Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Yes, I imagine Jeffrey Jones would be much more terrifying if you were a child.

Wow, I didn't know this at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wasn't gonna see that movie anyway because I know it would make me sad, but now I have a better excuse instead of just being a big baby about dogs in movies!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

kiimo posted:

When I was 12 the Naked Gun and Police Squad episodes were the funniest poo poo I'd seen in my life.

They're still goddamned hilarious.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like that the filmmakers literally sat down and decided exactly how many people it was justifiable to kill over a puppy.

There's a limit?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He looks like he was called into work while in the middle of putting on his cosplay makeup.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The 98 Godzilla soundtrack is good because it does have a few legit great songs on it, and also because it's pure 90s. See also the soundtracks for The Faculty and Scream 2.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought the whole dance party thing in Reloaded was the dumbest poo poo ever when I saw it.

He's having a huge orgy at his place later tonight! At least, that's what many of us have heard.

It is true, what many of you have heard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8pB1zRguAg

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Electromax posted:

e: It's mostly just as ambiguous as possible. But I like the old guy grabbing 2 margaritas as he runs.

That's not just an old guy, that's Jimmy Buffett!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Live Die Repeat 2 The Ghost Dimension

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Did we do "The Edge of the Day After Tomorrow"

The Edge of the Day After Tomorrow Never Dies

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rob Corddry?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm down for this so long as the group that comes together to fight the monsters are the Monster Squad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Tom Cruise has stated that Top Gun 2 is absolutely happening.

"It's true, yeah it's true," he said while beaming from ear-to-ear. "You know what? I'm going to start filming it probably in the next year. I know, it's happening, it is definitely happening."

I hope instead of a jet, it's just Tom Cruise running fast enough to fly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also Cobra Commander showed up in Transformers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Universal just needs to keep making all their monsters hot like the Mummy is.

Hot Hunchback. Hot Phantom. Hot Creature of the Black Lagoon.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

Speaking of, US Marshals was on TV this weekend. It's still such an odd choice for a sequel. I mean, I'll watch anything with Wesley Snipes in it and seeing Tommy Lee Jones in a chicken suit is great, but it's hard to watch it without thinking "why does this even exist?"

It exists because Tommy Lee Jones killed that role in The Fugitive and the character was popular enough to have their own film.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

wyoming posted:

How can anyone possibly think Marvel promotes young and upcoming talent?
Like, goddamn, guess Robert Downey Jr., Paul Rudd, all the Chrises just popped into being a few years ago.

I think maybe the way he was looking at it is that a lot of the people Marvel cast became stars thanks to those films, where Universal is casting established stars already. Evans and Hemsworth had roles before, but Captain America and Thor really made their popularity soar. Pratt wasn't thought of as a leading man until Guardians. Bautista was given a role to shine in. So I can see that argument being made.

That said, Universal would be dumb if they didn't continue to use Sofia Boutella. I think she can be a star.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I genuinely like that Hugh Jackman movie. It's basically live-action Castlevania but even dumber.

It was so bad that the audience I was watching it with started laughing at everything, which in turn made it a fun, stupid movie. The culmination being when Kate Beckinsale's face appeared in the clouds at the end. Everyone lost it there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

How is Tom Cruise going to sprint from stuff when he's in a jet cockpit?

Maverick is going to evolve to actually being able to fly as he runs.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Steven Seagal: Lawman TV show was super entertaining to watch. Not because it's good or anything, but because it's unintentionally hilarious.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

Like, so is John Wick 1's, but there's an emotional core. Dude loses his girlfriend, she left him a dog to cope with his loss, some crooks kill the dog, he goes on a murder spree. There's an emotional core to the film of a deranged ex-hitman getting revenge. Chapter 2 is... they blew up his house because he doesn't wanna be a murder-man anymore. Like, the joke is gone now, and they never came up with a new one to justify the next film, and expected to play it straight through this one... which really doesn't work.

It's a continuation from the first. John was done with that life because of his wife, and she was taken from him by a disease. He wants to respect her memory and stay out of the business he left, but is dragged back into it. He walked away from that life because of her, and he doesn't want to go back because then he will truly lose her.

It's pretty much explained when Ian McShane's character talks to the main villain. John was out, and now he's being forced back in against his wishes because all he wants is to live in peace with the memory of his wife. And he'll kill anyone who keeps him from that peace.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Isn't the budget for Avengers 3 and 4 about that much?

Though the difference is that those films are guaranteed to make it all back and then some.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

30 years later and Murtaugh still hasn't retired.

I'm really, really, really, really too old for this poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Tyrese Gibson has revealed himself to be THE STUPIDEST MAN ALIVE by issuing an ultimatum to the producers of the Fast series by saying if the Rock is in the next movie he's out.

I wonder how petty they can make his death scene now. Kill him offscreen, or hire a body double like that deleted XXX scene where they killed Vin Diesel's character.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

Rian Johnson will be making the next Star Wars trilogy after the current one ends, I guess they like the early cut of The Last Jedi!

Him getting to do an entire trilogy sounds super sweet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

precision posted:

The Biblical Cinematic Universe

A prequel for all the apostles before Jesus recruits them for the Apostle Initiative.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ror posted:

Movie - production budget, worldwide gross

MoS - 225m, 670m
BvS - 250m, 875m
ASM - 230m, 760m
ASM2 - estimated ~250m, 710m

Marketing is not included in the budgets and can easily go into additional hundreds of millions on these huge projects.

I think it came out in the Sony leaks that executives were shooting for 1 billion on ASM2 but lord knows what kind of calculations these people do to model the whims of capricious nerds. Really any of the accounting that goes into a half billion dollar entertainment project boggles the mind and I imagine on a certain level the people financing these things know that they're ultimately gambling.

I think the Marvel Cinematic Universe has driven people insane because they all plan on having these interconnected movies in a franchise and think they'll all make so much money, and then when it doesn't happen they panic. It's like Marvel has some secret formula that people can't figure out, so they destroy their failed experiments and try again with something else. Like how the Dark Universe went for Universal. Nobody seems to actually worry about making a good movie because they think it's the interconnected part that everyone loves so much.

At least the X-Men franchise has sort of grown out of this, but it took someone leaking Deadpool footage to convince them that they don't have to follow that model.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Honestly, Justice League basically made me leave the theater thinking it was "average".

The actual real fun of the movie is finding where the re-shoots were, because hoooo boy does this give Fantastic Four a run for it's money in the really obvious re-shoots department. The "Contractually Obligated Mustache of Henry Cavil" (I still believe this should be a horror book title or something) allows you to easily see which Superman scenes were re-shoots (all but one of them, Christ), and there are some really jarring shifts in scenes where suddenly the camera changes places and all of a sudden characters are throwing snarky comedy-lines before it shifts back to the original camera location and you realize you just saw a Whedon add-on in the middle of a Synder scene. If you look at the trailers from before Whedon came on you can then compare that to the movie and see that he shifted a lot of night scenes to the day, either by color shifting or flat out reshooting the scenes. The color shifts also lead to weird poo poo were the costumes look really off because Synder meant them to be shot and blocked a certain dark, gloomy way and they look fake in full daylight Whedon-vision.
EDIT: In fact, after you watch this movie, go watch all the trailers again and be amazed at how few of those scenes are in this movie.

There's already some of this out there!

Violator posted:

From the DCEU reddit. This is a cherry picked comparison obviously, but someone pointed out that they didn't include Bruce's widow's peak in the reshoots and now I can't unsee it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Now I'm even more confused, but I stand by my original point, you don't loving pet service animals when they're working.

You can pet service dogs so long as you ask permission and their owner says it's okay to.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can't wait for the Tarantino Star Trek movie where he has characters use the N-word 50 times just to let us know they still say it in the future.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Timby posted:

One of the producers was saying there are some "really big surprises" in the movie; I'd bet anything Clooney shows up.

He shows up at the end to recruit them into the Ocean Initiative.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

Good news everyone!

Apparently ORC COP (aka Bright) is terrible!

A Max Landis movie bad? NO

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

He's gonna get 3 million for his next script.

Nepotism is a hell of a thing. Get famous even when your dad kills children.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

I hope there was some bleedover into The Post, and Meryl Streep casually starts listing all her favorite Kajagoogoo songs

I hope this leads to the Tom Hanks Cinematic Universe when Woody shows up at the end and invites him to THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Doubtful, considering Paramount has like three other Transformers movies beyond Bumblebee in various stages of development and there will always be some executive somewhere thinking they've got the secret to the Marvel machine formula.

I believe that they are also having their GI Joe movie in 2020 be the start of the Hasbro Cinematic Universe with that and Micronauts and Transformers and ROM.

• Locked thread