Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

basic hitler posted:

i've just realized the wachowskis pretty much just make tortured homages to soylent green. Now I need to watch Speed Racer to see if it... fits...

Speed Racer's plot is that the entire racing industry exists as a way of manipulating stock prices for auto manufacturers by fixing races. The bad guy of the movie is literally the stock market, and Speed beats it by believing in himself and then blowing up about 30 other racers over the course of a race with his frenzied murderdriving skills.

Ego-bot posted:

Someone else here said it best a few years back: The movie was made so people who voted for John Kerry could feel good about themselves.

Even in 2005 so much of the country and our media was still in the thrall of violent post-9/11 idiocy that I don't really have it in me to judge anybody making a "gently caress BU$HITLER!!!" movie at the time too harshly, even if it doesn't hold up a decade later. It came out only a year after a decent percentage of the population was legitimately crying for Michael Moore to be tried for treason, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Sex scenes in movies are universally terrible and pointless wastes of time at best, and whenever you try and criticise them there's always a chorus of people who will call you a puritan and a prude and defend them out of some misguided attempt at appearing enlightened and sex-positive.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SomeJazzyRat posted:

What if we take Johnny Mnemonic and just make it about cyber criminals from a cyberpunk future jacking into a Matrix.

Turns out their cyberpunk reality is a Matrix in and of itself, and their escapades are a ruse to distract them from that fact.

This time Keanu Reeves plays the traitor character, only instead of doing it for steak like Joey Pants in the original he does it for club sandwiches and cold Mexican beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRZvITN285w

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, they built a mini-freeway in CA they could shoot all of this on which is crazy.

You can still see the drat thing on Google Maps.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget, didn't they even end up going back and re-coloring the first one so that the in-Matrix scenes matched the look of the sequels more or something?

Did they ever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

8one6 posted:

An animated 20,000 Leagues would rock!

Atlantis was OK.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
What the gently caress is this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

Seriously, watch the whole trailer. Every 30 seconds feel like they're from a completely different film.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DC Murderverse posted:

on the bright side, this should stick the sixth and (god willing) final knife in the back of American Akira

I want live-action Cowboy Bebop to happen just to watch the people on both sides tear each other apart over however Faye Valentine winds up being portrayed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

AngryBooch posted:

This movie is seriously about a troubled genius 11 year old boy dying but leaving his mother detailed plans on a tape recorder and journal about how to assassinate the cop next door who is abusing his step-daughter. That old trope.

It's hard to make "Encyclopedia Brown meets Straw Dogs" look boring but somehow it's doing it. I don't know if it's the hackiest Hollywood version of smart kid dialogue possible or the flat super sanitized directing or the fact that so much of the cast is comedians that it already feels like an SNL parody or what.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lobok posted:

On the "friendly tech billionaire" front, the villain of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 could not more obviously be Steve Jobs unless they used his name.

Yeah, that movie wasn't quite as surprisingly well-written or funny as the first but I did love that the way the villain and the evil megacorp satirized flashy feel-good Silicon Valley neoliberalism.

Also that the movie was surprisingly subversive in that the entire movie is about how its evil to kill living things just because they are made of food...only it's cute anthropomorphic dishes and not, you know, actual animals so the message probably went over a lot of parents' heads.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The solution to whitewashing is just address the different versions of the characters by their ethnicity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhtOGkUqVTU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y0oWBaMi_s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The last Call of Duty sold like half as much as they expected, they really shouldn't have waited until the franchise was dying from over saturation before trying to branch into movies.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The first person gimmick of Hardcore Henry wad easily the weakest part of it, I would have much rather had a traditional movie about Sharlto Copley's body-hopping scientist since he was far and away the best and most entertaining part of the movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ammanas posted:

John Carter was actually really good and it's a shame Disney mishandled it so badly. It could have used a bit more action but its a ton of fun.

I really wanted to like it but it felt like somebody stretched the desert planet scenes from the end of Attack of the Clones out to feature length.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I'm finding these TGIF shared universe posts fascinating.

After Disney bought ABC they did a huge crossover/marketing synergy event where all of the different shows all went to Disneyland. Including Roseanne, which really conspicuously went against its entire theme of being about a working-class family that struggled to make ends meet.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ChainsawCharlie posted:

I wouldn't go as far as 40 minutes but he really needs to find a good editor,also scripts with a couple more passes.not even rewrites,just make sure stuff has narrative flow.he seems to be a guy who gets over excited over some project and just rushes through.

Yeah, Snyder didn't write or edit these movies so people holding that against him is kind of silly.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Warner Bros is being sued for copyright infringement by the guy who wrote The Demonologist, the "non-fiction novel" about the Warrens and who claims they signed over the rights to their life story to him. Though surprisingly he's alleging that their whole story about demons and witches is actually complete bullshit and that the studio trying to claim that its real is one of the reasons why he's suing them, which makes him slightly more sympathetic than being just another supernatural huckster trying to cash in.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Violator posted:

Yeah, The Rock checks off almost all of the boxes for what I liked about Arnold movies like Commando and Predator but for some reason I just can't get into his recent stuff. Maybe the new Fast movie will turn it around for me or I'm looking at things wrong.

Arnold did amazing action movies before regressing to crappy family films and comedies, The Rock did crappy family films and comedies before finally trying to become an amazing action star for real.

Like, remember how the end of The Rundown had a cameo from Arnie as a sort of passing-the-torch moment from him to The Rock...and then it was eight years until Fast Five and until then all he did was stuff like The Pacifier and Race to Witch Mountain and Get Smart.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Violator posted:

I always thought in addition to Crank 1 and 2, that the first Transporter movie was Statham's big breakout role and considered a good action movie all things considered.

I love Crank but Crank 2 felt like it was trying way too hard to be a catchphrase/meme machine ("gently caress YOU CHELIOS!" :regd08:) and Statham's performance seemed to suffer a lot from that. He was a lot more fun as a no-nonsense hitman who was completely in over his head in the first movie while in two he seemed way more mean-spirited with the way he was hollering slurs at the Asian gangsters and taking pleasure in sadistic poo poo like shoving shotguns up dude's asses.

parallelodad posted:

Statham was fantastic in Spy, which is probably also Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy's best film.

Spy is so fantastic. It feels a lot like Observe and Report in that its a comedian intentionally playing against type yet nobody watched it because by that point said comedian was so over-saturated that they assumed it was just another "wacky fat person falls over and yells" movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tars Tarkas posted:

Beethoven's Treasure Tail is literally a budget The Goonies except it has Beethoven.

I misread that as Beethoven's Treasure Trail :heysexy:

achillesforever6 posted:

I love he shows up in the FMV game to end all FMV games Ripper
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117483/
Jesus that cast :stare:

My favorite weird "so much better than this" FMV game casting is still John Goodman starring an FMV parody of Myst called...Pyst :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fekpJwwfYd8

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quote-Unquote posted:

From a few pages back, but a friend of mine has a (very dumb) colleague utterly convinced that The Rock and Dwayne Johnson are not the same person but are in fact identical twins, so if your dream movie comes true I really hope they give top billing to both The Rock and Dwayne Johnson.

That's sillier than Andrew W.K.being multiple people but not as silly as Bigger Luke.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

Johnny Depp beat his wife.

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-telling-people-joh-53190

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://youtu.be/4C0A2GpMNP8

Dark Tower trailer. I think it looks fine. I hope it's at least that.

I don't like how small it looks. A lot of the appeal of the book is its weird druggy sense of scale where time and scale have lost all meaning in a world that has moved on and the quest for the Tower is something that involves and effects every world but in the trailer they make it look like Narnia or something. Even in the dialogue, "both our worlds" and "millions of people" instead of "all worlds" and "all people" takes away a lot of the impact and grandioseness of something that was conceived as Lord of the Rings meets The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on acid.

Also framing it as a kid who gets pulled into a fantasy world instead of a mythical cowboy-knight who meets a modern American boy in the middle of the nuclear hellscape seems like a huge misstep, like it's the kind of thing that they're hoping will make it more accessible to non-book readers but instead turns it into, again, Narnia with Guns.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Again, any differences from the books is due to the movie being a continuation of the series instead of a straight adaptation.

That explains the crazy gunbelt full of loaded cylinders, he's playing on New Game+.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 4, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Len posted:

I need to get back to that series. I'm midway through book 4 but I find it hard to care about teenage Roland and his list for a farm girl.

I've been listening to a podcast called Radio Free Mid-World that is pretty entertaining if you want to go through a sort of humorous book club discussion/recap of the books. Each episode covers a chapter of a book and between books they discuss other King books that are tied into the Dark Tower series, it premiered last November and they just finished The Drawing of the Three.

Neo Rasa posted:

Don't act like all three Narnia movies wouldn't have been better with guns.

But how would a lion hold a gun.

And no Heidrigal, that was not an invitation for you to show us.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Parasol Prophet posted:

The Long Walk seems like it'd be difficult to make into a movie, if I'm remembering it correctly (I read it in high school, years ago).

I mean, isn't it basically just... the long walk? If your teen rebel protagonist isn't fighting The Man or falling in love with a mythical creature there's no space in the YA movie boom for you.

I cluld see it working as a movie like The Mist in that it's a character study of a bunch of people trapped in a terrible situation and slowly become unhinged from fear and exhaustion. Only instead of giant bugs from another dimension it's a fascist dystopia engaging in blood sport.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

FWIH, Frank Darabout had planned to do a The Long Walk adaptation, but the Hunger Games movies derailed his plans. Or so the rumor goes.

I had heard it's because he insists on shooting it in black and white and no major studio wants to make a black and white movie in this day and age. Then again maybe are just mixing it up with The Mist, which he wanted to be B&W too but wound up having to settle for putting it as an extra on the DVD.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I swear I'm trying to be a colossal gaping rear end in a top hat when I ask you to name the great books he's written since getting hit by a loving van.

Taking a quick peak at his bibliography on Wikipedia:

-From a Buick 8 was cool because it was about a bunch of highschool-educated small town cops trying to understand and contain an otherworldly threat, a lot of people don't like it because nothing is really explained but I think that's why it works so well.

-Duma Key was a really engrossing story about a man trying to put his life back together after losing an arm in a workplace accident and the supernatural horror stuff is mostly in the background until the final act. It kind of kicked off king's post-accident renaissance and is also fairly emblematic in that regard.

-Under the Dome is over a thousand pages but it still flies by because of all the character work is so good. There are a few clunky moments where he had to write modern teenagers and his understanding of modern technology is just so Grandpa (there's a scene where the whiz-kid teenager sets up a video feed with a Macbook camera and it's treated like he's hacking the Gibson) but it's still a rad book aside from the usual King ending and him being a bit too heavy-heanded with the gently caress BU$HITLER stuff with the two heads of the city government being obvious stand-ins for Bush and Cheney.

-11/22/63 is just a great all-around story, it balances the time travel and conspiracy stuff with slice-of-life 1960s living really well and it actually has a good ending.

The last book of his I read was Doctor Sleep, which was OK aside from being a big sloppy blowjob to Alcoholics Anonymous, so I can't comment on anything past that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I actually got Under the Dome in hardcover because Walmart and Amazon got into a dick-waving contest over the pricing to the point where it was $10 at release from Amazon. It might be the last new physical book I've ever bought and at over a thousand pages long is probably the largest too.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rirse posted:

Through does Crichton still get ghost written books like Clancy after his death? Or I just mixing up Clancy games that continue after his death?

Crichton has had a few novels published posthumously based on his leftover writing scraps and notes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Live Die Repost

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Strain is literally just the vampires from Blade 2 only cheaper and more incompetent on every level and stretched out to three seasons instead of two hours.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Chairman Capone posted:

Not Sony email stuff, but there was Ridley Scott's comments for his Exodus movie: "I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn't even come up."

Comedy answer: Oliver Stone

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Thanks to the AliExpress thread I learned that there's an entire market of creepily detailed realistic tiny heads of celebrities.

Only $22!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

I need this to finally have Chev Chelios action figure.

You joke but that's pretty much the entire reason they exist, people making their own custom action figures.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ccubed posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $241,071,802 23.1%
+ Foreign: $804,642,000 76.9%
= Worldwide: $1,045,713,802

Goons are super in-touch with public tastes, that's why Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was a massive flop and Scott Pilgrim was one of the most successful films of all time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Decius posted:

Crazy popular on Twitch is something like 100-200k viewers, which is a drop in the bucket when your movie requires to sell 50-100 million tickets to be successful. Nerd poo poo and nostalgia are very popular, but sometimes it's easy to overestimate how much if you don't look also outside of the scene (or bubble as it is now called).

It worked so well for Snakes on a Plane and Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Spalec posted:

Did the Resident evil movies ever do resident evil 4? I'd love to see a adaptation of that, complete with Midget Napoleon, dumb one-liners about Bingo, the totally unexplained Merchant and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EML9VkKteXY

• Locked thread