Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

I take offense with the "Experience A New World" when it comes across as a Shadowrun prequel.

Oh my God thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this thought. It literally looks like a Shadowrun movie, to the point where I'm shocked they didn't just license the IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Some believe the casting of Tilda Swinton in Doctor Strange was because China will flat-out ban anything referencing Tibet, and both Stark and Cap use Vivo phones (a lovely low-end Chinese brand) in Civil War.

It's not a "some believe," the screenwriter of Dr. Strange literally openly said this

TetsuoTW posted:

So it's OK for all those Michael Bay movies and whatnot to give sloppy blowjobs to the US government and military, but it's a travesty the moment it's another country instead?

lolling forever

yes because these things can't both be bad, one being bad necessitates the other being cool and good, I am a huge loving moron

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Sleeping Dogs + Donnie Yen

Huh, surprised that took as long as it did honestly.

e: speaking of nerd poo poo, I just found out that Christoph Waltz is playing Dr. Ido and that Jackie Earle Haley is most likely playing Desty Nova in the Battle Angel Alita movie

I am pretty god damned hype now, that is really good casting

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 3, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
How did it take this long for a Just Cause movie? I never played 3 but JC2 was like Bond meets Crank: High Voltage in game form.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

What's funny is reading Masters of Doom published in 2003. Kushner tries to give Romero a happy ending by mentioning his relationship with Stevie Case. Read today we know that that's at least two failed relationships removed from the present.

it's legitimately kind of funny how his relationships got progressively less and less, y'know, way the gently caress out of his league until he ended up shacking up with a woman who looks like she spends half the year at renfaires

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Brenda Romero is cool as hell though.

not disagreeing, she seems rad! doesn't make the progression of Romero's relationships any less humorous to me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

Stevie Case was actually a bit overweight when they met, and she later lost some weight and got implants. She still does have a career so as cringey as all the :siren:JOHN ROMERO'S GIRLFRIEND!!!!1:siren: poo poo was she's apparently good enough at something to keep getting work.

okay that's not really information I needed to know that badly but cool :psyduck:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a ton of FMV in that game too that's actually deleted exposition scenes/more scenes with Jada Plinkett Smith/a few other characters, I think they even shot some scenes specifically for it because they were that sure everyone on earth was going to play that awful game.

Enter the Matrix sold a loving shitload of copies so I'm not exactly surprised they expected people to have played the game they bought

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

The freeway sequence plus the Neo fight is incredible and is still excellent to this day, even if a lot of the CGI has not aged well. Downside is it is attached to an otherwise middling film whose next best sequence is thefight between neo and a pathway guardian.

At least its not animatrix or revolutions bad tbough.

Animatrix is more uneven than bad. World Record alone justifies its existence, and I also like Second Renaissance a lot, but Final Flight of the Osiris is ugly as gently caress and the rest I can kinda take or leave.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

World Record reminds me of Neo Tokyo's The Running Man segment.

https://vimeo.com/121083958

Same writer, Yoshiaki Kawajiri. He also did Ninja Scroll.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

Actually, Kawajiri directed Program, with the samurai woman fighting her turncoat lover. World Record is Takeshi Koike, who brought us Redline. They have similar art styles and Madhouse, Kawajiri's studio, was responsible for both.

Go look it up. Koike directed World Record, but Kawajiri is credited as writing it, per Wikipedia.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i've read on chinese rumour mills that people are actively advocating for Jing Tian of The Great Wall and Kong (and the upcoming Pacific Rim 2) NOT be Mulan. If you've watched any of these movies, you'll be surprised at how top billing she gets with her... uh, acting prowess.

I haven't seen any of those yet, better or worse than Angelababy in ID4: Resurgence? Because Angelababy put in the single worst English-language performance I have ever heard in that movie (though I don't feel qualified to judge her Mandarin acting).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

The director though :negative: Desperado and Sin City were cool. So was From Dusk Til Dawn. Maybe he'll channel his talent from those films instead of like... Spy Kids. And Sin City 2.

I actually just watched Sin City 2 on Netflix the other night and kinda liked it. The CGI looked really bad in parts and the writing suffered from the usual Frank Miller problems, but the short with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the gambler was legitimately great, and while the other two were way more uneven, they at least had the decency to put a lot of Marv in those two.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

How much of this is just how much Eva Green gets naked?

Eva Green has been naked in way better movies than Sin City 2. Keep in mind I'm not saying it's particularly great (frankly, the CGI made me shocked it was even in loving theaters), it just pleasantly surprised me because I went in with my expectations in the absolute dirt.

(My willingness to engage with the movie was because I saw it on Netflix, saw that it was under two hours, and went "gently caress it, why not?" I'm willing to cut a movie a lot of slack if it comes and goes relatively quickly, given how many movies are nearly 3 loving hours for no reason nowadays.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 27, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

Eva Green, naked or otherwise, is the best part of a slew of bad movies. One of these days, I hope she becomes the best part of a good movie (although I hear Penny Dreadful was pretty good?)

The Dreamers is pretty good!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sin City 2 feels and looks like a no-budget fan film made by complete amateurs.

Nah. Most of the movie is fine except for a few bits where it just abruptly falls apart; I'm assuming the budget ran out before the CGI was finished and they had to release the movie with temp effects or something.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Ghost in the Shell and subtitles, for some reason the English subtitle track on the blu-ray release of the 1995 movie is *HORRIBLE* like super lovely bootleg "Engrish" bad. What happened with that? DVD releases of it are fine.

What release are you talking about? A quick Google tells me the "25th Anniversary" blu-ray seems fine; if you imported a Blu-Ray from Japan, then yeah, I've heard that the English sub tracks on Japanese BDs can be extremely iffy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

The problem is that "diversity is good," while true, is not an adequate enough stance against the intersecting forces of injustice. If the Power Rangers are a hodgepodge of different social groups that come together in solidarity, there is still the issue of what the Rangers stand for. Same with the Avengers and Justice League. Same with the Toretto clan.

I mean, the Toretto clan stands for "gently caress rich people, let's take their poo poo and drink Coronas and drive fast cars" which is Rad

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Are "noob" and "scrub" slurs now?

I think them not being slurs is why the poster specifically set them aside from "every slur imaginable" but I could be wrong

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Peanut President posted:

Make the movie be about how in the hell the same guy served in the 1940s and like 2009 without aging.

Modern Price is WWII Price's grandson, if memory serves.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

Urkel also showed up on Full House and Step By Step, which means he could appear on Fuller House if NetFlix wants to get real cute.

Jaleel White is loving jacked as hell now, too, so that would be hilarious.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mierenneuker posted:

*sips a glass of water, accidentally crushes the glass*

"Did I do that?"

They should do a Very Special Episode about steroid use with Urkel and I legit can't believe that's a remotely sensible statement in 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

Hardcore Henry, but without any of that pesky creativity, energy and personality.

You know, the stuff it lacked in the first place. :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

Woah back off, HH rules so much I got the blueray.

:stonk: You people exist!?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'll say I was being a little overly harsh for the sake of trying to be funny, but Hardcore Henry is a really loving bad movie. Russian Tommy Wiseau and Sharlto Copley are just about all it has going for it; the choreography is mostly flat and uninspired, the visuals are serviceable at best, the script was threadbare even compared to poo poo like The Raid, and honestly I just ended up kind of checking out by the halfway point. It's honestly kinda astounding that I made it to the end.

If you wanna see a good successor to stuff like Crank and Gamer, go watch Officer Downe on Netflix. It rules.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

I don't know what you're trying to say about The Raid but I don't like it one bit.

The Raid is extremely good but the script is basically the bare minimum needed to facilitate crazy rear end-beating

Which is fine when the action is actually impressive as hell, like in The Raid, but Hardcore Henry achieves the same heights... once. Literally once, in the entire movie, does it even come close to that kind of action, during the motorcycle chase.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

There was the Don't Stop Me Now sequence towards the end too.

That just made me wish I was watching Shaun of the Dead.

Also, for me, the motorcycle chase (and, I'll admit, the parkour chase near the beginning) stood out because they were the only times the movie really leaned on its stuntwork, instead of just blurry CGI gore flying everywhere. And it's legit good stuntwork. The movie just doesn't have the budget and/or self-confidence to keep doing that, and it doesn't have the script to back it up.

Naishuller's Weeknd video showed definite improvement in the same vein, though, so I'm actually excited for whatever he does next. I just did not like HH.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 8, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

Tom Cruise is definitely playing Van Helsing, right?

It would appear that they're not including Dracula at all.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Macross Plus is seriously top 5 anime of all time, it is Extremely loving Good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Some are starting to peter out, we used to get one Underworld movie and one Resident Evil movie every year or so but I really don't know if they've got much more gas in the tank. But even then they're just planning on rebooting Resident Evil rather than letting it pass away peacefully.

Underworld is probably not ending any time soon. Blood Wars made 80 mil WW on a 35 mil budget.

e: oddly enough, looking at BoxOfficeMojo, Awakening actually outperformed the first three at the box office by a loving huge margin, and then Blood Wars was the lowest-grossing (and still made a healthy profit). Not really sure what to make of that, given Awakening was the point at which the series went from "fun middle-of-the-road action shlock" to "seriously these are barely even loving movies anymore."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Capone posted:

I will say that it at least looks better than Fanboys. But that is also damning with the faintest ever praise.

Fanboys was cute, I thought. The fawning treatment of the SW franchise in it is kinda dumb, but the jokes mostly worked for me and the movie had a lot more heart than most comedies in its vein ("trying to fulfill the goofy last wish of a buddy with cancer" is a really loving strong premise for a road trip comedy).

I'm not gonna talk it up as some unsung classic or anything, it is absolutely not that, but I'm always baffled when I see people treat a solid 7/10 movie as the Worst Thing Ever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

I saw Awakening on TV a few months back (which was also how I learned Blood Wars existed and was being released a couple of days later), and I couldn't believe that was actually a thing that they charged money to see in theaters and not a Syfy Original Movie.

I, uh... I saw it in theaters and actually really dug it at the time, though that was largely because I was at the peak of my "ugh there's no more R-rated action movies anymore!!!! grrrrr! I need gore in my shootmans movies!" phase and it sure was a shootmans movie with a fuckton of gore in it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not gonna lie, jiangshi would be loving hilariously awesome in the Underworld series.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cooked Auto posted:

After how utterly dire Blood War was this is would be a step up.

You kidding? It was a crap movie by any objective metric, but as far as pure enjoyment goes, very little this year has beaten it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

It looks like absolute rear end (the fact that it cost 35 mil to make is genuinely loving astounding and makes me wonder if a lot of that money literally got set on fire, Joker style), the actors are either talentless or sleepwalking, the script is simultaneously exposition-heavy and utterly nonsensical, the action choreography is weightless DBZ nonsense... basically any way a movie can conceivably go wrong, Blood Wars barrels loving headfirst into.

However, this has the end result of making it utterly hilarious. It is absolutely not a lazy movie; it's just incompetent.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

I don't mean how is it bad but what are the "objective standards" of movie quality

Perhaps I phrased it poorly, but the stuff I mentioned was what I was referring to when I said that. Maybe it'd be more accurate for me to say the movie lacks technical merit, or is poorly-crafted.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

gently caress no. There were two Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures shows (one animated, one live action), three different Highlander series, an animated Napoleon Dynamite series, a Rambo cartoon for kids, three Robocop series, two Uncle Buck series and so many more.

A lot of those shows owned super hard though

Highlander: The Series, for example, is fun as gently caress once you get into its general vibe, and the Robocop live-action show was... extremely loving weird but also really rad

e: the live-action one for kids, not Prime Directives, Prime Directives is utter rear end

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Which one had the hologram ghost?

I'm... not sure offhand but I think the live-action kids show one?

it definitely had an episode where Robocop fights Roddy Piper

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

- Even if he does get those rights issues sorted out and he learns something about time management, there's still the issue that by its third season, Hannibal was an obscenely expensive show that about three dozen people were watching, and that's going to be a tough sell

Hannibal's fanbase is about where Firefly's was at this point in that show's life: small, but extremely loud. Give it another 10 years and Hannibal will be loving inescapable and you'll be seeing "THIS IS MY DESIGN" T-shirts on sweaty nerds everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

"I'm sorry for the offense that was beyond my creative control" is a bad non-apology

on the other hand, if she literally had nothing to do with what happened, should she be taking responsibility for it? like that's basically what she's saying

a better characterization of her statements would be "I had no idea this was going on and I am attempting to stop it, yell at those assholes not me"

• Locked thread