adapt ongoing comics

They gave it a shot back in '66, the results weren't great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJ5sGZsGgY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dirksteadfast posted:

It's in the January dumping ground, so the studio was already looking to write this one off. But man, the leaked video was probably the absolute worst PR for a movie targeted towards sentimental dog lovers.

I know that a dog club here in Australia was organising a big fundraising event around the film but have cancelled the entire thing. All the dog lovers I know are livid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Everything Xander cage says and thinks is cool is really cringe worthy and somehow nobody calls him on his poo poo.

So they're repeating the same formula that made the original film a smash hit? WELCOME TO THE XANDER ZONE! /does a sweet kick flip

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FishBulb posted:

I feel like Dune is one of those projects where I'll believe it when it's finished and out. They'll probably churn through 5 directors before it actually shoots.

They've no doubt gone through several page-one script rewrites over several years (if not decades) and possibly enlisted and then lost several directors before they even got to the point where they felt confident enough to publicly announce the project.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

This got tweeted out by the twitter account for The Great Wall before being hastily deleted: https://streamable.com/o2vcc

It's been taken down, what was it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AlexF posted:

I've seen John Wick 2 five times now (working on the German dub and all...) and it didn't get old yet. Quite the opposite. There's so much stuff happening and not explicitly spelled out that you'll pick up new things with every viewing. Without spoilering anything: I still don't know how you even begin to put together and then shoot something like the last set piece.

We also got a bump in rating. Part 1 was 16+ and part 2 will be 18+ in Germany (very much comparable to NC 17 stateside), so you all get to look to forward to much more close race face shooting.

They haven't even announced a release date for it here in Australia yet:

quote:

The film hasn't been classified in Australia, and none of the major cinema chains have a set screening date for it.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/where-is-john-wick-2-australia-demands-answers/

What the actual christ. :argh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

The trailer will have a slow cover of Princes of the Universe.

100% guaranteed that at least the teaser will have a slow piano cover of Princes of the Universe.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A Buttery Pastry posted:

France, despite French perceptions, is not Europe.

e: Though a belief that it basically is would explain confidence in the series' popularity across Europe, ensuring that the movie would have a lot of interest behind it in a major movie market right from the start in the mind of decision makers.

Valerian And Laureline was created by Frenchmen but it was a Franco-Belgian comic by publication. It appeared in the Franco-Belgian magazine Pilote which also featured Asterix, Blueberry, Lucky Luke and a whole bunch more series which were super popular all over Europe. Valerian was also translated into German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish and almost every other European language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ammanas posted:

You guys didn't mind that the Nice Guys was essentially the exact same movie Shane Black has made like 4 times now?

If he wants to keep making films about two main characters who become friends and trade witty dialogue at Christmas time while solving a convoluted crime plot involving a kidnapping for the next 20 years I'll keep watching them. :colbert:

• Locked thread